• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
The sins of Seat of the Synod will prevent that from ever happening.

Indeed.
June
Standard: Skullclamp is banned.

March
Standard: Arcbound Ravager, Disciple of the Vault, Darksteel Citadel, Ancient Den, Great Furnace, Seat of the Synod, Tree of Tales, and Vault of Whispers are banned.

Haly

Lol, just the thought of Enchantress with Enchantment lands...

You know what, you're right. This is a great idea and it's a shame Wizard didn't capitalize on the opportunity to break the shit out of Enchantress.

Karakand

I still don't quite understand the rationale behind underprinting Modern Masters in the first place.

A "bad" thing happened 20 years ago. (Chronicles)

My question is, would it have been underprinted if it wasn't designed as a draft set? I don't really know how popular MM draft was other than everyone always raves about it on the internet.

Lol, just the thought of Enchantress with Enchantment lands...

You know what, you're right. This is a great idea and it's a shame Wizard didn't capitalize on the opportunity to break the shit out of Enchantress.

I'm glad you saw reason, Haly. Can we sneak you into R&D? We can make City of Solitude a $100 card if we stay focused.
Lands aren't cast and wouldn't trigger Enchantress.

Haly

The first thing I'll do when I take MaRo's job is to make Modern affordable by reprinting Goyf at common, Goyf lobbyists be damned.

Vote Haly for 2016.

The Adder

Banned
So, I've gone and made a BUG deck that does fast ramp, insane card draw, and can easily generate off color mana.

I'm looking for suggestions for cards with a single white or black mana in the cost to build a sideboard out of and use to answer threats this deck can't in its colors

Was thinking two Underworld Cerberus for handling dredge

Two Rootborn Defenses for handling board wipes.

One Medomai for fun

This is mainly for the fun of the shock value of whipping out off color cards that mess up their side-boarding plans.

Any other suggestions?

Karakand

The first thing I'll do when I take MaRo's job is to make Modern affordable by reprinting Goyf at common, Goyf lobbyists be damned.

Vote Haly for 2016.

Wild Mongrel was a common, what's the worst that could happen?

Just make sure Smother is in the same set.

If you believe that rarity is primarily for selling a card's flavor and balancing it in a Limited environment, Tarmogoyf lives somewhere between rare and uncommon. It made sense at rare in the inside-joke environment of Future Sight, but if you take finances out of it, printing it at uncommon is actually completely reasonable.

An-Det

After a crappy pool at the prerelease this weekend and ditching the second flight to draft a Power Cube (where I drafted UG Eureka/Show & Tell, so much fun), I got first in both Legacy (bug delver) last night and Modern (uwr control) tonight. I was completely undefeated in Legacy, playing Storm, Dredge, Rack, Dredge, then BUG Delver. Against the second dredge player I won the die roll and opened Thoughtseize, Triple Deathrite Shaman, and lands; it wasn't pretty but was so fun. In Modern I played against Tarmo Twin, UR Twin (draw after insane 35-minute game 1 that I won and a punt game 2), RG Tron, UR Delver. My game 2 vs Tron was fun since I (on the play) opened Clique, Snapcaster, Sowing Salt, 2 Steam Vents, 2 Tectonic Edge and drew a Mana Leak.

There's a Modern SCG IQ I'm considering going to this weekend. I like where my UWR is at right now, so we'll see.

Kacar

Wanting to do something different at FNM besides the mono-black devotion I do every week. Want to be super budget and was thinking of doing a ultra aggressive white weenie while trying out some new cards.

Here's what I've thought up. Know that the metagame at my store is heavy into burn, hexproof and creature strategies. Almost nobody plays esper or UW control. I'm also the only one ever playing monoblack.

4 loyal pegasus
4 soldier of the pantheon
4 Boros elite
4 Dryad Militant
4 Daring skyjek
4 oreskos swiftclaw
4 Precinct captain
3 Eidolon of countless battles

4 Brave the Elements
1 Acolytes reward (always wanted to try this card)
3 Banishing Light
2 Oppressive Rays (I dunno seems like it could be alright)

19 plains

Sideboard: (dont really have specifics just ideas)
3 celestial flare
3 pacifism
2 acolytes reward
3 gift of orzhova
2 profit/loss
2 gods willing

How many lands are usual for a deck that stops at 3 cmc? Would spear worth it? Any suggestions? Other cards I thought about were archetype of courage, banisher priest, cavalry pegasus, alive/well just cause I hate burn, maybe immortal servitude, and that strive card, launch the fleet, and tethmos high priest.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Wanting to do something different at FNM besides the mono-black devotion I do every week. Want to be super budget and was thinking of doing a ultra aggressive white weenie while trying out some new cards.

Here's what I've thought up. Know that the metagame at my store is heavy into burn, hexproof and creature strategies. Almost nobody plays esper or UW control. I'm also the only one ever playing monoblack.

