• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
It doesn't matter what you wear, just take a shower before you show up and wear pants that fit. This is the kind of basic stuff people should be doing anyways.

OnPoint

It doesn't matter what you wear, just take a shower before you show up and wear pants that fit. This is the kind of basic stuff people should be doing anyways.
SCG had a guy on camera this weekend with a torn up tshirt. He looked homeless.

We shouldn't have to specify the basics. But here we are.

Current draft tournament at work is going really well for me. A red splash black minotaur thing. I have 3 lightning strikes, 3 portent of betrayals. The creatures I have barely end up mattering (3 kragma butchers, a borderland minotaur, a kragma warcaller + assorted crappy cheap red creatures). Murder King comes in handy, and if they survive my first assaults I also ended up with Hythonia the Cruel and the Champion of Stray Souls

An-Det

I'd forgotten just how good value ordering sleeves in bulk is. Just ordered a 10-pack of Hyper Mattes for $62.50 total, whereas buying them individually would be double that. Only 2-day shipping, too. Should hopefully arrive on Friday, in time for a Buncha Duals on Saturday, since my current sleeves are dirty as hell.

Fusebox

Banned
Yes, the order is Untap, Upkeep, Draw, but it's technically more complicated than you think it is. :)

Nobody can actually "gain priority" (that is, be able to do anything) during the untap step. If something triggers during untap, you wait to stack the trigger until the upkeep.

You then get two triggers happening at the same time on your upkeep. You get to choose the order in which you stack them, and thus the order in which they will resolve. So you stack the Overlord trigger first, with the Pseudamma trigger on top of it. The Pseudamma trigger resolves, you get a token, then sac it to the Overlord trigger.

Piece of cake.

Edit: Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

Short answer: Yeah, that works.

More complex answer: The phases are Untap -> Upkeep -> Draw.

But players don't get the opportunity to do anything during the untap step. So anything that triggers during that step waits till upkeep to go on the stack.

So when Upkeep starts you'll have your Pseudamma trigger and your Overlord trigger waiting to go on the stack and you can pick the order to place them. If you put the Pseudamma trigger on top of the Overlord trigger, it'll resolve first so you can pay the mana to make a dude. Then when the Overlord trigger happens you can pick the zombie to sacrifice.

Second question: You can only pay once per untap.

Thanks so much guys, that's great info to know, very well explained too.

rCIZZLE

Wasteland seems to have jumped about 40 dollars in a day lol. TCG average for some of the higher end legacy decks is quickly approaching $5,000. Even my Maverick list (not counting foils) is around $2,200 now.

Wasteland seems to have jumped about 40 dollars in a day lol. TCG average for some of the higher end legacy decks is quickly approaching $5,000. Even my Maverick list (not counting foils) is around $2,200 now.

i'm thinking about selling almost all my cards again because of these crazy hikes.

suffah

Does maths and stuff
Glad i pimped out a miracles deck a while back, prices are insane, might be a good time to sell.

Edit: LOL when did foil spell pierces jump to $70+???

Glad i pimped out a miracles deck a while back, prices are insane, might be a good time to sell.

never pimped mine out, but I think im 2 cards away from thopter blade

humility and ethersworn canonist oddly enough

im thinking of shipping all my blue green fetch, tropicals, and goyfs to start it off

An-Det

First time in ages playing something other than Punishing Jund in a Legacy tournament tonight, opting instead for BUG Delver (maindeck mostly the same as the GP Paris winner). I lost round 1 to Nic Fit (double Thragtusk was rough, plus me not knowing what I was doing), and then beat Tin Fins, Death & Taxes, and Merfolk all pretty handily. Once I got into the groove of it I really started to enjoy it. I'd forgotten how good playing Brainstorm feels.

y2dvd

Thoughts on adding a couple Ashiok to an esper control deck? I messed around with her in main board with the standard stuff and I found the things she steals to be valuable against G/R monsters and mono - black devotion. In the mirror and against burn, I just kept +2'ing her to exile potential threats.

I like her for funsies. She can normally aggro two to three swings and can hit a few things important like Exilir of Immortality or Chandra's Phoenix. I just run one of and it's usually enough.

We're hitting the "no new players" phase of Legacy.

The writing is mostly on the wall for both Legacy and (soon later this year) Vintage-if you want to play these formats regularly, and want to be able to get into them at reasonable cost, play on MTGO.

There will still be plenty of Eternal events from time to time, but there's not much more that Wizards can do to keep these formats going other than to sneak in printings that target Legacy/Vintage that don't shake up Modern or Standard.

Hero

Ah, it's that time of the year again that Legacy is going to die? Surely 2014 is when the format dies, even though it's constructed event records have been going up. If you keep saying it every year it's bound to be right at some point.

Yeef

The rate at which prices are increasing in all non-rotating formats at the moment is unsustainable. It's not just legacy.

It's really starting to feel like buying into the mana base for Legacy is becoming more and more of a mistake with each purchased Dual... damn it.

