• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

bigkrev

Ouch- playing on Camera in a Win-and-in for a shot at top8 (and a guaranteed invite), guy gets a game loss for forgetting to gain life off of his Vault Skirge (apparently he had 4 other violations like that over the weekend)

bigkrev

Yay. More bans incoming.

I think the format is fine. They probably will ban Past in Flames or Pyromancer Ascension in their continuing quest to make Storm unplayable, but nothing else jumps out.

This, however, does. Feel bad for the people who got fucked out of Pro Points or money by this

f0rk

You can't say anything off of just the top 8, the margins on getting in on tie breakers are so close. Top 64 or even just day 2 stats should be much more representative although it's probably still a lot of pod.

f0rk

Apparently the Kiki player had a kill on board in that first game.
Combos off with what looks like a more standard line game 2.

And there's why I wouldn't play Affinity, hosers are just too devastating

kirblar

Shatterstorm and Kataki? Good night, sweet prince.
There was a metric f-ton of affinity. No sweepers main was a huge issue for my deck. I want to try the deck with red for Anger but also with Reaper instead of Obliterator, with no bolts. (I don't like them atm.)

bigkrev

I love the concept of the modern Affinity deck- it just has amazing game 1s where it is faster than pretty much anything else in the format, and needs to survive the insanely powerful hate cards that every color has access to in the following games to win it's matches. It's the most Stars and Scrubs deck in the format- Insane cards like Cranial Plating, Steel Overseer and Ravager, with unplayables like Ornithopter and Memnite.

It's also a less expensive deck- You can build the whole deck for about the same as the cost of a playset of Scalding Tarn

kirblar

I love the concept of the modern Affinity deck- it just has amazing game 1s where it is faster than pretty much anything else in the format, and needs to survive the insanely powerful hate cards that every color has access to in the following games to win it's matches. It's the most Stars and Scrubs deck in the format- Insane cards like Cranial Plating, Steel Overseer and Ravager, with unplayables like Ornithopter and Memnite.

It's also a less expensive deck- You can build the whole deck for about the same as the cost of a playset of Scalding Tarn
Unlike Storm, you can interact with it game 1 w/ traditional cards, making it far less annoying. (It is still annoying though.)

I think it's great that Affinity did so well with it being the most budget friendly of the tier.
I also thought it interesting that Merfolk seemed to do so well (at least perhaps in the hands of certain players) considering it's a more budget deck that is what, tier 2?

rCIZZLE

Fireball is still vendor king as far as I'm concerned. They gave as much cash as others gave trade credit on everything I sold. Itll be nice not caring about reprints all that much now.

kirblar

Fireball is still vendor king as far as I'm concerned. They gave as much cash as others gave trade credit on everything I sold. Itll be nice not caring about reprints all that much now.
I got 18.75 trade on a Kiora from ARG. (lol) Dipped early after the MM pack change to the Legacy events- just couldn't justify staying that late if I lost 1 match.

bigkrev

I like using Cardtitan/Top Deck Games (because I can just drive 15 mins to the store instead of shipping out), or Cape Fear Games if I want to get MTGO money (they own MTGOtraders.com), buy yeah, otherwise they are kings. If you want credit, they often rival ebay prices on "sealed" FTVs in the first few weeks

rCIZZLE

I got 18.75 trade on a Kiora from ARG. (lol) Dipped early after the MM pack change to the Legacy events- just couldn't justify staying that late if I lost 1 match.

I probably should have avoided side events today and quit while I was ahead. Had some pretty terrible luck like having my affinity opponent draw all 4 galvanic blasts before I could draw a 5th creature with a Worship and Stony Silence on board. Even had 2 pte and a ghost quarter for any inkmoth nonsense.

Hatebears were just turning on me this weekend lol.

kirblar

I probably should have avoided side events today and quit while I was ahead. Had some pretty terrible luck like having my affinity opponent draw all 4 galvanic blasts before I could draw a 5th creature with a Worship and Stony Silence on board. Even had 2 pte and a ghost quarter for any inkmoth nonsense.

