• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

Karakand

Do they though? Does modern need 5 more fetches?

Introducing the other 5 won't lower the cost of entry (in the long run), but it will open up new avenues for deck building.

Standard however never needs fetchlands again. Absolutely abysmal format for those cards.

I don't know why, but I was just thinking about the card. I don't really like the idea of the card in general because it doesn't seem like a "fun" card to play against since there's almost literally no point at which you can be guaranteed to resolve a spell.

Most control players aren't that great, they just play the odds with their deck. Force is the embodiment of this, and there's few things in the game more satisfying than baiting a control player into playing incorrectly. Like the King of Beatdown used to say, there are no wrong threats--only wrong answers.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Introducing the other 5 won't lower the cost of entry (in the long run), but it will open up new avenues for deck building.

Standard however never needs fetchlands again. Absolutely abysmal format for those cards.

Most control players aren't that great, they just play the odds with their deck. Force is the embodiment of this, and there's few things in the game more satisfying than baiting a control player into playing incorrectly. Like the King of Beatdown used to say, there are no wrong threats--only wrong answers.

Yeah, but you can't put the the allied fetchlands in modern without putting them in standard, unless you make some weird rule, right?

My playgroup is playing with heavily proxied Modern decks lately, so I'm building Melira Pod, and looking over some of the lists is there a reason they don't make use of Sun Titan? He seems like a perfect fit and gives you something to fetch off of eating a Revilark

I have Melira Pod pieces I'd trade if anyone is interested.

OnPoint

Yeah, but you can't put the the allied fetchlands in modern without putting them in standard, unless you make some weird rule, right?

They've definitely said at some point that they don't want to print land cycles that don't include all the 2-part combinations, so they won't eschew printing the ONS lands. They'll probably just make them modern legal.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
They've definitely said at some point that they don't want to print land cycles that don't include all the 2-part combinations, so they won't eschew printing the ONS lands. They'll probably just make them modern legal.

Why would they not put them in Standard, though? I'm not following what's so broken about fetch lands in a format that doesn't have other typed duals.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Why would they not put them in Standard, though? I'm not following what's so broken about fetch lands in a format that doesn't have other typed duals.

work.7416792.1.sticker,375x360.everyday-im-shufflin-sticker-rainbow-v1.png

Wizards doesn't like newcomers shuffling decks.

kirblar

They'll move a billion boxes by reprinting them in standard, 2 billion if they're over two different sets (most likely.) They're not going to throw away money.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
They'll move a billion boxes by reprinting them in standard, 2 billion if they're over two different sets (most likely.) They're not going to throw away money.

I agree. That's just the most common argument for why they'll put them in a supplementary, modern legal set, rather than standard.

Karakand

They can do whatever they want, there are no promissory estoppel issues wrt Modern set legality AFAIK. But yes, the set must have been post-Scourge Standard legal atm.

work.7416792.1.sticker,375x360.everyday-im-shufflin-sticker-rainbow-v1.png

Wizards doesn't like newcomers shuffling decks.

That in conjunction with

1. Standard is generally underpowered and virtually every deck will use them as a result (i.e. hella shuffling).

2. R&D designs to encourage multicolor decks and virtually every deck will use them as a result. (i.e. hella shuffling)

Now if they printed some slick nonbasic land hate in conjunction with a fetchland reprint, that'd be interesting but it's unlikely since attacking manabases is anti-fun or some shit.

MjFrancis

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";109515784]I looooooooove Psychic Strike. Splashable hard counters awwww yeah.[/QUOTE]I could still only find one in a Top 8 deck since Theros dropped. Maindeck or sideboard. Monoblack featuring Ashiok is easier to find than Psychic Strike in the Top 8.

bigkrev

Speaking of, Wasteland is now a $100 card? For the love of Marit Lage, reprint some fucking uncommons.

It was higher than that a a year ago IIRC

For anyone but the legacy player (EDH or Casual) Strip Mine has been reprinted a ton of times and is pretty cheap, and strictly better than Wasteland

OnPoint

It was higher than that a a year ago IIRC

For anyone but the legacy player (EDH or Casual) Strip Mine has been reprinted a ton of times and is pretty cheap, and strictly better than Wasteland
It was? I don't remember that, but man, the prices are ridiculous.
i feel like I've been disagreeing with you a lot and I swear I don't mean to lol

Karakand

A card that's a 1x in any format it's legal in and brutal to play 4x of if your kitchen table resembles a WWE Extreme Match isn't really a practical card.

