• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
The anti white

eidolonofthegreatrevel.jpg

You need to switch to superior
100 posts per page
GAF.

Jeff-DSA

So this just happened...

Turn 1: Play a forest and an Elvish Mystic
Turn 2: Play a forest and two Elvish Mystics
Turn 3: Play a forest, Garruk, immediately use his -3 and pull out a Worldspine Wurm

Opponent picks up cards.

y2dvd

cX9EXuI.png

Seems like the person who cast this would just get hit by it a lot.

Hmm. Could fit in the burn deck. It could possibly replace Ash Zealot. Sure, it lacks haste and first strike, but the 2 dmg you're most likely guaranteed to do should make up for it.

Oh crap, it's not just opponents but any player. Nevermind, I'm not sure where this card would fit in.

MjFrancis

turnburn.jpg

I'll hide behind fuse spells all day long.

Is Eidolon of the Great Revel good enough to warrant a deck with Mindstatic to protect it?

mindstatic.jpg

Probably not. It would still be fun to try.

Purphorus, Keranos, Young Pyromancer and throw some Burning Earths in the sideboard and you have some fun jank for FNM.

The Adder

Banned
Could someone explain to me why mindstatic exists? Its effect is strictly worse than cancel in all but the most specific of situations (opponent has 6 mana open, desperately needs to play this card, but you're not afraid of that card, just their open mana) AND it costs more. The only benefit is splashibility, but I think most would rather splash negate or essence scatter.

kirblar

Could someone explain to me why mindstatic exists? Its effect is strictly worse than cancel in all but the most specific of situations (opponent has 6 mana open, desperately needs to play this card, but you're not afraid of that card, just their open mana) AND it costs more. The only benefit is splashibility, but I think most would rather splash negate or essence scatter.
Limited.

JulianImp

The Eidolon is yet another red card I probably won't be considering for my mostly red-based izzet deck. I guess it could work in eternal formats, but in Standard it feels like it'd probably end up hurting the deck that casts it a lot, while being ridiculously easy to remove due to being an enchantment creature and having subpar abilities in combat.

Abusing the symmetrical effect by building a deck around it could be an option, but I think building anything around a 2/2 with no combat abilities is a bad idea. I also think it wouldn't even work in an all-out burn deck, since having a conditional trigger that depends on your opponent's deck doesn't seem all that efficient if you're getting two damage out of it.

Strive is interesting in that it works nicely for heroic enablers, but that ability isn't even viable in constructed to begin with, and strive itself will probably only show up on cards that help your creatures while amassing multiple heroic triggers with a single spell.

For a second, when I heard people talking about strive and mentioning replicate, I thought they meant something along the lines of a mechanic that worked like replicate, but for creatures.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
You know what Ajani's ultimate would combo with? Core set Ajani's ultimate. Too bad you can't have them out at the same time, because putting ~100 tokens on the field would be pretty amusing.

So this just happened...

Turn 1: Play a forest and an Elvish Mystic
Turn 2: Play a forest and two Elvish Mystics
Turn 3: Play a forest, Garruk, immediately use his -3 and pull out a Worldspine Wurm

Opponent picks up cards.

I had this happen to me at FNM this past Friday. I Hero's Downfall'd it at the end of his turn, then untapped and swept away his mystics and the tokens with a Verdict. He scooped when I dropped Elspeth 2 turns later at he was still at 3 mana.

#esperisdegenerate

Yeef

In limited RtR I'd rather get an essence scatter or cancel though.
When designing for limited, Wizards likes to have a certain number of A's, B's and C's.

A's are cards that are obvious, auto-picks.

B's are cards that are okay, possibly great in the right deck. Middle-of-the-road.

C's are cards that are near-universally bad.

C's are cards like Mind Static and Primal Visitation.

The theory is that, by widening the gap between the best cards and the worst cards, it adds an extra dimension of skill-testing to drafting. A bad and/or new player may take cards like Mind Static for several reasons. It's the only card in their colors, they love counterspells, they don't understand tempo, etc. The idea is that, when these players take the cards and try playing with them and see how bad the card really is, they'll have that "aha!" moment and become a better player for it.

y2dvd

it fits in burn, I believe

Nah I've piloted the burn deck for a good while now and it would definitely hurt yourself more than the opponent. Everything except Warleader Helix is 3cmc or less. Other decks play bigger spells that would make the trigger whiff. I usually find myself barely winning by a few life, and that's what makes the deck thrilling to play lol, but I need to retain as much life as possible.

kirblar

When designing for limited, Wizards likes to have a certain number of A's, B's and C's.

A's are cards that are obvious, auto-picks.

B's are cards that are okay, possibly great in the right deck. Middle-of-the-road.

C's are cards that are near-universally bad.

C's are cards like Mind Static and Primal Visitation.