Hatebears were just turning on me this weekend lol.
Yeah, the Challenge events were sick, but the normal side events are a time/money trap imo.

bigkrev

BTW what was the final word on attendance? I saw on Twitter that this actually had the record of people actually playing, due to people having Tarmagoyf-induced drops before registering/swapping decks at GP Vegas, but that could have been totally made up

kirblar

BTW what was the final word on attendance? I saw on Twitter that this actually had the record of people actually playing, due to people having Tarmagoyf-induced drops before registering/swapping decks at GP Vegas, but that could have been totally made up
That was what I heard via the grapevine. This was 4,3-something, and Vegas was more, but couldn't get the Guinness certification for largest TCG tournament because of the drops, and that this would get the current record instead. (So it's Wizards #2, but Guinness's #1 for any TCG.)

y2dvd

What do y'all carry y'all's magic stuff in? I usually carry 2 standard decks and a draft box in a fat pack box, a mat, pad, a commander deck in that huge grey box, a binder of trades, and some counters. I was carrying it in a laptop carry case, but it's breaking down now and honestly always felt limited in space and was clunky. I wanted to get some special mtg carrying case but may end up just getting a boring ol backpack.

ultron87

I used to use a backpack, but I recently switched to a messenger bag. It nicely fits a binder for trades as well as a bunch of decks. But if your laptop back was feeling constrained you might feel that with pretty much any reasonably sized messenger bag.

I also wanted it because it'll be easier for carrying around conventions and events. I always feel nervous when I have a backpack on my back in a crowd.

Using a bag from here: http://www.timbuk2.com/tb2/

Question for you guys. Today I went down to my store and ended up playing a sanctioned 8 man draft. I ended up doing bad, 1-2, but I just checked the report on planeswalker points and it says I went 0-3. This misreported game means I played a different opponent for round 3, and if I would have beat my proper opponent I most likely would have gotten prize packs.

Is there anything that can be done about this misreporting, like getting a refund (whole or partial) on my entry fee? Is it even something worth worrying about?

kirblar

Question for you guys. Today I went down to my store and ended up playing a sanctioned 8 man draft. I ended up doing bad, 1-2, but I just checked the report on planeswalker points and it says I went 0-3. This misreported game means I played a different opponent for round 3, and if I would have beat my proper opponent I most likely would have gotten prize packs.

Is there anything that can be done about this misreporting, like getting a refund (whole or partial) on my entry fee? Is it even something worth worrying about?
You still went 1-2, so I wouldn't worry about the prizes, but definitely talk to the store about what happened (they might be able to correct it with the DCI, or you could submit an appeal on the PWP site for the points) and always check your points total in the future.

You still went 1-2, so I wouldn't worry about the prizes, but definitely talk to the store about what happened (they might be able to correct it with the DCI, or you could submit an appeal on the PWP site for the points) and always check your points total in the future.

Just to make sure we're on the same page, what I was trying to say is that they messed up pairings for round 3. I won my round 2 match, but they somehow wrote it down as a win for my opponent. So I didn't face the correct opponent for round 3.

I guess I'll talk to them next time I'm in.

btw, what do you gain by getting points?

kirblar

Just to make sure we're on the same page, what I was trying to say is that they messed up pairings for round 3. I won my round 2 match, but they somehow wrote it down as a win for my opponent. So I didn't face the correct opponent for round 3.

I guess I'll talk to them next time I'm in.

btw, what do you gain by getting points?
GP Byes. You need a lot though.

kirblar

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";103780127]Those points do things? I have a different DCI number at every shop lol[/QUOTE]
You can get them merged, lol. If you get 400 in a season you get a bye at GPs. 2 at 750. You need to do PTQs, GPs and GPTs to get enough points though.

kirblar

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";103780346]How long is a season? It's 9 points for winning a draft, right?[/QUOTE]
It's a few more than that, yeah. They have multipliers on the "official" events which makes them more attractive if you're grinding away. Not really necessary unless you have a GP in your near future. (I have 3 more this year.) SCG events also have a larger multiplier.

It's a few more than that, yeah. They have multipliers on the "official" events which makes them more attractive if you're grinding away. Not really necessary unless you have a GP in your near future. (I have 3 more this year.) SCG events also have a larger multiplier.

Well I won't say I'm a fan of giving people free wins for grinding but it definitely helps with player retention. Magic isn't an exclusively skill-based game to begin with so I guess it doesn't matter that much.

If they had free byes for top players at EVO i'd be pissed for sure.

bigkrev

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";103783508]Well I won't say I'm a fan of giving people free wins for grinding but it definitely helps with player retention. Magic isn't an exclusively skill-based game to begin with so I guess it doesn't matter that much.

If they had free byes for top players at EVO i'd be pissed for sure.[/QUOTE]

Fighting games lack the variance that Magic has. Unless he is sick or something, some scrub isn't beating ChrisG in pools for Marvel, while in Magic, a scrub could beat a guy like LSV if he has to mulligan to 4 every game or something.

