• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I felt like she was one of the worst. Why do you think she's good?

Yeah, I was thinking Athreos seemed like the most playable one. Maybe even the only playable one other than Thassa.

bigkrev

I felt like she was one of the worst. Why do you think she's good?

There is already a deck in standard that is tournament playable that is G/B, puts tons of creatures in the yard, and plays lots of creatures with double color mana costs to add to devotion. Her ability is very powerful in the late game, letting you turn excess mana and cards in the graveyard into bodies. She is also only 3 mana for a 5/5.

All of the other gods do not fit into current archtypes- the best R/W deck is burn, which Iroas doesn't fit into. Kuraphex is an EDH card, not a constructed one. Keranos is 5 mana and doesn't have a home in any deck right now, and the type of deck that would want him is probably never getting devotion. Athreos does nothing on an empty board, and I think his ability isn't actually that strong- they are going to pay the 3 life every time if it actually matters.

MjFrancis

I think Athreos finding a Tier 1 home like Thassa isn't too far-fetched. The $22 preorder price seems right, people are going to want 3-4 of these since they want it in play T3. Mana Confluence seems to be selling on eBay for $17/ea and that could go up depending on what the mana base looks like for M15 and the fall set. Mutavault prices for that one come fall wouldn't surprise me.

I noticed a lot of cards from the last set dropped in price hard after the preorder blitz. But as has been pointed out, Born of the Gods didn't have a terribly large impact on Standard.

I hope Xathrid Necromancer and High Priest of Penance go up. Mostly because I'm not using mine and would be happier with the money.

But other than her body at full devotion, phareka's entire text box runs counter to the deck you'd drop her into.

I think the one really miscast card from the set is Iroas. He costs too much for any deck that would run him except naya monsters, which isn't even a thing. I like this set but it whiffed on a few things that I expected from it, most notably was adding to and completing a viable mill deck for standard. Really wanted to see dimir with phenax become a thing...

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
There is already a deck in standard that is tournament playable that is G/B, puts tons of creatures in the yard, and plays lots of creatures with double color mana costs to add to devotion. Her ability is very powerful in the late game, letting you turn excess mana and cards in the graveyard into bodies. She is also only 3 mana for a 5/5.

But the deck that puts a lot of creatures in the yard mostly depends on them staying there to win. Using Pharika's ability weakens Nemesis of Mortals, Nighthowler and Jarad.

I think Athreos finding a Tier 1 home like Thassa isn't too far-fetched. The $22 preorder price seems right, people are going to want 3-4 of these since they want it in play T3. Mana Confluence seems to be selling on eBay for $17/ea and that could go up depending on what the mana base looks like for M15 and the fall set. Mutavault prices for that one come fall wouldn't surprise me.

I noticed a lot of cards from the last set dropped in price hard after the preorder blitz. But as has been pointed out, Born of the Gods didn't have a terribly large impact on Standard.

I hope Xathrid Necromancer and High Priest of Penance go up. Mostly because I'm not using mine and would be happier with the money.

I've been playing BUG Control and BUG Midrange on MTGO and the one thing that really holds that deck back is the mana base. I think Mana Confluence is going to be a thing, especially in a deck that's running Courser of Kruphix, which negates some of the drawback.

bigkrev

But other than her body at full devotion, her entire text box runs counter to the deck you'd drop her into.

The only card she has negative synergy with in the deck is Nighthowler, and Nemesis of Mortals to a lesser extent- but by the time you are activating her, Nemesis of Mortals is probably hard castable.

Angry Grimace

The only card she has negative synergy with in the deck is Nighthowler, and Nemesis of Mortals to a lesser extent- but by the time you are activating her, Nemesis of Mortals is probably hard castable.

And Jarad. Nemesis and Nighthowler are the wincons for the deck.

Yeah, she's incompatible with the wincon for the deck and doesn't provide another wincon herself. I'm just not seeing where she fits in to any standard decks. At best, maybe something will spring up around her and you've got yourself a headache of a tier 3 deck, just like phenax.

But hey, she's a 3cmc god in two colors that have a lot of playable double devotion cards. She's got that going for her.

