• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

kirblar

Went directly through CF's site with code ORDERDIRECT for 10% off first order to pick up the 3 trops. (Didn't pick up the 4th cause it's completely marginal.)

Have 4 Seas/Tundras/Volcanics and 3 Bayou/Trop now. Up next on the docket- a single Scrubland, but not sure what to prioritize after that.

rCIZZLE

Went directly through CF's site with code ORDERDIRECT for 10% off first order to pick up the 3 trops. (Didn't pick up the 4th cause it's completely marginal.)

Have 4 Seas/Tundras/Volcanics and 3 Bayou/Trop now. Up next on the docket- a single Scrubland, but not sure what to prioritize after that.

I'd suggest Badlands due to it being a common 3-of in Punishing Jund and that being such a popular deck.

An-Det

I'd suggest Badlands due to it being a common 3-of in Punishing Jund and that being such a popular deck.

Agreed on Badlands, though I would prioritize completing the sets of Bayou and Trop first. The 4th on either isn't critical, but I'd still put them over Taiga/Savannah/Scrubland/Plateau (aside from that one Scrubland) unless there is a particular deck you need them for.

kirblar

Agreed on Badlands, though I would prioritize completing the sets of Bayou and Trop first. The 4th on either isn't critical, but I'd still put them over Taiga/Savannah/Scrubland/Plateau (aside from that one Scrubland) unless there is a particular deck you need them for.
It's basically a "if I'm not going to use it in a deck in the short-medium term, would rather invest in other things" deal right now. Def agree i need to grab 4th of each soonish.

OnPoint

Found a slightly damaged Volc on eBay for like 135 and I had to bite. I would prefer the cards I own were in great shape, but I can't play with them if I don't own them. Shame.

I'm glad that Remand is dropping.
I'd like Celestial Colonnade to drop but I don't see that getting a reprint anytime soon. I still need Cryptic Commands and fetch lands too. ;_;

Maybe I need to just start some trades with my spare Liliana of the Veil, Ravnica Dark Confidant and any other significant cards.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Occasionally, I add playsets of duals to the shopping cart and scare the shit out of the wife. I will never own those things

Firemind

Nice. Thank you. Wasn't sure since magiccardmarket.eu has wild deviations for duals, but I suspect it'd be a better investment than Modern staples because of MM2.

Also got a FoW set for 200 so I'm happy.

MM2 won't be until 2015. But I'm still praying to Kruphix that we see fetchland reprints either in the core set (how insane would that be for three months alongside shocks) or in the next fall set.

kirblar

MM2 won't be until 2015. But I'm still praying to Kruphix that we see fetchland reprints either in the core set (how insane would that be for three months alongside shocks) or in the next fall set.
If we have a 4-block structure next set, I suspect we'll get 5 in the fall, 5 in the spring.

kirblar

Did they confirm the 4 set block? Would rule out MM2 for 2015, as they aren't going to release 6 draftable expansions in one calendar year
The next block is Huey/Dewey/Louie. MaRo highlighted a question about "Wait, "Phooey" is a real thing, does this mean....." with a non-answer, so its on the table as a possibility. We'll know more in about 2 weeks after PAX.

bigkrev

The next block is Huey/Dewey/Louie. MaRo highlighted a question about "Wait, "Phooey" is a real thing, does this mean....." with a non-answer, so its on the table as a possibility. We'll know more in about 2 weeks after PAX.

Was Lorywn/Shadowmoore the least popular block in the Modern era? Also, it ruins their Pro Tour format of having it after each set (as a marketing thing) unless they want to add a 5th PT (Core Set PTs start this year). Just seems like a bad idea, When they want to do an experimental block (Zendikar based on Lands, Flip card based Innistrad), they do 2 sets and then a 3rd, large set that changes the tone. That's the modern way to make "2 blocks" in a year

kirblar

Was Lorywn/Shadowmoore the least popular block in the Modern era? Also, it ruins their Pro Tour format of having it after each set (as a marketing thing) unless they want to add a 5th PT (Core Set PTs start this year). Just seems like a bad idea
If they do a 4th regular set there won't be a core set that year. (I suspect their sales have been not-so-good for M13/M14 and that they may try to make them 1 per every 2 years again.)

