• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

ultron87

Oops, I actually looked at what Brain Maggot's art was instead of glancing over it like do with most cards. *shudders all over*

Back to the silly birds carrying swords.

Random thing from the FAQ I hadn't originally realized, Crystalline Nautilus has the sacrifice when targetted clause even if it is an Aura even though it also gives it to the creature. So you can get rid of it before it even becomes a creature if you have the right effect.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
So on MTGO, if I have two Reapers of the Wild (When another creature dies, Scry 1) on the battlefield, and I use Bile Blight on the Elementals my opponent has been putting out with four Young Pyromancers, is there some kind of way to make it so I don't have to manually Scry 1 15 times?

kirblar

So on MTGO, if I have two Reapers of the Wild (When another creature dies, Scry 1) on the battlefield, and I use Bile Blight on the Elementals my opponent has been putting out with four Young Pyromancers, is there some kind of way to make it so I don't have to manually Scry 1 15 times?
Nope. Enjoy the modern comforts of MTGO's top-notch interface.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Nope. Enjoy the modern comforts of MTGO's top-notch interface.

Yeah, the last dude I was played ragequit because it took forever and it happened twice. The annoying part was that I actually had to scry because I was digging for more bile blights, which made it even slower.

Then the next guy ragequit the second I stole his Blood Baron with Ashiok.

Wichu

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";109357879]I did nothing but DGM/DGM/DGM drafts when I got back into Magic after a half-decade hiatus.

I must really like Magic.[/QUOTE]

I got a really cheap DGM fat pack, so I did a draft with two friends.

Turns out first-picking Gates from every pack and then cleaning up the Gatekeepers as they come past makes a ridiculous deck. I don't think I lost a single game that evening. VALUE FOR MILES

I couldn't think of many situations where I would go with Mogis over Purphorus. Even Underworld Cerberus gets better with a Purphorus in play.

I like how Mogis could act as removal. And Underworld Cerberus + Purphoros would be really godly if it returned them to the battlefield instead of just to the hand.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Anyone not picking White and who wants to win is a silly goose.

You may want to reread the promo again. It doesn't bounce X creatures where X = your islands,it only bounces dudes with Toughness < X. If a dude has a bunch of auras on it, it will likely be too big to be bounced by the Kraken.
Fuck. White or Green it is

Karakand

Yeah, the last dude I was played ragequit because it took forever and it happened twice. The annoying part was that I actually had to scry because I was digging for more bile blights, which made it even slower.

Then the next guy ragequit the second I stole his Blood Baron with Ashiok.

you're alright, ag

you're alright

You know what really makes people angry? Esper Control running an Ashiok that steals and plays a Worldspine Worm. No one walks away from that board state without swearing.

Angry Grimace

Ashiok is a weird card. He (she?) is pretty high variance in terms of whether you actually get a Blood Baron or just an Elvish Mystic or nothing, but you can count on it drawing an inordinate amount of attention for whatever its doing, even if its actually nothing.

It's my most read card by opponents in Standard. I have that card picked up and stared at almost every game she's in play. I think most people are worried that the ult is going to do something bad and have to keep reminding themselves that I'm likely to never touch that loyalty power.

Angry Grimace

It's my most read card by opponents in Standard. I have that card picked up and stared at almost every game she's in play. I think most people are worried that the ult is going to do something bad and have to keep reminding themselves that I'm likely to never touch that loyalty power.

I don't even get why that is. The ultimate doesn't even really do anything. Its only there if you're playing a control deck. The -X is the actual ability. I think people are just worried that it theoretically is going to steal their Stormbreath Dragon or Blood Baron, even if that's not statistically likely.

bigkrev

After looking at the spoiler, and understanding how the allocation works (2 Theros, 1 BnG, 2 JNX and 1 Seeded JNX pack), I'm thinking that Black is the best color (as it was in Theros), though White is fairly close behind it. Red just seems unplayable.

I also put my money where my mouth is and bought a playset of Phareka this morning for about 25 bucks. Frank Karsten wrote an article about her in G/B dredge last night, and I kind of like the idea of turn 1 Elf, turn 2 Phareka, turn 3 Jared, attack with Phareka.

The Technomancer

My playgroup is playing with heavily proxied Modern decks lately, so I'm building Melira Pod, and looking over some of the lists is there a reason they don't make use of Sun Titan? He seems like a perfect fit and gives you something to fetch off of eating a Revilark

OnPoint

After looking at the spoiler, and understanding how the allocation works (2 Theros, 1 BnG, 2 JNX and 1 Seeded JNX pack), I'm thinking that Black is the best color (as it was in Theros), though White is fairly close behind it. Red just seems unplayable.

I also put my money where my mouth is and bought a playset of Phareka this morning for about 25 bucks. Frank Karsten wrote an article about her in G/B dredge last night, and I kind of like the idea of turn 1 Elf, turn 2 Phareka, turn 3 Jared, attack with Phareka.
You'd have to dodge all removal. I mean it's possible but by turn 3 how many decks can't kill am Elf?

bigkrev

You'd have to dodge all removal. I mean it's possible but by turn 3 how many decks can't kill am Elf?