The theory is that, by widening the gap between the best cards and the worst cards, it adds an extra dimension of skill-testing to drafting. A bad and/or new player may take cards like Mind Static for several reasons. It's the only card in their colors, they love counterspells, they don't understand tempo, etc. The idea is that, when these players take the cards and try playing with them and see how bad the card really is, they'll have that "aha!" moment and become a better player for it.
Apparently casual players got really confused in OG Rav block when they had 35-40 playables and didn't know what to cut.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I somehow managed to Abrupt Decay a D-Sphere on MTGO such that my Underworld Connections never came back, but I couldn't figure out exactly how I did it.

ultron87

Did you kill the Sphere in response to its ETB before it had actually exiled your thing? That'd make the triggers resolve in a bad order for you, a la the old O-ring Trick.

Jeff-DSA

I had this happen to me at FNM this past Friday. I Hero's Downfall'd it at the end of his turn, then untapped and swept away his mystics and the tokens with a Verdict. He scooped when I dropped Elspeth 2 turns later at he was still at 3 mana.

#esperisdegenerate

Heh, his jaw probably hit the table.

Angry Grimace

Did you kill the Sphere in response to its ETB before it had actually exiled your thing? That'd make the triggers resolve in a bad order for you, a la the old O-ring Trick.

I think that's what I did. I guess I never really thought about it that way.

yea, it will resolve the triggers in reverse order

return to play (nothing removed)
then leaves play

you could bounce your own like this to get the benefit if you had a way to do so

Blue/green god is very disappointing. I can't even see how this would be good in Commander. I mean unless you have something like Seedborn Muse or a Prophet of Kruphix, but if you have those then you're winning anyway. Seems like a waste

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Blue/green god is very disappointing. I can't even see how this would be good in Commander. I mean unless you have something like Seedborn Muse or a Prophet of Kruphix, but if you have those then you're winning anyway. Seems like a waste

Nah its a great Commander card, I'm looking forward to it. Not like the G/W God, who is by far the lamest so far

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I don't understand having those two abilities in conjunction with each other. Is it just supposed to be an EDH thing?

Yeef

I don't understand having those two abilities in conjunction with each other. Is it just supposed to be an EDH thing?
Primarily. It might also find a place in Bant control. Kruphix allows you to cast huge Sphinx's Revelation's and keep all the cards.

Angry Grimace

kruphixgodofhorizons.jpg

Uh... what? So it stays in your pool as colourless, am I reading that right?

EDIT:

silencethebelievers.jpg

Okay, my understanding is that the mana will never empty from your mana pool because the replacement effect of Kruphix causes it to simply stay there as colorless. Its definitely going in my BUG deck when I can get it though, at the very least in the side board with Mistcutter Hydra's against Esper or U/W. Of course, any control deck that decides to stick it in themselves is going to make me want to concede immediately.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Uuuugh, disappointing.

Not that I actually play Magic anymore but still.

An-Det

Tonight I learned that Thrun is a legend, so dont enchant it with Splinter Twin, even though half a dozen people that are watching your game (including the two players) wont realize that this doesn't work like you want it to.

Kruphix looks neat, I like the flavor of it.

cX9EXuI.png

Seems like the person who cast this would just get hit by it a lot.

Nice, probably the first spoiler I really like. I always loved Pillar.

Angry Grimace

Silence the Believers is serious shit. Definitely at least a sideboard card in anything that's dipping black. Black exile is weird, though. It's got some seriously serious art too, for fuck's sake.

Toxi

Banned
Kruphix bores me and I love EDH. It's Omnath stapled onto Reliquary Tower with protection from removal: Boring good stuff for Blue/Green boring good stuff decks.
The anti white

Love this card so much. Pyrostatic Pillar is one of those abilities that has both huge benefits and drawbacks to being on a creature, and the symmetrical effect that's still very advantageous is awesome.

bigkrev

Kruphix is the laziest card I've seen in a while, and probably should have been in Commander 2015 or something instead of an Expert level expansion

Grakl

Bk2llIrCEAA3PKl.jpg

Nah I've piloted the burn deck for a good while now and it would definitely hurt yourself more than the opponent. Everything except Warleader Helix is 3cmc or less. Other decks play bigger spells that would make the trigger whiff. I usually find myself barely winning by a few life, and that's what makes the deck thrilling to play lol, but I need to retain as much life as possible.

talking about standard right?

y2dvd

The good thing about Kruphix is you don't really have to splash white for Sphinx Rev. I played against a few Zegana decks and they can draw just as many if not more than Sphinx Rev can. Not only that, you want permanents on the board anyways to try and activate Kruphix as a creature.

This would've easily been a one-of in control if it was an instant, replacing Opportunity.

Graki: Yeah standards. I wouldn't have mentioned Warleader Helix in any other formats otherwise lol.

Top Bottom