• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

My best friend/main MTG partner just moved out of town, too. So, it beats playing with paper cards and a dual webcam setup over Skype.

However, having played a fair bit of Hearthstone, it's pretty clear that the MTGO client is a piece of crap.

Polish aside, I don't know how you can make MTGO a smoother experience. Priority makes it too awkward to handle nicely. See, in Hearthstone it's easy peasy. You move, I move, no chance to do anything at all in between

An-Det

Went 3-1 in Legacy tonight playing BUG Delver, beating Sneak and Show, UB Tezz, and the mirror, and losing to Lands. As much as I miss Punishing Fire at times, I really do like this deck.

So Vintage Masters queues will be firing from launch until Khans of Tarkir goes up in MTGO. That's about four months.

That's fantastic, way better than I was expecting, no there's no need to cram in a million drafts in what I expected to be just a few weeks. Will also mean the prices wont be too crazy on even Power, at least to start.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Went 3-1 in Legacy tonight playing BUG Delver, beating Sneak and Show, UB Tezz, and the mirror, and losing to Lands. As much as I miss Punishing Fire at times, I really do like this deck.

That's fantastic, way better than I was expecting, no there's no need to cram in a million drafts in what I expected to be just a few weeks. Will also mean the prices wont be too crazy on even Power, at least to start.

I can already hear the howls of people who speculated on Masters Edition Force of Wills, which probably are dropping by the second.

S6ey8hP.png

kirblar

Oh, WOW @ Misdirection/Exploration getting rare reprints in Conspiracy.
I can already hear the howls of people who speculated on Masters Edition Force of Wills, which probably are dropping by the second.
It's pretty clear Worth's faction just lost a massive internal battle over how to handle older formats online.

I want nothing more than to draft Worldknit now. Just take it, draft every good card you see, then grab a handful of random basic lands.

It should also read "Start the game with a giant target on your head."

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

It's pretty clear Worth's faction just lost a massive internal battle over how to handle older formats online.

Misdirection totally fits the flavor of Conspiracy, though.

Don't forget:

QfnyMjX.jpg

bigkrev

Was he the guy that said FoW was the only card on the MTGO Reserved List or something?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Rule Q: Can you play Decimate without a target for all the clauses?

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Polish aside, I don't know how you can make MTGO a smoother experience. Priority makes it too awkward to handle nicely. See, in Hearthstone it's easy peasy. You move, I move, no chance to do anything at all in between

More from a UI/design standpoint. Lots of awkward layout choices and poor use of real estate. Granted, you're right that Hearthstone is a game that was designed from the ground up to be played on screens, so it has a big advantage there.

ultron87

So broken in cube. All the cards are theoretically good so you're not putting draft chaff in your deck and you don't have to use a single pick on mana fixing.

Lmfao, just derp draft, it'll work out so well. This is such a powerhouse in cube. All your sideboard cards are good!

I'm still going back-and-forth on whether or not to include Conspiracies in my cube. Mine doesn't have rares, so these aren't an option, but even if they were, this one might just be too good.

ultron87

Though I guess you'd still probably grab some lands. Because you'd want to try and keep your deck size down and every land you grab gets you one closer to starting at 45.

Angry Grimace

So broken in cube. All the cards are theoretically good so you're not putting draft chaff in your deck and you don't have to use a single pick on mana fixing.

Nobody would put that in a cube though unless they wanted one guy to just draft "I win" cards.

When they design cards for casual formats, I get the sense that they try a little too hard.

What you're seeing is what happens when designers suddenly have wide-open design space in front of them that they haven't had before. It's not that they're trying too hard, it's that nobody has done it before and they don't know what works and what doesn't. So they make something fun and splashy, because why not!

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
And it's so refreshing to see it, too. I'm more than a little bored with MaRo and the rest of the team talking about how they're too scared to do cool thing X, or why card Y was nerfed, especially when it's a mythic. They may not ever let go of their fear of making awesome things, but maybe if Conspiracy shows that enough people want different and interesting takes on cards, they'll loosen up on the formula they thing they've perfected.

Imma do my part and buy at least 2 boxes of Conspiracy.

What you're seeing is what happens when designers suddenly have wide-open design space in front of them that they haven't had before. It's not that they're trying too hard, it's that nobody has done it before and they don't know what works and what doesn't. So they make something fun and splashy, because why not!

R&D were so preoccupied with whether or not they could that they didn't stop to think if they should.

It seems more and more often that there's at least one card a set that makes me go 'they went there, huh?'

I understand the need for risk in design. I lived through Mercadian Masques. But some stuff is just a little on the nose and a little too neat in it's brutality.

