• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

Crocodile

His set # should tell you something very important about this set. (And its location.)

A set with as much multicolor as this collector's number is suggesting seems kind of miserable to draft. Or are we to assume the set is inundated with artifacts and nonbasic lands?

Wichu

His set # should tell you something very important about this set. (And its location.)

No, it just confirms what we already knew - that the 65 new cards take slots 1-65, and the reprints take slots 66-210. They wouldn't do a set of 75% artifacts (Cogwork Librarian was in the 50s).

The location is the unnamed home plane of Sydri from 2013's Commander decks (speculated to be Fiora, Dack's home plane).

Well, I know what I'm hoping to pull at the prerelease events.

I actually can't wait to try this set out - once. If for some reason the multiplayer draft isn't miserable, perhaps I'll do it again. But I'm pretty sure it will be miserable.

Since Dack is screaming cube staple, I don't know if I want to remove Ral from my izzet, or end up having 2 PWs in izzet. 2 really good PWs.

Right now I have:

Fire // Ice
Izzet Charm
Electrolyze
Ral Zarek

What do

My girlfriend and I are working on a Golgari Rock deck for JOU Standard. Here's what we've got:

4 Thoughtseize

4 Pack Rat
4 Abrupt Decay
2 Scavenging Ooze
1 Golgari Charm

4 Boon Satyr
4 Hero's Downfall
2 Underworld Connections
1 Pharika, God of Affliction

3 Polukranos, World Eater
3 Desecration Demon
2 Reaper of the Wilds

1 Vraska the Unseen

4 Overgrown Tomb
4 Temple of M'lady
2 Mana Confluence
7 Swamp
6 Forest
2 Mutavault

Sideboard:
1 Pithing Needle
4 Mistcutter Hydra
4 Lifebane Zombie
2 Underworld Connections
2 Bow of Nylea
1 Golgari Charm
1 Unravel the AEther

Thoughts? I know Pharika isn't super high-power, but she adds reach, incidental graveyard hate and turns on relatively well with all the solid devotion creatures in the deck.

Bow of Nylea is in the sideboard for the burn matchup.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";109068216]No, the golgari dredge deck that does nothing for like 5 turns then drops the guy whose cmc lowers depending on creatures in your graveyard.[/QUOTE]

I've been away from Standard for a bit, I guess. You got a list for this? Or is this all brewnanigans from JOU?

y2dvd

I mentioned the dredge deck in this thread long before it was posted by the pros. People at my lgs have been piloting that deck for a long while to the point I have Rest in Peace in the sb just for them lol. To me, it looks fun to play and gives quite a good match to my decks. Nesspian Asp is usually possible turn 3. Bestow it with Herald of Torment and bye bye life.

Hero

Since Dack is screaming cube staple, I don't know if I want to remove Ral from my izzet, or end up having 2 PWs in izzet. 2 really good PWs.

Right now I have:

Fire // Ice
Izzet Charm
Electrolyze
Ral Zarek

What do

Fire // Ice and Electrolyze are redundant ( which is a good thing in Cube ) but I would cut one or the other to at least play test Dack, he seems super strong. Or consider going up to 5 cards for each guild which is what I'm doing.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I mentioned the dredge deck in this thread long before it was posted by the pros. People at my lgs have been piloting that deck for a long while to the point I have Rest in Peace in the sb just for them lol. To me, it looks fun to play and gives quite a good match to my decks. Nesspian Asp is usually possible turn 3. Bestow it with Herald of Torment and bye bye life.

I think Herald of Torment is going to be a thing soon enough. Its not getting huge play right now, but there's a ton of upside on it.

Oh. My. God.

Jarad and Shadowborn in the same deck, and it's playable? WHY DID YOU GUYS NOT SAY ANYTHING.

Seriously, those are my 2 pet cards of the past year. I just got such a nerd boner

Definitely give the standard Dredge a try then, I've been playing with it for a few weeks and it's very fun and versatile, I think it has a chance to win against most deck types. Flinging Nighthowlers with Jarad has yet to get old for me lol.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
Jarad and Shadowborn in the same deck, and it's playable? WHY DID YOU GUYS NOT SAY ANYTHING.

