• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

Crocodile

Is there some story about how Chapin isn't allowed in Japan or something?

I swear this is a thing

My understanding, anyone correct me if I'm wrong, is that Chapin used to sell ecstasy in his youth (late teens I think). The law eventually caught up with him and he had to spend some time in jail (this caused him to lose his position he had gotten at WOTC R&D). Japan won't let anybody into the country that has a federal conviction, from any country, in. Since Chapin has a conviction for drug trafficking on his permanent record, he's effectively banned from Japan.

Again, anyone feel free to correct me if I got anything wrong.

bigkrev

My understanding, anyone correct me if I'm wrong, is that Chapin used to sell ecstasy in his youth (late teens I think). The law eventually caught up with him and he had to spend some time in jail (this caused him to lose his position he had gotten at WOTC R&D). Japan won't let anybody into the country that has a federal conviction, from any country, in. Since Chapin has a conviction for drug trafficking on his permanent record, he's effectively banned from Japan.

Again, anyone feel free to correct me if I got anything wrong.

That sounds about right. I remember this coming up a few years ago for a PT in Japan and he was talking about how due to something (Reactor? Earthquake? I don't really remember) they should move the event and people were just attacking him saying "no, its cause your not allowed in the country".

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Whatever your fetchlands cost now they will plummet when Fetches are reprinted. There isn't any reason to believe they either will or won't be reprinted in Sarkhan Vol's Wild Ride.

Yeef

When fetches are reprinted in Standard, I expect them to drop to about $20 a pop in short order, then stabilize at around $10~$15 for their duration in standard (for the ones printed in the fall set; any in the other sets may be higher if they're not drafted alone).

ultron87

Conspiracy Previews!

This is great:

1d9V8T2HQn_EN.jpg

But also yet another thing that is way less weird for everyone involved if you're playing it from a cube where no one is keeping their pools.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Okay, now this has to become a cube staple for paper cubes, right? How awesome is this?

"Oh guys, yeah - who wants this Jace that I hate-drafted and what will you give me for it?" Bwa haha.

This is hilarious for encouraging hate drafting and off color rare drafting.

So I'm trying to decide if the Conspiracy cards are good for a cube environment, or if they're just outside of the realm of playability. My gut says that if there are enough interesting ones, I'll sleeve them up and put them in the side and let the group decide on a draft-by-draft basis. I mean, think how powerful it would be to draft this card in a balls-to-the-wall aggressive cube deck:

e5S90RfFd8_EN.jpg

OnPoint

RULES QUESTION

I play Night of Soul's Betrayal. It resolves.

I activate Mishra's Factory.

Is it a 1/1 because of the enchantment, or is it a 2/2 because of the weird layering effects caused by cards like that?

ultron87

It's a 1/1 because the power/toughness setting layer (the factory's ability) is before the modifying layer (the Night of Soul's Betrayal). So it becomes a 2/2 and then gets modified to a 1/1.

Angry Grimace

Mono-red Sarkhan, maybe? Or Rakdos again?

I don't see RG Sarkhan again due to Domri and Xenagos being the last two blocks.

I'm still bitter that they chose this guy of all planeswalkers to be in Modern Masters.

Really? There wasn't anyone better? You had to go with freakin' Sarkhan the Lame for Modern Masters?

Angry Grimace

I'll bet you a Ruric Thar it's not fetches.

I'm still bitter that they chose this guy of all planeswalkers to be in Modern Masters.

Really? There wasn't anyone better? You had to go with freakin' Sarkhan the Lame for Modern Masters?

Most Planeswalkers aren't really modern staples though, are they? I mean, Liliana, but she was in Standard at the point at which MM was released.

OnPoint

Thanks for the layering answer above.

... Elspeth was too lol

I think this new one will be mono-red.

OnPoint

Yes, I'm aware (that nice lady singlehandedly won me a draft, in fact). But Sarkhan? Seriously; OG Garruk or Jace would have been better. Or just don't put another planeswalker in the set; find a better mythic.

Karn and Liliana are probably the ones most primed for a reprint value-wise, but I doubt we'll see them in MM2. Maybe MM3? Somewhere down the line I'd imagine.

Angry Grimace

Karn and Liliana are probably the ones most primed for a reprint value-wise, but I doubt we'll see them in MM2. Maybe MM3? Somewhere down the line I'd imagine.

Maybe Ajani Vengeant?

I guess whether Liliana shows up in MM2 would depend if they were reaching all the way to Innistrad for reprints.

OnPoint

Maybe Ajani Vengeant?

I guess whether Liliana shows up in MM2 would depend if they were reaching all the way to Innistrad for reprints.

Ajani's a good one.

I honestly think we'll see Liliana in a Standard somehow before MM2, especially since (rumor was) they wanted to put her in M14 before realizing how nuts monoblack was. So, perhaps in a core set. Still, it probably won't be M15 with Garruk going black unless there's two black PW, so who knows. But if they do her in MM2, Karn could come along too since it's the block beforehand.

alternade

Maybe a dega Sarakhan? I hope this isn't a heavy gold set so close to RTR. Fetches are a lock I think for the first set. I'm assuming that its going to be a "tribal clan" gimmick and the third set will be 2 sets based on the clans going to war.

