• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

Hero

Where the hell have the card leaks been?

We usually have one or two by now.

Ever since the New Phyrexia godbook leaked they've really cracked down apparently. Only reason we know of RTR was because that populate card somehow got into INN block booster.

So I'm watching the GP Phoenix replays on Twitch right now.

Channel Fireball, I love you. And I'm quite happy seeing LSV on camera all day. But your streaming setup/equipment is ass.

Any of y'all use deckbox.com? I just signed up for it. Never traded online before. Any tips?

I've used it for quite awhile and really like it. However recently they removed the TCG Player dot com pricing from the site and instead use Amazon pricing, which is all kinds of messed up.

So other than pricing it's a great site but check card values elsewhere.

Hah! Okay, it was worth watching GP Phoenix just to see a Vraska ultimate win the game.

Admittedly, the opponent was sorely manascrewed. But still - we now have proof that it has happened once.

I've used it for quite awhile and really like it. However recently they removed the TCG Player dot com pricing from the site and instead use Amazon pricing, which is all kinds of messed up.

So other than pricing it's a great site but check card values elsewhere.

They screwed themselves on that one. TCG Player let them use their pricing for a very long time because they weren't a competitor; the moment Deckbox started offering a marketplace, essentially threatening to cut into TCG's market share, TCG immediately cut them off of using their pricing indices.

June FNM Promo
file.php

Sick. I'm missing a few FNMs this month, but missing out on Encroaching Wastes isn't something I'm bummed about. But the next couple months of FNM promos (Tormented Hero and now Dissolve) are actually really sweet.

Kacar

Won my FNM last night with mono black splashing red for Rakdos return. Return alone won me to 2 games including the final game against RW burn when I was already at 9 life and he had 3 boros charms in his hand. But mainly I think I did better because it was my first time using lifebane zombie in the mainboard. That card was a beating.

Was bummed my LGS wouldn't let me get any more banisher priest promos.

rCIZZLE

Any of y'all use deckbox.com? I just signed up for it. Never traded online before. Any tips?

Ya I've used it quite a lot over the past 2.5 years. Sucks about the dispute with tcgplayer though since trades are very hard to get started when you have to look up every card you're potentially interested in just to figure out a fair trade.

Was bummed my LGS wouldn't let me get any more banisher priest promos.

Were they out? My LGS is usually quite happy to give away old promos; when I would have won my third Banisher Priest last month, I just dug through the promo box and found an old Ghor-Clan Rampager (sweet).

Kacar

Were they out? My LGS is usually quite happy to give away old promos; when I would have won my third Banisher Priest last month, I just dug through the promo box and found an old Ghor-Clan Rampager (sweet).
They had banisher priests I could see them right there in the case. The owner just said "too bad its April" and gave me the waste. But the usually give really good deals on cards so its fine.

rCIZZLE

Looks like Sam Black got away with some shady shit in the legacy open. I'll link the video later since I'm not sure how to explain this lol. Basically he represented attacking with an Elvish Visionary that was summoning sick after casting Craterhoof.

OnPoint

Looks like Sam Black got away with some shady shit in the legacy open. I'll link the video later since I'm not sure how to explain this lol. Basically he represented attacking with an Elvish Visionary that was summoning sick after casting Craterhoof.
I can't imagine Sam Black would do that on purpose... Would he?

It depends entirely on what he said, and odds are we don't know the specifics. But there are legal ways to pretend that you have lethal on board and see if your opponent scoops - e.g., Chapin's famous Profane Command play ("all my legal targets").

rCIZZLE

Well, he needed to get a Crafterhoof up to 28 power to win that turn or he'd lose the following turn. He was trying to get creative to squeeze out a few more creatures when he was around ~16 in play. No way he would need to get creative if his Elvish Visionary wasn't summoning sick. Soon as he realized he fizzled he baited his opponent into thinking the Elvish Visionary wasn't sick and attacked with it.

Ya, it's probably not considered cheating but it's still pretty shady.

Well, he needed to get a Crafterhoof up to 28 power to win that turn or he'd lose the following turn. He was trying to get creative to squeeze out a few more creatures when he was around ~16 in play. No way he would need to get creative if his Elvish Visionary wasn't summoning sick. Soon as he realized he fizzled he baited his opponent into thinking the Elvish Visionary wasn't sick and attacked with it.

Ya, it's probably not considered cheating but it's still pretty shady.

If he physically tapped the Elvish Visionary, or specifically indicated that it would attack, or deliberately stated that he was dealing lethal damage, or otherwise incorrectly stated a fact about the game, it's a cheat. If he just said "attack with everything," he's okay (this is an acceptable tournament shortcut for "attack with everything that can attack").

rCIZZLE

If he physically tapped the Elvish Visionary, or specifically indicated that it would attack, or deliberately stated that he was dealing lethal damage, or otherwise incorrectly stated a fact about the game, it's a cheat. If he just said "attack with everything," he's okay (this is an acceptable tournament shortcut for "attack with everything that can attack").

Ya I definitely consider it cheating but with commentators calling it out and judges right there not doing anything about it, I guess what he did was acceptable. Playing dumb is the best defense.