I've heard the four-block rumor ever since Maro first hinted that the next set would have a unique block structure. The comparison to the Llorwyn block codename is certainly interesting. Llorwyn was announced as "Peanut, Butter, Jelly," with the fourth secret set having the codename "Doughnut" - you thought the three names were the complete set, but really they were two sets of two: Peanut Butter and Jelly Doughnut.

If "Phooey" really is a fourth set, the name structure could imply that it's not two sets of two as before, but either a complete set of four or a set of three with a fourth standalone large set.

OnPoint

I like to think it's him trying to build upon William Jensen's nickname.

William "Huey Louie Dewie" Jensen has a heck of a ring to it.

Oh right! That's why I never draft Eureka in cube. In my first game, I died in the first game with Eureka, Channel, and Show and Tell in hand. In my second game, I died with Emrakul, Akroma, and Woodfall Primus in hand. Let's just hope the next couple of matches go well; I'd rather not lose all of my phantom points...

EDIT: Match two went much better. One Channel > Emrakul win, and one Wall of Roots > Pattern of Rebirth fueled win.

EDIT: Got run over by mostly-red in match three. I won the first game, then lost the second two after resolving Eureka (each time just barely coming up short). Talk about fun police. I probably screwed up by fetching Eureka instead of Show and Tell with my Vampiric Tutor; his hand was all gas, so it obviously didn't work out for me, but I was holding Palinchron, a Deep Analysis, and I had just resolved a Lotus Bloom. My thought process was that Eureka lets me untap my lands and draw some more cards. In retrospect, if I hadn't been greedy and just put down an Emrakul, I probably (?) survive.

f0rk

Starting to think UWR might not be for me, had an awful weekend at 2 win a boxes and hard to tell if it's bad beats or my own play. There's only 2 matches I feel I played poorly and one of those was in the mirror to a friend I would always expect to lose to. Had super fun experiences such as storm going off on 2 lands when I had a Meddling Mage naming Grapeshot (he bought in 1 Empty the Warrens) and a Affinity deck turn 2 Blood Mooning me in both post board games after he played game 1 out way past when I had won.
After trying WWr in Standard I think that might suit me better... but to play Zoo I need 4 Goyfs, 4 Mistys and an Arid Mesa :/

rCIZZLE

I've never been that impressed with UWR. If you're going to play the control game for 10 turns then you should have a little more closing speed than 4 per turn after they've ran out of resources. Assuming you're on a list similar to the pro tour winner. The twin version seems like the best deck for this color combination.

f0rk

I had Gideon + Elspeth main and 4 Geists + Baneslayer in the board. Elspeth never got me out of the hole I was in when I drew it. Gideon was OK but I didn't draw it that much. Baneslayer is great when I get to play it but I think Batterskull is better as a main deck card that they might see.
The decks fine, players better than me get results with it (2 in the top 4 of 26) but I'm not sure it's suitable for me and how I approach the game.

Firemind

Try the tempo list that won GP Prague.

4 Arid Mesa
4 Celestial Colonnade
1 Glacial Fortress
2 Hallowed Fountain
1 Island
1 Mountain
1 Plains
1 Sacred Foundry
4 Scalding Tarn
1 Snow-Covered Island
2 Steam Vents
1 Sulfur Falls
2 Tectonic Edge

4 Geist of Saint Traft
1 Restoration Angel
4 Snapcaster Mage
1 Thundermaw Hellkite
3 Vendilion Clique

3 Cryptic Command
3 Electrolyze
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Lightning Helix
2 Mana Leak
3 Path to Exile
3 Remand

Sideboard
2 Aven Mindcensor
1 Batterskull
1 Celestial Purge
1 Counterflux
1 Damping Matrix
1 Engineered Explosives
1 Path to Exile
1 Sowing Salt
2 Stony Silence
2 Threads of Disloyalty
1 Thundermaw Hellkite
1 Wear // Tear

JulianImp

Hey, I played Dragon's Claw many times before to troll RDW. It does what it does.

I never liked how the charms were imbalanced simply because some colors cared a lot more about you gaining one life per spell they played than others. Lowering all burn damage you take by one is a ridiculously good deal, but doing the same against other colors often doesn't matter as much. Then again, Kor Firewalker was a thing...