Esper/ UW has only it's maindeck 1-2 of Last Breaths to kill it? Does Mono U have any way to kill an Elf?
And hey, if Mono black wants to use one if its 2-3 mana spells to kill my 1 drop, I take that trade every time

OnPoint

Esper/ UW has only it's maindeck 1-2 of Last Breaths to kill it? Does Mono U have any way to kill an Elf?
And hey, if Mono black wants to use one if its 2-3 mana spells to kill my 1 drop, I take that trade every time
Rapid Hybrid. And with them can't they lock the god down with Tidebinder?

bigkrev

Rapid Hybrid. And with them can't they lock the god down with Tidebinder?

Well, sure. But if my opponent wants to give me a turn 2 3/3 instead of a 1/1 and i'm a beatdown deck, than who am I to argue?

And yeah, they can lock it down, which means you still have all the removal in your deck as well as a Jared in play, ready for your follow up Grizly salvage or something

OnPoint

Well, sure. But if my opponent wants to give me a turn 2 3/3 instead of a 1/1 and i'm a beatdown deck, than who am I to argue?

And yeah, they can lock it down, which means you still have all the removal in your deck as well as a Jared in play, ready for your follow up Grizly salvage or something
They probably kill the elf as you swing with The God to turn it off during combat so you waste a turn. And honestly they probably kill Jarad at that point. It's an instant, so there's no reason to give you tempo by playing it main phase.

Wynnebeck

Banned
So I'm guessing if you really want to be a try-hard and win tonight, you have to pick White or Green? That works for me as I was going to pick either White or Black and try to build a weenie deck with an Athreos if I got one.

bigkrev

So I'm guessing if you really want to be a try-hard and win tonight, you have to pick White or Green? That works for me as I was going to pick either White or Black and try to build a weenie deck with an Athreos if I got one.

As long as your not red, you should be fine. Black has the best rares in the seeded pack (they are ALL playable), White gets the best promo, Green has the most playable common and uncommons

The Technomancer

Anyway I found a good looking Melira pod deck online, made a few changes, stuck in some things for Deathrite Shaman and we'll see how it performs tonight.

4 Birthing Pod

4 Birds of Paradise
1 Eternal Witness
4 Kitchen Finks
3 Melira, Sylvok Outcast
2 Murderous Redcap
1 Orzhov Pontiff
1 Phyrexian Metamorph
1 Ranger of Eos
1 Reveillark
1 Sigarda, Host of Herons
1 Spellskite
1 Sun Titan
1 Viscera Seer
2 Voice of Resurgence
1 Wall of Roots
2 Archetype of Courage

3 Chord of Calling
1 Whip of Erebos
2 Thoughtseize

3 Forest
3 Gavony Township
1 Godless Shrine
4 Misty Rainforest
2 Overgrown Tomb
3 Razorverge Thicket
1 Swamp
1 Temple Garden
4 Verdant Catacombs
1 Woodland Cemetery

Wynnebeck

Banned
As long as your not red, you should be fine. Black has the best rares in the seeded pack (they are ALL playable), White gets the best promo, Green has the most playable common and uncommons

FFFFF- so many choices. I guess going W/B it is and hope I get some decent stuff in the seeded pack.

OnPoint

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";109478452]Slippery Mystic
U/G
Elf Bogle(Mythic Rare)
Hexproof
T: Add G to your Mana Pool
0/1[/QUOTE]
Tourny staple.

Angry Grimace

I just can't see Dredge ever being a thing in Standard when so many colors can hose it so effectively. Green can drop a Scavenging Ooze, White can play Rest in Peace and even Black now has Agent of Erebos/Deathrite Shaman. The fact that nobody boards against dredge right now is due to the fact its not a "Tier 1" deck.

I guess I just think Pharika is going to be better as something to enable Constellation triggers rather than Dredge.

f0rk

Anyway I found a good looking Melira pod deck online, made a few changes, stuck in some things for Deathrite Shaman and we'll see how it performs tonight.

4 Birthing Pod

4 Birds of Paradise
1 Eternal Witness
4 Kitchen Finks
3 Melira, Sylvok Outcast
2 Murderous Redcap
1 Orzhov Pontiff
1 Phyrexian Metamorph
1 Ranger of Eos
1 Reveillark
1 Sigarda, Host of Herons
1 Spellskite
1 Sun Titan
1 Viscera Seer
2 Voice of Resurgence
1 Wall of Roots
2 Archetype of Courage

3 Chord of Calling
1 Whip of Erebos
2 Thoughtseize

3 Forest
3 Gavony Township
1 Godless Shrine
4 Misty Rainforest
2 Overgrown Tomb
3 Razorverge Thicket
1 Swamp
1 Temple Garden
4 Verdant Catacombs
1 Woodland Cemetery

You only need 1 Melira and the Theros cards you've added are bad. Look at decklists from the Richmond top 8.