The idea behind byes is to attract big name players to these events (most of the time, they are loosing money after booking airfare and the like even if they put up nice finishes) and to lower the rouge factor- you need to prove that you aren't just a joke by going 3-0 before you can mix it up with the pro players.

y2dvd

I used to use a backpack, but I recently switched to a messenger bag. It nicely fits a binder for trades as well as a bunch of decks. But if your laptop back was feeling constrained you might feel that with pretty much any reasonably sized messenger bag.

I also wanted it because it'll be easier for carrying around conventions and events. I always feel nervous when I have a backpack on my back in a crowd.

Using a bag from here: http://www.timbuk2.com/tb2/

That's a good point with the backpack turned away from you. With all this theft talk I've been hearing, I should be more weary of my belongings. The messenger bags you linked looks much more spacious than the laptop bag I'm carrying, so I will end up getting one.

MjFrancis

just drafted a fun one-time gimmick deck in theros block.

Somehow got passed a total of four nullify in pack 1, so I just went with it.

Then, in pack 2, I noticed blue was severely underdrafted.... which got me two Dissolve.

Then someone passed me Prohpet of Kruphix.

Last couple picks I started seeing Mnemonic Walls (normally bad but incredible in this one deck that'll never happen again!) and, oddly enough, a Voyage's End.
I ran a lot of counterspells this weekend drafting blue/red. Got three nullify (I could have used a fourth!). I think red was the difference because that gave me a lot of cheap removal in addition to the counterspells. I thought of splashing green too - I passed on a Prophet of Kruphix.

Being able to play lots of blue fliers sealed my games. The only game I lost was against a white Heroic deck with perfect draws and I kept a hand with very little removal and they just got too big too fast. Akroan Skyguards with Order of Heliod are brutal. Aside from that game though, I was able to keep countering and burning my opponents into topdeck mode when I could drop unanswerable threats in the air or giant fatties on the ground. I am really a fan of the Izzet colors now.

I personally think the asscrack post is hilarious, but it's causing quite a stir. Helene seems unhappy about it. There's a chance that the author might even get himself banned for "bullying." I'm kinda surprised at how divided the community is; I expect some people would manufacture some righteous indignation, but it seems that the community is almost 50/50 between "this was hilarious if not a little childish" and "this is harassment and completely inappropriate."

rCIZZLE

I'm pretty sure that guy was working at a vendor too which might complicate things if they start looking into it. Forget what they were called but it was back by the channel fireball booth where I spent much of my time this weekend. :p

ultron87

There goes all that good PR Spellslingers got us.

Seems like a pretty dickish thing to do once you get to the step of posting it online.

I personally think the asscrack post is hilarious, but it's causing quite a stir. Helene seems unhappy about it. There's a chance that the author might even get himself banned for "bullying." I'm kinda surprised at how divided the community is; I expect some people would manufacture some righteous indignation, but it seems that the community is almost 50/50 between "this was hilarious if not a little childish" and "this is harassment and completely inappropriate."

In an alternate universe somewhere, Magic players don't dare show their faces at a tournament unless they're sporting at least business casual, and travesties like this don't exist to be documented.

What are the arguments for the harassment and bullying charges? Honestly, people ought to take a little more pride in their appearance, IMO.

The guy didn't show faces, and by spamming so many pictures it feels more like an indictment of the community than any individuals involved. And I think its important for the community to get called out. We don't all need to be Craig Wescoe and wear blazers to every tournament, but paying just a modicum of attention to our appearance would do wonders for public perception.

Fighting games lack the variance that Magic has. Unless he is sick or something, some scrub isn't beating ChrisG in pools for Marvel, while in Magic, a scrub could beat a guy like LSV if he has to mulligan to 4 every game or something.

The idea behind byes is to attract big name players to these events (most of the time, they are loosing money after booking airfare and the like even if they put up nice finishes) and to lower the rouge factor- you need to prove that you aren't just a joke by going 3-0 before you can mix it up with the pro players.

That's what I meant. Magic isn't really a serious competitive game by design.

The guy didn't show faces, and by spamming so many pictures it feels more like an indictment of the community than any individuals involved. And I think its important for the community to get called out. We don't all need to be Craig Wescoe and wear blazers to every tournament, but paying just a modicum of attention to our appearance would do wonders for public perception.

Heavily agreed.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";103886976]That's what I meant. Magic isn't really a serious competitive game by design.[/QUOTE]

Eh, I've never bought the argument that serious competitive games can't have significant elements of chance. What about poker?

Top Bottom