Angry Grimace

Yeah, she's incompatible with the wincon for the deck and doesn't provide another wincon herself. I'm just not seeing where she fits in to any standard decks. At best, maybe something will spring up around her and you've got yourself a headache of a tier 3 deck, just like phenax.

But hey, she's a 3cmc god in two colors that have a lot of playable double devotion cards. She's got that going for her.

She fits into GB decks that aren't dredge decks, but that's not an archetype I see popping up in standard much. Maybe in some kind of aggro deck that's running a bunch of Nightveil Specters and Heralds of Torment?

GB ramp with as much removal as you can muster. Then make snakes. It's still a fairly slow deck.

When I'm valuing any of the gods, I have to ask myself if their text box does anything for me at 5 or 6 devotion, because that's likely all the devotion I'll see except in mono-color strategies. So far, the only gods that have justifiable text boxes are Thassa, Xenagos, and, situationally, Erebos. I can see Athreos getting lumped in there. If Iroas was competitively costed for his colors, he'd be in there too.

2 damage a turn (or none if they have token generation of any kind) with almost no chance of becoming a creature isn't really good. I know...I wanted to make him work.

I think a Rakdos devotion deck may work. Mogis is only four mana to cast.

Creatures you could use in the deck:

Rakdos Cackler
Spike Jester
Rakdos, Lord of Riots
Desecration Demon
Underworld Cerberus

Maybe I'm just biased towards Rakdos though. :D

Angry Grimace

The only other thing I can think of is that the snakes trigger constellation. That might be pretty fearsome if you had, say, Doomwake Giant out on the field.

Crocodile

"ZOMG Pharika exiles stuff in your yard and you need stuff in your yard ergo she's bad!"

You guys know you are only activating the ability when its in your favor correct? Getting an extra body to bestow a Nighthowler or Torment of Herald can be aces. Or sometimes you need to go wide rather than tall to finish your opponent off. A 1/1 + a 9/9 Nighthowler is often better than a 10/10 Nighthowler. The card gives you options and options are good. I think she has a better shot than any of the Journey Gods at seeing play.

rCIZZLE

Is there any pattern that drives booster pack prices on modo? Like what would be the best time of the day/week to sell boosters.

MjFrancis

I think a Rakdos devotion deck may work. Mogis is only four mana to cast.

Creatures you could use in the deck:

Rakdos Cackler
Spike Jester
Rakdos, Lord of Riots
Desecration Demon
Underworld Cerberus

Maybe I'm just biased towards Rakdos though. :D
I couldn't think of many situations where I would go with Mogis over Purphorus. Even Underworld Cerberus gets better with a Purphorus in play.

Angry Grimace

"ZOMG Pharika exiles stuff in your yard and you need stuff in your yard ergo she's bad!"

You guys know you are only activating the ability when its in your favor correct? Getting an extra body to bestow a Nighthowler or Torment of Herald can be aces. Or sometimes you need to go wide rather than tall to finish your opponent off. A 1/1 + a 9/9 Nighthowler is often better than a 10/10 Nighthowler. The card gives you options and options are good. I think she has a better shot than any of the Journey Gods at seeing play.

Except there isn't really a problem getting guys on the field with that deck.

Nikodemos

I think I'll give the pre-release a miss. To me at least White seems ridiculously overpowered (not to mention most players at my local pre event took it so I'd be facing a stream of W/x decks).

Honestly I think that the only cards that will create a real shift in standard from JOU are Temple of Malady and Mana Confluence. Nothing seems too wild to me.

I'll make the same prediction I did with Brimaz before BNG came out and just say that Athreos isn't all that strong. Super synergistic, but I'm not convinced after testing.

Decks moving up in tiers: MBDx(from A to A+), Humans(B- to B)
Decks moving down in tiers: MUD(A- to B+), Esper Control(A to A-)

I think I'll give the pre-release a miss. To me at least White seems ridiculously overpowered (not to mention most players at my local pre event took it so I'd be facing a stream of W/x decks).

It is. Even in regular drafts it is. I just took two tonight off of two white decks.

The most efficient removal at common and the best evasive creatures along the curve. Even the bad rares are stuff like 4/6 flyers.

rCIZZLE

Building a deck on modo is probably the worst decision I've made. MMO levels of time-played lol. Feels good though to be regularly cashing dailies even if I'm yet to get a 4-0 after ~8 tries.