My friend built a super-powered cube recently. He picked 100 of the most broken cards and combos, and put 4 of each one together and called it a cube. It includes the whole Power 9, Library of Alexandria, Channel, Show and Tell, Blightsteel, Emrakul, Tinker, Power Artifact, GrimMonolith, Mind's Desire, Top-Counterbalance, yada yada you get the idea.

It was completely absurd but also surprisingly fun. I managed to build a deck with 2 Tinker, 2 Blightsteel, 2 top, 2 counterbalance, and some moxen and I went 3-0. Felt a lot closer to Vintage than regular powered cube does.

Not something I'd do every week, but a nice diversion from the norm.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I'm new to the whole casual Magic formats, but isn't cube a singleton thing? Or is that sort of kitchen table status?

Playing with 2 Blightsteels sounds hilarious

An-Det

My friend built a super-powered cube recently. He picked 100 of the most broken cards and combos, and put 4 of each one together and called it a cube. It includes the whole Power 9, Library of Alexandria, Channel, Show and Tell, Blightsteel, Emrakul, Tinker, Power Artifact, GrimMonolith, Mind's Desire, Top-Counterbalance, yada yada you get the idea.

It was completely absurd but also surprisingly fun. I managed to build a deck with 2 Tinker, 2 Blightsteel, 2 top, 2 counterbalance, and some moxen and I went 3-0. Felt a lot closer to Vintage than regular powered cube does.

Not something I'd do every week, but a nice diversion from the norm.

That sounds amazing and so much fun. Powered cubes are awesome already.

f0rk

I'm new to the whole casual Magic formats, but isn't cube a singleton thing? Or is that sort of kitchen table status?

Playing with 2 Blightsteels sounds hilarious

It doesn't really matter. I'd say most people build singleton but if you're trying to theme it more it can be more like normal limited. You can do things like add multiples of commons and single rares etc

I got this kind of email today:

eRWNgGW.png

I don't remember putting in an email request, unless this was months ago, I may have put in a request, but I don't quite remember.

Should I be concerned/worried or does there system have this sort of delay?

It doesn't really matter. I'd say most people build singleton but if you're trying to theme it more it can be more like normal limited. You can do things like add multiples of commons and single rares etc

My group has been getting pretty creative with cube building lately. The same guy who built Super Powered Cube also made two separate cubes - a Modern and a Classic. Classic has ONLY cards that were first printed in Scourge or before; Modern has ONLY cards that were first printed in Mirrodin or after. Each one supports 10 people, and if you have a large group then you can just mix them together.

Then another guy built a rarity cube with 4 of each common, 2 of each uncommon, etc and each pack has 10 common, 3 uncommon, 2 rare and 1 mythic. With powered cards and some others getting upgraded to mythic. That one is pretty cool.

There are others but they're not as interesting.

ultron87

I got this kind of email today:

I don't remember putting in an email request, unless this was months ago, I may have put in a request, but I don't quite remember.

Should I be concerned/worried or does there system have this sort of delay?

Well if someone else has successfully changed the email address you're kind of sunk since you can't even retrieve a password at that point. It looks like you need to actually directly contact customer service to change that. I guess I'd just go and see if you can still get to your DCI account and take action from there. Otherwise people could... pretend to be you and take Judge tests? I guess?

Well if someone else has successfully changed the email address you're kind of sunk since you can't even retrieve a password at that point. It looks like you need to actually directly contact customer service to change that. I guess I'd just go and see if you can still get to your DCI account and take action from there. Otherwise people could... pretend to be you and take Judge tests? I guess?

I can still log into my DCI number, so the password hasn't been changed, which is nice to know. Where do I go about seeing account settings, I don't even see where someone would be able to go and change the email address.

bigkrev

I can still log into my DCI number, so the password hasn't been changed, which is nice to know. Where do I go about seeing account settings, I don't even see where someone would be able to go and change the email address.

Do you have a common enough name that someone could think your account is there own or something?

f0rk

What are you basing that off? That would be crazy value. Goblin Guide seems like a pretty good bet not sure about the other two.
If cunning is U/B I hope they don't have any mill in there.

Top Bottom