Sam Black @SamuelHBlack
My opponent and I lost track of the game and remembered the time he deeded all but my visionary. He said it wasn't sick and I trusted him.

Ya I definitely consider it cheating but with commentators calling it out and judges right there not doing anything about it, I guess what he did was acceptable. Playing dumb is the best defense.

Sam Black @SamuelHBlack
My opponent and I lost track of the game and remembered the time he deeded all but my visionary. He said it wasn't sick and I trusted him.

I'm inclined to believe him. Elves can get kinda crazy in terms of board state; it's not unreasonable that they lost track of one elf.

kirblar

I've played against Sam twice, never had anything like that come up. Elves' board state is really stupid and if it fizzled out somewhat mid-combo to where he didn't have the overwhelming forces, I can see how this could happen.

An-Det

Ooh nice, I didn't know my friend Dan Emmons was working on this set. Always nice to see him getting namedropped in the design articles.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
They very much regret printing Kicker and Multikicker at this point. Because just about every spell ability they can come up with could have been done with Kicker instead.

Yeah but man Strive is like, really Multikicker meets Replicate. Actually, its really just Replicate except that it doesn't count as multiple spells.

I have to assume then that the one preview card for it is really really bad at showing it off. There has to be some other interesting interaction

bigkrev

Yeah but man Strive is like, really Multikicker meets Replicate. Actually, its really just Replicate except that it doesn't count as multiple spells.

I have to assume then that the one preview card for it is really really bad at showing it off. There has to be some other interesting interaction

It's a small set. There might not even be 5 cards with it

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
It's a small set. There might not even be 5 cards with it

If they ability worded it it will have more then five cards. They've learned their lesson from Sweep

I mean, I get that the ability works well with Heroic, but its just Replicate. I'm assuming what they did is on more complex cards with it it has a rider like "for each additional target beyond the first blah blah X" or something

The best preview card is probably this one:

V3BPqHgGlq_EN.jpg

This is going to be a cube staple I'm sure. It's not like black is short on 2-power 1-drops, but one that can be a mini-falter as well? Sign me up.

Crocodile

Thank god, Monstrosity is back.

Agreed x 10000000

All the preview cards are garbage

Huh? One drop minotaur is a snap include for most Cubes and might, MIGHT help Minotaurs ascend to a tier 2 deck
(probably not though LOL)
. Eidolon of Blossoms looks awesome to build around - I agree the body is weak and expensive but since you always get your card back at least I think we may be underestimating it.

Strive looks super uninspired and I see they are still being conservative with Scry. Speaking of inspiration, Maro's article says there are more inspired cards but it isn't listed in the mechanic article. Weird.

Most of the other cards are limited filler, what did you expect for those :p

Hero

The best preview card is probably this one:

V3BPqHgGlq_EN.jpg

This is going to be a cube staple I'm sure. It's not like black is short on 2-power 1-drops, but one that can be a mini-falter as well? Sign me up.

My card of the previews tonight too. Always enjoy a 2 powered 1 drop that gets an upside.

The new minotaur is also the first Bestow creature we've seen that makes you want to put it on your opponent's creatures in some situations. This makes me believe that we're going to see a Bestow creature with Defender, perhaps one with the Welkin Tern/Vaporkin clause, etc.

bigkrev

Agreed x 10000000

Huh? One drop minotaur is a snap include for most Cubes and might, MIGHT help Minotaurs ascend to a tier 2 deck
(probably not though LOL)
. Eidolon of Blossoms looks awesome to build around - I agree the body is weak and expensive but since you always get your card back at least I think we may be underestimating it.

Strive looks super uninspired and I see they are still being conservative with Scry. Speaking of inspiration, Maro's article says there are more inspired cards but it isn't listed in the mechanic article. Weird.

Most of the other cards are limited filler, what did you expect for those :p

The minotaur is probably the third best black 1 drop with 2 power in standard right now- it isn't making the cut. Eidolon of Blossoms is yet another enchantress, with the only playable one ever being the one that cost half the mana of this and was really hard to kill. Strive isn't going to have a single playable outside of draft. I'm underwhelmed. On the first day, there should at least be something that makes me go "wow"

I've barely played any magic since I attempted to leave the game with the release of Born of the Gods (and the printing of Archetype of Endurance), and this set isn't doing anything to win me back. I'm probably skipping GP Philly this weekend, a GP that is effortless for me to attend, because i'm at a point where Magic doesn't mean a whole lot to me. And i'm sorry, a fucking cube card isn't going to get me excited anymore.

Yeef

The new minotaur is also the first Bestow creature we've seen that makes you want to put it on your opponent's creatures in some situations. This makes me believe that we're going to see a Bestow creature with Defender, perhaps one with the Welkin Tern/Vaporkin clause, etc.
I've bestowed Nimbus Nyad onto opponent's creatures just so Arbor Colossus could blow them up. I've only done it twice, but I've done it.

So far, I'm liking this set. I'm interested to see how many cards the print with constellation in each color and at each rarity.

