• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

Yeef

Not for Daze it isn't. It seems to be hit or miss.
It only lists relevant formats where the card was printed. Daze was never printed in a Modern-legal set, so it's excluded. Exclusion is different from being banned or restricted. If a card is excluded in a format, it just won't show up at all.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
It only lists relevant formats where the card was printed. Daze was never printed in a Modern-legal set, so it's excluded. Exclusion is different from being banned or restricted. If a card is excluded in a format, it just won't show up at all.

Right. That's my point. Once you know that, it becomes obvious, but it still seems like hey, maybe they want to have the big formats listed. Legacy, Vintage (lol), Modern, Standard on all cards. A simple "invalid" would be super for folks who don't know when say, Nemesis was printed.

Fuzzery

Went 3 0 then split the last match at a prerelease today.

Pretty fun, played black, got whip of erebos and dictate of erebos both, but never drew them or really played them in a game. Didn't cast the black promo once.

Thankfully my white was good, and won off soldier of the pantheon + 2 wingsteed and 2 cranes instead lol

Did lose gunslinging against a pro. I really underestimated the damn starfish.

Karakand

Right. That's my point. Once you know that, it becomes obvious, but it still seems like hey, maybe they want to have the big formats listed. Legacy, Vintage (lol), Modern, Standard on all cards. A simple "invalid" would be super for folks who don't know when say, Nemesis was printed.

There's the card face...

Karakand

But if you go to its only actual base set / expansion printing in Gatherer it's the old cardface and its Modern legality is axiomatic... are you really confused by a Duel Decks reprint?

Wizzos should update Gatherer for every card's Modern legality--they've done monumental wastes of time like the great creature type errata--but there is a pretty stark visual cue as to whether or not a card is Modern legal.

rCIZZLE

Prob heading out to a prerelease later today. Being sick yesterday kind of sucked but the turnout was supposedly bad for that LGS. Thinking of going black this time since the pool isn't really dependent on heroic creatures and triggers like white but still has a ton of great playables over the block.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Went black on Friday night and ran Rakdos. Got shit for good cards, but Doomwake Giant did good work in Limited by killing off small 1 toughness guys. Also, Twinflame with Gray Merchants on the field is disgusting. White is just ridiculous though. Godsend almost made me flip a table Francis style. Broken ass card.

WanderingWind

But if you go to its only actual base set / expansion printing in Gatherer it's the old cardface and its Modern legality is axiomatic... are you really confused by a Duel Decks reprint?

Wizzos should update Gatherer for every card's Modern legality--they've done monumental wastes of time like the great creature type errata--but there is a pretty stark visual cue as to whether or not a card is Modern legal.

Well, yes, I was. Unless you know this beforehand and/or know when sets were released in relation to the modern cutoff point, it's not readily apparent. It's a lack of info that gives you the hint, and unless you know beforehand what that missing info signifies, it's not really useful. It's the exact opposite of a stark visual clue.

It's not that big of a deal, but considering Gatherer is the official spot to look up cards, it's odd that it's lacking a function that most of the rest of similar sites (like MagicCards.info) has.

Also, Twinflame with Gray Merchants on the field is disgusting. White is just ridiculous though.

Oh, that is good tech. Mono-white is going to be a thing for sure, with Brimaz and Deicide.

MjFrancis

I want to a prerelease Saturday and went 2-2. Scryfish held it's own last night. Pulled an Athreos and a Thoughtseize. Traded the Athreos for a Mana Confluence straight across. No regrets there, I think time will vindicate my decision for me.

"Breigo, King of Eternity

Legendary Creature - Spirit, 2WU, 2/4

Flying

When ~ deals combat damage to a player, exile any number of target nonland permanents you control, then return those cards to the battlefield under their owner’s control."

AND...

Wrath of God, appearing in From the Vault: Annihilation.

The artwork features Heliod. :rolleyes:

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
This alternate art Duress is pretty cool.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Duress-Alte...The-Gathering-MTG-Black-Sorcery-/400699543967

Ashiok putting the hurt on Dack.

I do find it interesting that Dack was running around Theros during this block but he wasn't actually in the set. And Ashiok while there was doing what, exactly? Helping Xenagos become a God? I didn't really follow the story that closely.

Ashiok was just there chilling and investigating dreams I think, same as Kiora was just looking for giant sea monsters

y2dvd

I want to a prerelease Saturday and went 2-2. Scryfish held it's own last night. Pulled an Athreos and a Thoughtseize. Traded the Athreos for a Mana Confluence straight across. No regrets there, I think time will vindicate my decision for me.

I think lands are always a safe bet.

Gonna try my first prerelease today. Sounds like white is the strongest?

I'm going to booster draft with a bunch of friends in a few weeks and I need some help. I've been clean of my mtg addiction since zendikar and am looking for some suggestions on what to draft with. I'm looking to buy 2 boxes of anything that would be the most fun to draft. I don't mind if it's a few blocks back but we want something new since we last played. The two boxes could be the same or we could go with two separate sets.

WanderingWind

Wasn't Elspeth dying just a rumor? She seems like she killed Xenagod and rode off into the sunset with AJ. Deicide makes it pretty clear that she was the last one standing.

kirblar

Wasn't Elspeth dying just a rumor? She seems like she killed Xenagod and rode off into the sunset with AJ. Deicide makes it pretty clear that she was the last one standing.
There's ambiguity right now, but the implication from the JIN trailer seemed to be that she's toast.]

Hero dying at the end is very Greek.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

Elspeth is way too popular to die, really.