No, those cards are never being reprinted and even if Legacy stopped growing (that's what we're talking about here-the curbing of growth, not decline), those duals would still have tremendous demand out of the EDH market.

MjFrancis

You guys are missing the big picture. I waited on buying a playset of Gitaxian Probes for my Storm deck, and in the meantime the price doubled!

I could have bought a cup of coffee with that $4.

OnPoint

You guys are missing the big picture. I waited on buying a playset of Gitaxian Probes for my Storm deck, and in the meantime the price doubled!

I could have bought a cup of coffee with that $4.

I remember when I got back into Magic and I was putting Gitaxian Probe into decks that didn't use blue. My friend was like "dude, why". I look smart now haha

However, he has since become the better player with his constant MTGO grinding (though he says I'm the more creative deck builder). I need to step my playing game up.

y2dvd

It's weird. I got a few friends that are buying expensive cards as more of an investment rather than to play with. I guess that's the nature of any collectibles but it kinda defeats the purpose of mtg actually being a game lol.

It's weird. I got a few friends that are buying expensive cards as more of an investment rather than to play with. I guess that's the nature of any collectibles but it kinda defeats the purpose of mtg actually being a game lol.

I think that people doing this is a major part of the reason prices are skyrocketing. It's creating artificial demand. Speculation, etc. It's what makes me worried about a bubble eventually bursting.

One day Starcitygames will stop holding Legacy opens. It may not even be in the next 5 years, but it'll happen, and when it does, I think the effect on the secondary market of Legacy singles (possibly even dual lands) will be catastrophic.

An-Det

I think that people doing this is a major part of the reason prices are skyrocketing. It's creating artificial demand. Speculation, etc. It's what makes me worried about a bubble eventually bursting.

One day Starcitygames will stop holding Legacy opens. It may not even be in the next 5 years, but it'll happen, and when it does, I think the effect on the secondary market of Legacy singles (possibly even dual lands) will be catastrophic.

Catastrophic and hilarious.

kirblar

After Richmond, it's blatantly clear that they're probably losing attendance #s not doing Modern on Day 2. The elephant in the room, of course, is "how does the Legacy market react to this."

MjFrancis

I remember when I got back into Magic and I was putting Gitaxian Probe into decks that didn't use blue. My friend was like "dude, why". I look smart now haha

However, he has since become the better player with his constant MTGO grinding (though he says I'm the more creative deck builder). I need to step my playing game up.
It's one of those cards that tests your knowledge of the game. A new player won't understand why you pay 2 life for a card that lets you look at your opponent's hand, while we see a card that lets us formulate a gameplan based on that hand and replaces itself with another card in the process. What's not to like? If it isn't reprinted or otherwise replaced this card could easily improve in value like Serum Visions.

The second paragraph is amusing because it reminds me of where I'm at. While I'm still new to the game, the person who brought me back into Magic is more than willing to admit I'm a better player than he is. Being a good player is very relative to your playerbase - and as I've mentioned before, most of us are quite casual. I would get my ass handed to me on MTGO or even at a decent-sized FNM.

Hero

If SCG stopped having large Legacy Open events then another retailer would just step up to have their own. As long as there is money to be made buying and selling legacy cards someone will create a circuit or venue to do it.

Even in the worst case scenario the eternal market overseas is large as well and thus why a significant portion of Power is there and most likely never coming back here.

OnPoint

It's one of those cards that tests your knowledge of the game. A new player won't understand why you pay 2 life for a card that lets you look at your opponent's hand, while we see a card that lets us formulate a gameplan based on that hand and replaces itself with another card in the process. What's not to like? If it isn't reprinted or otherwise replaced this card could easily improve in value like Serum Visions.

The second paragraph is amusing because it reminds me of where I'm at. While I'm still new to the game, the person who brought me back into Magic is more than willing to admit I'm a better player than he is. Being a good player is very relative to your playerbase - and as I've mentioned before, most of us are quite casual. I would get my ass handed to me on MTGO or even at a decent-sized FNM.

Yeah, even just a couple months after playing regularly on MTGO he was far and away a better player than I was, since I was just playing my friends. It makes a huge difference.

rCIZZLE

If SCG stopped having large Legacy Open events then another retailer would just step up to have their own. As long as there is money to be made buying and selling legacy cards someone will create a circuit or venue to do it.

Even in the worst case scenario the eternal market overseas is large as well and thus why a significant portion of Power is there and most likely never coming back here.

It's not as easy as you think to start having weekly tournaments with coverage. If it was why aren't we seeing other retailers rushing to have big, weekly Modern tournaments?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I remember when dual lands were $5 and I would instantly trade them away for almost anything. I'd open them in packs and get angry they weren't Nightmares or Royal Assassins.

OnPoint

I remember when dual lands were $5 and I would instantly trade them away for almost anything. I'd open them in packs and get angry they weren't Nightmares or Royal Assassins.

