• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

I played Reid Duke's UW Tron list in a local Modern tournament last night.

Was great fun and felt like it had game against almost everything. I did get run over by a midrange zoo deck because I was choking on draw spells, but I never felt really outclassed....

Except when I went up against a Thoughtseize-Snapcaster-Vendilion Clique deck. A deck like Tron with that many mana sources and big spells just can't stand up to its hand getting ripped apart under pressure.

Not sure what if anything I can do about it. Im considering adding some Leyline of Sanctity to the board, but I don't know; that seems a little soft.

Home

So the buttcrack dude got banned for 18 months, just like dr8sides did a while ago for making fun of people at a gp in public.

Anyways, skipping out on a fairly close gp in montreal this weekend because my limited skills are pretty bad and I've only got one bye. Heading to cinncinatti next weekend because I promised some friends I'd drive. Can't wait to play some standard.

y2dvd

The clerk probably just wants to go home. Closing time means just that-the store is closing, and they can't just leave with a bunch of people in their parking lot loitering.

If you want to keep talking or what not after closing time go to IHOP/Dennys or a bar. This isn't about respecting loyal customers, this is about letting someone whose shift is done get home and not running afoul of the law or other tenants in the shopping center due to loitering.

I suppose. It just came off rude. I'm used to chilling outside an arcade long after it closes. The owner was cool like that and made us more loyal. Showing trust to your regulars goes a long way.

My opinion? An 18 month suspension is completely outside the realm of common sense and rational thought.

You can cite "precedent" all you like, but the conduct of the individual in their reaction to the incident should count for something. A reasonable baseline suspension for something like this would 6 months, with the option for making it longer based on the individual's response, personal statement, etc. Stealing a pack of bubble gum and stealing a car are the same classification of offense, but orders of magnitude different.

Of course, we haven't seen this guy's official statement to Wizards. For all we know, he was a raging asshole there and deserved it (and I'm assume he hasn't had infractions in the past; I know nothing of his history). And we also know that Wizards has both reduced and extended suspensions in the past when it was deserved as well. But 18 months is the kind of suspension that basically says "we don't want you ever playing our game again," not "we think what you did was wrong, and we hope you learn to become a better person in the future."

Which of those two messages do you think is correct?

MjFrancis

It hurt the game's image, which in turn could affect the company's bottom line.

In that context, it makes sense. It doesn't make it right, but it makes sense.

Do cheaters even get suspended for that long?

This isn't about the integrity of the game, it's a decision in the interest of the profit motive of wizards. Enough people had their stereotypical idea of magic players as fat, sweaty, neckbeards affirmed, and there's no telling how much damage that kind of publicity might do to future sales of product.

It really is difficult for me to attend events with all of the gross shit people do and show up smelling like. It's been a huge pet peeve of mine since I started playing last year to see the awful care that some mtg dudes take of their appearances and hygiene. One match I had to pause and get a different chair because the previous player sitting in it literally made it smell like a dirty diaper.

I was also unable to interest my gf in the game after attending a couple events with her because of sexist commentary, antisocial behavior, offensive odors, and general supernerd fuckery. She still likes the magic mechanics, so we buy far fewer cards and play at home with each other instead.

If the community is in denial about the problem and wants to continue being antisocial and insular then they will continue to be 'bullied' and mocked. Fortunately though, I see a lot of players speaking out to support the opposite point of view. I think it's shortsighted of wizards not to set some kind of standard of quality for behavior and hygiene at events, but it's fucking absurd that we even have to have this discussion when this game is played by [mostly] grown men.

ultron87

Honestly if he had just posted it in the Magic Reddit instead of Funny I'd be way more sympathetic. That is the difference between "hey, community, this should be better" and "look at the slovenly nerds!"

That said, 18 months seems extreme.

Have you seen his tweets at Helene? There's zero chance octogon's ban is getting reduced.

And I think satire is as valid of a way to make a point as anything, and I think that's what this guy thought he was doing. If he crossed the line, then he should get a reasonable suspension. 18 months isn't reasonable.

kirblar

Have you seen his tweets at Helene? There's zero chance octogon's ban is getting reduced.

And I think satire is as valid of a way to make a point as anything, and I think that's what this guy thought he was doing. If he crossed the line, then he should get a reasonable suspension. 18 months isn't reasonable.
? It's been over for ages.