Congrats to Chap in but is anyone else getting fatigue of seeing the same players win every pro tour, open, grand Prix, etc? I just want to see new blood take the reigns. How long is it for someone new starting today to get to the pro tour level, not in skill but points and such?

Angry Grimace

Maybe a dega Sarakhan? I hope this isn't a heavy gold set so close to RTR. Fetches are a lock I think for the first set. I'm assuming that its going to be a "tribal clan" gimmick and the third set will be 2 sets based on the clans going to war.

Congrats to Chap in but is anyone else getting fatigue of seeing the same players win every pro tour, open, grand Prix, etc? I just want to see new blood take the reigns. How long is it for someone new starting today to get to the pro tour level, not in skill but points and such?

I don't think they're going to put the set's main character as a three-color. Its too difficult to cast and ends up not seeing play.

I don't think Tribal is going to ever be a full-on set-wide thing again. Its too set specific.

Reid Duke is probably the hero you're looking for; this was his first Pro Tour top 8, and it wasn't but two (?) years ago that he was Rookie of the Year.

EDIT: And Josh Utter-Leyton is a relative newcomer as well, I believe.

Don't know if it's been covered, but they don't mention it in the mtgdaily articles today at least. Are there any rules about the conspiracy card type for casual constructed? Seems obvious that they aren't allowed in sanctioned play, but are there any rules preventing a Commander player from just starting every game with all of the conspiracies active, for example? Apart from the social contract?

Yeef

Don't know if it's been covered, but they don't mention it in the mtgdaily articles today at least. Are there any rules about the conspiracy card type for casual constructed? Seems obvious that they aren't allowed in sanctioned play, but are there any rules preventing a Commander player from just starting every game with all of the conspiracies active, for example? Apart from the social contract?
Lack of a rule set is what defines casual.

Conspiracies aren't actually part of your deck. Much like vanguard cards or hero cards (from the hero's path), they're not really a 'thing' in constructed unless your playgroup agrees to use them.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Ajani's a good one.

I honestly think we'll see Liliana in a Standard somehow before MM2, especially since (rumor was) they wanted to put her in M14 before realizing how nuts monoblack was. So, perhaps in a core set. Still, it probably won't be M15 with Garruk going black unless there's two black PW, so who knows. But if they do her in MM2, Karn could come along too since it's the block beforehand.

God, Lili would have made mono-black the only deck to play.

ultron87

I'd think the Zendikar full arts would hold their value even if a new set of them got printed. Full art lands are entirely about the art.

Angry Grimace

Wasn't Sarkhan put in Modern Masters for casual players? (i.e. They wanted to put more copies of him in the secondary market.)

Well, Modern Masters only went up through Alara block, so there weren't a ton of playable walkers to choose from.

Yup. She's that good. Coupled with thought seize, duress, black's removal, etc...

Imagine the hilarity of super standard if they put LOTV in M15.

Also, I saw that MaRo basically confirmed the theory here that Enchantment Land wasn't a thing due to Artifact Lands being busted:

Was an enchantment land ever in consideration for Theros block?

I think the artifact lands scared us off from even trying especially with constellation in the mix.

Carcetti

Could someone help a casual player a bit?

I've had a long, long break from magic but I'm playing socially again, now and then. The people I've played with have some cards which are amazingly munchkin in my eyes but apparently that's the price of the slow power creep.

I don't want to go into a booster buying weapons race just to enjoy some casual games so I was wondering if I could get some tips on generally useful cards that I could buy dirt cheap.

I like playing blue/black/red triple color general purpose decks and apparently something called Charms are amazingly useful in there. What else could I get?

f0rk

I've had a long, long break from magic but I'm playing socially again, now and then. The people I've played with have some cards which are amazingly munchkin in my eyes but apparently that's the price of the slow power creep.

I don't want to go into a booster buying weapons race just to enjoy some casual games so I was wondering if I could get some tips on generally useful cards that I could buy dirt cheap.

I like playing blue/black/red triple color general purpose decks and apparently something called Charms are amazingly useful in there. What else could I get?

Do you know what format your friends are playing

bigkrev

Build a manabase. The bare minimum would be guildgates, which you could pick up sets of 4 of for a dollar or less. You will be able to use dual lands in casual decks for the rest of time, so feel free to invest in something slightly more expensive- M10 buddylands, 5th-10th edition Shocklands, or Ravnica Shocklands (those are the most expensive, but are also Modern playable so have value if you ever decided to go competitive)

ultron87

General purpose "good" stuff that will improve most casual decks (assuming no restrictions):

Red:
Lightning Bolt

Blue:
Ponder, Compulsive Research, Mana Leak (you might be a monster if you run Mana Leak)

Black:
Doom Blade, Duress, Murder, Vampire Nighthawk

Lands:

Dual lands of any type to fix your mana if you're playing three colors. Cheapest option is probably the Guildgates in your colors. They just always come into play tapped. If you want to get fancier you can get the M10-M13 buddy lands.

If you say what kind of decks you're playing there is probably more specific advice we could give.

Angry Grimace

I wonder what kind of ridiculous dual land they will invent for the Tarkir block.

Top Bottom