• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

My wife watched it with me and she said, and I quote "I think I just OD'd on geek. That little guy is so excited."
I missed it, can't wait to catch a clip on YouTube.
That's just how MaRo is. It's funny.
He has so much energy bundled in a small package and comes across as being so enthusiastic.

traveler

Not Wario
Maybe tribal is returning? Tribal with a focus on "classes" instead of races? Set does seem an awful lot like the world of Odyssey/Scourge from the little we've seen. Barbarians in a harsh environment with the inevitable promise of a dragon centric set? Guess the Mongolian theming will differentiate it.

Just spitballing. I'm more excited for this set than I have been for any in a while. Really ready for a return to bottom up design. Never was the biggest top down fan and it's results of late have been especially subpar.

Kurtofan

But there was already one in the storyline. Seem weird to say "DRAGONS ARE BACK!" and follow it up with "Woops they are all dead". Bringing the dragons back in a third, large set matches up with how Rise of the Eldrazi and Avacyn Restored played out.

I didn't say they would all die, I meant as in a big war, where they could kill everyone, like in New Phyrexia.
1 set: dragon less world, but something's not right.

2 set: dragon are back!

3 set: War against dragons! Dragons wins! (or lose)

The Scars of Mirrodin scenario.

kirblar

Maybe tribal is returning? Tribal with a focus on "classes" instead of races? Set does seem an awful lot like the world of Odyssey/Scourge from the little we've seen. Barbarians in a harsh environment with the inevitable promise of a dragon centric set? Guess the Mongolian theming will differentiate it.

Just spitballing. I'm more excited for this set than I have been for any in a while. Really ready for a return to bottom up design. Never was the biggest top down fan and it's results of late have been especially subpar.
Tribal is dead. Too much upkeep outside of blocks where it's relevant for too little reward.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I missed it, can't wait to catch a clip on YouTube.
That's just how MaRo is. It's funny.
He has so much energy bundled in a small package and comes across as being so enthusiastic.

Yeah, no doubt. He seems like a great guy. Love his podcast, even if he can't stay on one subject for like, 30 seconds. I love how he started casts on the color pie, then sort of meandered into other 9 part podcasts.

Karakand

EDIT: Wizards really needs to embrace spectacle. Two guys sitting at a table surrounded by acres of empty space is so...anti-climatic. Have an audience watching the feed that you can cut to cheering and/or pouting, get live reactions, etc.

They used to have the crowds close enough where you could hear them and they were very disruptive.

Dragons as steeds. The rider gets "enchanted" onto the dragon giving it a stat boost. When the dragon dies, the rider falls off still on the battlefield. Just how enchantment creatures work. lulz

This dragon talk reminds me of the disappointment of the lack of dragons in.... Dragon's Maze.

WanderingWind

Honestly, what has the community been asking for that isn't about lands? Well, except Eldrazi and it's too soon for them to be back.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Honestly, what has the community been asking for that isn't about lands? Well, except Eldrazi and it's too soon for them to be back.

Eh, there's been like five years since the Eldrazi, that's a decent span. I don't think it will be Eldrazi though because this is so clearly the dragon set

...I've got no idea.

The Technomancer

Maybe on like the third attempt they've gotten "evolving" cards right?

Although, even with apparently mixed reception, I still thought Level Up was a really cool mechanic.

kirblar

I'm just guessing based on the Judge art and the fact that I can't think of something else that people have been asking for that fits.

kirbs is just hating, as per the usus
I'm not hating, I'm asking why you would print expensive full art promos only to devalue them months later by printing full art lands again.

They don't do this with Judge stuff on purpose.

The Technomancer

It could be a wedge block, people have been frothing at the mouth for that for a while. Doesn't really seem to fit with the, admittedly two, pieces of art we've seen so far

EDIT: no wait, they wouldn't do multicolor two years after RTR. They said they learned their lesson with Alara

kirblar

It could be a wedge block, people have been frothing at the mouth for that for a while. Doesn't really seem to fit with the, admittedly two, pieces of art we've seen so far

EDIT: no wait, they wouldn't do multicolor two years after RTR. They said they learned their lesson with Alara
Also, gold is a "we can use it whenever thing" in small doses now.

WanderingWind

I'm not hating, I'm asking why you would print expensive full art promos only to devalue them months later by printing full art lands again.

They don't do this with Judge stuff on purpose.

Just joking, mate.

But judge promos can be foiled, signed versions sent out ahead of time. That's still pretty neat, and they can be promos for like, level 1s or something.

Think outside the box!

I keep having whacky ideas.

Dragons are dead on that plane but the PW returns with a portal to bring them from other planes. The twist is you can play cards with the dragon creature type from previous sets.

Wichu

I keep having whacky ideas.

Dragons are dead on that plane but the PW returns with a portal to bring them from other planes. The twist is you can play cards with the dragon creature type from previous sets.

Time Spiral-esque Timeshifted cards in boosters, but they're all Dragons.

bigkrev

Nam gets thoughtsiezed, reveals hand with 2 different art Thoughtsiezes AND is using 4th Edition Forests

I think he hates aesthetics.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
If I wanted to watch people trade weenies, I'd watch Hearthstone.

Crocodile

I'm glad Chapin won, he finally got his dues :) Plus we don't want another Pro Tour where the winner would just go down in history as "the dude that wasn't Chapin" (no disrespect to Wook).
That fucking photo though........I can't :/

The bit at the end with Elspeth was a bit awkward but Sprankle is def a God-Tier cosplayer :) I wonder who her go to character will be now that
Elspeth is dead

f0rk

Where do you guys stand on different sets for the same cycles of lands. Like if all my Arid Mesa's are Zendikar would it be bad my Verdant Catacombs are from the new set.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I give it a 5% chance that Elspeth doesn't just come back to life through tomfoolery.

rCIZZLE

Where do you guys stand on different sets for the same cycles of lands. Like if all my Arid Mesa's are Zendikar would it be bad my Verdant Catacombs are from the new set.

Would be a little bit of a visual fail but it'd be better than having different versions of lands within the playset.

Top Bottom