I don't think he was being that strategic. Seemed like the guy thought it would be funny to post asscrack selfies without recognizing that it would come across as insensitive and give anonymous reddit trolls free reign to make fun of the mtg community.

Fuck this guy, I really don't care that he got suspended. Suspend him for life for all I care. The problem is that the punishment does not address the elephant in the room, which is the discomfort and feeling of dread that some of us feel when we attend certain mtg events. If your mission statement is to make these events a safe and fun experience for everyone, then you are miserably failing at that goal.

Let's be clear, wizards' sole motivation is the preservation of the bottom line. I just think it's become obvious that somebody in charge lacks the political skill that it would take to subtly affect positive change amongst participants which would paint the game in a more positive light to the general public.

? It's been over for ages.

My bad; I guess I just assumed he must still be (or at least deserved to still be) based on his attitude on twitter.

I don't think he was being that strategic. Seemed like the guy thought it would be funny to post asscrack selfies without recognizing that it would come across as insensitive and give anonymous reddit trolls free reign to make fun of the mtg community.

Fuck this guy, I really don't care that he got suspended. Suspend him for life for all I care. The problem is that the punishment does not address the elephant in the room, which is the discomfort and feeling of dread that some of us feel when we attend certain mtg events. If your mission statement is to make these events a safe and fun experience for everyone, then you are miserably failing at that goal.

Let's be clear, wizards' sole motivation is the preservation of the bottom line. I just think it's become obvious that somebody in charge lacks the political skill that it would take to subtly affect positive change amongst participants which would paint the game in a more positive light to the general public.

Sure; I have no idea what this guy was really thinking. Letting him get off scot free probably isn't a good idea. And I think you're absolutely right; he's being made an example of just to try to ensure that nobody does this again because Wizards really doesn't want this kind of press. Honestly, I'm mostly just overreacting to everybody out there trying to string him up as some sort of nefarious cyber-bully; if I had to guess, it feels like those people are just using him as an effigy to take out their anger at being bullied themselves (I'm don't think anyone here is doing that, but that reaction is very prevalent on Reddit/other forums).

red13th

The asscrack dude kind of seems like a self-centered jerk. He proclaimed himself the king of internet and is generally obnoxious on twitter. Some nerds really crave for attention I suppose.

The asscrack dude kind of seems like a self-centered jerk. He proclaimed himself the king of internet and is generally obnoxious on twitter. Some nerds really crave for attention I suppose.

Is he? I couldn't actually find his twitter handle (although, I didn't honestly look that hard).

If something like that ever happens, which is unlikely in the first place, it won't be in a multiplayer draft set that's aimed toward casual players.

I wish I were wrong about this.

Hero

If something like that ever happens, which is unlikely in the first place, it won't be in a multiplayer draft set that's aimed toward casual players.

I wish I were wrong about this.

Right, I doubt it's in Conspiracy, I meant it's more likely we see Snow Duals before Legendary Duals in general.

Right, I doubt it's in Conspiracy, I meant it's more likely we see Snow Duals before Legendary Duals in general.

Eh I don't know about that. Being legendary could be enough of a drawback to be reasonable (from WOTC's point of view) for Legacy to have access to them. Snow duals are basically indistinguishable from regular duals and there's no disadvantage to straight up replacing them slot for slot.

MjFrancis

I drafted last night and did very meh. First match was a draw, but it was a war the whole time and neither of us were unhappy with it. It was close the whole time. Then I went up against a new kid who was about twelve and having a very bad night. I went easy on him, beat him game one but he was happy he wasn't stomped. Game two I didn't mull despite drawing mostly black cards with no swamps in hand. Didn't see a swamp all game, just played white. He was happy to win.

Then I decided since I was going to drop I'd just concede round 3. He played slow and we wouldn't be able to finish in time so two draws would leave me with no prizes and since we had an odd number of players I figure it'd get rid of the bye. I gave him my d20 since he didn't have a life counter and also a stack of 500 bulk commons & uncommon to make decks with his friends. I spent a few minutes going over basic deckbuilding with him and wished him luck on my way out. He thanked me a bunch for everything.

The way I figure it, the shop gets a customer more likely to show up again and I had a good night anyways. Pulling another Thoughtseize didn't hurt either.

red13th

I drafted last night and did very meh. First match was a draw, but it was a war the whole time and neither of us were unhappy with it. It was close the whole time. Then I went up against a new kid who was about twelve and having a very bad night. I went easy on him, beat him game one but he was happy he wasn't stomped. Game two I didn't mull despite drawing mostly black cards with no swamps in hand. Didn't see a swamp all game, just played white. He was happy to win.

