• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

It hurts the older card prices without much value in return. Everyone plays 5 dual lands (or 2 in Commander) instead of 4. Hooray?

I don't know if it would hurt the old card prices. As you said, everyone who had the original duals would still be running 4 of them, and they would still be the preferred land over the legendary ones.

What a Legendary dual does, is make it possible to run X fetchlands + 1 or 2 Legendaries and have a mana base that looks fairly close to one with the originals, without actually outclassing them or making them useless.

It's really hard to say how the economics of this would play out. Reprinting things no longer necessarily decreases their long-term value, as Modern Masters showed us.

kirblar

I don't know if it would hurt the old card prices. As you said, everyone who had the original duals would still be running 4 of them, and they would still be the preferred land over the legendary ones.

What a Legendary dual does, is make it possible to run X fetchlands + 1 or 2 Legendaries and have a mana base that looks fairly close to one with the originals, without actually outclassing them or making them useless.

It's really hard to say how the economics of this would play out. Reprinting things no longer necessarily decreases their long-term value, as Modern Masters showed us.
Modern Masters was a set that was intentionally short-printed. Do not read ANYTHING into it regarding normal products.

Modern Masters was a set that was intentionally short-printed. Do not read ANYTHING into it regarding normal products.

Lorwyn Thoughtseizes are at 40 and Morningtide Mutavaults are at 45. Seems reasonable that they'll continue to climb once the Standard sets with them go out of print.

An-Det

Hey Kirblar, thanks for calling out SCG on their flawed points system again after BBD's tweet. We had a local one last week with Fabiano. Pretty sure he didn't win though.

Lorwyn Thoughtseizes are at 40 and Morningtide Mutavaults are at 45. Seems reasonable that they'll continue to climb once the Standard sets with them go out of print.

Indeed they will, and then both will tank after each rotates and demand drops. Modern Masters was a very different case.

Hero

Legendary duals won't happen in a standard set. It will confuse and upset new players as drawing more than 1 is terrible and at that point it completely defeats the point of offering mana fixing for the standard environment. In addition and to a lesser extent it would just piss off people who have invested in vintage/legacy. Basically there is little, if any, upside to printing legendary duals.

y2dvd

The thing that sucks about being a new player is not owning any of the older cards out there. I had a guy look at my trades and wanted a lot of standard cards from me. I saw a few cards I wanted for my commander deck, but he refused and only wanted to trade standard for standard, even tho the trade value was the same. :/ I've met a few players that are like that with their trades.

kirblar

The thing that sucks about being a new player is not owning any of the older cards out there. I had a guy look at my trades and wanted a lot of standard cards from me. I saw a few cards I wanted for my commander deck, but he refused and only wanted to trade standard for standard, even tho the trade value was the same. :/ I've met a few players that are like that with their trades.
Yeah, I went through SCG to trade-in a lot of standard stuff towards Modern/Legacy about a year, year/half ago that's paid off in spades now as its ballooned in price. (Hi there, 30-33 dollar City of Traitors and 9.99 Transmute Artifact!)

In case you don't know, the reasoning is because Standard value is expected to drop post rotation. Modern/EDH/Legacy values hold steady barring a reprint.

Trading old value for new value is called trading down and a lot of traders don't like to do it.

y2dvd

In case you don't know, the reasoning is because Standard value is expected to drop post rotation. Modern/EDH/Legacy values hold steady barring a reprint.

Trading old value for new value is called trading down and a lot of traders don't like to do it.

That makes sense. All the more reason it sucks (for me anyways) when older card staples don't get reprinted. I'm never going to own a fetchland and play modern until fetchland gets reprinted lol.

The Standards results are starting to open up. R/W Burn taking an event! I have been playing a similar burn deck for about a month now and mentioned it can go toe-to-toe with the big dogs. B/W Midrange, R/G Monsters, Jund Reanimator, and Esper humans won some other events. I'm just glad Mono Black isn't dominating anymore. Journey to Nix should add some new decks to the fold.

With the whole crack scandal thing, I think some steps should be taken to raise the bar of what's an acceptable way to present oneself at a tournament.

