• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

MjFrancis

I would try 4x Evolving Wilds and Teramorphic and run more basics. They are better than Sulfur Falls, and the thinning of the deck is actually important.
Thanks, I have a few playsets of Evolving Wilds and Terramorphic Expanse is just as cheap. I could see deck thinning mattering a great bit more when the whole idea behind the deck is to keep drawing gas for lethal.

Don't just watch games, goldfish whenever you can. If you have never played a complicated combo deck before- I'm talking in the vein of ProsBloom, Heartbeat and ANT and not Twin or Scapeshift- you are going to need a lot of practice to play the deck. Its not easy- even Jon fucking Finkle, the best player ever, sometimes has issues with it-, and to most people it doesn't even feel like Magic, but it is a rewarding experience.

Remember when goldfishing to try 6, 5, and 4 card hands as well- if your only practicing 7 card hands, any Mulligan is going to kill you. Also keep hands and discard the best card from it to simulate being Thoughtsiezed, ect

I've been using Mtgvault's "Draw Sample Hand" feature to try to formulate my lines of play. I've been simulating a Thoughtseize and a single mulligan from time to time, but I haven't gone lower yet. I also haven't played it out to the end of my combo. Doing so may have lead me to find that enough lands in one place will stop the combo short of lethal, especially in my original land configuration.

There's a few guys at the shop who play Modern elsewhere so I'll playtest with them when possible. This deck may be budget but I'm definitely hearing that it's nothing but difficult to play. I'm already ordering cards and looking forward to the challenge.

Thank you for the advice.

bigkrev

I'm amazed that there are still Past in Flames, a mythic that is played as a multiple in a tier 1 deck, can still be found for under 5 dollars

MjFrancis

I'm tempted to just buy a shitload. Then when they go up in price I can sell them and use that money to buy $55 Cryptic Commands (I'm sure they'll go up another $5 this week).

It's a vicious cycle.

Firemind

Because they don't play four of them? And who plays Vintage? Not sure why Batterskull still demands such a high price tho. Sold them when they were about to rotate, but seems like not much has changed even with the GP promo flooding the market.

rCIZZLE

Prices are high and rising because everybody who has a subscription to quiet speculation or reads mtgfinance just hoards anything and everything until profit is made.

I guess that's who is in the background getting the Law put on him.

1959337_254024744777053_477671512_n.jpg

I just built my daughter Soul Sisters for a birthday present.... with Elspeth and Hero of Bladehold. lol
Even has Baneslayer Angel.

I splashed green though for Garruk WIldspeaker.

OnPoint

This upsets me as I was hoping for BW for Bitterblossom.

Because I have plans for that card, and they don't involve me spending $75 a BB, or Fae in general.

Because they don't play four of them? And who plays Vintage? Not sure why Batterskull still demands such a high price tho.

No one needs PiF in Vintage, we have Will in the format and it literally just reads "play your graveyard, including that Black Lotus you just sacrificed".

Batterskull remains high because it is a Mythic Rare (+GP reprint) from a third set, helps make Legacy miserable, and is the midrange finisher of choice in Modern vs. aggro decks. Once the GP supply runs up it will keep getting more and more expensive.

bigkrev

GP version is worth more than the regular one. Won't affect the price by very much. Super-limited supply.

So I went and looked at attendance from the last calendar year (GP Yokohama March 2013 to GP Richmond 2014), and the total attendance was 63,519. Because they change the card every six months, we split that, and can see there is about 32,000 copies of each promo, not counting ones given away in side events (not sure if they do that). That strikes me as an actual significant number for a mythic rare from a small set- and I would say that a large portion of these were put into serious players hands, meaning they are actually in circulation

kirblar

So I went and looked at attendance from the last calendar year (GP Yokohama March 2013 to GP Richmond 2014), and the total attendance was 63,519. Because they change the card every six months, we split that, and can see there is about 32,000 copies of each promo, not counting ones given away in side events (not sure if they do that). That strikes me as an actual significant number for a mythic rare from a small set- and I would say that a large portion of these were put into serious players hands, meaning they are actually in circulation
You're overestimating liquidity.

Firemind

No one needs PiF in Vintage, we have Will in the format and it literally just reads "play your graveyard, including that Black Lotus you just sacrificed".

Batterskull remains high because it is a Mythic Rare (+GP reprint) from a third set, helps make Legacy miserable, and is the midrange finisher of choice in Modern vs. aggro decks. Once the GP supply runs up it will keep getting more and more expensive.

