• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

bigkrev

High converted mana cost matters cards (I'm betting we get a full Riddle of Lightning cycle in light of the one spoiler), Power/Toughness matters card (Token reanimation spell), and hardcore kill anything removal.

Also, as a Zendikar throwback, Fetch lands (coming back just in time for no shocks, so no Magical Christmasland)

I don't know if I would do it though- too many people consider RoE a perfect draft format, and I don't have any faith in this current group of recreating anything close to it.

f0rk

Wasn't elspeth looking for something to fight the eldrazi ie Gods? Or was that Gideon. I don't really follow the lore much.

Yeef

Pheres-Band Warchief
Creature - Centaur Warrior
Vigilance, Trample
Others Centaur creatures you control gets +1/+1 and have vigilance and trample.
3/3

ultron87

Wasn't elspeth looking for something to fight the eldrazi ie Gods? Or was that Gideon. I don't really follow the lore much.

Kiora is the one looking for some anti-Eldrazi help. I think Gideon was doing that as well, at some point. I don't know what ended up happening with him on Ravnica.

I believe Elspeth's overarching goal has typically been finding somewhere to settle down, but the plot naturally gets in the way of that.

Yeef

High converted mana cost matters cards (I'm betting we get a full Riddle of Lightning cycle in light of the one spoiler), Power/Toughness matters card (Token reanimation spell), and hardcore kill anything removal.
CMC matters always shows up lightly in every block. RTR had Mercurial Chemister and Blast of Genius; Innistrad has Heretic's Punishment and Mindshrieker.

Ritual of the Returned is a top-down design. Souls in the underworld can come back to life as the returned, but in doing so they lose their identity; in this case their abilities and creature types.

"Hardcore, kill anything removal" is so prevalent because of the gods. A block with 15 indestructible high power creatures needs ways to deal with them.

As far as I know, story-wise, the Eldrazi are still stuck on Zendikar. The next block takes place on a new plane (Tarkir, if the rumors are to be believed), so it seems unlikely that they'd show up. In any event, they usually announce the name of the new block at PAX East, so we'll probably find out tomorrow.

Kiora is the one looking for some anti-Eldrazi help. I think Gideon was doing that as well, at some point. I don't know what ended up happening with him on Ravnica.

I believe Elspeth's overarching goal has typically been finding somewhere to settle down, but the plot naturally gets in the way of that.
Gideon ended up getting caught up in helping the Gateless movement on Ravnica, but we don't know what happened to him after that, I think.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Honest question does anyone care about a centaur lord.
I might if it gave them a more relevant ability. Courser of Kruphix dies a lot and has little to no way to protect itself.

Wynnebeck

Banned
How do you guys feel about running a singleton of Erebos or Thassa in Esper Control? Card draw and stop lifegain vs. scry ability and making creatures like BBoV unblockable?

y2dvd

Somebody will make a Centaur deck. Hell, I will!

1cmc mana dorks, Centaur's Herald
2cmc Swordwise Centaur, Call of the Conclave
3cmc Courser of Cruphix, Centaur healer
4cmc Centaur Lord

Mutavaults will count as centaurs too. They don't have much but I will make a deck for fnm lol.

*edit
How do you guys feel about running a singleton of Erebos or Thassa in Esper Control? Card draw and stop lifegain vs. scry ability and making creatures like BBoV unblockable?

I rather play another Thoughtseize if you aren't running a set already and just rip Sphinx's Rev out of their hands. You will most likely never trigger either gods. Esper runs so many scrylands as is, so Thassa isn't necessary. And you are probably running a bit of removal to get BBoV through.

Firemind

I want a proper mono red dragon legend. Something like:

Smaug, Chiefest and Greatest of Calamities
Legendary Creature - Dragon

When Smaug enters the battlefield, choose target player. You gain control of all artifacts he or she owns.

When Smaug leaves the battlefield, return all artifacts to their owner's control.

Whenever an artifact you control leaves the battlefield, destroy target land.
5/5

Yeef

When Smaug enters the battlefield, choose target player. You gain control of all artifacts he or she owns.

When Smaug leaves the battlefield, return all artifacts to their owner's control.

5/5
A dragon without flying is no dragon of mine!

Toxi

Banned

5/5
They have something kinda similar...
njcdxzejfx_en.jpg

For mono-Red Dragon legends though, there are only Ryusei the Falling Star, Rorix Bladewing, and Tarox Bladewing.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I don't care if its actually "playable" or not, keeping Notion Thief in your sideboard is great just for the feel of knowing the other dude is probably raging when you cast one in response to a Sphinx's Revelation.

Angry Grimace

City of Brass 2.0 is SWEEEET. I got a Standard boner just seeing that thing.

Seeing its price tag is going to kill that boner fast. Its going to be Mutavault priced - its going in a ton of decks in every format including Standard and its in the smallest set of the block.

It's fine as a 1x.

I usually justify it because it rarely gets countered due to the fact they typically tap out for Rev and because you can win the game against control by resolving one ahead of Rev. I sometimes waffle on whether to run either that or another copy of Gainsay.

