• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
All I play is cube draft, and FFA commander. Since casual MTGO players are all sensitive babies, I have to exercise my sadistic side somehow. I miss the days when I played paper and my tourney decks consisted of mostly draw-go, counterhammer, Wildfire, or 'Geddon decks.

I just remember casting lighting bolts and playing wurms and dual lands being less sought after than Serra Angels.

Firemind

If your land base has a good number of duals (and I hope it does because of all the UU and BB cards in here), I'd cut Looter il-Kor. That guy always underperforms for me.

If you're almost all basics, cut Sinkhole and pray to the mana gods that you're able to cast your spells on time

Looter il-Kor overperforms every time for me in tempo-oriented decks.

Deathrite Shaman literally does nothing.

WanderingWind

This is fun. Somebody else do one.

EDIT: My thoughts were Sinkhole first, due to the needing double black pretty quick for it to be worth a damn (outside some fringe Maze lockout) or Shaman. It does something, but without green, it's still probably the weakest thing. If they're playing any sort of fetch heavy deck or something, it'd be super nice.

Firemind

You can always discard it with looter or shuffle it away with clique.

The upside of basically instantly winning the game by blowing up a karoo is too great in my opinion. And people play them quite often in my experience.

Let's hypothetically say Sinkhole was Hymn to Tourach? Would you still have cut it?

WanderingWind

The upside of basically instantly winning the game by blowing up a karoo is too great in my opinion. And people play them quite often in my experience.

Let's hypothetically say Sinkhole was Hymn to Tourach? Would you still have cut it?

Shit no. But Tourach is almost always going to do something for you, Sinkhole may, or may not. Probably will, but Tourach turn 2 is normally just as awesome as it it turn 6. Sinkhole, not so much.

EDIT: What's Karoo...cause it sure as heck ain't this. http://gatherer.wizards.com/pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=3753

Probably. The deck feels like it needs another creature at 3 or 4 mana to me.

EDIT: What's Karoo...cause it sure as heck ain't this. http://gatherer.wizards.com/pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=3753

Azorius Chancery, et al.

Firemind

I don't think I ever lost a game after Stone Raining a karoo. One time I blew up a Lake of the Dead against a storm player. Felt good man. Why can't they reprint Stone Rain anymore? :lol

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
lol
tumblr_n68ljdUviI1qjqvxao1_500.jpg

Firemind

I hate that they're trying to force midrange crap down our throats.

I swear if they reprint Rampant Growth and/or Thragtusk I will ragequit.

ultron87

That might be the first time I've ever heard someone complain about Rampant Growth.

I assume just because you feel there's enough rampy stuff to get people to 4 or 5 mana already?

Firemind

Rampant Growth/Farseek/Nature's Lore w/e

Midrange is already going to be dumb with the 0/3 hexproof wall and 2/4 centaur after Supreme Verdict rotates out. See: Pro Tour Journey Into Nyx

bigkrev

Rampant Growth/Farseek/Nature's Lore w/e

Midrange is already going to be dumb with the 0/3 hexproof wall and 2/4 centaur after Supreme Verdict rotates out. See: Pro Tour Journey Into Nyx

I assume we will have a 4 mana Wrath effect in either Fall set or M15.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I think they are done printing "bury" effects.... I'm just guessing a Day of Judgement reprint in M15 honestly
Yeah, I think Maro said a while back that a couple years ago they looked at all the "can't be regenerated clauses" and were like "...why are we doing this? Its not like regeneration is that powerful, why are we consistently hosing the few times it would be useful?"

kirblar

Yeah, I think Maro said a while back that a couple years ago they looked at all the "can't be regenerated clauses" and were like "...why are we doing this? Its not like regeneration is that powerful, why are we consistently hosing the few times it would be useful?"
There's one in M15 but it's a 5 mana bury.

kirblar

I'm fine with Bury being something that actually has a value assigned to it, but I think that 2 mana is way too much to be paying- something like .5-1 mana makes more sense.
It's common instant-speed removal. Putrefy is at 3cc and in Standard already (but I suspect they probably didn't really want that rider... but didn't want to make a NuPutrefy.)

f0rk

I'm fine with Bury being something that actually has a value assigned to it, but I think that 2 mana is way too much to be paying- something like .5-1 mana makes more sense.

As kirblar says I imagine that 5 mana cost has more to do with limited than constructed.

OnPoint

Damnation would be a fine reprint despite the bury effect, especially since the bury effect is largely a black ability now anyway. It's overdue for a reprint anyway, so I'll keep hoping.

kirblar

I don't think Murder, at 1BB was "too good" for common in M14.
M14 was one of the worst designed/developed limited formats in a very, very long time.

