• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

bigkrev

Screen grab brah

Screenshot?

Untitled_zps808cc82c.png

Just fire up the stream. the cards look like they are cut short in the sleeve, especially when there are close-ups

bigkrev

Edel's deck looked sick when he drafted it. But Wafo-Tapa's deck is insane.

I had to shut the chat off. In his Theros pack, everyone was screaming when he took Arena Athelete over a hate draft/money draft of Anger of the Gods when his deck had no 2 drops.

At work man can't fire it up. Thanks for the grab

As am I, which is the reason the aspect ratio of that image is so bad, lol. Can't have sound on though

I had to shut the chat off. In his Theros pack, everyone was screaming when he took Arena Athelete over a hate draft/money draft of Anger of the Gods when his deck had no 2 drops.

I'm watching it at home (staying up way too late here in Perth), and I just have it on my TV. After a couple minutes of chat, I had to make the video full screen.

bigkrev

C9fvQKx.jpg

I'm kind of surprised this took so long to be honest.

Although, this seems kind of dumb. Can I not use my Star Wars LCG Han Solo sleeves anymore? What about generic MLP sleeves now that that is a CCG?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
C9fvQKx.jpg

I'm kind of surprised this took so long to be honest.

Although, this seems kind of dumb. Can I not use my Star Wars LCG Han Solo sleeves anymore? What about generic MLP sleeves now that that is a CCG?

You're on the Pro Tour?

Crocodile

The mono colored gods were fine, but the 10 gold ones... Did not need to exist.

Given the philosophy of the color wheel and how it thoroughly influences all aspects of Magic, players would have screamed bloody murder if there were no multi-color Gods as it would have betrayed expectations. Also needed for the block's story.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
For the record, Saito's G/W Enchantress deck fucking sucks to play against. Its win condition is boring you to tears.

Angry Grimace

Play FoundOmega's Guardians of the Galaxy bant.

My biggest problem with the deck is that its entire play scheme is just drawing a billion cards, but the cards it draws rarely do anything other than draw more cards. So you just sit there while they draw more Eidolons of Card Draw and don't attack you because all they have are 2/2s and mana dorks.

kirblar

My biggest problem with the deck is that its entire play scheme is just drawing a billion cards, but the cards it draws rarely do anything other than draw more cards. So you just sit there while they draw more Eidolons of Card Draw and don't attack you because all they have are 2/2s and mana dorks.
That's where you have Ajani turn into Rita Repulsa and make a monster grow.

Karakand

If Theros hadn't followed Ravnica I think it would have been for the best, at least with the current design philosophy that sets must compliment / interact with each other.

kirblar

If Theros hadn't followed Ravnica I think it would have been for the best, at least with the current design philosophy that sets must compliment / interact with each other.
They've said the big problem was reprinting Mutavault. It made mono-decks way too strong.

Karakand

They've said the big problem was reprinting Mutavault. It made mono-decks way too strong.

I'm not opposed to a monocolor-dominant Standard season, but it's really a failure of design when it happens in one where one of the blocks is a Ravnica block. B/g devotion is almost like an Ancien Regime Standard deck in its construction.

And if it hadn't followed a Ravnica block, the designers might not have felt as compelled to have a full set of gods in all allied and enemy color pairings (along with complimenting nonbasic lands), to go back to the earlier discussion.

Dr. Phil Deck Sesh Needed

So. I've tried rocking a constructed casual deck around Sundial of the Infinite (edit!) / Eon Hub. I scrapped Eon Hub due to mana cost and integrated Nacatl War-Pride with Sundial in a scrubby Green-Blue deck. I'm not looking for maximum efficiency or anything, but I want something that's semi-reliable. I've noticed that the War-Pride is so vulnerable at 3 toughness and 6 mana...

Anyway, I bought some Hecatombs because I love the card and I think it synergizes with Sundial so well. Also, I love the idea of tapping swamps for damage. I'm partial to keeping Blue for counterspells and keeping Sundial / Hecatomb safe, but I don't know if I should abandon Green / War-Pride because of its splashless mana cost (3 forests is no joke).

Any thoughts on an upkeep/etb-friendly or ETB-nullifying deck that would use Hecatomb / Sundial? I love the idea of Sundial / War-Pride, but I've never been able to get it going and it's the only the thing keeping me in Green... I think Black-Blue is probably the way to go.

EDIT: I also have 4 Glacial Chasms :) I think those can help.. Maybe an Eon Hub or two would be alright if / when the game goes late... Just fishing for ideas, really :)

Crocodile

Watching this Pro Tour, the board positions in some of these matches are ludicrous. Like worse than EDH or a limited game gone awry O_O :/

bigkrev

I love this format. We just saw 2 camera matches with different monocolored aggro decks kill their multicolor control opponents on turn 4 before they had even done anything

Crocodile

I love this format. We just saw 2 camera matches with different monocolored aggro decks kill their multicolor control opponents on turn 4 before they had even done anything

Did Darwin even look at a Theros Block card before today? It doesn't seem like it the way he played (and he STILL WON) :p

The way Chapin is playing his lands is why worse than lands in front

It's annoying but its good for the camera so that's probably his rationale

bigkrev

Guys, Conley Woods currently has an Archetype of Endurance on top of his deck with Courser of Kruphex and I just want to quit Magic forever.

Karakand

Guys, Conley Woods currently has an Archetype of Endurance on top of his deck with Courser of Kruphex and I just want to quit Magic forever.

lmao

I keep meaning to buy the G/W hexproof aura deck that's hanging around in the Pauper metagame atm and play it just for you, but I'm morally opposed to paying 15 U.S. dollars for a playset of Ancestral Mask.

Angry Grimace

Is the "pro" section really much more than just luck of whatever you draw? I feel like there has to be some kind of cap on skill at some point since the game is 50% luck in the first place.

Is the "pro" section really much more than just luck of whatever you draw? I feel like there has to be some kind of cap on skill at some point since the game is 50% luck in the first place.

If that were the case, how do you explain players like Kai Budde who have a 68% win rate in professional-level events with over 1000 matches recorded?

The skill ceiling to this game is far higher than it appears. It's not like chess, where you have absolutely no hope of beating someone who is tiers of skill above you. But "50% luck" is a gross exaggeration.

ultron87

The other thing that should be considered beyond play skill is talent at deck building and testing and knowing how to choose the right deck for the tournament. Especially in a tournament like this with a format that hasn't been played significantly.

Obviously all the pro teams that exist help their members a ton in this regard.

Speaking of "this format;" I'm finally catching up on the constructed part of the PT.

This format looks awful. Please say not every match is Thoughtseize.Mirror

Standard right now is God damn dreadful. Playing some guy who plays a full set of Thoughseize, Duress and brain maggots is about as much fun as having someone hammer a nail through your scrotum.

Top Bottom