• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

IldtzvGTaO_EN.jpg

For good times, Call Marchesa

What the fuck doesn't that make undying BROKAN??

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Mythic has a lot of Vintage-Restricted cards. It actually makes sense that they're making so many Mythics. (There are 30)

Since a playset for most is "1", its not exactly like a normal Mythic.

I'm actually not sure now. Its listed as rare in one place and Mythic in another.

They should have kept the old art:

Eureka.jpg

fRD1y4h.jpg

Workshop at mythic? Really? I suppose there are likely to be powerful artifacts in the set and the risk of giving out shops at rare has some impact on limited, but at the same time it's not like the card is restricted and likely to be all that frustrating in draft. Is it just because of how important the card is to the vintage metagame?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Workshop at mythic? Really? I suppose there are likely to be powerful artifacts in the set and the risk of giving out shops at rare has some impact on limited, but at the same time it's not like the card is restricted and likely to be all that frustrating in draft. Is it just because of how important the card is to the vintage metagame?

Workshop is totally a Mythic. That seems right for that card. I imagine Candelabra is probably showing up as a Mythic too.

Karakand

Dark Ritual? Pls this is Post-Invasion Pre-Time Spiral Dominaria Masters, you'll get Cabal Ritual and you'll damn well like it.

e: Would love a Nimble Mongoose and Werebear reprint ngl.

Dark Ritual? Pls this is Post-Invasion Pre-Time Spiral Dominaria Masters, you'll get Cabal Ritual and you'll damn well like it.

e: Would love a Nimble Mongoose and Werebear reprint ngl.

Cabal Ritual? It'll be Seething Song.

Nah. If they're pushing U/B storm as a draft archetype, you'll get Dark Rit at common just like the good old days.

Angry Grimace

I wonder how long this set is going to be up. They haven't mentioned it being a short-supply set, and most of the cards in this set need to be available for a few months if they want to make Vintage a thing, especially with P9 cards at 1 in 56.

Karakand

I don't know of it ever being in something relevant outside of that Time Spiral Standard season and Modern, which was the point I was trying to make but failing at quite well. (Jace is pretty much always relevant in everything since it's a loldumb card.)

Not that Teroh's Faithful has been relevant in anything outside Mental Magic (Armageddon).

We'll just say you smoked me real good on that one AG.

Angry Grimace

I don't know of it ever being in something relevant outside of that Time Spiral Standard season and Modern, which was the point I was trying to make but failing at quite well. (Jace is pretty much always relevant in everything since it's a loldumb card.)

Not that Teroh's Faithful has been relevant in anything outside Mental Magic (Armageddon).

We'll just say you smoked me real good on that one AG.

lol I have no clue what is happening right now

y2dvd

Played two games of 4 way EDH last night. I'm using a graveyard Mimeoplasm deck. My opponent get Rest in Peace in play on T2 in both games. -_-

Wynnebeck

Banned
How do you guys like Brain Maggot and Athreos in an Esper Standard deck? I'm running 3 Maggots and was thinking of throwing in Master of Feasts or Athreos to let guys like Desecration Demon, Nightveil Specter, and BBoV do work.

How do you guys like Brain Maggot and Athreos in an Esper Standard deck? I'm running 3 Maggots and was thinking of throwing in Master of Feasts or Athreos to let guys like Desecration Demon, Nightveil Specter, and BBoV do work.

Esper... midrange? Athreos is a terrible card and Master of Feasts is only good in aggro. Maggots are fine.

IldtzvGTaO_EN.jpg

For good times, Call Marchesa

I like this chick, but yikes, there aren't very many good Grixis-colored creatures that naturally come in with +1/+1 counters. You have the monoblack Devour guys (not very many), some Bloodthirst guys, and Graft/Evolve guys in blue. There are also Allies and Modular, but kind of slim pickings. The best ones I can find are Suntouched Myr and Triskelion.

I guess she might be good in a Commander Affinity shell, though. Modular and this chick are actually kind of a neat combo.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I like this chick, but yikes, there aren't very many good Grixis-colored creatures that naturally come in with +1/+1 counters. You have the monoblack Devour guys (not very many), some Bloodthirst guys, and Graft/Evolve guys in blue. There are also Allies and Modular, but kind of slim pickings. The best ones I can find are Suntouched Myr and Triskelion.

