• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";109774591]I just realized that Thassa's Ire completely fucks over AEtherling.[/QUOTE]

Pithing Needle is a lot more fun though.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";109775551]But I play AEtherling.[/QUOTE]

So do I, but its not the only win condition in the deck. I mostly prefer Pithing needle because the only deck I ever run into with AEtherling is U/W/x control and they always run Elspeth.

Angry Grimace

How viable would a B/W enchantment deck be? I'm thinking the coinsmith, banishing light, atheros, new black board wipe.

I think its going to be a thing, especially if you add Sphere of Safety and the Life-gain Ram.

Edit: Double post. Was supposed to be an edit.

My fiancée and I are taking part in a Two Headed Giant sealed JOU tournament on Sunday and it's going to be our first foray into 2HG. Can anyone tell us what to expect from the format, and how it tends to be organised?
The main point of contention is that we're unsure how many packs we'll be given to build from. We did the pre-release at the weekend, and we were wondering if it was going to be 6 packs each again or fewer?

I went 1-5 and she went 0-6 by the way. She did pull Phenax though, which she's running in her newly built standard deck.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
My fiancée and I are taking part in a Two Headed Giant sealed JOU tournament on Sunday and it's going to be our first foray into 2HG. Can anyone tell us what to expect from the format, and how it tends to be organised?
The main point of contention is that we're unsure how many packs we'll be given to build from. We did the pre-release at the weekend, and we were wondering if it was going to be 6 packs each again or fewer?

I went 1-5 and she went 0-6 by the way. She did pull Phenax though, which she's running in her newly built standard deck.

THG at the pre-release was 6 packs each for 12 total, and you were totally allowed to cross the streams and mix cards. Three rounds, one game each.

Angry Grimace

I'm going to run this deck and make everyone hate me:

4 Brain Maggot
4 Nyx-Fleece Ram
4 Underworld Coinsmith
3 Eidolon of Rhetoric
3 Athreos, God of Passage
3 Grim Guardian
3 Archangel of Thune

4 Blind Obedience
4 Sphere of Safety
4 Banishing Light

Lands

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";109883857]Why would you run Athreos over Heliod in that deck.[/QUOTE]

Because Heliod costs two mana more than Athreos and will never become active.

Also, I am so terrible at drafting. Especially drunk.

Yeef

lskdjfh3_1.jpg

I like this guy a lot.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";109898098]One mana more and he's an enchantment that makes enchantments.

Athreos has no synergy in your deck.[/QUOTE]

Heliod costs too much and his activated ability costs mana I'd rather spend on Coinsmith's ability.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Also, I am so terrible at drafting.

I've just resigned myself to the fact that I will always suck at drafting. My brain can't let go of value and desire to fill gaps in my collection and I can't ever seem to pick the right colors. My deck always looks like 5 color spew, or I force a monocolor pile of shit.

Contructed 4 lyfe

I've just resigned myself to the fact that I will always suck at drafting. My brain can't let go of value and desire to fill gaps in my collection and I can't ever seem to pick the right colors. My deck always looks like 5 color spew, or I force a monocolor pile of shit.

Contructed 4 lyfe

I was neck deep into standard through Odyssey when I realized that decks that I wanted to play were too fiddly and cute to be any good. Then I switched to MTGO and started drafting. It took a good 3 or 4 years before I realized I was shit at that too. No matter what format I'm playing (save cube), I end up with a shitty, low-curve tempo-control deck.

EDH forever.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Heh. What really puts it into focus is watching somebody like Kenji stream, where he is really, really good at drafting (he better be, because he's been doing it for hours for every day for more than a year) then seeing somebody who rocks tourneys all the time like MJ. MJ is a great player, obviously, but his drafting isn't his strong point.

You think Magic is Magic....nope. There are levels to this here nerd shit.

Karakand

Contructed 4 lyfe

just draft alara block lol

bigkrev

just draft alara block lol

I think Alara is my least favorite draft format for that exact reason. I always draft towards 2 color strategies, normally forcing U and picking a second color based on how the format looks. Multicolor blocks are the bane of my existance

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";109937215]And that has nothing to do with why you think Athreos is better. It does nothing in your deck, whereas heliod buffs constellation and sphere of safety.[/QUOTE]

Sure he does. For 4 mana a turn.

Firemind

I think Alara is my least favorite draft format for that exact reason. I always draft towards 2 color strategies, normally forcing U and picking a second color based on how the format looks. Multicolor blocks are the bane of my existance

Two colour drafting is legit in triple Shards and Sha-Sha-Con. I won multiple drafts with U/B unearth or artifacts and G/W or U/W exalted. While they struggle with mana, you assassinate them with tempo.

It's slightly more difficult with Alara Reborn, but the two colour hybrid bears are still nutsy.

Sure he does. For 4 mana a turn.
Your deck doesn't have a single four drop and you're running athreos with no one drop creatures. heliod advances your game plan with no additional card investment, I don't see why you're so opposed to this. he buffs sphere and triggers archangel of thune every turn when you have coinsmith out. athreos and eidolon of rhetoric are close to dead cards in your list. if you can't live without athreos you need gnarled scarhide and soldier of the Pantheon since they work well with him and sphere and archangel while filling holes in your curve.