Angry Grimace

And it's so refreshing to see it, too. I'm more than a little bored with MaRo and the rest of the team talking about how they're too scared to do cool thing X, or why card Y was nerfed, especially when it's a mythic. They may not ever let go of their fear of making awesome things, but maybe if Conspiracy shows that enough people want different and interesting takes on cards, they'll loosen up on the formula they thing they've perfected.

Imma do my part and buy at least 2 boxes of Conspiracy.

Broken cards aren't fun to play against.

kirblar

R&D were so preoccupied with whether or not they could that they didn't stop to think if they should.

It seems more and more often that there's at least one card a set that makes me go 'they went there, huh?'

I understand the need for risk in design. I lived through Mercadian Masques. But some stuff is just a little on the nose and a little too neat in it's brutality.
Tom LaPille sets have a massive problem with "We wanted this to see play, so we just hacked 2 mana off what the casting cost should be."

Angry Grimace

Am I the only one who doesn't give two shits about Conspiracy? Gimme Vintage Masters and more info about the dragon block.

I'm never going to play it outside of the cards that end up in Vintage Masters. Multi-player games are usually a chore.

Carcetti

Thanks a lot, Ultron87, bigkrev and f0rk (and anyone I missed to mention) That was exactly the sort advice I was looking for.

Do you know what format your friends are playing

I just assume they have all the newest stuff I don't have since I've never seen any of the stuff they use. We don't play by any sort of rules. One of them has like 10 different decks including stuff like 100 cards decks with just 1 of every card and rare stuff in them.

Am I the only one who doesn't give two shits about Conspiracy? Gimme Vintage Masters and more info about the dragon block.

I'd give a shit about it if I thought I'd ever draft it. I haven't stepped into a LGS since 2002, so if it's not online, it's not something I'll ever see. I suppose it's good that it seems like all the printable cards will be shoehorned into Vintage Masters, but that doesn't stop me from looking lustily at all the cards designed with draft in mind.

Thanks a lot, Ultron87, bigkrev and f0rk (and anyone I missed to mention) That was exactly the sort advice I was looking for.

I just assume they have all the newest stuff I don't have since I've never seen any of the stuff they use. We don't play by any sort of rules. One of them has like 10 different decks including stuff like 100 cards decks with just 1 of every card and rare stuff in them.

Those 100 card singleton decks are for Commander / EDH. Check into it, you may like it!

The Adder

Banned
Doesn't Worldknit require you to use every single card you. raft? Even assuming you managed to draft 4 other conspiracies, you'd still be playing with a 50-60 card deck with no consistency because you need lands, right?

It's still really good, but doesn't that make it a lot less good?

ultron87

Doesn't Worldknit require you to use every single card you. raft? Even assuming you managed to draft 4 other conspiracies, you'd still be playing with a 50-60 card deck with no consistency because you need lands, right?

It's still really good, but doesn't that make it a lot less good?

In a normal draft it forces you to play with 14th and 15th pick junk so that's definitely a handicap. So even if you're taking the best card out of every pack regardless of color you're still playing some pretty terrible cards for the benefit of a free Chromantic Lantern.

In a Cube, where the late pack picks should generally still be quite playable and there are a ton of incredibly powerful cards to scoop up it is sooo broken.

y2dvd

Will Conspiracy be just as expensive to draft as Modern Masters? I wanna draft the heck outta it, but dang MM was so pricey.

bigkrev

Will Conspiracy be just as expensive to draft as Modern Masters? I wanna draft the heck outta it, but dang MM was so pricey.

This isn't a limited print run item like MM, and the demand for the legacy/cube cards is probably going to be less than the demand for Modern cards.

Have they announced if this will be sold at stores like Walmart/Target?

OnPoint

This isn't a limited print run item like MM, and the demand for the legacy/cube cards is probably going to be less than the demand for Modern cards.

Have they announced if this will be sold at stores like Walmart/Target?

I hope to god they don't shortchange it. There's a lot of cool stuff in it.

I feel like a lot of groups will do one draft of this set and that's it. It will probably still sell decently due to reprints and for people with cubes to get conspiracies and stuff.

Will definitely sell better than the "Un-" sets, even after accounting for the growth of the player base.

OnPoint

I feel like a lot of groups will do one draft of this set and that's it. It will probably still sell decently due to reprints and for people with cubes to get conspiracies and stuff.

Will definitely sell better than the "Un-" sets, even after accounting for the growth of the player base.

Feels like it would have been the perfect place to sneak in wacky full art lands. Damn it.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

Do we know what MSRP is yet?

Top Bottom