I think that any tournament which requires an invite (so, Pro Tours and SCG invitiationals) ought to impose a dress code on the players - business casual at a minimum.

No one who has earned an invite and intends to go to those events is going to turn it down because they don't feel like getting dressed up, and I'd hope this would have sort of a domino effect, and at least make people more aware of how they look.

kirblar

With the whole crack scandal thing, I think some steps should be taken to raise the bar of what's an acceptable way to present oneself at a tournament.

I think that any tournament which requires an invite (so, Pro Tours and SCG invitiationals) ought to impose a dress code on the players - business casual at a minimum.

No one who has earned an invite and intends to go to those events is going to turn it down because they don't feel like getting dressed up, and I'd hope this would have sort of a domino effect, and at least make people more aware of how they look.
The biggest eyesore is SCG's ESPN/Anchorman fanboy look, imo.

OnPoint

I actually agree. I know this would piss people off but I think it would be good to encourage people to take care of themselves and look somewhat presentable.

Anyone notice Chapin seemed like he was on something for a good portion of yesterday during the project? He was in another world with some of those comments... not to mention how blitzed he looked in between games.

f0rk

The casters make it pretty clear that you can't make people look presentable just by imposing a dress code.

ultron87

I'm trying to think of some way they could add "don't be a slob" to the IPG without it having to be a extremely subjective judgment call from every judge ever.

Unsporting Conduct - Saw your crack - Warning
Unsporting Conduct - You smelly! - Warning

One problem is that such things can't be generally be corrected in the course of the event even if there is an objective way to point them out. So penalizing for them essentially starts DQing people.

bigkrev

Players are sponsored and have to wear sponsored gear. This isn't happening.

The notion of a dress code is pretty absurd. Just let the community continue to grow older and the problem more or less fixes itself (along with a whole set of other issues).

The notion of a dress code is pretty absurd. Just let the community continue to grow older and the problem more or less fixes itself (along with a whole set of other issues).

The vast majority of active Magic players will always be early to mid 20-somethings. The problem will never fix itself.

y2dvd

Yeah, a formal dress code would be asking for much. I haven no qualms of them simply giving a notice to mind of possible indecent exposure. It should get most people to wear belts to mitigate possible exposure, especially if there are penalties enforced for indecent exposure. I don't wanna be seeing all that junk youz packing in dat trunk!

The vast majority of active Magic players will always be early to mid 20-somethings. The problem will never fix itself.

I'm sure contract bridge, something I have played for nearly as long as I have played Magic (almost 20 years) , also thought in the 1950s/1960s that it would always get new players too. Magic players are already older by a few years now than when I started playing. That trend will continue.

The game is a lifestyle game, like Bridge and D&D. The people playing it will age on average assuming that its current growth spurt will eventually level off.

bigkrev

I'm sure contract bridge, something I have played for nearly as long as I have played Magic (almost 20 years) , also thought in the 1950s/1960s that it would always get new players too. Magic players are already older by a few years now than when I started playing. That trend will continue.

The game is a lifestyle game, like Bridge and D&D. The people playing it will age on average assuming that its current growth spurt will eventually level off.

The problem is that it takes a big time commitment and the money isn't enough to realistically make it a "profession" for a long period.

See how LSV took a full time job and hasn't been the same player? It's not easy

The problem is that it takes a big time commitment and the money isn't enough to realistically make it a "profession" for a long period.

See how LSV took a full time job and hasn't been the same player? It's not easy

A lifestyle game doesn't mean that it's something you make a career out of. It means that it is a game plays a significant role in how you spend your free time.

Fusebox

Banned
Hi guys, can I get a ruling checked plz. Is it untap before upkeep?

Setup: I attacked with Forlorn Pseduamma on my last turn so it's tapped, and all my mana is tapped. Now it's my turn again and I have an Abhorrent Overlord on the field.