Karakand

Invasion draft was OK, at least I never opened a pack with THREE CLUESTONES in that format.

During Alara I dgaf so I just drafted utter nonsense to see what I could make playable. It's not like I needed rares since I wasn't playing constructed at the time.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";109970713]Your deck doesn't have a single four drop and you're running athreos with no one drop creatures. heliod advances your game plan with no additional card investment, I don't see why you're so opposed to this. he buffs sphere and triggers archangel of thune every turn when you have coinsmith out. athreos and eidolon of rhetoric are close to dead cards in your list. if you can't live without athreos you need gnarled scarhide and soldier of the Pantheon since they work well with him and sphere and archangel while filling holes in your curve.[/QUOTE]

I'm less insistent on Athreos than I am opposed to Heliod.

I'm less insistent on Athreos than I am opposed to Heliod.

It's just weird because he's like the Sphere of Safety god.

The way I see it, he just makes sense.

2 Soldier of the Pantheon
4 Gnarled Scarhide

4 Brain Maggot
4 Nyx-Fleece Ram
4 Underworld Coinsmith
2 Blind Obedience

4 Banishing Light
2 Underworld Connections

2 Heliod, God of the Sun

4 Archangel of Thune
4 Sphere of Safety

4 Godless Shrine
4 Temple of Silence
2 Mutavault
1 Rogue's Passage
7 Swamp
6 Plains

Sideboard:
4 Codex Shredder
4 Pacifism
4 FiendSlayer Paladin
2 Underworld Connections
1 Pithing Needle

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";110006551]...Nyxborn Shieldmate?

Hopeful Eidolon?[/QUOTE]

Yoked Ox. Always Yoked Ox.

bigkrev

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";109898098]One mana more and he's an enchantment that makes enchantments.

Athreos has no synergy in your deck.[/QUOTE]

Actually, Athreos is good in that deck in that it has creatures like Maggot and Ram that you would WANT to rebuy over the course of a long game. Maggot especially is just as good on turn 9 as it is on turn 2

Angry Grimace

http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/arcana/1483

Today on MTGO they are having zero ticket events with full prize support. The catch is that they are going to intentionally cause the game to fuck up, potentially kick you out of games or screw with your timer. I guess you can't argue with free.

This would be the only draft event I'd ever be winning, I imagine :lol I mean, I was home sick and did like three drafts this weekend and pulled Obzedat, Xenagos, Phenax, Champion of Stray Souls and Hyptonia and still lost all of them. I'm just bad, bad, bad.

bigkrev

http://imgur.com/a/n9X5T

Possible leak of FTV (A scan of the insert from the product). The only reason I'm not calling fake is that there is enough new art that looks real enough, and the contents make sense

Armageddon (new art)
Upheaval
Firespout (new art)
Child of Alara
Virtue's Ruin
Rolling Earthquake
Wrath of God (new art)
Smokestack ( new art)
Burning of Xinye
Cataclysm (new art)
Living death (new art)
Decree of Annihilation (new art)
Fracturing gust
Terminus
Martial Coup

Angry Grimace

Possible leak of FTV (A scan of the insert from the product). The only reason I'm not calling fake is that there is enough new art that looks real enough, and the contents make sense

Armageddon (new art)
Upheaval
Firespout (new art)
Child of Alara
Virtue's Ruin
Rolling Earthquake
Wrath of God (new art)
Smokestack ( new art)
Burning of Xinye
Cataclysm (new art)
Living death (new art)
Fracturing gust
Terminus
Martial Coup

No Damnation :negative:

ultron87

Think it's worth it to go to a BTT draft tonight?

If you wanna draft, sure. That said, waiting till the weekend to draft Journey as well would also make sense.

Starcity is in town for me this weekend. Even though it would've been interesting to play in the first tournament of new Standard I didn't wanna get trapped in their scheme of "preorder cards from us and pick them up to play in the Open!" and don't want to just play an old deck, so I'm just going to side draft a ton.

Armageddon (new art)
Upheaval
Firespout (new art)
Child of Alara
Virtue's Ruin
Rolling Earthquake
Wrath of God (new art)
Smokestack ( new art)
Burning of Xinye
Cataclysm (new art)
Living death (new art)
Fracturing gust
Terminus
Martial Coup

Upheaval yesssss

Angry Grimace

I suspect they're open to a standard reprint on it eventually, but MM2 seems like a reasonable expectation.

I still don't quite understand the rationale behind underprinting Modern Masters in the first place.

kirblar

I still don't quite understand the rationale behind underprinting Modern Masters in the first place.
They failed to realize just how large the player base had grown. Aiming low was fine. Aiming that low though? Big problem, and printing Goyf/Confidant at Mythic was a clear mistake.

MjFrancis

I imagine they will have the good sense to reprint Snapcaster at Mythic, too. It will do the exact same thing, too - become more valuable, more coveted, and since you want three more after you crack your first, more expensive.

Probably not for a few years, but it will happen that way.

f0rk

I really doubt they are going to change the rarity of anything. Innistrad onwards doesn't have the same kind of supply problems on rare cards as older sets anyway.

OnPoint

I really wish they found some way to do Enchantment Lands. Like, give them shroud or something so targeted enchantment removal can't get them.

Top Bottom