Anybody know if there's a compiled list of the modo handles of pros? I know I played Sam Pardee once but that was the only one I recognized.

Also do the prices of boosters ever go up? I'm not really wanting to sell theros boosters at 2.8 tix lol.

bigkrev

Decisions, Decisions....

Do I go to the Pre-release at Top Deck Games which will be gigantic and filled with lots of players better than me (and have a 1% chance of appearing in Walking the Planes because it's where those guys pre-release, lol), or go to a smaller tournament that I know I can spike and win?

rCIZZLE

Decisions, Decisions....

Do I go to the Pre-release at Top Deck Games which will be gigantic and filled with lots of players better than me (and have a 1% chance of appearing in Walking the Planes because it's where those guys pre-release, lol), or go to a smaller tournament that I know I can spike and win?

Go for the $$$ at pre-release brah. Not really a format you need to care about getting better via better competition.

OnPoint

Decisions, Decisions....

Who doesn't like winning?

f0rk

Going on Saturday and Sunday, not going to 2HG this time as I'm travelling for work on Monday and it seemed pretty dumb last time I played.

Hoping to open 4 city of brass for my block deck. Don't think I need much else.

An-Det

Decisions, Decisions....

It's a prerelease, have fun and spike the smaller one.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Doing THG like always this weekend. The main appeal of Magic for me is playing a fun game with my friends, so I've never really gotten into organized play with strangers. Hence why we all love THG since we get to do a pre-release while hanging out.

bigkrev

I have this feeling Brimaz is one tourny win away from breaking out and getting expensive.

Am I wrong?

No, but you are probably going to wait a long time for that tournament win.

It could end up another Phyrexian Obliterator, a card that stayed expensive the entire time it was in standard even though it was never played, and has surged even more since then since its seeing a small amount of modern play

Angry Grimace

No, but you are probably going to wait a long time for that tournament win.

It could end up another Phyrexian Obliterator, a card that stayed expensive the entire time it was in standard even though it was never played, and has surged even more since then since its seeing a small amount of modern play

Isn't that what's happened to Voice of Resurgence? G/W hasn't really been a Tier 1 thing, but Voice sees some modern play and is quite expensive.

OnPoint

I only have one... think it's worth picking up a couple more?

I did finish my Bayou and Scrubland sets today. Thank you, tax return.

Angry Grimace

Voice saw lots of play before INN/M13 rotated

Sure, but the price hasn't gone down now and its not really in any top tier decks (although it sees play in G/W decks to the extent they are played).

Angry Grimace

Voice is so high because Dragons Maze suuuuuuucked and the full block draft format suuuuuuuuuucked harder.

What are you talking about? Dragon's Maze brought us epic mythics, like Reap Intellect and Maze's End.

ultron87

Triple DGM has so many big butts.

What color(s) is everyone picking this weekend? It sounds like the prevailing wisdom online is white, which is what I usually pick. So I'll probably stick with that first time around and then pick what color seemed fun for the second release based on what I saw in the first.

Angry Grimace

My BUG Superfriends deck isn't what I'd call super good, but holy hell is it fun to rip out practically every Planeswalker.
KuGsj.gif

OnPoint

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";109357879]I did nothing but DGM/DGM/DGM drafts when I got back into Magic after a half-decade hiatus.

I must really like Magic.[/QUOTE]

Ruric Thar Vs Teysa was how my DGMx3 draft ended up.

Fun games, but really swingy with no removal.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
My first instinct is to pick white as well, but remembering BotG prerelease where both losses were to aura stacks on small guys makes that blue promo tempting for the prerelease alone

Pre-registered at my store today, apparently white and green are all taken up so I've chosen blue. Hopefully there will still be good stuff pulled from the blue packs!

Crocodile

Anyone not picking White and who wants to win is a silly goose.

My first instinct is to pick white as well, but remembering BotG prerelease where both losses were to aura stacks on small guys makes that blue promo tempting for the prerelease alone

You may want to reread the promo again. It doesn't bounce X creatures where X = your islands,it only bounces dudes with Toughness < X. If a dude has a bunch of auras on it, it will likely be too big to be bounced by the Kraken.

Top Bottom