I guess she might be good in a Commander Affinity shell, though. Modular and this chick are actually kind of a neat combo.

Modular with her sounds hilarious. I'm building this now

Angry Grimace

Athreos doesn't work with Desecration Demon and Blood Baron very well because they're both quite resistant to actually dying.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Athreos doesn't work with Desecration Demon and Blood Baron very well because they're both quite resistant to actually dying.

What makes it a terrible card? In the mirror, someone drops a Supreme Verdict and boom, you take potentially 3-9 damage or I get all of that back on top of the Sphinx's Rev threat or Aetherling.

MjFrancis

This has great synergy with Marchesa:

unspeakable-symbol.jpg

Pay three life, save a creature that doesn't have a +1/+1 counter on it when it's targeted for removal. It keeps your life total down, too.

I'd just stuff an EDH deck full of Undying, Bloodthirst & Unleash cards.

Throw in Maga. If she doesn't eat removal she'd just be the gift that keeps on giving.

maga-traitor-to-mortals.jpg

Blood Tyrant seems like a prime goodstuff.dec addition. Put in Curse of the Stalked Prey for win-more, Exava, Deathbringer Thoctar - I'd even put in Bloodflow Connoisseur. There are Grixis cards for days that work with Marchesa. Seems like a simple deck to put together.

I like this chick, but yikes, there aren't very many good Grixis-colored creatures that naturally come in with +1/+1 counters.

Marchesa + Undying creatures + Sacrifice outlets could be a pretty good time

Flayer of the Hatebound or other ones with ETB effects in particular.

Damn I like my Jeleva deck but maybe I want to build that one

Wynnebeck

Banned
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";112093498]The... mirror? You want to put Athreos and a bunch of creatures in a control deck?[/QUOTE]

No fool! lol I meant having them as potential SB material in G2 and G3 when the opponent gets rid of most of his removal. My current meta revolves heavily around G/B/U, G/W, and W/U/x so I want to have a bit of a threat early on without having to fend off attacks until Turn 4 where I can drop Verdict.

Angry Grimace

What makes it a terrible card? In the mirror, someone drops a Supreme Verdict and boom, you take potentially 3-9 damage or I get all of that back on top of the Sphinx's Rev threat or Aetherling.

It's not a terrible card, that's just not the deck for it.

You could side it in against U/W/x control, but decks running Demon and Blood Baron shouldn't be running Athreos in general because Athreos functioning is mostly dependent on creatures dying. Blood Baron is very hard to kill and Demon has a pretty huge body.

Even as a SB card against control, I don't think its a great play because control can handle Athreos easily (Deicide, Detention Sphere, Banishing Light).

The problem with Master of Feasts is that the three-drop spot is completely filled with better cards.

No fool! lol I meant having them as potential SB material in G2 and G3 when the opponent gets rid of most of his removal. My current meta revolves heavily around G/B/U, G/W, and W/U/x so I want to have a bit of a threat early on without having to fend off attacks until Turn 4 where I can drop Verdict.

I think dumping half your sideboard slots for combo cards that don't do anything is pretty bad.

I mean, you literally just said that your plan is to play brain maggot and then kill it with your own supreme verdict giving your opponent their best card back.

Firemind

What a bad legend. I don't even understand the flavour. Shouldn't she have an assassinate ability? What's the meaning of the two other abilities? She grows bigger and she's immortal?

Whoa unspeakable symbol is incredible with her. She can reanimate herself if she has a counter on, and the Symbol guarantees it. Fantastic.

Wynnebeck

Banned
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";112094851]I think dumping half your sideboard slots for combo cards that don't do anything is pretty bad.

I mean, you literally just said that your plan is to play brain maggot and then kill it with your own supreme verdict giving your opponent their best card back.[/QUOTE]

No I wouldn't drop the Supreme in that situation, but I see what you mean overall. Back to my regular Esper list and going 1-3 at FNM like always. :/

Top Bottom