The Technomancer

Also I know Hydras are Greens "Iconic Creature" now and I know Greek mythology set makes total sense for Hydras but....goddamn there have been a lot of Hydras this block

bigkrev

I just can't see Dredge ever being a thing in Standard when so many colors can hose it so effectively. Green can drop a Scavenging Ooze, White can play Rest in Peace and even Black now has Agent of Erebos/Deathrite Shaman. The fact that nobody boards against dredge right now is due to the fact its not a "Tier 1" deck.

I guess I just think Pharika is going to be better as something to enable Constellation triggers rather than Dredge.

Well, all of those sideboard cards die to our sideboard Abrupt Decays?

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
So, Aaron Forsythe pretty much confirmed that Fetchlands aren't coming in M15 or the 2014 Fall block.

Aaron Forsythe said:
"...they did take off, kind of, out of the blue. It felt like, pretty recently. Obviously, our turnaround time on doing anything is not instantaneous. So, any plans that we have to put more fetch lands out there will take some time to execute on. But, we're definitely aware of what cards people need to build decks to play modern, and the cards they're after. So, we're going to do what we can."

http://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/23yk7i/interview_with_aaron_forsythe_no_fetchlands_until/

bigkrev

Also I know Hydras are Greens "Iconic Creature" now and I know Greek mythology set makes total sense for Hydras but....goddamn there have been a lot of Hydras this block

They finally got a tournament playable one (Mistcutter), though I'm sure they though Kalonia was pushed like Baneslayer and Hellkite were. Can't wait to see the Blue card in that cycle

Angry Grimace

Well, all of those sideboard cards die to our sideboard Abrupt Decays?

But "Dies to Removal" doesn't work on Rest in Peace and Agent of Erebos because exiling the entire graveyard is an ETB effect.

Scooze does die to AD, but he costs a very small amount of mana and can rip through a significant portion of your GY before he goes out since his exile isn't a tap ability.

So, Aaron Forsythe pretty much confirmed that Fetchlands aren't coming in M15 or the 2014 Fall block.

http://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/23yk7i/interview_with_aaron_forsythe_no_fetchlands_until/

If the rumors of going back to Zendikar in the 2015 block are true, I'd be completely shocked to not see all of them there.

f0rk

Archangel is only really good when you have Spike Feeder as well.
I'd also say Linvala is a more relevant angel than Sigarda and Shrekmaw is a really good 1 of as well. Abrupt Decay is better main deck than Thoughtseize.

I'd say cut the Whip or Sun Titan as you only have so many flex spots.

kirblar

I would not rule out the Fall block, especially if there are two large sets planned for it.

They've known they needed a reprint of all 10 for at least 2 years- the crazy spikes are recent.

Angry Grimace

Man, burn decks are gonna get so hosed by the Magic Sheep.

bigkrev

I would not rule out the Fall block, especially if there are two large sets planned for it.

They've known they needed a reprint of all 10 for at least 2 years- the crazy spikes are recent.

Scalding Tarn was a 15ish dollar card when the Shocklands were reprinted in RTR http://blacklotusproject.com/cards/Zendikar/Scalding+Tarn/ , which I'm sure they thought was a reasonable price- back then, it was the Shocks that were all super expensive.

OnPoint

Scalding Tarn was a 15ish dollar card when the Shocklands were reprinted in RTR http://blacklotusproject.com/cards/Zendikar/Scalding+Tarn/ , which I'm sure they thought was a reasonable price- back then, it was the Shocks that were all super expensive.
Proof that reprints bring the costs down now that the prices have been essentially juxtaposed.

They need to reprint them if modern is to flourish, otherwise it's just Legacy lite price wise.

Angry Grimace

On a scale of 1-10, how much would a Force of Will reprint break Standard, and how much would it break Modern?

Do they though? Does modern need 5 more fetches?

I just don't see them printing non-full sets of any kind of dual land.

Angry Grimace

10, 10.

Think of what happens if Mono-U D has Force, or if control decks do.

Yes, it really does screw with the manabases.

I would think at least in Standard it would really depend on the level of card draw available. There isn't exactly a lot of things in standard that actually need to be countered on the first turn.

kirblar

I would think at least in Standard it would really depend on the level of card draw available. There isn't exactly a lot of things in standard that actually need to be countered on the first turn.
That's not what it does in a non-combo environement. It makes card draw much stronger because cards become mana.

Pitch cards can be fine, but that's not an effect you want on one in standard.

Angry Grimace

That's not what it does in a non-combo environement. It makes card draw much stronger because cards become mana.

Pitch cards can be fine, but that's not an effect you want on one in standard.

I don't know why, but I was just thinking about the card. I don't really like the idea of the card in general because it doesn't seem like a "fun" card to play against since there's almost literally no point at which you can be guaranteed to resolve a spell.

kirblar

I don't know why, but I was just thinking about the card. I don't really like the idea of the card in general because it doesn't seem like a "fun" card to play against since there's almost literally no point at which you can be guaranteed to resolve a spell.
dingdingdingdingding

It's also why I really hate Psychic Strike- cheap (<4/5cc) C-Spells should always have XUU.

Top Bottom