I remember when every rare that wasn't a chase was $7 because Inquest printed that as their standard rare price.

Angry Grimace

I remember when every rare that wasn't a chase was $7 because Inquest printed that as their standard rare price.

Man, I had forgotten about that. We all got our prices from some magazine that just had completely random prices.

When I started playing was when Fallen Empires came out. Even then I knew it was a terrible set. I think the booster packs were 50 cents since everyone had huge stocks of them, although Hymn to Tourach was super popular among everyone and was goddamn annoying. (Good players at least ran the version that looked like Three Wolf Moon)

OnPoint

Man, I had forgotten about that. We all got our prices from some magazine that just had completely random prices.

When I started playing was when Fallen Empires came out. Even then I knew it was a terrible set. I think the booster packs were 50 cents since everyone had huge stocks of them, although Hymn to Tourach was super popular among everyone and was goddamn annoying. (Good players at least ran the version that looked like Three Wolf Moon)
That's the art I picked for my monopox deck

Hero

It's not as easy as you think to start having weekly tournaments with coverage. If it was why aren't we seeing other retailers rushing to have big, weekly Modern tournaments?

Just because no one else is doing it right now does not mean it is not possible, nor did I say it was easy.

What do you think is more likely if SCG drops Legacy Opens?

1) All the prices drop down and casuals and EDH players rejoice as they gobble up the supply at rock bottom prices.
2) Another retailer ala TCGPlayer/CFB/etc steps in and starts hosting their own Legacy tournaments?

bigkrev

Just because no one else is doing it right now does not mean it is not possible, nor did I say it was easy.

What do you think is more likely if SCG drops Legacy Opens?

1) All the prices drop down and casuals and EDH players rejoice as they gobble up the supply at rock bottom prices.
2) Another retailer ala TCGPlayer/CFB/etc steps in and starts hosting their own Legacy tournaments?

I thinks it's more of the prices stay the same, and no new circuit starts up.

rCIZZLE

I thinks it's more of the prices stay the same, and no new circuit starts up.

I agree. I'd think some prices would drop since more people would be looking for singletons for EDH instead of playsets though.

SCG hasn't really made a move on modern yet so if other retailers were looking for the opportunity of hosting their own tournament series, why wouldn't they go with the hotter format with the brighter future?

Wichu

Just played in a BNG/THS/THS draft. I put together what I thought was a pretty good R/G deck and listened to my friend's recommendation to avoid splashing two extra colours.

I lost horribly; I couldn't aggro fast enough and usually got my opponents down to <5 life before getting overwhelmed by large blockers and bestowed creatures.

Afterwards, I tried doing what my friend insisted against, and played some friendly games with the now four-colour deck.

My army of medium-sized creatures eventually got stopped by a few large defensive dudes as usual. But then BAM down come Ashiok and Phenax, and suddenly my army of creatures means my opponent doesn't have a library any more.

Inconsistent, sure. But fun as hell. Next time I'm just going to ignore my friend and run as many colours as I want :p

bigkrev

That said, if SCG tomorrow started running Modern events instead of Legacy, and we somehow found out that Fetches weren't in the fall set, I predict Misty and Tarn would both easily crack 200 by the end of the summer

bigkrev

http://www.channelfireball.com/articles/story-circle/

A lot of Peter Szigeti's antics were mean spirited or over the line. But this particular time, he came up with something clever that to this day remains one of the funniest things I've ever seen. Late night at one of the tournaments, there were a lot of people team drafting, as was often the case at the time. Close by the many tables of team drafters was a guy who had just fallen asleep face down on a table. This gave Peter an idea.

Peter went around to all the draft tables and picked up a bunch of cards that people had left behind as garbage. Using those cards, he constructed two feasible, playable Limited decks. He then took the decks over to the table with the sleeping guy, and set up a complete game state. He gave both players hands, creatures, lands, a board presence, a scorepad with life totals, a graveyard etc. After everything was set he tapped the guy who was asleep and said, “It's your turn.” The guy woke up and looked around very puzzled. He immediately began to survey his hand and the board with a look of astonishment. He clearly had no idea what to do or how to react. Peter said again, “I'm done, it's your turn.” The puzzlement of the guy began to grow. He looked around in total disbelief. He paused again as he surveyed the situation. Peter said again, very calmly, “Go, it's your turn.” At this point, the guy stood up, and walked away, with a look on his face that can only be described as a cross between complete terror and confusion.

Yep, i'm doing this at my next midnight pre-release

rCIZZLE

Haha that's great. Reminds me of one of my teachers who pranked a sleeping student. He had everybody get up and leave the room, dropped the shades, turned out the lights in both the room and the hallway, and had the janitor come in and wake him up while pretending to be cleaning.

I really love playing Nic Fit in Legacy, but really hate how much work you have to do to get each and every win.

Still, I just recurring nightmare looped Thragtusk on some poor U/R Delver player's near-empty board, so when you do win it's pretty overwhelming.

Top Bottom