4 loyal pegasus
4 soldier of the pantheon
4 Boros elite
4 Dryad Militant
4 Daring skyjek
4 oreskos swiftclaw
4 Precinct captain
3 Eidolon of countless battles

4 Brave the Elements
1 Acolytes reward (always wanted to try this card)
3 Banishing Light
2 Oppressive Rays (I dunno seems like it could be alright)

19 plains

Sideboard: (dont really have specifics just ideas)
3 celestial flare
3 pacifism
2 acolytes reward
3 gift of orzhova
2 profit/loss
2 gods willing

How many lands are usual for a deck that stops at 3 cmc? Would spear worth it? Any suggestions? Other cards I thought about were archetype of courage, banisher priest, cavalry pegasus, alive/well just cause I hate burn, maybe immortal servitude, and that strive card, launch the fleet, and tethmos high priest.

I would run Deicides in the sideboard, at the least. Banisher Priest is my crutch card at the moment, so it's probably just a personal thing, but if I'm in heavy white, she's a 4 of automatically. I like how your deck is doing something a bit different with the swiftclaws and rays. Looks like a lot of fun!

rCIZZLE

MOCS promo for May is Bayou for anybody interested. Last month I jumped in really late and only managed 5 QPs which sucks since it would have been awesome to grab a FoW. Planning on getting to 15 this month since there's nothing else really going on for me in paper magic other than FNM.

Speaking of mixing it up, I tried to deliberately draft the durdliest deck ever yesterday just to see what would happen.

2 deathtouch bestow duder
2 Returned Phalanx
2 Scholar of Athreos
3 Triad of the Fates holy shit
Bunch of removal
1 grisly transformation win condition

Apparently no flying and not attacking is bad LOL

f0rk

Triad of the fates had some pretty ridiculous synergies in my prerelease deck with grey merchant and the new crane. So grindy

rCIZZLE

gpbos14_playmat.jpg

GP Boston (Modern) playmat. Already was going but now I can't wait to grab one of these.

bigkrev

gpbos14_playmat.jpg

GP Boston (Modern) playmat. Already was going but now I can't wait to grab one of these.

The quality of the playmats have increased dramatically over the past few years. My GP Philly 2012 and GP Atlantic City are significantly thinner/cheaper than my GP Philly 2014 playmat, and the jump to actual Magic art is something I'm a big fan of.

Shame they are capping them though- now, if you aren't making it out on Friday, the odds of getting one are nill.

ultron87

It would be really rad if other organizers took Starcity's lead and did mats for everyone. Sadly there isn't really competition in that space so there isn't much reason to actually do that.

Actually, Athreos is good in that deck in that it has creatures like Maggot and Ram that you would WANT to rebuy over the course of a long game. Maggot especially is just as good on turn 9 as it is on turn 2

You're misunderstanding my point. Of course you're going to run creatures that synergize well or have cool abilities with Athreos. The point of Athreos is to make your opponent want to give your creatures back to you. The only way to do that is to make 3 damage per creature dangerous.

In a midrangey list like Grimace's that does its damage all at once or 1 at a time, there's no value proposition going on. They just take the three. Nobody's gonna bounce the maggot brain unless the three will kill them, and he doesn't have enough cheap creatures for his opponent to care about verdicting.

If you have an Athreos out and I doom blade your Soldier of the Pantheon in B/W humans, that sucks because I lost 3 life and a card while you got about as much damage out of your soldier as you would have gotten anyway. If I play Verdict turn 4 on the play and you curve out SotP, Precinct Captain, Athreos, I'm at 14 life and have to debate losing another 6 life to kill your two creatures. If I D-Sphere Athreos I lose 5 to your creatures next turn anyway and you get to hold back cards. That sucks.

If you have Athreos out and I abrupt decay your Coinsmith in Grimace's list, I take 3 damage and you lose a win condition and probably don't have any other relevant creatures out because the deck has gaping holes in the mana curve.
If I play Verdict turn 4 on the play I'm at 18 life and you only have 1 relevant creature out and it just dies if I even care about it. But I'd probably just save verdict until I needed to kill two things and hold an ultimate price to respond to brain maggot.

This is all not including the fact that Athreos just bricks to Last Breath in general, an extremely popular two-of maindeck in the matchup you'd otherwise most want Athreos anyway.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";110237221]You're misunderstanding my point. Of course you're going to run creatures that synergize well or have cool abilities with Athreos. The point of Athreos is to make your opponent want to give your creatures back to you. The only way to do that is to make 3 damage per creature dangerous.

In a midrangey list like Grimace's that does its damage all at once or 1 at a time, there's no value proposition going on. They just take the three. Nobody's gonna bounce the maggot brain unless the three will kill them, and he doesn't have enough cheap creatures for his opponent to care about verdicting.

