• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

Do people usually frown at splitting in draft?

Going into game 3 I was 2-0 and this other guy was too. We decided to split.

I'm pretty new to magic and dont really know the etiquette behind it.

f0rk

No, not really. It seems pretty low stakes in a draft though, unless one of you has to go or something.

ultron87

At my LGS almost everyone splits the finals of any event. I usually offer it in draft since that gets you more time to draft again.

I do wish they would switch to paying out prizes by record for Swiss events though. That way people would actually maybe play the finals instead of drawing out to first and second at FNM. It just makes way more sense to get the guaranteed first and second when those pay out significantly higher than anything else and a loss in the final round could maybe get you screwed by breakers (but probably not since the last two undefeateds should theoretically have the best OMW%).

As for etiquette you can pretty much just say "wanna split?" and you should be fine. Just make sure you don't do say anything that could be construed as bribery (ie "I'll give you a pack to split" or "I'll give you a pack if you give me the win") as that is a good way to get kicked out of an event.

Hero

Peasant Cube is a lot more fun than powered cube. Powered cube is a wreck of mana accelerants, bomb sorceries, and high cost , trumping threats outside of the fun police archetypes if they are supported in the cube. Peasant keeps it real and makes for a nice preservation of the good experience of playing limited (trying to eek out value, tempoing out, etc) and less of the bad (playing with fuck awful cards).

That's a lot of words to describe boring Magic. :)

A wee bit too much variance to be the best format. When one person draws power and the other one doesn't in the early turns it feels like the two players aren't even playing the same game.

I appreciate Peasent Cube because it gives a home to plenty of good cards that otherwise wouldn't see the light of day in most normal Cubes but I still prefer the power and sick plays Rare-Cubes allow :)

Sure, you're on.
Kessig is not a generic name but rather a specific place on Innistrad. So the chances of showing up on Theros are.............

Sure, there is variance, there is always variance. But if everything is broken then it evens itself out. It's like Marvel vs Capcom 2.

y2dvd

Even the more hardcore players split. The guy running FNM even asked if top 8 wanted to split. Some did, some didn't, but no one really frowned going either way.

Powered Cube all the way.

Best format in the game.

One of my friends decided to make an all-multicolor-and-artifact cube, and decided it would be a good idea to put all five of the protection swords in it. One of the worst play experiences I've ever had. He refuses to take the swords out too. It boggles my mind

rCIZZLE

People overrate the effectiveness of deodorant. These places are often hot with poor air circulation. Deodorant doesn't help the sweat coming from everywhere outside of your pits.

I remember walking around the main floor late Saturday and it was like an oven. That was just me off to the side talking with a couple friends. Can't imagine how I would have felt playing elbow to elbow in the main event in that room.

kirblar

I remember walking around the main floor late Saturday and it was like an oven. That was just me off to the side talking with a couple friends. Can't imagine how I would have felt playing elbow to elbow in the main event in that room.
I was so glad I ended up in the pink flight.

rCIZZLE

So what do you guys think about Scapeshift? I'm looking for a deck that's better than Hatebears but cheaper than RUG Twin on modo. I've been having a lot of fun with it on cockatrice but don't really know how it'd stack up against the strong competition in dailys.

Crocodile

That's a lot of words to describe boring Magic. :)

Sure, there is variance, there is always variance. But if everything is broken then it evens itself out. It's like Marvel vs Capcom 2.

That analogy fails because

A) Not everything is broken to the same degree
B) You aren't denied characters in a FG like you can be denied access to cards (nature of a draft vs. character select)
C) Said characters are always available at any time and in any order in a FG; in Magic you could never draw them/draw them too late vs. an opponent who has them in their opening hands/early.
D) Even amongst those who enjoy MvC2, they recognize its not a well designed game. Do we really want to be taking lessons from it :p

Of course that isn't to say Power Cube is unfun - its still Magic and its still Cube. I just don't agree its the best variation of Cube.

BBD's post on the Crackstyle "scandal" is measured, appropriate, and extraordinarily well-written.

https://www.facebook.com/brian.braunduin/posts/10152276243870259

This one quote sums up my extreme frustration at the whole thing:

How many people laughed at the thread, then saw players like Kibler and LSV post against this guy, and then changed their tune to argue for him being banned? I bet it is a lot of people, and it is completely hypocritical.

We're in a seriously dangerous place as a community if people like Kibler and LSV voicing their personal opinion can create a wave of sentiment that results in players getting banned.

kirblar

He was always getting suspended. There's a good reason (see: it going viral) for them actively working to disincentize people from copying him, plus there's precedent.

He was always getting suspended. There's a good reason (see: it going viral) for them actively working to disincentize people from copying him, plus there's precedent.

The latest suspension list included names from Monday, but did not include him. If he has been suspended, it hasn't been reported in the official suspension list yet.

And there's a gulf of difference between this guy's childish humour and presentation and Dr8sides' unmitigated dickishness.

You're right of course that WotC can't just ignore it. In today's world of entitlement where we enable outrage and every offense must be met with apology or punishment, the best way to make this go away is just to ask the guy to post some sort of apology and then let it go. "I'm sorry, I did it in humor, I didn't mean to offend, yada yada yada."

(Can you tell I have no patience for the modern culture of posturing offense?)

rCIZZLE

Especially since it's reddit. Do you really want members of that unoriginal meme-killing hivemind to be running around tournaments chasing upvotes? Plus you'll probably be seeing less exposed cracks as this made at least some people more aware of their clothing problems.