Then I decided since I was going to drop I'd just concede round 3. He played slow and we wouldn't be able to finish in time so two draws would leave me with no prizes and since we had an odd number of players I figure it'd get rid of the bye. I gave him my d20 since he didn't have a life counter and also a stack of 500 bulk commons & uncommon to make decks with his friends. I spent a few minutes going over basic deckbuilding with him and wished him luck on my way out. He thanked me a bunch for everything.

The way I figure it, the shop gets a customer more likely to show up again and I had a good night anyways. Pulling another Thoughtseize didn't hurt either.

That's very nice of you! :)

Jaeyden

Eh I don't know about that. Being legendary could be enough of a drawback to be reasonable (from WOTC's point of view) for Legacy to have access to them. Snow duals are basically indistinguishable from regular duals and there's no disadvantage to straight up replacing them slot for slot.

Yeah, it feels like Legendary duals is a decent "compromise" between the spirit of the reserve list and the needs of a growing player base. This set has as many legacy and vintage playables as a commander release does, but a legendary dual land (snow dual is really a finger in the face of the reserve list) doesn't ever really fit right into three color commander sets. A multiplayer draft format gains a lot from having flexible mana like duals. The legacy base gets a bit of an injection for mana fixing that doesn't destroy standard/modern or the secondary market and it's printed in a booster set where sales can be driven by every player in the world chasing very useful and needed reprints. IDK, sounds good to me.

bigkrev

Snow duals are probably strictly better than normal duels- Skred and Scying Sheets are both real cards, and there is no downside to them except for a few creatures with Snow-covered landwalk, none of which are playable.

Jaeyden

Don't forget Extraplanar Lense ;) It's an interesting possibility though. They did just change the Legend rule and state they liked it because it gave more design space especially for lands.

bigkrev

Other idea- how playable are the original dual lands if you tacked a Tec Edge Clause on it? Something like

Land- Mountain Forest
(tap to add G or R)
1, sacrifice an untapped land you control: Destroy this card. Any player may use this ability as long as you control 4 or more lands. Play this only as a sorcery.

Obviously would need more elegant wording, and usable only at sorcery speed to prevent double or triple activations when you have 4 lands out, but I wonder how playable they are.

OnPoint

I'm curious if that's what they are moving towards in Standard. Have the Scry lands be the only duals with a complete set of fetch lands that will only grab basics.

I was really hoping they would have that three month overlap before the shocks rotated out, but I really don't think they'll print 10 lands in rare slots in M15. It looks more likely we'll see them in the next block if we see them soon, after the shocks are gone, I think. Probably spread out like they did the temples and shocks before them, through all three sets.

Legendary Duals would have a hugely warping effect on Modern if they were printed in a Standard legal set. I don't think it would be healthy for that format; if they do Legendary duals, it would have to be in a supplemental product for sure.

kirblar

Legendary Duals would have a hugely warping effect on Modern if they were printed in a Standard legal set. I don't think it would be healthy for that format; if they do Legendary duals, it would have to be in a supplemental product for sure.
I'm very curious if you could do the scars fastlands with dual types.

If printed, they would exist entirely to make Legacy a smidge cheaper. Agreed that they would be obnoxious as the Standard dual land of choice; hence why (if you wanted to do them) I say you jam them into some supplemental product - say, the next set of Commander decks.

Exokell

Banned
what is going on at wizards? MTGO is super laggy. It takes 5 minutes to respond and 10 minutes for me to log in. Are they selling their servers or gonna use them for that conspiracy game?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Because making a product unavailable because it's being bought up by dealers and/or crashing 20-year-old card prices is not what they want to do.

Basically. Short term sales spike isn't worth the long term damage of people being frustrated at not being able to buy product

How does a Legendary dual crash anything?

You might end up with something like the TNN situation where people aren't actually purchasing Conspiracy for the main product, which means people who actually do want Conspiracy have to deal with supply issues and price increases

Jaeyden

It's a 36 booster product at msrp 3.99. If it's limited like MMA then...what? Prices fall, like Goyf, Bob, Clique did? Yeah, right.

Top Bottom