I'd argue Lili (thanks to her one all-star card) has an extremely strong fanbase and perhaps more than Elspeth.
I don't know how we'd gauge those analytics.

The Adder

Banned
Man, I really love what Athreos does to the game in terms of making your opponent think and I can't wait to try it plus a Dictate of Erebos.

f0rk

Man, I really love what Athreos does to the game in terms of making your opponent think and I can't wait to try it plus a Dictate of Erebos.

What else do you play with it? I don't think the on curve creatures in standard right now generate value in the right ways for this kind of plan to be that powerful.

The Adder

Banned
What else do you play with it? I don't think the on curve creatures in standard right now generate value in the right ways for this kind of plan to be that powerful.

Athreos alone is fine in sealed, and I'm guessing the same will hold true in draft. I haven't played him in standard yet as I don't have the cards I want to build the deck I want around him.

Karakand

Well, yes, I was. Unless you know this beforehand and/or know when sets were released in relation to the modern cutoff point, it's not readily apparent. It's a lack of info that gives you the hint, and unless you know beforehand what that missing info signifies, it's not really useful. It's the exact opposite of a stark visual clue.

It's not that big of a deal, but considering Gatherer is the official spot to look up cards, it's odd that it's lacking a function that most of the rest of similar sites (like MagicCards.info) has.

If your level of game familiarity is such that you can't tell the difference between promotional sets and mainline sets then I see your point.

I wonder if they'll rethink their Duel Deck / From the Vault policies as Modern gets more popular (and the knowledge level of its players becomes more variant). It's kinda dumb that cards like Chain Lightning show up in Duel Decks when they'll never see an advanced / expert level, non-promotional set reprint.

On an odd note Daze's Modern legality isn't listed on its MagicCards.info page. Kinda disappointed in the superior card database rn, tbh.

f0rk

oh I thought you were talking about Standard already. To be honest getting to play with just Athreos in limited more than once is a stretch, let alone that plus another rare

The Adder

Banned
oh I thought you were talking about Standard already. To be honest getting to play with just Athreos in limited more than once is a stretch, let alone that plus another rare

I was doing both, sorry for the confusion.

Man, I really love what Athreos does to the game in terms of making your opponent think [having experienced this in sealed]

And I can't wait to try it plus a Dictate of Erebos [in a standard deck]

MjFrancis

I like how a Cartel Aristocrat in play can save your playset of Atheros from Deicide. Sure, Atheros still goes into the graveyard and his ability doesn't trigger, but at least your whole arsenal of Athreos' don't get exlied.

And playing with him in sealed was fun. Unfortunately his ability was frequently nullified with the sheer amount of exile cards thrown my direction. He got hit with Deicide, Banishing Light and even Hour of Need. I guess a 4/4 Flying is easier to deal with than a God that pings you for three or brings a creature back to hand. Actually that play was pretty cool because my opponent exiled Athreos and one of his own creatures with Hour of Need's Strive ability. Nifty little trick.

Firemind

I suspect Athreos will give MBC fits in an aggro shell.

I'm leaning on heavy black splash white, but the other way around could work too with so many cheap weenies available in both colours.

I saw a cute deck posted somewhere... non-competitive of course.

Athreos
Xathrid Necromancer
A buch of Shadowborn Apostles
some mean Demons to fetch

I'm sure you can tell what it does..

ultron87

Elspeth is way too popular to die, really.

I dunno, the two arts for Hall of Triumph (regular and game day promo) look pretty memorial-ey.

7WAfbqMBlt_EN.jpg

I'm going to booster draft with a bunch of friends in a few weeks and I need some help. I've been clean of my mtg addiction since zendikar and am looking for some suggestions on what to draft with. I'm looking to buy 2 boxes of anything that would be the most fun to draft. I don't mind if it's a few blocks back but we want something new since we last played. The two boxes could be the same or we could go with two separate sets.

Innistrad or Rise of Eldrazi are the most fun. RoE is almost certainly ridiculously expensive, but I bought multiple boxes of Innistrad last year for $130. That may no longer be the price, of course.

Failing that, Theros is supposed to be pretty decent and is the cheapest buy.

OnPoint

Innistrad or Rise of Eldrazi are the most fun. RoE is almost certainly ridiculously expensive, but I bought multiple boxes of Innistrad last year for $130. That may no longer be the price, of course.

Failing that, Theros is supposed to be pretty decent and is the cheapest buy.

Those boxes are almost certainly more expensive than that.

rCIZZLE

Went Black for the prerelease today but ended up not even playing it after opening Spear of Heliod, Hydra Broodmaster, and Dawnbringer Charioteers as well as a lot of other great playables in those colors. Went 3-1-1 (split in finals with friend who was only undefeated) with my only loss coming to Atheros and Brimaz deck. Hoping they go back to regular sealed with just 6 packs in the future since seeded packs have a little too much potential to be broken.

Those boxes are almost certainly more expensive than that.

They're surprisingly pretty low EV even with a 70 dollar walker. My LGS bought a couple for ~150 recently and held $15 drafts with the extra packs as prize support. Only one Snapcaster was pulled. Obviously we were unlucky but I wouldn't even buy boxes at $100 if my only intent was cracking them.

bigkrev

So, someone at my LGS got an all-god pack... as a prize pack. I guess this means that it wasn't just a pre-release thing, and everyone will have a shot at an all-god pack (maybe like Zendikar treasures?)

So, someone at my LGS got an all-god pack... as a prize pack. I guess this means that it wasn't just a pre-release thing, and everyone will have a shot at an all-god pack (maybe like Zendikar treasures?)

The question is, if you crack one in a draft, which god is your first pick?

Top Bottom