• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

OnPoint

Well, Teferi isn't a Bradywalker

Are any of the old Planeswalkers still alive? Freyalise is the only one I don't remember getting killed
Bolas was an old one, no? Karn, too? That's a good question though.

Cryptic Command, even the terrible textless foil version, is now over 50 dollars.

Modern Masters so helpful

I remember convos with you guys about how the limited run would just drive prices higher. Looks like those were right.

y2dvd

Yeah these spikes in modern card prices is preventing me to delve into it. I mean, fetch lands are $50+ and continues to rise. As a relatively new player, those cost will pretty much guarantee I will never get into the format.

Modern Master was different though as I love drafting and MM was a great draft set. R/W Giants all day!

bigkrev

Bolas was an old one, no? Karn, too? That's a good question though.

I remember convos with you guys about how the limited run would just drive prices higher. Looks like those were right.

Was Bolas ever acknowledged as a walker before Alara block though? I put him in the Bradywalker pantheon because of that. I guess Karn, who was "killed" in the Time Spiral block (obviously just imprisoned), is an old school walker. No wonder he actually has god like powers (like resetting the game) that the newer walkers don't have.

I bet Kitchen Finks would be a 30 dollar card if it wasn't in MM (it was over 15 before the reprint, its now 4-5 dollars). Ravager would probably be super expensive as well if not for the reprint. Its more to do with the fact that Magic came the closest to dying it's ever been in the Lorwyn era that makes Cryptic super expensive I think.

OnPoint

Was Bolas ever acknowledged as a walker before Alara block though? I put him in the Bradywalker pantheon because of that. I guess Karn, who was "killed" in the Time Spiral block (obviously just imprisoned), is an old school walker. No wonder he actually has god like powers (like resetting the game) that the newer walkers don't have.

I bet Kitchen Finks would be a 30 dollar card if it wasn't in MM (it was over 15 before the reprint, its now 4-5 dollars). Ravager would probably be super expensive as well if not for the reprint. Its more to do with the fact that Magic came the closest to dying it's ever been in the Lorwyn era that makes Cryptic super expensive I think.

I just think demand outweighs availability honestly. Modern is growing and the cards are scarce. Hopefully MM2 reprints a lot of the same things.

MjFrancis

Cryptic Command, even the terrible textless foil version, is now over 50 dollars.

Modern Masters so helpful
To be fair, Cryptic Command seemed to spike after Deathrite Shaman's banning was announced:

http://www.mtgprice.com/sets/Modern_Masters/Cryptic_Command

I'm taking a stab at this and thinking many modern players were changing deck archetypes simultaneously.

Also, I do remember bidding on a playset of the textless foil version four or five months ago. The lowest Buy it Now was $125 and I was outbid to $85. Now that looks like an absolute steal.

But yes, Wizards, please reprint this card for MM2 if you weren't going to already.

I think modern masters should be a constant supply set with a rating set of pack contents. The higher pricing offsets the danger of continual availability, maybe.

The large problem eternal formats have is twofold. First is that as demand increases, the supply of required cards remains relatively static, which is what we're seeing the effects of now. The second problem is something affecting legacy and vintage more, which is people leaving the player base and taking their cards with them, driving up scarcity more. Both of these forces will just drive prices up and up, pricing most new players out of the eternal formats. A continual injection of the staples at a premium price could help counteract both pressures. It's just a matter of how much you open up the pipes...

I would love to get into modern, but my local market sucked up all the modern masters supply prerelease and I never got to crack more than 3 packs of it. I feel discouraged from getting into the format and I can only suspect that there is a large segment of the FNM population that are in the same position as I am.

I just sold my (terrible textless foil) Cryptic Command. I had won it in a tournament, and it couldn't go in my cube because of the textless-ness and that confusing people, so bye bye to it.

f0rk

I can imagine situations where you play textless Cryptics against newer players and they are so totally blown out they don't believe you when you tell them what the cards does lol

JulianImp

I can imagine situations where you play textless Cryptics against newer players and they are so totally blown out they don't believe you when you tell them what the cards does lol

It's one of those cards I believe shouldn't have been made textless. Wrath of God, Damnation and Lightning Bolt were kind of straightforward, but for Cryptic Command, not only does it have four abilities, but it has them in a specific order you have to remember when resolving it; while this affects other Commands such as the green one a whole lot more, I think there might be a corner case where Cryptic's ability order matters as well.

ultron87

Remand is going to be in the next Duel Deck. That's good to see.

Image.ashx

They put all the cards up on Gatherer early, presumably by mistake: http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/S...=advanced&set=["Duel Decks: Jace vs. Vraska"]

OnPoint

Snap decision to buy 4 rendered defunct by how bad the deck is. Will buy one and pick up the rest of the Remands as singles if the price dips low enough.

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet

I already have a single Ravnica Remand and I want them all to match.
I wonder what this will do to the price?
I mean, the demand will still be there, but I'm not sure that the duel deck will increase availability enough to bring it back down to reasonable levels.

EDIT: While browsing the cards, it looks like they fixed their error.

EDIT 2: Well, it seems to be showing up again. Hmm...

f0rk

Going to be interesting to see if it's 1 or 2 copies of Remand in the Jace deck.

I would get the playset if their were 2 per box but I doubt it. There didn't look to be any real other value except Jace so it seems cheaper to get 4 of the original printing.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Art on the Duel Deck version of Jace, AOT is offensively bad. Worse than M14 anime Jace.

I saw one of those for the first time at my LGS last FNM. I did a double take; it was clearly a Jace 1.0, but I hadn't seen that art before. It kinda blew my mind that it even existed.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I saw one of those for the first time at my LGS last FNM. I did a double take; it was clearly a Jace 1.0, but I hadn't seen that art before. It kinda blew my mind that it even existed.

