• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Eh, on second thought it would require too much work to get going in Standard.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The problem is that the only way it would end up being even remotely useful is with complicated combos like Primeval Bounty or Master Biomancer. In the end its just a dumb combo card that wastes a Mythic slot.

In reference to the "worst mythic yet" post last page, it does seem to me that the existence of Ajani is probably responsible for why the blue guy is as bad as he is. I'm willing to bet he needs 5 counters specifically because it was too easy to activate him with Ajani at any less and Wizards would be wise to power down some random blue creature as opposed to one of the faces of the franchise.

Jaeyden

I bet I could get infinite turns off the Sage in my Zegana EDH deck. But that's just me.

Yup. This guy is going straight into my Vorel EDH deck. It's a crazy enough deck when Prophet of Kruphix get's going but this guy will get out of hand quite quickly. He's definitely worth the mythic status in EDH. Sorry, bout all the other constructed formats though.

Holy shit. This card is brutal.

FU3qycM.jpg

red13th

And the ones that aren't kicker are split cards. I think even kicker can be templated as split card too, MaRo wrote a column about it once.

And every ability word is just window dressing on rules text (M14 had a landfall card, for example).

Ultimately, it was printing Kicker that was the mistake, not abandoning it.

rCIZZLE

Ajani is pretty disappointing for any current G/W deck. Can't even put an Advent in your hand which is the only thing that would have much of an impact after turn 5.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Ajani is pretty disappointing for any current G/W deck. Can't even put an Advent in your hand which is the only thing that would have much of an impact after turn 5.

The more I think about his Ultimate, the more pissed off I get. It doesn't actually win you the game in any direct way. It just makes the game go to time. I had a nightmare last night about someone pulling off the ult in a Maze's End deck.

And every ability word is just window dressing on rules text (M14 had a landfall card, for example).

I usually just think of them as thematic, e.g. the keywords are there more for design purposes than it is to actually assist the player in any meaningful way.

Is there something, anything, in black that could use all of that life as a resource? Is there a possibility that there is a relevant function for life gain on this scale? I mean, there could be something to the fact that it's a gross amount of life gain. Why isn't it gain 50? Or gain life equal to toughness of all creatures? I understand this may be reading into it too much, but the specific 100 life isn't even flavorful.

kirblar

It's a PW for the crowd who loves Hero's Reunion. They just couldn't push another green walker, lest they enable 5c green durdle.dec.

Angry Grimace

Is there something, anything, in black that could use all of that life as a resource? Is there a possibility that there is a relevant function for life gain on this scale? I mean, there could be something to the fact that it's a gross amount of life gain. Why isn't it gain 50? Or gain life equal to toughness of all creatures? I understand this may be reading into it too much, but the specific 100 life isn't even flavorful.
Necropotence =V

While lifegain generally isn't something you spend resources on, 100 life gain is actually good, but it also doesn't DO anything to directly win the game. It just makes the game take longer, which is annoying. It doesn't do much to turn the game around if your opponent has 5 fatties out and you have nothing but mana dorks.

Image.ashx

Could've been a Lure Trample Exile to one creature per combat token similar to what we've been seeing with Domri and Elspeth but flavored for W/G. I mean, he's the one that helped hook Elspeth up with the Godsend, right? Or find some green ult mechanics that don't fall in life with the other PWs.

I think a GW planes walker would have also been a good opportunity for an ult-less card with three +1 abilities. A PW with ever increasing loyalty that doesn't help in its own board removal would be cool and consistent with flavor.

Angry Grimace

The problem is that people looking for a Selesnya walker were looking for an aggro card and Ajani is clearly designed to enable some kind of midrange deck. If he fits into a deck, its going to have to be one that isn't currently seeing play in Standard.

That said, people seemed sure Kiora was useless, which isn't really true either (although I'll freely admit she's not fitting into any of the current Tier 1 decks, but that's a dumb metric since there's only like four tier 1 decks and there's no reason to believe they're going to print more cards to enable the same four decks).

kirblar

You know, now that we know the "Mythic Gold Cycle" isn't going to be fully complete (Theros Mythics, Kiora, Ajani) - I wonder if a G/B Garruk in M15 might be part of it, and if so, we might see a W/R and R/U Mythic coming up.

OnPoint

You know, now that we know the "Mythic Gold Cycle" isn't going to be fully complete (Theros Mythics, Kiora, Ajani) - I wonder if a G/B Garruk in M15 might be part of it, and if so, we might see a W/R and R/U Mythic coming up.
But we already have a Gb Garruk, I feel like that would be such a waste. I'd love to see him shift totally to black, especially over the Turd that is current Liliana.

Firemind

Please, no more Garruk.

#bringbacksarkhanvol

Angry Grimace

cX9EXuI.png

Seems like the person who cast this would just get hit by it a lot.

Pop that out turn 2 to convert your game to a big budget game? GR monsters (no ramp) and red mid range have a tool?

It could make a red devotion deck brewable. I'd love to have 2 of these on board while I just drop Purphoros, phoenixes, and dragons on my opponents' heads.

The Adder

Banned
Wouldn't New Ajani be good in a turbo fog B/G/W drain deck. Either have a Sanguine Bond or Vizkopa Guildmage on the field when you're ready to ultimate.

Just make sure you can deal with Erebos.

Angry Grimace

where'd you get this from? also, very mean card

I guess it was on a Twitch stream.

I'm not terribly good at card evaluation, but this seems really interesting, like something that could enable a certain type of deck.

Also, I like this alternate art:

goqHJLd.jpg

I like how the flavor art is like "they're totally difference in appearance!" They're both half bull half dude.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Wouldn't New Ajani be good in a turbo fog B/G/W drain deck. Either have a Sanguine Bond or Vizkopa Guildmage on the field when you're ready to ultimate.

Just make sure you can deal with Erebos.

Standard has detention sphere, dreadbore, and heroes downfall, not to mention a bunch of burn. Fog isn't going to protect Ajani from much.

I find I'm looking for more permanents that don't have a body these days to set up devotion. I think I'd like that Eidolon more if it was just an enchantment or enchantment artifact. Give me 2 red devotion that isn't being board swept by esper, please.

The Adder

Banned
Standard has detention sphere, dreadbore, and heroes downfall, not to mention a bunch of burn. Fog isn't going to protect Ajani from much.

And white can deal with all of those. If you're playing against black side in Indestructibility, if you're playing against Azorious side in some Rays.

Green can deal with the spheres as well as Erebos.

Not saying it's the best deck ever, just saying he

A. Fits in this kind of deck

And

B. Your objections are ones that can be made about any Planeswalker's ultimate in this standard.

Angry Grimace

She was better than she looked because her ultimate was actually very achievable.

Also comes with the side benefit of being able to shout "RELEASE THE KRAKEN" which is really relevant in a Greek-themed block.

Top Bottom