Firemind

There's always Zirilan of the Claw. Then you have every mono-Red dragon as your general.
Image.ashx

Red has a lot of fun legendaries; it's too bad it's not so hot as an EDH color.

That is my mono red general. =)

Every creature other than my general is a dragon with lots of artifact and nonbasic hate to even the field, since I'm mono red. Flavourwise, I have Boil, Anarchy, Fireball and Disintegrate. Just need a black-boarded Gauntlet of Might and it's pretty much done barring future cards. Maybe a Sol Ring but only the Beta version!

Jaeyden

I don't care if its actually "playable" or not, keeping Notion Thief in your sideboard is great just for the feel of knowing the other dude is probably raging when you cast one in response to a Sphinx's Revelation.

This card reads a lot differently with Notion thief in play.

dakramystic.jpg

Why yes I'll look at the top card of your deck and draw two cards for U. Thank you very much.

Seeing its price tag is going to kill that boner fast. Its going to be Mutavault priced - its going in a ton of decks in every format including Standard and its in the smallest set of the block.

Eh I really don't think so. It's actually kind of a bad card. City of Brass doesn't get played in Modern, and that's actually better than this thing (without Port in the format anyway).

In Standard, what deck really wants this? The mana is already pretty good, and this thing is a huge liability against burn.

Angry Grimace

This card reads a lot differently with Notion thief in play.

dakramystic.jpg

Why yes I'll look at the top card of your deck and draw two cards for U. Thank you very much.

You also get to look at their next draw.

This may be me being an Old Fogey but most of the interesting cards (read: not Limited kindling material) that have been spoiled seem like "a new take on that card from years ago". New Mindslaver, New Mana Flare, New City of Brass, New New Militia's Pride, etc.

That said, I'm loving New Enchantress since it's all I ever wanted from this block. And as a bonus, this new version is silly good with Replenish & Open the Vaults & Heliod & Enchanted Evening & a dozen other things.

Also Kuphrix and Keranos are cool, the RW one is awful and I'm looking forward to BW and GB.

Crocodile

Mana Confluence is a GARBAGE name for an awesome card

Oh and head's up people, tomorrow is the Magic Pax Panel. Expect info on the fall expansion and maybe more Journey into Nix, Conspiracy and/or M15 spoilers :)

No, I care about modern and booster draft as well. I've tried to get into commander, but it's just never clicked for me- probably because I despise multiplayer games. I enjoyed cube the first 10 times or so I've tried it, but i'm kind of tired of it at this point- there are only so many times you can do something cool before it gets old. The appeal of a booster draft is that you never know what is actually going to be opened- something that cube lacks. There is never going to be the guy who got 5 copies of a card in cube, for example

Pretty much no Cube is the same and they get updated every single set. That plus the singleton nature of the format and the constantly new interactions that pop up as cards from dissipate blocks and sets interact with each other makes a good Cube way more variable than any draft set. That plus you never have to play with shitty cards. I can't say I understand your perspective very much :/

Sure, but you are paying a full 2 extra mana to get that card- which is about what a cantrip should cost anyway. And this one lacks the ability to end games like Kor Spiritdancer, or unkilability like Argothian. It's significantly better than Verduran, because it has power, but without enchatress 5-8 in the format, the deck isn't remotely playable

Too many 2/2s for 4 mana have been constructed playable in too many formats for me to dismiss the card outright. I'm curious to see what happens over the course of the next year.

I don't care if it's playable, its existence shows me that WOTC still hasn't learned that Hexproof is the most dangerous mechanic to the health of the game since Affinity for Artifacts. It does nothing but create games that when you loose, the only things you want to do is punch the other player and quit Magic forever. I was disgusted by the reprint of Gladecover Scout in M14, and take each Hexproof card as an attack on the health of Magic.

If the card isn't playable then it can't be a threat to the health of the game now can it? There was no mass exodus from the game when Invisible Stalker was around and there certainly isn't going to be one around when we have shittier hexproof cards around. I can understand if you don't like the mechanic but your reaction is hyperbolic.

The whole point of previews is to hype you for the new set! And none of the cards on the mothership even attempted to do so. The 2 in this post, which I had to find on other websites, would have been much more interesting previews- a God that while likely unplayable does something cool, and a sweet 1 drop looter variant that is pretty unique, and I can't wait to play with, weather it's in limited or constructed!

My point was that is was DAY ONE of previews. Not every single day of previews for any set is going to have cards that any singular person likes especially since cards are often made to appease specific demographics. As for the source of previews, its not like WOTC has ever cared whether the "best" (which is often subjective) previews are on their site or not as long as news spreads (which it does).

y2dvd

Eh I really don't think so. It's actually kind of a bad card. City of Brass doesn't get played in Modern, and that's actually better than this thing (without Port in the format anyway).

In Standard, what deck really wants this? The mana is already pretty good, and this thing is a huge liability against burn.

