• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I wonder what kind of ridiculous dual land they will invent for the Tarkir block.

Grassy Dragon Plains
Land

T: Add G or W to your mana pool
You may have Grassy Dragon Plains enter the battlefield tapped. If you do, put a 5/5 dragon token with flying into play

Dark Dragon Island
Land

T: Add U or B to your mana pool
You may have Dark Dragon Island enter the battlefield tapped. If you do, put a 5/5 dragon token with flying into play

etc

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Grassy Dragon Plains
Land

You may have Grassy Dragon Plains enter the battlefield tapped. If you do, put a 5/5 dragon token with flying into play

Dark Dragon Island
Land

You may have Dark Dragon Island enter the battlefield tapped. If you do, put a 5/5 dragon token with flying into play

etc

I will say that the mountain behind the dude in the promo art looks pretty Dragonskull Summit-esque.

Grakl

Grassy Dragon Plains
Land

Dark Dragon Island
Land

etc

do it wizards

OnPoint

Grassy Dragon Plains
Land

Dark Dragon Island
Land

etc

So... dual lands that can come in and produce free 5/5 flying tokens?

Sure. Why not.

Dragon Dragon Dragon
Artifact Enchantment Tribal Land

Tap to add RU, RW, RG, or RB in any combination to your mana pool. This land comes into play tapped unless you promise not to do something really degenerate or mean.

:p

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
What if they really bring back Horsemanship?

Is this the thing everyone asked for?

Maybe it's like Batterskull.

Tarkir Scout
2R
Human Soldier
Mount Horse (when this creature enters the battlefield, put a 1/1 red Horse token onto the battlefield, then mount this on it.)
If Tarkir Sky Scout is mounted, it gets first strike.
2/1

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
What if they really bring back Horsemanship?

Is this the thing everyone asked for?

Maybe it's like Batterskull.

Tarkir Scout
2R
Human Soldier
Mount Horse (when this creature enters the battlefield, put a 1/1 red Horse token onto the battlefield, then mount this on it.)
If Tarkir Sky Scout is mounted, it gets first strike.
2/1

I don't see it ever happening. It doesn't co-exist very well with flying.

Haly

But we would finally have the much awaited superflying, flying + horsemanship!

Angry Grimace

Magical Christmasland
Land

Enters the battlefield tapped unless you put a 8/8 dragon token with flying onto the battlefield.

T: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool. Activate this ability only to cast creature, planeswalker, sorcery, enchantment, instant or artifact spells.

Grakl

Magical Christmasland
Land

Enters the battlefield tapped unless you put a 8/8 dragon token with flying onto the battlefield.

T: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool. Activate this ability only to cast creature, planeswalker, sorcery, enchantment, instant or artifact spells.

doesn't have haste, isn't any good

also what color is the dragon, it's important (dragons have to be red or else they aren't very cool)

OnPoint

I love the idea of some crazy alternate version of Magic where dual lands get upsides instead of downsides.

Right? Why not just make it really bonkers?

Crystal Metropolis

Plains Island Swamp Mountain Forest

T: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool, gain one life

W, T: Return an artifact of enchantment from graveyard to hand

U, T: Draw 3, then put two back on top of library

B, T, sacrifice: Search your library for any one card. Reveal it, put it into your hand

R, T: Deal 3 to target creature or player

G, T: Search for basic land, put on battlefield tapped

rCIZZLE

Crystal Metropolis

U, T: Draw 3, then put two back on top of library

B, T, sacrifice: Search your library for any one card. Reveal it, put it into your hand

R, T: Return an artifact of enchantment from graveyard to hand

G, T: Search for basic land, put on battlefield tapped

White confirmed worst color.

Angry Grimace

I can't wait until Elspeth returns as a BW zombiewalker.

Grakl

Crystal Metropolis

W, untap: Return an artifact of enchantment from graveyard to hand

U, untap: Draw 3, then put two back on top of library

B, untap, sacrifice: Search your library for any one card. Reveal it, put it into your hand

R, untap: Deal 3 to target creature or player

G, untap: Search for basic land, put on battlefield tapped

there we go

ultron87

Make it a call back and have it tap for any part of the boon cycle. So you can Healing Salve or Ancestral.

On that note, I've always wondered if there was a White card that could be designed using the number 3 that fits more appropriately in the company of the other parts of that cycle. Like it doesn't need to be at Ancestral Recall power level but it should at least compare favorably in terms of design/power to Giant Growth, Bolt, and Dark Ritual.

OnPoint

Make it a call back and have it tap for any part of the boon cycle. So you can Healing Salve or Ancestral.

On that note, I've always wondered if there was a White card that could be designed using the number 3 that fits more appropriately in the company of the other parts of that cycle. Like it doesn't need to be at Ancestral Recall power level but it should at least compare favorably in terms of design/power to Giant Growth, Bolt, and Dark Ritual.

I specifically avoided most of the boon cycle because Giant Growth and Healing Salve (lol) were so terrible. White was the hardest one to come up with... I thought about Stoneforge on it, but that would be freaking crazy powerful. I also thought putting Dark Ritual on a land was probably incredibly broken, though Brainstorm is probably equally if not more broken... I wanted the card to be broken, but seem like it was something Wizards would actually do.