Strip Mine is a great card doe.

Angry Grimace

I guess from my out-of-it noob perspective, I don't see why there ever has to be a billion different dual land types. The shocklands seem like a good compromise between straight duals and having some kind of gameplay value. I'm not really sure why they aren't just perpetually in the core set.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I guess from my out-of-it noob perspective, I don't see why there ever has to be a billion different dual land types. The shocklands seem like a good compromise between straight duals and having some kind of gameplay value. I'm not really sure why they aren't just perpetually in the core set.

The game exists because it's kept fresh, both in flavor and gameplay mechanics. You don't stick around for 20 years as a TCG by doing the same exact thing every year.

Karakand

It's pretty boring to have a cycle of multicolor lands with the same mechanic in every block, too. The Scry lands in Theros are an almost absurd parody.

Expansions are a great place to do cards like Nykthos (or its design predecessor, Cabal Coffers), not try and fulfill the role that core sets used to fulfill before they decided that core sets should sell expansions instead of being a pool for staples.

Angry Grimace

I guess the maximum creature size on MTGO must be 1000/1000 because some guy managed to get 4 Corpsejack Menaces out with his Kalonian Hydra and I died with negative 978 life.

I actually don't know how much I really lost by though because the math involved in a 64/64 Kalonian Hydra with 4 Corpsejacks is too complicated for me to understand.

(Also, I had a Courser out and my next card was a Hero's Downfall. I had Kiora's emblem active as well.)

rCIZZLE

Just got back from my midnight prerelease. 4-1 which ended up being 6th out of ~50. (they stopped it a round short due to people wanting to leave)

Went white but got a pretty crappy white pool with no playable heroic activators. Green was only good because of getting 2 of the 4CC 7/7s with monstrous. Moneywise only got a Nykthos from my pool and two of the new temples from prize packs. I'll probably end up going to another prerelease today at my other LGS and assuming they have any left from last night I'll give white another try.

Also just back from a prerelease, did terribly, went 2-2 and ended up 11th of 28. I also went white and lucked out with a Godsend, which actually won every game it was played in. Unfortunately, my 3 non-white scryland rares and nearly unplayable uncommons meant that it was an uphill struggle in every game.

I guess the maximum creature size on MTGO must be 1000/1000 because some guy managed to get 4 Corpsejack Menaces out with his Kalonian Hydra and I died with negative 978 life.

I actually don't know how much I really lost by though because the math involved in a 64/64 Kalonian Hydra with 4 Corpsejacks is too complicated for me to understand.

(Also, I had a Courser out and my next card was a Hero's Downfall. I had Kiora's emblem active as well.)

Corpsejack + Kalonian Hydra was a deck that I wanted to build. The Hydra's price of about $25 or so at the time kept me from doing it.

I'm thinking about which direction to take my UWR deck.

UWR Midrange
UWR Control
UWR Twin

Any suggestions? I was thinking UWR Twin for some fun but it seems like it would get a little boring maybe? Always trying to search out the combo for the win con.
Midrange is fun for the beat down. Control is fun because draw-go and playing cards on your opponents turn.

WanderingWind

I'm thinking about which direction to take my UWR deck.

UWR Midrange
UWR Control
UWR Twin

Any suggestions? I was thinking UWR Twin for some fun but it seems like it would get a little boring maybe? Always trying to search out the combo for the win con.
Midrange is fun for the beat down. Control is fun because draw-go and playing cards on your opponents turn.

I saw a sweet Twin deck that transformed into more of a Control deck. It was on a stream or I'd post the decklist.

I know this is like, the least helpful post in the history of posts.

I saw a sweet Twin deck that transformed into more of a Control deck. It was on a stream or I'd post the decklist.

I know this is like, the least helpful post in the history of posts.

