• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

Post rotation aren't we losing a lot of removal options? Maybe it's a card that will be good next block...

I already use Unflinching Courage in my GW deck.

kirblar

Do I make this trade?

My Liliana of the Veil for his:

1x Thalia, Guardian of Thraben (I lack two for a play set)
1x Anger of the Gods
1x Remand (New version)
3x Celestial Colonnade (I need four, but this gets me closer)

I feel that Liliana will see a reprint before Celestial Colonnade does. But other than my Ravnica Dark Confidant she's the card worth the most money in my trade stuff and I thought I should maybe use her for Cryptic Command.
The thing I worry about- you get murdered if Colonnade gets reprinted.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Yeah, there's not much of a spot for Godsend atm. G/W hexproof maybe? I rather get flying than exile. Should be a bomb in limited though. This plus Shipwreck Singer will be lulz.

I guess the problem for me is that all I see it actually doing is +3/+3. The trigger is something that requires the other player to consciously allow it to trigger, so if someone swings at you with an Elspeth token or something with that attached, are you going to block it? Probably not.

Post rotation aren't we losing a lot of removal options? Maybe it's a card that will be good next block...

I already use Unflinching Courage in my GW deck.

That's another question I have - how do people know what's getting reprinted and not in M15?

The thing I worry about- you get murdered if Colonnade gets reprinted.

Yeah, value wise it would be bad.
Monetarily not so much only because I purchased my Liliana's for $35 or less, each.
Let's say I'm trading him a Lili I bought for $35 and that's "all I have into it". His cards even if they drop in price would still be worth $35, I'd say.

What do you guys think of Dictate of Kruphix/Dakra Mystic + Notion Thief and/or Spirit of the Labyrinth? Seems a little clunky to me but I'm not too smart about Standard so I have no idea.

ultron87

Spirit hoses your draws as well, but Notion Thief would be pretty funny.

Edit: oh! You could Mystic on their turn with Spirit out and that would work.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
mangledremains asked: If the Dictates are a cycle, I love them. If they're not, I will weep bitter tears and tear my garments at the hell of non-completion. And still love them.

They are a cycle.

Sweet. I'm curious if they're all effects that you benefit from by flashing it in though

The Technomancer

tumblr_n3puwelZUW1qjqvxao1_500.jpg

OHHHHHHHH

Yeah, it wasn't until I saw that comic that I understood the relationship between Mogis and Iroas.

I'm honestly not sure which of those two got the better end of the deal.

BdUSCjHJlz_EN.jpg

And the uncommon bestows all do have drawbacks.

Blue: "Shy" (the phantasmal characteristic of dying when targeted)
Red: Must attack
Green: Must block
Black: Can't block
White: Can't attack alone

Hero

I like the Ajani except for the ult. It doesn't win you the game in any way, it only prolongs the game. What's the point?

bigkrev

I don't think he is playable, as the only 5 mana walkers that have been playable are Jace (4 turn clock) and Gideon (totally stabilizes the board and a 4 turn clock), but those are 2 nice abilities that build to a bunch of nothing at the end

The Technomancer

I don't think he is playable, as the only 5 mana walkers that have been playable are Jace (4 turn clock) and Gideon (totally stabilizes the board and a 4 turn clock), but those are 2 nice abilities that build to a bunch of nothing at the end
Yeah I don't see him showing up in Standard or Modern. Not really a fan of his design overall, I'd prefer it if the second ability was like -3 but put it onto the battlefield

Tamiyo was playable. But yes, Ajani just doesn't do enough. Heck, the current 3CC Ajani is more impactful.

The Technomancer

U05Ezxwq8V_EN.jpg

Also man, I'm super lenient on power level but this is terrible even for casual Magic. Theres no way this thing survives, or if it does you get maybe one extra turn

Also man, I'm super lenient on power level but this is terrible even for casual Magic. Theres no way this thing survives, or if it does you get maybe one extra turn

And you've put five spells into getting there. The card is garbage; it's just them exploring what you can do with heroic and +1/+1 counters, and it's mythic because hey - extra turns?

They really need to cut down on new ones. We get like 7 new ones a year, maybe put 1 new one in each set from now on and use reprints more

I completely agree.

The Technomancer

And you've put five spells into getting there. The card is garbage; it's just them exploring what you can do with heroic and +1/+1 counters, and it's mythic because hey - extra turns?

Actually...wait...when you play a Strive spell can you pump mana into it to target the same thing repeatedly? Or do they have to be different targets?