Especially since it's reddit. Do you really want members of that unoriginal meme-killing hivemind to be running around tournaments chasing upvotes? Plus you'll probably be seeing less exposed cracks as this made at least some people more aware of their clothing problems.

I suppose I'm not giving enough weight to stopping copycats. As a one-off it really doesn't bother me. If it did become a trend, that would get obnoxious real quick.

Banning this guy is (or would be) absurd. He didn't do anything wrong, and deterrence doesn't work as an argument because it would be super easy to do something like this anonymously.

This isn't illegal, it's not immoral, it's no bullying, it's funny, and it's biting social commentary.

kirblar

Banning this guy is (or would be) absurd. He didn't do anything wrong, and deterrence doesn't work as an argument because it would be super easy to do something like this anonymously.

This isn't illegal, it's not immoral, it's no bullying, it's funny, and it's biting social commentary.
There's been a ban for similar behavior. There will be a ban this time. They don't want this being imitated, with very good reason. It's terrible PR for the game.

Has anyone heard rumblings of Lord of the Unreal getting ready to spike? I saw something on Tumblr but couldn't tell if it had merit or not.
Seems like a neat card though. Could be cool for a casual mono blue illusion deck or something.

There's been a ban for similar behavior. There will be a ban this time. They don't want this being imitated, with very good reason. It's terrible PR for the game.

Yeah I mean they definitely are within their rights to ban him since it's their artificially created tournament system. And it may even be a good PR move for them.

It's still not cool, though. Like I said, he did nothing wrong.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

Its a really good way to get your entire community mocked. Honestly, banning the guy is just going to make the Magic community seem even more insular and exclusionary than it already is.

Hero

That analogy fails because

A) Not everything is broken to the same degree
B) You aren't denied characters in a FG like you can be denied access to cards (nature of a draft vs. character select)
C) Said characters are always available at any time and in any order in a FG; in Magic you could never draw them/draw them too late vs. an opponent who has them in their opening hands/early.
D) Even amongst those who enjoy MvC2, they recognize its not a well designed game. Do we really want to be taking lessons from it :p

Of course that isn't to say Power Cube is unfun - its still Magic and its still Cube. I just don't agree its the best variation of Cube.

It's not a perfect analogy because they are two different types of games. The analogy is they are both fundamentally broken but people still have fun with it. Spells will never be as good as early Magic ones were. Doesn't mean you can't have fun with it.

I view Power Cubes as the all stars Magic since the beginning. No matter what type of Cube you have there will always be broken stuff compared to the rest.

red13th

I don't actually have a strong opinion on whether the ass crack reddit dude should be banned, I don't care either way, but Brian said some stupid stuff on that Facebook post.

I don't think a witch hunt culminating in the banning someone who likely had no intent of doing anything wrong is the way to accomplish this.

:lol

I have a lot of cool ideas for MTG themed skits that I am now too afraid to ever do, because if I somehow hit a wrong nerve in one of them, a witch hunt will show up at my door and I will end up banned from Magic.

That's certainly very likely. We see MtG-related witch hunts all the time! Like Bertoncini, or posting ass cracks or... sorry those are the only witch hunts I can remember from recently.

We should use this as a chance to educate people and grow, not harshly punish one guy and likely embitter him and his friends from ever wanting to do anything MTG related again.

Sure I'll cry a river over some dude quitting Magic, I bet WotC will too.

MjFrancis

I am just thankful that my local game store is small and just about everyone who shows up to FNM has the whole personal hygiene thing down. There are a couple smokers, and while that is an unpleasant smell (particularly on rainy days) that's about all I have noticed.

y2dvd

So this one lgs I go to is pretty small with a few loyalists. We normally draft on Tuesdays but couldn't shoot one off this week because we didn't get enough people. So they are closing shop and the few loyalists that were there were just chatting outside the store for a bit. The one clerk that works there leaves and tells us his boss said not to loiter here. We're like "We are yalls most loyal costumers and yall are kicking us away?" Lol what a kick to the face. It's a good way to make me not loyal anymore, I'll say that.

So this one lgs I go to is pretty small with a few loyalists. We normally draft on Tuesdays but couldn't shoot one off this week because we didn't get enough people. So they are closing shop and the few loyalists that were there were just chatting outside the store for a bit. The one clerk that works there leaves and tells us his boss said not to loiter here. We're like "We are yalls most loyal costumers and yall are kicking us away?" Lol what a kick to the face. It's a good way to make me not loyal anymore, I'll say that.

The clerk probably just wants to go home. Closing time means just that-the store is closing, and they can't just leave with a bunch of people in their parking lot loitering.

If you want to keep talking or what not after closing time go to IHOP/Dennys or a bar. This isn't about respecting loyal customers, this is about letting someone whose shift is done get home and not running afoul of the law or other tenants in the shopping center due to loitering.

f0rk

Any of you guys play Modern on Cockatrice? Looking to get some games in.

I might try over the weekend. I want to test UW control before dropping £250 on the cards (why didn't I buy the 4th Cryptic when they were £25 or the Vendilion Clique before they were £50 :()

rCIZZLE

I might try over the weekend. I want to test UW control before dropping £250 on the cards (why didn't I buy the 4th Cryptic when they were £25 or the Vendilion Clique before they were £50 :()

It'd be nice to get a few games in with someone who doesn't ragequit after I play anything relevant lol.

Went 2-0-1 in my draft pod tonight, which was enough to tie for first with the other guy I drew with in round 2. I drafted my favorite deck in the format - UG tempo, and just curved out all night again. Gotta love 'dem banisher priests.

I also got another Hunter's Prowess. Holy crap - that card is so unfair in limited it's unreal.

Top Bottom