Angry Grimace

Put three 1/1 Spirit tokens on the battlefield, then exile them at the end of turn. That's kind of red now, though

ultron87

I specifically avoided most of the boon cycle because Giant Growth and Healing Salve (lol) were so terrible. White was the hardest one to come up with... I thought about Stoneforge on it, but that would be freaking crazy powerful. I also thought putting Dark Ritual on a land was probably incredibly broken, though Brainstorm is probably equally if not more broken... I wanted the card to be broken, but seem like it was something Wizards would actually do.

Even though Giant Growth isn't at Bolt or Ritual level I've always really liked it as a part of that cycle. It is such a good card for teaching and showing a lot of what makes Magic great. When someone first sees it they just go "he gets +3/+3 and attacks!" Then they realize they can do it after blocks to snap off a blocker. Then they realize they can do it in response to a Lightning Bolt.

Put three 1/1 Spirit tokens on the battlefield, then exile them at the end of turn. That's kind of red now, though

Ooh I like that. Maybe soldiers instead that stick around like Raise the Alarm? That's still in white.

Angry Grimace

Even though Giant Growth isn't at Bolt or Ritual level I've always really liked it as a part of that cycle. It is such a good card for teaching and showing a lot of what makes Magic great. When someone first sees it they just go "he gets +3/+3 and attacks!" Then they realize they can do it after blocks to snap off a blocker. Then they realize they can do it in response to a Lightning Bolt.

Ooh I like that. Maybe soldiers instead that stick around like Raise the Alarm? That's still in white.

I thought of that, but three 1/1s for W would be pretty overpowered. I like the exile at end of turn in that idea because its a valid combat trick that doesn't give you too much advantage, since it either does three damage if they don't get blocked (let's say they have haste), which is the same as lightning bolt, or it chumps three different attackers

Angry Grimace

So Vintage Masters queues will be firing from launch until Khans of Tarkir goes up in MTGO. That's about four months.

Angry Grimace

Sweet! I've made a conscious decision to refrain from doing too many JBT drafts online - I'm saving money so I can just spew value on Vintage Masters drafts.

Constructed Legacy and Vintage events will also start paying in VM packs, as well.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

Return target creature with CMC 3 or less from your graveyard to your hand? Eh, I guess that's more black

Karakand

That Transition to "mostly online" Legacy?

It's happening now. It's no longer a theory.

The way Pauper has been left to rot (getting rid of dailies after the great MODO meltdown) is cause for concern for any fan of a mostly / soon to be mostly online format.

rCIZZLE

I'm so close to sending in my goyfs, extra fetches, and random modern staples in for mtgo tickets. Already play a ton of modern on there but I would definitely jump all over legacy if they started handing out non-theros packs for dailies. Just wish wastelands weren't so damn expensive.

Angry Grimace

I'm so close to sending in my goyfs, extra fetches, and random modern staples in for mtgo tickets. Already play a ton of modern on there but I would definitely jump all over legacy if they started handing out non-theros packs for dailies. Just wish wastelands weren't so damn expensive.

I would be shocked if Wasteland wasn't in VM.

Um. WUT.

BoCaUvKCcAA-Qa0.jpg

kirblar

The way Pauper has been left to rot (getting rid of dailies after the great MODO meltdown) is cause for concern for any fan of a mostly / soon to be mostly online format.
Because it's a fake format that actively keeps people from buying new cards.
lol why? You need that stuff for Legacy too! And the extra fetches will jump if/when Modern season comes online, not to mention the Legacy/Vintage demand.

rCIZZLE

Because it's a fake format that actively keeps people from buying new cards.

lol why? You need that stuff for Legacy too! And the extra fetches will jump if/when Modern season comes online, not to mention the Legacy/Vintage demand.

Talking about trading in paper for online. Just don't play enough paper legacy to really justify having all of these cards and I can't see myself deviating from scapeshift in modern for awhile.

I don't really follow, sorry. People who play Pauper don't buy new cards?

They don't buy packs. They don't do anything that contributes to the part of the economy that Wizards can profit from. Other eternal formats still help drive demand for new product; pauper players just take scraps from new packs.

For the record, I like the idea that pauper exists. It's a sweet format. I just think it has served its purpose at this point - it was only ever created to push the narrative that MTGO can be affordable. Price is no longer the thing that keeps people from investing in MTGO, so there isn't a lot of value in supporting the format.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Welp. The upcoming Vintage Masters release was finally enough to get me to bite the bullet and create an MTGO account.

A lot cheaper than paper cards, so that's a win at least.

Welp. The upcoming Vintage Masters release was finally enough to get me to bite the bullet and create an MTGO account.

A lot cheaper than paper cards, so that's a win at least.

You'll find the convenience of drafting/playing in your underpants at 2 am on any given day will cost you more than paper does.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
You'll find the convenience of drafting/playing in your underpants at 2 am on any given day will cost you more than paper does.

My best friend/main MTG partner just moved out of town, too. So, it beats playing with paper cards and a dual webcam setup over Skype.

However, having played a fair bit of Hearthstone, it's pretty clear that the MTGO client is a piece of crap.

Haly

I once duo queued at 3AM during finals week in my boxer-briefs.

It was not my finest moment.

Top Bottom