The minotaur is probably the third best black 1 drop with 2 power in standard right now- it isn't making the cut. Eidolon of Blossoms is yet another enchantress, with the only playable one ever being the one that cost half the mana of this and was really hard to kill. Strive isn't going to have a single playable outside of draft. I'm underwhelmed. On the first day, there should at least be something that makes me go "wow"

I will agree on the wow factor. No sweet rares, and the set is only going to have two weeks of previews, which gives ten days for ten mythics, and we didn't see one today? Kinda lame...

I will agree on the wow factor. No sweet rares, and the set is only going to have two weeks of previews, which gives ten days for ten mythics, and we didn't see one today? Kinda lame...

They are probably saving the gods and Planeswalkers for the PAX panel this weekend.

Anyways I think it's time for me to take another Magic sabbatical for a couple of years.

Crocodile

I've barely played any magic since I attempted to leave the game with the release of Born of the Gods (and the printing of Archetype of Endurance), and this set isn't doing anything to win me back. I'm probably skipping GP Philly this weekend, a GP that is effortless for me to attend, because i'm at a point where Magic doesn't mean a whole lot to me. And i'm sorry, a fucking cube card isn't going to get me excited anymore.

Well good thing there are other formats than Standard. If Standard was all I could play I would have sold/burned all my cards ages ago. Is Standard really the only format you care about?

Regarding the one drop, its not like Rakdos Cackler will be around forever. I agree that Argothian Enchantress and Kor Spiritdancer are the only constructed quality enchantress creatures I can recall but they never gave you back a card without any other investment like the Eidolon does. Like I don't have high hopes for its constructed viability but I'm not going to dismiss it outright.

Complaining about Archetype of Endurance (STILL) just makes you look like a whiner when the card has seen no play in ANY FORMAT EVER and probably never will. It's a card you don't even want to play in limited more often than not! Saying this set isn't doing anything to win you back seems absurd when they've already previewed card(s) that WILL 100% see constructed play and like barely any cards have been spoiled.

I can't tell you how you should or shouldn't feel or what you can or can't like but you seem unreasonably pessimistic :(

On a side note, goddamn is the Flores article a giant troll :/ I expected a sweet Wrath/Geddon variant or and engine card given all the pictures and decks in his article :/

bigkrev

So apparently, WOTC decided that visitors to it's website don't need to see the 2 most exciting day 1 spoilers
dakramystic.jpg

aS4hKgw.jpg

Well good thing there are other formats than Standard. If Standard was all I could play I would have sold/burned all my cards ages ago. Is Standard really the only format you care about?

No, I care about modern and booster draft as well. I've tried to get into commander, but it's just never clicked for me- probably because I despise multiplayer games. I enjoyed cube the first 10 times or so I've tried it, but i'm kind of tired of it at this point- there are only so many times you can do something cool before it gets old. The appeal of a booster draft is that you never know what is actually going to be opened- something that cube lacks. There is never going to be the guy who got 5 copies of a card in cube, for example

Regarding the one drop, its not like Rakdos Cackler will be around forever.

This speaks more to the fact that they have done 2 power guys at 1 mana so much that they no longer feel special. When cackler rotates out, there will be another one to take it's place in the next set most likely.

I agree that Argothian Enchantress and Kor Spiritdancer are the only constructed quality enchantress creatures I can recall but they never gave you back a card without any other investment like the Eidolon does. Like I don't have high hopes for its constructed viability but I'm not going to dismiss it outright.

Sure, but you are paying a full 2 extra mana to get that card- which is about what a cantrip should cost anyway. And this one lacks the ability to end games like Kor Spiritdancer, or unkilability like Argothian. It's significantly better than Verduran, because it has power, but without enchatress 5-8 in the format, the deck isn't remotely playable

Complaining about Archetype of Endurance (STILL) just makes you look like a whiner when the card has seen no play in ANY FORMAT EVER and probably never will. It's a card you don't even want to play in limited more often than not!

I don't care if it's playable, its existance shows me that WOTC still hasn't learned that Hexproof is the most dangerous mechanic to the health of the game since Affinity for Artifacts. It does nothing but create games that when you loose, the only things you want to do is punch the other player and quit Magic forever. I was disgusted by the reprint of Gladecover Scout in M14, and take each Hexproof card as an attack on the health of Magic.

Saying this set isn't doing anything to win you back seems absurd when they've already previewed card(s) that WILL 100% see constructed play and like barely any cards have been spoiled.

I can't tell you how you should or shouldn't feel or what you can or can't like but you seem unreasonably pessimistic :(

The whole point of previews is to hype you for the new set! And none of the cards on the mothership even attempted to do so. The 2 in this post, which I had to find on other websites, would have been much more interesting previews- a God that while likely unplayable does something cool, and a sweet 1 drop looter variant that is pretty unique, and I can't wait to play with, weather it's in limited or constructed!

OnPoint

So apparently, WOTC decided that visitors to it's website don't need to see the 2 most exciting day 1 spoilers
http://mythicspoiler.com/nyx/cards/dakramystic.jpg[/IMG
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/aS4hKgw.jpg

LOL

They said he believed in fair combat in the Guide.

LOL

Top Bottom