Here is the decklist I'm looking at right now:

3 Arid Mesa
4 Celestial Colonnade
1 Clifftop Retreat
1 Hallowed Fountain
2 Island
2 Mountain
1 Plains
1 Sacred Foundry
4 Scalding Tarn
2 Steam Vents
2 Sulfur Falls

4 Lightning Bolt
4 Path to Exile
4 Serum Visions
3 Lightning Helix
2 Mana Leak
3 Remand

3 Snapcaster Mage
4 Deceiver Exarch
1 Pestermite
3 Restoration Angel
4 Splinter Twin
2 Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker

I don't remember where I got it, or if it won a tournament or not.

WanderingWind

I want that list. I would change out the Pestermite for a Daze and maybe one more Daze instead of one of the Remands, but that is sexy.

Lucario

I hope conspiracies (and cards like Clockwork Librarian) don't change up the drafting process too much. I guess we'll see, though.

Conspiracy comes out on June 6th. D-Day, baby.

Oh, and how do you guys like Telling Time? Instant speed, play at end of opponents turn, draw a card and set up the draw for your turn... push non-combo pieces (or whatever) down to the bottom

mf59_j7d5lru964fg6pja.jpg

I'd rather have Ponder honestly. Or Augur of Bolas.

Maybe Impulse is reprintable?

I'm looking at Modern legal cards, but I suppose it doesn't really matter since I don't go to tournaments (and Modern isn't played at FNM locally)

Ponder and Daze (mentioned earlier) are not legal in Modern.

And speaking of these cards, this was just put up:

http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/ld/296

Why no serum visions/other 1 cmc cantrip.

In terms of the 1-CMC U cantrip, we didn't want to create a new one (as that could cause problems in Modern), but also felt like we didn't need one for Standard—so we left it out.

I only have a single Serum Visions and am hesitant to buy the others at five bucks each. But I do have three Telling Times. lol

WanderingWind

Fucking useless Gatherer. Why would it not list Modern under legality listing? A simple "Invalid" would be nice for those of us without a encyclopedic knowledge of when sets were released.

f0rk

Went 4-2 at the prerelease which is probably what my deck was worth. Had 1 awful mull decision (really didn't need to) and 1 game against mono 1/1 deathtouch where a second plains would have probably meant an easy win.

Highlights were drawing about 10 cards off of Master of the Feast using the tap dog in 1 game, and having an opponent ramp into Bearer of the Heavens when I have a 2/4 flyer in play + Reprisal and Gift of Immortality in hand.

bigkrev

Fucking useless Gatherer. Why would it not list Modern under legality listing? A simple "Invalid" would be nice for those of us without a encyclopedic knowledge of when sets were released.

? Totally listed on each cards page

I went 3-1 in my pre-release, and the one loss involved a game where I kept a Hand of

Vaporkin
Lash of the Whip
Nyx Infusion
Pin to Earth
Island
Island
Swamp

... and never draw another spell before the game ends on Turn 10 (not an exaggeration)

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Fucking goddamn easily one of the worst sealed pools I've ever had. Between my partner and I we had 12 packs and we had no synergy. Basically no Heroic presence. Maybe ten enchantment creatures between us, maybe four of which had Bestow. No good Constellation effects, no good Monsters, absolute trash rares, its like we got all of the mediocre cards meant to fill out a more robust Limited deck with none of the actual good stuff. My strategy was basically play fliers and bounce stuff and my partner basically just had to "play the least terrible cards in black and green"

We went 0-2 and dropped out

bigkrev

Stabndout cards:
Whitewater Nyads- this thing is basically a 4/4 unblockable that can also give a second creature unblockable on rare occasions. Super powerful.
Phareka's Chosen- while just a colorshited Scorpion, its better in black as a second small deathtouch guy (Bestow dude from Theros), and goes well holding the fort while you fly over for big damage
Nyx Infusion- if only Vaporkin was an enchantment.... Still goes well on a Nimbus Nyad and is decent enough kill

Trip report for evening Pre-release:
Seeded White Pack: Athreos get.
Nyx Pack: Iroas get.
Born Pack: Kiora get.

Built 2 decks, WR & UG. I went 2-1-1 and got 9th place by being bumped out due to worse tie breakers than the other guy. >.>

Top Bottom