EDIT: Bah, its "any number". Lame

y2dvd

Yeah there's too much PW competition. Baby Ajani already does the +1 counter or can get evasive immediately. A turn 4 Loxidon Smiter with flying and double strike is a lot more dangerous than a turn 5 PW that doesn't affect the board that much. The 2nd +1 gets trounced by Domri or Garruk even.

Sage of Hours is one of the worst mythics they've ever made.

Ajani is bad, yeah, but the fact that a card actually says "Gain 100 life" in its text box makes me happy.

U05Ezxwq8V_EN.jpg

He fits, maybe, UG with all of their +1/+1 counters being tossed around. A couple heroic activations and a Vorel swing and he maaaay be useful. But that's a whole lot of dancing for one night with the prom queen. And she may not even put out.

bigkrev

Calling this deck now:
Bant Durdle
New Ajani
Kiora
Fog effects
Sphinx's Rev
Prophet of Kruphix
Aetherling​

I know your joking, but the new Ajani is terrible in that deck. The first plus does nothing, the second isn't going to hit most of the time.

OnPoint

I know your joking, but the new Ajani is terrible in that deck. The first plus does nothing, the second isn't going to hit most of the time.

Bant is def something that I'm surprised we don't see more of, but yeah, he doesn't really fit. Still, I think some hot shot like BBD or Reid Duke is gonna try to break him out though.

I'm not even seeing anything so far that's making me want to keep drafting this block. In the middle of it, I was drafting TTT probably five times a week? After Christmas I was down to three, and right now if I draft anytime other than FNM it's something of an anomaly.

kirblar

I'm not even seeing anything so far that's making me want to keep drafting this block. In the middle of it, I was drafting TTT probably five times a week? After Christmas I was down to three, and right now if I draft anytime other than FNM it's something of an anomaly.
BBD has said "Don't Draft Green" is the trick to the format. I'm so glad I barely have to play limited anymore.

It's not like it's gonna blow up competitive play or anything, but you don't actually have to put the +1/+1 counters on the blue guy with heroic. In fact, with him and new Ajani in play, it might be plausible to gain infinite turns rather easily.

BBD has said "Don't Draft Green" is the trick to the format. I'm so glad I barely have to play limited anymore.

Triple Theros was actually quite balanced. I had slowed down a little bit just because no matter how good the format, you generally need a break. But TTT was actually a really good format; it sucked to lose to Ordeals, but it wasn't that hard to draft decks capable of beating them either. Then Born of the Gods screwed up the color balance so badly that it killed my desire to draft. You either fight like hell for white, or you just build a curve-out deck and hope your opponent misses on his synergies (and with all the infighting, most of the white decks are actually just really bad decks with nut draws). I can't bring myself to draft high variance like that, so I generally end up the 2-1 drafter in the Swiss pod because I wasn't willing to flip a coin on the 3-0 vs 0-3 draft.

And it bums me out. Because I love to draft.

Oddly enough, the format would actually be miles better if we drafted it old style. Born of the Gods should be drafted third, not first.

OnPoint

It's not like it's gonna blow up competitive play or anything, but you don't actually have to put the +1/+1 counters on the blue guy with heroic. In fact, with him and new Ajani in play, it might be plausible to gain infinite turns rather easily.

He needs 5 counters. Ajani can only add 3. So you could potentially get 1 extra turn every two turns in magical christmas land.

kirblar

Triple Theros was actually quite balanced. I had slowed down a little bit just because no matter how good the format, you generally need a break. But TTT was actually a really good format; it sucked to lose to Ordeals, but it wasn't that hard to draft decks capable of beating them either. Then Born of the Gods screwed up the color balance so badly that it killed my desire to draft. You either fight like hell for white, or you just build a curve-out deck and hope your opponent misses on his synergies (and with all the infighting, most of the white decks are actually just really bad decks with nut draws). I can't bring myself to draft high variance like that, so I generally end up the 2-1 drafter in the Swiss pod because I wasn't willing to flip a coin on the 3-0 vs 0-3 draft.

And it bums me out. Because I love to draft.

Oddly enough, the format would actually be miles better if we drafted it old style. Born of the Gods should be drafted third, not first.
Tom LaPille's track record is now horrific as a lead developer.

OnPoint

I don't think Ajani's ability triggers heroic 3 times on the same guy. Pretty sure that wording only targets once despite giving up to three +1/+1 counters. This is what it would have to say to trigger Heroic three times.