I may be underestimating the Legacy player base, but how many Stoneforge decks are there, really? They all need just one copy. I'm pretty sure it's based on speculation that Legacy/Modern will continue to explode with supply trailing behind. Fucking hoarders.

bigkrev

It looks like Birthing Pod finally had a big buyout, and the price of the card is now close to 20 bucks

Shocked it took this long to be honest

Good luck to everyone at Richmond! I'm excited to see the coverage.

On another note, MTGO Traders quoted me $1220 for my MTGO collection. Aside from having 4x of every fetch and shock (an investment I made a while ago), that's basically just me having the cards (main and side) for two different versions of Splinter Twin (UR and UWR), plus some random other stuff hanging around. That's their buy price, not sell price.

I'm not 100% sure now is the best time to sell out, but given how I keep playing less constructed and more limited every month, it might be getting close...

Modern is getting way out of hand.

OnPoint

I really wish I would have planned to make the trip down there and experience this.

I hope everyone from here that's there kills it

What's everyone's local metagame look like? Mine's pretty dominated by Rakdos' Return up here in the bay area, but we have some craziness going on as well.

At the tournament yesterday we had some dude bring his little brother's sliver deck with no playsets of anything and all basic lands and go 4-1, an azorius control player that sideboarded into green, two junk players and a guy running land destruction.

I played against a white weenies deck that survived 3 supreme verdicts, a detention sphere and jace's +1 all in a row.

y2dvd

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";103607717]What's everyone's local metagame look like? Mine's pretty dominated by Rakdos' Return up here in the bay area, but we have some craziness going on as well.

At the tournament yesterday we had some dude bring his little brother's sliver deck with no playsets of anything and all basic lands and go 4-1, an azorius control player that sideboarded into green, two junk players and a guy running land destruction.

I played against a white weenies deck that survived 3 supreme verdicts, a detention sphere and jace's +1 all in a row.[/QUOTE]

I love my local meta. We have certain players playing top tier decks like G/R monsters, mono black, mono blue, U/W/x, but we have several that have their own brews and it just works. Last night, we got G/W enchantment, U/B mill, W/R aggro, and one of my favorites is a B/G graveyard decks our top 2 players pilot. It gets enough creatures in the graveyard to get Shadowborn Demon not have to sac a creature, it pumps Nighthowler, it makes Nemesis of Mortals much cheaper to cast. Fun deck to play against.

I took our past two FNM with my R/W burn deck. I think it can go toe-to-toe with the T1 decks tbh. The first match reminds me how fun mtg can be. He won the roll and dropped T1 Favored Hoplite. I T1 Mountain and passed. He T2 Ordeal of Heliod and swings with a 3/4. Already outside my burns. I take it and play Ash Zealot on my turn, attack and pass. Next turn he drops Ajani, minus to give flying and double strike, attacks and gets another counter and sacs Ordeal to gain 10 life. Life total is 9 - 28. A turn later, we were 4 - 34. I thought about scooping but I'm glad I didn't. The fun of my deck came around. I had a Chandra's Phoenix and several burns in hand. My Ash Zealot attacked when open, and I used the Phoenix to constantly chump his eventual 23/23 Favored Hoplite and recycled it back to my hand every turn. I eventually came back with just 4 life sitting there for several turns as I chip away at his life total. Feels good man!

MjFrancis

I've been playing drafts most Fridays for almost six weeks now, and I finally won one last night. It was only a pool of 16 players, but I ultimately went 4-0 with 8 wins 1 loss. Two of us went 3-0 both of us 6-1 so we had a final round to determine first place.

We were playing Theros/Born of the Gods and I drafted blue splashing for red. Had tons of counters/removal for low mana (Dissolve, 3x Nullify, 2x Magma Jet, Lightning Strike, etc) to control the board until I could drop Precient Chimeras, a Spellheart Chimera, a Benthic Giant or a Sealock Monster. Flitterstep Eidolon and Nimbus Naiad were always cast for Bestow for further evasion. Bident of Thassa was my first pull, the reason I ran blue and I never drew it in nine games.

I've only a half dozen drafts and even less Standard FNM play under my belt but I finally feel like I'm getting the hang of things. It felt good to place higher than third or fourth, and I felt all but a game or two were very competitive.

Top Bottom