When you try new things and fail (AVR) its understandable. When you make a core set where "DRAFT BLUE ALWAYS" is the key to winning games, you have a problem.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Goddamn it MTGO

I accidentally murdered my own guy with King Macar because I wasn't entirely sure how to not use his Inspired trigger.

This is fun. Somebody else do one.
I have no idea what I'm doing. 41 cards:

tGP8E7W.jpg

I'm really pissed that I had to choose between unburial rites and a card that actually sticks things in the graveyard. I guess I'm just trying to ramp into my big duders then protect them with lightning greaves/token generators + eldrazi monument

bigkrev

M14 was one of the worst designed/developed limited formats in a very, very long time.

When you try new things and fail (AVR) its understandable. When you make a core set where "DRAFT BLUE ALWAYS" is the key to winning games, you have a problem.

....but those are the best sets! SEE ALSO: M11

WanderingWind

Oh man, Grislebro, Angel of Fuck Your Emrakul and Wurmcoil, with reanimation spells...

Drool.

Still, Crucible of Worlds does nothing here, unless I'm not seeing something. That's my pick!

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
My friend just gave me a box of old Onslaught era cards. Now to sort through them.

No, I didn't rip him off. I told him how much the cards I saw were worth.

Crocodile

Well, it's a cube draft, so you kinda have a limited pool. Horror and Prowler add some damage quick. Not sure what Damnation being in the deck has anything to do with anything. It's a one off board wipe and eventually, you're still going to need to attack the other dude. Guess I should post the rest of the pool next time :p

Well I don't know what picks you made, what cards were in the packs, what's in your sideboard or what cards are even in the Cube so making critiques can be a bit though. If you are playing cards in a deck that are in direct strategic opposition to each other in your final deck (like say a wrath in the same deck as aggressive weenies), something went wrong (you made bad picks, you got cut in your colors, etc.). Since this is clearly a draft from CubeTutor I imagine you drafted with bots? That can result in weird signals and what not. Cube is essentially about drafting redundant constructed decks, you get to be a lot more self selective (in fact you have to be to do well). If you have absolutely no choice but to run this configuration so be it but I would be actively annoyed because some of the cards are actively suboptimal in this configuration :(

P.S. This is true in regular booster draft formats as well - you have to "draft with a plan", not just a bunch of cards. Not all cards in a color are created equal and cards in the same color often don't go in the same deck.

Murder was in M13 (i.e. one of the better Core Sets for draft) not M14. Then again my win rate in M14 limited was CRAZY high so I guess I can't complain too much :p

On a side note, they say they don't like Bury effects but they sure do love reprinting cards with bury on them and they have made more new cards with bury in them recently than in a long while :p

Best set for EV and leveraging knowledge advantage tends to be diametrically opposed to best set for fun.

Fun for who :p You say this like its some kind of fact or something but fun is super subjective. Like I agree Time Spiral might be though for a new player (though it was the first format I drafted and I thought it was sweet) but that's not the same as out and out unfun. Are you trying to say only formats where its markedly more difficult for the better play to win are the most fun? I'm not sure I totally understand your point.

kirblar

I think Regenerate is getting a mechanical update in M15. It's obviously still in, and it's by far the clunkiest of the normal creature mechanics.
Fun for who :p You say this like its some kind of fact or something but fun is super subjective. Like I agree Time Spiral might be though for a new player (though it was the first format I drafted and I thought it was sweet) but that's not the same as out and out unfun. Are you trying to say only formats where its markedly more difficult for the better play to win are the most fun? I'm not sure I totally understand your point.
The formats where you can get a massive skill edge tend to be really unintuitive and lean towards being annoying to play.

These are the ones where the "obvious" options are actually bad.

Oh man, Grislebro, Angel of Fuck Your Emrakul and Wurmcoil, with reanimation spells...

Drool.

Still, Crucible of Worlds does nothing here, unless I'm not seeing something. That's my pick!

Yeah, I only have the one reanimation spell but six awesome sources of ramp and crucible makes sure I keep getting land drops on time so I'm not too sad about not getting a thoughtseize or whatever to dump my bombs into the graveyard. Still an awesome source of recursion, obviously.

I mean there's even the nut draw turn 3 Wurmcoil/turn 4 Griselbrand/Angel potential, which is faster than the discard + unburial rites gameplan anyway.

Crocodile

The formats where you can get a massive skill edge tend to be really unintuitive and lean towards being annoying to play.

These are the ones where the "obvious" options are actually bad.

I don't think there was anything unintuitive about M14 draft. There were color balance issues (White was near unplayable and Blue was clearly the best even though I found the most success drafting permutations of Jund), speed issues and Slivers was a trap archetype (which is one example of the "obvious thing" being bad) but not what I'd call unintuitive overall. M14 was definitely better than M12 or M10 (I'm a bit hazy on how M11 compares to M14).

Top Bottom