[IM]http://gatherer.wizards.com/Handlers/Image.ashx?multiverseid=253565&type=card[/IMG]

You see how the wording changes? Common Bond is more or less designed to trigger Heroic multiple times, hence the two separate "target" clauses as opposed to:
[IM]http://gatherer.wizards.com/Handlers/Image.ashx?multiverseid=370564&type=card[/IMG]

Ajani's ability doesn't trigger Heroic at all, as Heroic specifies targeted by a cast spell, not targeted ability.

Common Bond would.

Jugan would also not trigger Heroic.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I blame all this Hearthstone I've been playing.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
BdUSCjHJlz_EN.jpg

100 Life lol

U05Ezxwq8V_EN.jpg

100 life! That's almost as good as the Hecatoncheires being able to block 99 creatures when monstrous.

I like the Ajani except for the ult. It doesn't win you the game in any way, it only prolongs the game. What's the point?

Nothing. He has two relevant +1s. That, of course, doesn't make him standard playable or anything.

He needs 5 counters. Ajani can only add 3. So you could potentially get 1 extra turn every two turns in magical christmas land.

You need to reevaluate what magical christmasland means to you if the dream is +1ing your planeswalker and playing no other spells or abilities on your turn.

OnPoint

You need to reevaluate what magical christmasland means to you if the dream is +1ing your planeswalker and playing no other spells or abilities on your turn.

It's magical christmasland for those two cards specifically. I was using it more as a term to describe "nothing going wrong". I mean, I'd like infinite turns as much as the next guy, but I can't change how the cards work.

My magical christmasland in standard right now is bestowing Chromanticore on Chromanticore. And I've lived the dream.

Angry Grimace

That Sage of Hours is brutal, especially at Mythic. I barely understand who its for. Its bad in Kitchen Table Magic, bad in Limited and unplayable in Constructed. It honestly seems like a card that just caters to people who get their rocks off on cards that give extra turns.

Just because the words "take an extra turn" are on a card doesn't mean it should be mythic.

They really need to cut down on new ones. We get like 7 new ones a year, maybe put 1 new one in each set from now on and use reprints more

How many of the ones they've put out are really playable though?

It's magical christmasland for those two cards specifically. I was using it more as a term to describe "nothing going wrong". I mean, I'd like infinite turns as much as the next guy, but I can't change how the cards work.

My magical christmasland in standard right now is bestowing Chromanticore on Chromanticore. And I've lived the dream.

I watched a game yesterday where a guy was playing a Chromanticore control deck. He came super close to doing it, but the other guy killed his first one right before he could bestow the second on the first.

That Sage of Hours is brutal, especially at Mythic. I barely understand who its for. Its bad in Kitchen Table Magic, bad in Limited and unplayable in Constructed. It honestly seems like a card that just caters to people who get their rocks off on cards that give extra turns.

Just because the words "take an extra turn" are on a card doesn't mean it should be mythic.

I bet I could get infinite turns off the Sage in my Zegana EDH deck. But that's just me.

Hahaha. So you're a believer then!

Sorry for being short. I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility for your Ajani to survive a turn, have a tapped out opponent, and then cast little blue fella and use some Gavony Township-like effect to put the other two counters on him. I don't know enough about standard to know if that effect exists currently, but Phelddagrif-fanboy here is willing enough to daydream about casual bant infinite turns.

edit!: Fucking Master Biomancer.

reedit: nm, that's only once upon CIP.

OnPoint

It seems like they have though. There were only three in Theros and only one in BOTG.

It's five per block, then whatever they do in the core set, normally.

I'm with people who say they should reprint more often instead of make new ones, but mostly because I miss good Gideon and wouldn't mind buying cheap Liliana of the Veils (and I say this as someone with a playset).

OnPoint

Hahaha. So you're a believer then!

Sorry for being short. I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility for your Ajani to survive a turn, have a tapped out opponent, and then cast little blue fella and use some Gavony Township-like effect to put the other two counters on him. I don't know enough about standard to know if that effect exists currently, but Phelddagrif-fanboy here is willing enough to daydream about casual bant infinite turns.

edit!: Fucking Master Biomancer.

reedit: nm, that's only once upon CIP.

Haha it's all good man.

Maybe he'd be good in some sort of BUG Scavenge deck? It's not gonna make use of Ajani but I can't imagine scavenging a Deadbridge onto him for an extra turn would feel bad. It might be a fun deck at least lol

Angry Grimace

He fits, maybe, UG with all of their +1/+1 counters being tossed around. A couple heroic activations and a Vorel swing and he maaaay be useful. But that's a whole lot of dancing for one night with the prom queen. And she may not even put out.

Sure, if you have like three Master Biomancers out, you're golden. I guess.

Top Bottom