If you have an Athreos out and I doom blade your Soldier of the Pantheon in B/W humans, that sucks because I lost 3 life and a card while you got about as much damage out of your soldier as you would have gotten anyway. If I play Verdict turn 4 on the play and you curve out SotP, Precinct Captain, Athreos, I'm at 14 life and have to debate losing another 6 life to kill your two creatures. If I D-Sphere Athreos I lose 5 to your creatures next turn anyway and you get to hold back cards. That sucks.

If you have Athreos out and I abrupt decay your Coinsmith in Grimace's list, I take 3 damage and you lose a win condition and probably don't have any other relevant creatures out because the deck has gaping holes in the mana curve.
If I play Verdict turn 4 on the play I'm at 18 life and you only have 1 relevant creature out and it just dies if I even care about it. But I'd probably just save verdict until I needed to kill two things and hold an ultimate price to respond to brain maggot.

This is all not including the fact that Athreos just bricks to Last Breath in general, an extremely popular two-of maindeck in the matchup you'd otherwise most want Athreos anyway.[/QUOTE]

Its that I simply don't think Heliod works for the same reason Heliod is a $3 card: because you can't activate him as a creature reliably in a non-monocolored deck and his ability costs too much for too little return. Trying to buff Sphere of Safety with Heliod is just a win-more. I'd rather play another Sphere of Safety.

I also don't quite understand the idea that the point of Athreos is that the opponent wants to give you the creatures back. That's not necessarily true the way I see it because that argument essentially suggests you should play creatures that don't post a more legitimate threat than 3 life. The three isn't worth nothing; unless I'm not following you, "dies to doom blade" isn't necessarily a relevant argument if you lose three life or waste your doom blade each time you do it.

I'm also not quite following you on Last Breath. Your last point requires a very specific matchup and hand. Whether you happen to have Ultimate Price AND Supreme Verdict and you didn't get Thoughtseized or Brain Maggot-ed out of your Verdict is pretty magical christmasland sounding to me.

I'm not saying I'm married to that list, its just a shell that I'm happy to hear ideas on. Really, if I were going to run that list, I think Blood Baron is probably better than Archangel of Thune.

f0rk

Last breath exiles. As does detention sphere.

I don't think the God is that good right now with the creatures available. Don't have a real sac/punishment engine.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Last breath exiles. As does detention sphere.

I don't think the God is that good right now with the creatures available. Don't have a real sac/punishment engine.

Sure, but you can't target Athreos himself with it, which is what it sounded like he was saying. I'd be more concerned about Deicide with that deck anyways, since Deicide hits virtually everything in the deck: Coinsmith, Ram, Maggot, Safety Sphere and completely obliterates Athreos himself.

Angry Grimace

New Event Deck is an Izzet burn deck. With an AEtherling.

V_Arnold

So guys.... about dat Mox Opal. I have two. Should I sell now or keep it indefinitely? Are we looking at a potentiall reprint in the near future? If not, and it is not banned anytime soon, it should keep increasing in price, right?

Hero

It will probably be reprinted in Modern Masters 2 but that's a year away and should continue to go up until then.

bigkrev

So guys.... about dat Mox Opal. I have two. Should I sell now or keep it indefinitely? Are we looking at a potentiall reprint in the near future? If not, and it is not banned anytime soon, it should keep increasing in price, right?

Modern PTQ season starts next month- sell in that time, unless we not only get confirmation of MM2, but also hear that no Scars block cards are in it.

BTW, Saito is doing his thing again, and has posted 15 new Standard decks on twitter out of nowhere.

My favorites:
I think this deck is insane. It can come out fast, it can play a midrange game, and it has insane late game reach. I really like the combo of Phaenax and Dictate as a late game plan. The only card I don't know if I love is Jared.

I guarantee someone will loose to a deck like this at a PTQ playing for T8, and will quit competitive magic as a result.

This deck looks janky as hell, and I love it to death. Should be an awesome FNM level deck.

Modern PTQ season starts next month- sell in that time, unless we not only get confirmation of MM2, but also hear that no Scars block cards are in it.

BTW, Saito is doing his thing again, and has posted 15 new Standard decks on twitter out of nowhere.

My favorites:

I think this deck is insane. It can come out fast, it can play a midrange game, and it has insane late game reach. I really like the combo of Phaenax and Dictate as a late game plan. The only card I don't know if I love is Jared.

I guarantee someone will loose to a deck like this at a PTQ playing for T8, and will quit competitive magic as a result.

This deck looks janky as hell, and I love it to death. Should be an awesome FNM level deck.
My girlfriend also runs varolz and jarad in her deck with Desecration demon. Blasting you for six then scavenging the demon, swinging and blasting you for another 8+ is insane. Holding back jarad can win you games out of nowhere with creatures with as efficient stats as in golgari.

ultron87

That bottom deck is beautiful. I love that it has the green mana just in case you somehow actually get far enough into the game to hardcast a Worldspine Wurm.