Chromanticore wants it! I can see aggro replacing or just adding Mana Confluence along with scry lands. Scrying is nice, but usually aggro wants to play lands untapped. (standard talk)

Angry Grimace

This may be me being an Old Fogey but most of the interesting cards (read: not Limited kindling material) that have been spoiled seem like "a new take on that card from years ago". New Mindslaver, New Mana Flare, New City of Brass, New New Militia's Pride, etc.

That said, I'm loving New Enchantress since it's all I ever wanted from this block. And as a bonus, this new version is silly good with Replenish & Open the Vaults & Heliod & Enchanted Evening & a dozen other things.

Also Kuphrix and Keranos are cool, the RW one is awful and I'm looking forward to BW and GB.

There are only so many mechanics that can exist.

Mutavault priced is probably dramatic, but I would bet its still going to be a $15 card. I'm not sure I buy the evaluation that a card is bad because it doesn't directly fit into an existing deck.

It's not like shock lands aren't a liability against burn either and tap lands are pretty slow.

Hey everybody, I've been testing a standard deck on cockatrice and was wondering what people thought of it before I go buy the shock lands to make it in paper.

3 Elvish Mystic
4 Fleecemane Lion
4 Ghor-Clan Rampager
4 Boon Satyr

4 Boros Charm
3 Selesnya Charm
4 Advent of the Wurm

4 Flesh // Blood
4 Chained to the Rocks

2 Ajani, Caller of the Pride

3 Forest
3 Mountain
2 Plains
4 Stomping Ground
4 Temple Garden
4 Temple of Abandon
4 Temple of Plenty

I'm liking it so far, though I haven't played many tier 1 decks on cockatrice. It can deal a lot of damage from an empty board. Also I'm not super competetive, just an FNM player.

Firemind

Mutavault priced is probably dramatic, but I would bet its still going to be a $15 card. I'm not sure I buy the evaluation that a card is bad because it doesn't directly fit into an existing deck.

It's not like shock lands aren't a liability against burn either and tap lands are pretty slow.

Th difference is that Mutavault is played as a four-of, while drawing multiple Cities of Brass is not something you'd want, unless you can outrace the aggro decks ie go off with a combo. There is no combo deck in standard.

red13th

I like enchantress decks but 4cc seems too much for the new Enchantress enchantment creature, although it does cantrip. They should reprint Argothian Enchantress, or maybe Presence so your engine doesn't get bolted.

EDIT: They should also reprint Wild Growth for Enchantress AND Nykthos Green, damn green is the best colour.

Angry Grimace

It'll find a home. Certainly won't mind picking up a playset eventually. Don't really think they are a $15 card though.

Speaking of Mutavault, damn, that shit is $30 now. That's ridiculous.

But I still think Mana Confluence will be at least in the range of ~$15. Granted, pre-orders don't mean anything, but its at $20 now. Hopefully I'm dead wrong and it settles in below $10.

f0rk

Borrowed some cards for Zoo at FNM, started 3-0, fun times were had. Then lost to pod which seems like a bad match up if the board gets clogged as they have the inevitability combo. Then lost to a really bad player who had borrowed RW twin, hard to get through 4 toughness when neither of us play sorceries for goyf. He always played his flash guys main phase and never played around anything, both games running the combo out against 3 cards in hand and like 5 mana open. Unfortunately they were all lands :(

Want to try the Tribal Flames version with Geist. The 15 1 drops in what I was playing add consistency but they are bad top decks and lack the raw power especially when you need to go over the top.
Also need a trick for Path like what Brave the Elements does in standard.

bigkrev

Well, against my better judgement, registered for the GP. Figure I can sell the playmat for near cost of the entry, but damn is it pretty~

I tried Affinity for the first time in Modern last night. That deck is NUTS. I had no idea. It just brute-forces through whatever hate comes its way.

I killed someone on turn 3. Turn 3!

I was trying to build Rwid Duke urzatron, but that deck is really stressful because you're always on the defensive until you claw your way out. Affinity though... Its like you're in the driver's seat the entire game. Completely different feeling.

The Adder

Banned
If you're in Seattle, there's a charity draft at The Dreaming tomorrow.

12:30 PM sign up - Regular $15 Theros/Born of the Gods draft.

6:30 PM sign up - Triple Zendikar pay what you want (minimum $5 buy in) draft. However you can be outbid for your spot.

The Adder

Banned
If you're in Seattle, there's a charity draft at The Dreaming tomorrow.

12:30 PM sign up - Regular $15 Theros/Born of the Gods draft.

6:30 PM sign up - Triple Zendikar pay what you want (minimum $5 buy in) draft. However you can be outbid for your spot.

Just going to quote this for the new page

kirblar

Does anyone know when the WotC PAX panel as, and if it's being streamed?

Be sure to check out the PAX East Magic Panel on Saturday, featuring Dave Guskin, Dave Humpherys, Jenna Helland, and Mark Purvis. For those of you unable to attend PAX East the panel will be streamed on Twitch.tv, watch our Facebook and Twitter profiles for links to the stream!

Seems like they don't know either.

Top Bottom