Yeah, I picked up a set of the Duel Decks at GenCon a couple years ago, still got it mint in the box. I just have it to have it, you know?

Anime Chandra is more hilarious
Image.ashx

MjFrancis

They're reprinting Remand. That's $17 for a notable staple that people were clamoring for a reprint of just this morning.

They're reprinting J:AoT. There's a $20 Standard Mythic and second most expensive card in RtR, featured in a prominent standard archetype.

How are you guys not impressed? If this is meh, what was Heroes v. Monsters or Sorin v. Tibalt to you?

kirblar

They're reprinting Remand. That's $17 for a notable staple that people were clamoring for a reprint of just this morning.

They're reprinting J:AoT. There's a $20 Standard Mythic and second most expensive card in RtR, featured in a prominent standard archetype.

How are you guys not impressed? If this is meh, what was Heroes v. Monsters or Sorin v. Tibalt to you?
Both of those were meh too. :p

What wasn't meh: Izzet v Golgari.

This is where Wizards has a real opportunity to reprint some good cards without releasing them into Standard. Do they do it? Nope. Not for the most part.

Lucario

The issue with recent duel decks is the filler cards.

Look at old lists -- Elves v Goblins had a very concise theme, and very few cards were included without an obvious reason. Garruk v Liliana was similar; tons of casual favorites everywhere, even in the common and uncommon slots. Except for Vine Trellis, Garruk's deck was completely free of filler, and made a very respectable casual stompy list.

In contrast, these recent decks are 60% filler. The designers like to claim the filler cards are chosen for flavor reasons, such as plot relation to the planeswalkers.

That's a fine excuse, but to the 99.99% of the Magic-playing population who don't closely follow the plot, the new duel decks look like stacks of random cards. Nobody wants to play a random mono-blue deck that's 40% good and 60% utter trash -- especially when the trash doesn't fall into any sort of theme.

Heroes v Monsters was a similar disaster, with the designers even defending their rationale for including trash like Armory Guard in it. Yes, we get it, heroes are vigilant, but do you realize that Magic is a card game?

kirblar

There is zero reason to be including Ray of Command in a Modern Duel deck. I get that casuals love Harmonize, and thus it keeps getting in. But Ray is so blatantly dumb when it's an effect blue just doesn't see anymore.

Lucario

There is zero reason to be including Ray of Command in a Modern Duel deck. I get that casuals love Harmonize, and thus it keeps getting in. But Ray is so blatantly dumb when it's an effect blue just doesn't see anymore.

It's even worse considering how terrible Ray of Command is in a slow grindy mono-blue list. There's literally no reason for it to be there -- some designer decided it'd be cool and flavorful for reasons less than 1% of the playerbase will understand.

WoTC needs to rethink how they're designing duel decks, or else casual players will stop buying them.

....but maybe that's the point of including $20 planeswalkers and $17 uncommons. Maybe they don't really care if nobody plays with duel decks as long as they sell, but if that's the case, just give me 58 full-art islands + jace + remand.

kirblar

They don't want them scavenged for parts, which I understand. But that means that you need to look for cool alt-art cards like Lim-Dul's Vault or Modern Border Tribal Flames.

rCIZZLE

Thinking hard about doing a partial cash-out at GP Richmond. Feels like this might be the last opportunity before any potential big reprint announcements. I imagine it wouldn't be hard to move playsets of modern staples on that Friday. Might even put together a couple eternal decks on mtgo since they'd get a lot more use than my paper versions and especially more than random playsets sitting in a binder.

Thinking hard about doing a partial cash-out at GP Richmond. Feels like this might be the last opportunity before any potential big reprint announcements. I imagine it wouldn't be hard to move playsets of modern staples on that Friday. Might even put together a couple eternal decks on mtgo since they'd get a lot more use than my paper versions and especially more than random playsets sitting in a binder.

I did a partial cashout of some unplayed Modern/Legacy cards for a big modern/Legacy MTGO buy-in a couple of weeks ago after I couldn't unload a pile of paper Bitterblossoms I had. Well worth it. MTGO really ups your constructed game if that's what you are looking for. I play nearly sixty or seventy competitive matches these days per week, instead of the 10-15 in paper.

I''ll do another paper purge of cards in May/early June before Vintage masters comes out. I am so stoked to be able to play Vintage w/ power online.

edit: PSA for all MTGO players-after today's maintenance, we switch over to a new month of MOCS, with the promo being Lion's Eye Diamond(!) . Get your QPs.

rCIZZLE

How'd you end up making the transition? Just ebaying cards or did you go to a LGS/vendor? I'm hoping to just sell playsets of some higher value cards near what they'd go for on ebay then just vendoring the leftovers.

bigkrev

How'd you end up making the transition? Just ebaying cards or did you go to a LGS/vendor? I'm hoping to just sell playsets of some higher value cards near what they'd go for on ebay then just vendoring the leftovers.

The easiest way to get rid of a collection is to go to a big event with vendors- the main reason they are there is to buy cards. they will go through collections and price everything out.

A bit of both. I sold some high value stuff via FB/eBay ( I had some FNM Swords to Plowshares, Guru lands, and a spare Library of Alexandria from some paper tourneys over the last year that were dead in my binder ) and moved the rest via CapeFearGames buylist into MTGOTraders.com credits. You get as much credit when you go this route as you more or less would via eBay after Paypal fees, and the amount of overall hassle is WAY less.

I have done business with Heath and the CapeFear/MTGOTraders guys for six years since they are kind of local and their service is unbelievably good. I think if you are looking for Paper->Online migration they cannot be beat.

Top Bottom