MjFrancis

I imagine Jared is included so T2 Pharika can swing on T3 after Jared is cast. It won't always happen, but that's a nice T3 beatstick.

There's a standard IQ near me this weekend and my friends and I are planning to go. I'm still not sure what deck I want to play though, I guess it depends what I get tonight and if it's enough to support a new deck.

With Mana Confluence being the number one impact card with JOU, I'm expecting faster decks to be a bit stronger so I think I want to aim for an aggro shell...I have one Confulence already, hope I get more later tonight!

bigkrev

Can someone compile the Saito decks? Don't have twitter access at work and viewing them on phone is annoying.

http://imgur.com/a/qJpMH#0 is an album of all the decks, I saw, however, some people are talking about a Notion Theif-Master of the Feast deck he made that isn't part of the album.

And I just realized his UWR control deck is actually running FIREMIND'S FORESIGHT, which actually seems kind of sweet. Can get
1: Syncopate, Quicken
2: Izzit Charm, Turn/Burn, Last Breath, Deicide
3: Sphinx's Rev, Dissolve, Turn/Burn

kirblar

http://imgur.com/a/qJpMH#0 is an album of all the decks, I saw, however, some people are talking about a Notion Theif-Master of the Feast deck he made that isn't part of the album.
Wow, that's dirty.

Deck1:GW Enchantment Special.
Deck2:Mono Black Beatdown.
Deck3:Rb Beatdown.
Deck4:Wu midrange.
Deck5:Mono Blue Devotion.
Deck6:Rw Devotion.
Deck7:UR Big Burning. I love this deck(*^◯^*)
Deck8:GW Beatdown.
Deck9:WR Heroic Beatdown.
Deck10:BR Midrange
Deck11:BW Control
Deck12:Naya Aura
Deck13:Green Devotion
Deck14:GB Midrange.
Deck15:Mono White Beat Down
Deck16:Rg Beatdown
Deck17:UWr control^^

Angry Grimace

I have played a deck that's very, very similar to that Hexproof deck, just without the JOU cards. That deck sucks (to play against). The only way I can win is to aggressively mulligan hand destruction and cards like Drown in Sorrow, or try and ramp into an Cyclonic Rift (at which point the opposing player almost always scoops, unless you have an empty board and no hand.)

kirblar

I have played a deck that's very, very similar to that Hexproof deck, just without the JOU cards. That deck sucks. The only way I can win is to aggressively mulligan hand destruction and cards like Drown in Sorrow, or try and ramp into an Cyclonic Rift (at which point the opposing player almost always scoops, unless you have an empty board and no hand.)
What on earth are you talking about? That's a Naya Hexproof deck.

Angry Grimace

What on earth are you talking about? That's a Naya Hexproof deck.

I'm not sure I'm following.

I'm saying I played against a very similar build and I always lose unless I use a very specific strategy that's almost impossible to actually get and use.

rCIZZLE

I have played a deck that's very, very similar to that Hexproof deck, just without the JOU cards. That deck sucks (edit: to play against) The only way I can win is to aggressively mulligan hand destruction and cards like Drown in Sorrow, or try and ramp into an overloaded Cyclonic Rift and hope cheap fatties like Reaper of the Wilds/Desecration Demon can hold them off.

If you're able to cast Drown in Sorrow then you can cast Devour Flesh. :p It's not great if they have Voice of Resurgence out along with a hexproof guy but you can always use a kill spell on the Voice then Devour in response to the token trigger.

If you can cast both Drown and Rift then Far // Away is excellent and gets around the Voice problem.

Angry Grimace

You need to say "played against", not "played". :p

Yeah, I edited in "to play against" later, which would have made that clearer.

If you're able to cast Drown in Sorrow then you can cast Devour Flesh. :p It's not great if they have Voice of Resurgence out along with a hexproof guy but you can always use a kill spell on the Voice then Devour in response to the token trigger.

If you can cast both Drown and Rift then Far // Away is excellent and gets around the Voice problem.

Most of the time I play that deck on MTGO they tend to run Fleecemane Lion instead of Voice of Resurgence (although I've seen both). I imagine that has something to do with "30 tix for 1 Voice"

bigkrev

So I decided I should grab a playset of Worldspine Wurm to use in that burn deck, and am amused that it's a 3.75 Tcgplayer mid card. Would have thought it was a lot cheaper.

Angry Grimace

So I decided I should grab a playset of Worldspine Wurm to use in that burn deck, and am amused that it's a 3.75 Tcgplayer mid card. Would have thought it was a lot cheaper.

I was surprised too. I would have thought Steam Vents would be the most expensive part by far.

Top Bottom