Can I untap my Forlorn Pseudamma, untap my land, pay the Pseudamma activation cost, put a zombie token into play and then feed it to my Overlord in my upkeep?

http://gatherer.wizards.com/pages/Card/Details.aspx?name=Forlorn+Pseudamma

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?name=Abhorrent+overlord

Also, when I untap the Forlorn I can only activate the ability once per untap right? I can't spend 6 mana and spit out two zombies can I?

Yes, the order is Untap, Upkeep, Draw, but it's technically more complicated than you think it is. :)

Nobody can actually "gain priority" (that is, be able to do anything) during the untap step. If something triggers during untap, you wait to stack the trigger until the upkeep.

You then get two triggers happening at the same time on your upkeep. You get to choose the order in which you stack them, and thus the order in which they will resolve. So you stack the Overlord trigger first, with the Pseudamma trigger on top of it. The Pseudamma trigger resolves, you get a token, then sac it to the Overlord trigger.

Piece of cake.

ultron87

Edit: Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

Short answer: Yeah, that works.

More complex answer: The phases are Untap -> Upkeep -> Draw.

But players don't get the opportunity to do anything during the untap step. So anything that triggers during that step waits till upkeep to go on the stack.

So when Upkeep starts you'll have your Pseudamma trigger and your Overlord trigger waiting to go on the stack and you can pick the order to place them. If you put the Pseudamma trigger on top of the Overlord trigger, it'll resolve first so you can pay the mana to make a dude. Then when the Overlord trigger happens you can pick the zombie to sacrifice.

Second question: You can only pay once per untap.

duxstar

Anyone play online? I mainly (in fact I only do) drafting at my local game shop and normally do 1 - 2 drafts a day depending on the cards I get and how many packs I win online. Yesterday I went 3 - 0 after getting passed a Mistcutter Hydra + Polukranos (yep passed him).

On another note I just want you guys to know that Psychic Intrusion doesn't work on magic: online (I had alot of mana ramp). I had Psychic Intrusion(ed) the guys hand for a Divine Verdict and had no white mana on the board but the card reads "you may cast mana as though it was any color" and I tried to cast it any number of way's and it just didn't work.

I'm actually starting to come back around on green in Born - Theros - Theros. Only if you can get the right cards in Born though; or you get a crazy situation like yesterday. Raised by Wolve's is a card that almost always wins me the game; yes it has the downside of not going off if they kill the creature; but it stabilizes the board so well; and at turn 5 you should be able to put it on a wingsteed rider that's been triggered, or big bodied creature.

Spending mana as though it were mana of any color is so seriously screwy on Magic Online it's not even funny. You have to click through so many things to make it work; it's ridiculous. You have to click the color you need, then the color in your mana pool that you want to spend, then keep repeating. Or it could be the exact opposite of that; I don't remember. I've only ever had it come up with Daxos, and it took me multiple minutes off of my clock to figure out how to cast a Nylea's Disciple.

Played a chromanticore deck in draft last night and had the most fun I've had in a while playing magic.

Now I want to make a standard deck with 4 of em.

OnPoint

Whats your deck look like? I was thinking of basing it off of some kind of green hexproof/mana dork deck.

I'll post a full list later. It's basically just a GB deck, with Green for mana ramp/Coursers and black for creature kill. Toss in a few Chromantic Lanterns and you got yourself something that lives or dies by bestowing Chromanticore on something like Reaper of the Wilds or Scavenging Ooze (or even sometimes Pack Rat lol).

I thought about a light splash into red or blue for more removal (red for Mortars/Dreadbore, blue for Rapid Hybridization), also because I want to make use of some temples as the deck could use some more scrying action later in the game.

Thoughts on adding a couple Ashiok to an esper control deck? I messed around with her in main board with the standard stuff and I found the things she steals to be valuable against G/R monsters and mono - black devotion. In the mirror and against burn, I just kept +2'ing her to exile potential threats.

kirblar

I feel the same way whenever I see that. I'm glad the casters are starting to wear a suit and tie like Patrick Chaplin. Professionalism never hurts.
I think both the "Video Game Journalist" attire and the "ESPN Anchor" look are bad. The business casual they had at the last PT was perfect, imo.

Top Bottom