Goddamit I thought you meant Shadborn Apostle for a few seconds. You'll see, someday my 63 Shadowborn Apostles will be worth something.

The ultimate is near useless. You don't have spells in your deck that target that don't also destroy/exile/answer the offending permanent. Now, if it let you counter your spell in addition to taking control, we'd be talking.

y2dvd

I think Herald of Torment is going to be a thing soon enough. Its not getting huge play right now, but there's a ton of upside on it.

I've been saying it since it was spoiled. With mono black aggro getting another 1 drop with Gnarlhide, it seems pretty viable with Herald of Torment as a top curve.

I need JOU cards NAO to brew. Worst thing is I have to miss prerelease this weekend. D:

f0rk

Started testing block to help for the PT and to decide what to play at our annual GP. The BW bestow deck is good even though it only really gets a land from the new set. I think it's more powerful than mono black with 1 drops, green blanks them pretty easily.
Need to get a better feel of how bad silence the believers is against me. It seems pretty easy to play around.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The ultimate is near useless. You don't have spells in your deck that target that don't also destroy/exile/answer the offending permanent. Now, if it let you counter your spell in addition to taking control, we'd be talking.

The only scenario I can even think of is bolting something with more than three toughness, or possibly using some other form of ping in an EDH deck.

The ultimate isn't good enough that I'd actually want to use the ultimate over the +1, much less the -1 most of the time.

Just bought in for my prereleases and my dopamine box for the set. Gross amount of money spent all at once.

I signed up for white both nights in hopes of getting an Athreos, an Ajani, or maybe even a Launch the Fleet. And then getting my junk gods deck ready asap.

The DRS banning was my "first" ban list update that I had gone through after getting into Modern.

So yeah, that would be interesting if it Pod was banned. I still think it's too soon though.

Maybe BBE gets unbanned though.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I skipped Born of the Gods, because fuck that set so hard, but I find myself wanting to preorder 2 boxes of JOU and a messload (aka a fuckload, buttload) of sleeves.

Is there a site that will allow preorders that will actually make it to my crib on or near release date?

kirblar

This is not a good set to buy boxes of, actually.

Pre-order singles. Lots of them. The lands were the only rares over $4 last I checked, and the Mythic value is spread out.

The most expensive card is Athreos, at 22. Set literally has only 10 cards over $4, and many of those are probably going to drop in price.

bigkrev

I actually think there's jump potential for a few cards. Not quite sure which.

I see a bunch of obvious regression cards (Aegis of the Gods, Eidolon of the Blossoms and Great Revel, Iroas, and Prophetic Flamespeaker), but the only cards I am even thinking about having any sort of jump are Silence the Believers (1.49 on SCG, could easily hit 3-4 dollars) and Dictate of the Twin God (1.00 on SCG).

Long term, Phareka seems like the safest bet of the set- she is probably the most playable god in the set, and is pre-ordereing at only 10 bucks.

Angry Grimace

This is not a good set to buy boxes of, actually.

Pre-order singles. Lots of them. The lands were the only rares over $4 last I checked, and the Mythic value is spread out.

The most expensive card is Athreos, at 22. Set literally has only 10 cards over $4, and many of those are probably going to drop in price.

This is not a bad thing, particularly given JOU seems like a relatively good set. Can't say I'm going to miss Voice and Blood Baron prices.

Angry Grimace

I'm actually saying that this set could see a few cards jump to that level.

Which ones are you thinking? I'm not terribly good at card speculation since I have no claim to knowing where the meta is going to go.

OnPoint

I see a bunch of obvious regression cards (Aegis of the Gods, Eidolon of the Blossoms and Great Revel, Iroas, and Prophetic Flamespeaker), but the only cards I am even thinking about having any sort of jump are Silence the Believers (1.49 on SCG, could easily hit 3-4 dollars) and Dictate of the Twin God (1.00 on SCG).

Long term, Phareka seems like the safest bet of the set- she is probably the most playable god in the set, and is pre-ordereing at only 10 bucks.

I felt like she was one of the worst. Why do you think she's good?

Top Bottom