• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

Karakand

Edit: Fire Blast is in. All is right in the world.

KTsG3pE.gif

Firemind

One time I did a Mirage block draft for funsies and I had to Fireblast a 1/1 on turn three to prevent Empyrial Armor from kicking my ass. Twice. I'm glad Empyrial Armor is in as well. And Elephant Guide. And Gaea's Embrace. And Armadillo Cloak. Vintage Masters will be a fun format.

I'm not sure how it works honestly, maybe someone else can clarify. I just know that silver and gold borders are not tourny legal, so it would have been an easy fix

That was Maro's explanation. It causes complications in the printing process that they didn't think were worth the hassle.

The more they keep talking about bringing leagues back to MTGO, the more (unrealistically) excited I get. Honestly, it shouldn't be that difficult to implement. There's no reason why they shouldn't be able to make it work; it's a shame that I have zero faith in what they can implement.

But MTGO leagues are exactly what I need in my life.

I wanna play MTGO just so I can draft all day, but I don't want to spend money on the same cards twice and I already enter like three drafts a week at various LGS.

rCIZZLE

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";113541484]I wanna play MTGO just so I can draft all day, but I don't want to spend money on the same cards twice and I already enter like three drafts a week at various LGS.[/QUOTE]

Honestly I get much, much more value out of my digital cards now than my paper ones. My modern deck is the only one I own digitally right now and I easily play 10 times as many matches online than in person.

Drafting is pretty terrible value though so you've got to either be really good or really love it to do it a lot online.

Drafting is pretty terrible value though so you've got to either be really good or really love it to do it a lot online.

Well I got both those bases covered so I'm not worried. As far as play time, I play all the time between four different LGSs, my cousins and my girlfriend. I also have friends that like to travel to all the GPs and such so I get a ton of good experience in both limited and Standard.

After some heartbreaking experience at 1Ks a couple months back, I'm finally back in the groove and I'm on a good win streak of drafts(I haven't been below top 2 in the past few months) and just won my first FNM after not playing Standard in forever so I'm hoping to make the trip with one of my friends to a major tournament and see if any of that experience transfers over.

New Mothership feature article has a summary of the Godsend story, but the interesting part is that there is new art, including art of
Heliod stabbing Elspeth
. Does that mean we're getting a card depicting that in an upcoming set, or will it be alternate art for one of the existing cards?

Answered here. It turns out they decided to start commissioning art for major story points, even if they won't appear on cards.

Can you on the stack cause the other player to sac a creature before the huntnaster gets his token?

Can you be more specific? What do you mean sac a creature? As in kill huntmaster?

Once the huntmaster trigger goes on the stack you cannot prevent it from happening short of a Stifle or Sundial of the Infinite. If the trigger is on the stack and huntmaster dies, the token still comes down.

I.E. you can respond to the wolf token trigger with a doom blade killing huntmaster, but the wolf token still comes into play.

ultron87

Can you on the stack cause the other player to sac a creature before the huntnaster gets his token?
Yes. You can respond to the Huntmasters trigger with a spell like Devour Flesh and, if it is their only creature, they will have to sacrifice the Huntmaster. They will still get the token when that trigger resolves.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
If you mean you want to force them to sacrifice Huntmaster before they would be able to choose to sacrifice the token, then yes. It is a triggered ability, and therefore uses the stack.

Huntmaster is weird. It has two triggers:

"If no spells were cast last turn, transform Huntmaster." If you kill Huntmaster before this resolves, it just dies.

"When Huntmaster transforms, do something." If you kill Huntmaster before this resolves, the effect still happens.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";113541484]I wanna play MTGO just so I can draft all day, but I don't want to spend money on the same cards twice and I already enter like three drafts a week at various LGS.[/QUOTE]

Hope you have a really good job. Drafting on MTGO is very competitive. Even if you're "good," its not like you can actually just win all of them and go infinite.

Haly

Depends on if you're playing 8-4 or Swiss, and if you intend on keeping your pulls and building a collection.

Between moneydrafting and good Swiss scores, you can go pseudo-infinite in MTGO without being some kind of amazing drafter.

Depends on if you're playing 8-4 or Swiss, and if you intend on keeping your pulls and building a collection.

Between moneydrafting and good Swiss scores, you can go pseudo-infinite in MTGO without being some kind of amazing drafter.

That's what we call the "slow bleed." It's impossible to go infinite playing Swiss, but you get to the point where a draft costs you closer to $1-2 on average than $10-12.

I still believe that the "correct" prize format for a draft is is 5-3-2-2 Swiss. 3-0 gets 5, the player who lost in the finals gets 3, and the other two players who went 2-1 get 2. This keeps all players (other than the two 0-2 players in round three) in line for prizes through the end, and rewards all players who manage to post a winning record without putting an unfair emphasis on round one.

The super top-heavy prize structure of 8-4s just doesn't account for variance, unless you have a large bankroll which can absorb the variance and you draft a lot.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

That's just bleeding out slowly. I'm not a tremendous fan of Swiss mostly because I hate grinding out a single pack (that costs 2.3 tix from a bot) if I happen to draft miserably. I'm not a particularly good drafter, though.

I still think its a little too competitive to ever legitimately expect to go infinite.

Haly

That's what we call the "slow bleed." It's impossible to go infinite playing Swiss, but you get to the point where a draft costs you closer to $1-2 on average than $10-12.

Wouldn't this depend on the EV of the pack/packs?

Cost of Draft: 14 tix or 3 packs + 2 tix
Guaranteed Payout: 3 packs worth of cards
Variable Payout: 0-3 packs

If you go 3-0 and you sell the cards you draft for at least 2 tix, you can play another draft immediately. You won't be building much of a collection this way, but if all you want to do is draft then it's an easier to attain "infinite" than the magical 70% win rate 8-4 dream.

Besides, all the tryhards are in 8-4, Swiss is the home of moneydrafters and scrubs.

Wouldn't this depend on the EV of the pack/packs?

Cost of Draft: 14 tix or 3 packs + 2 tix
Guaranteed Payout: 3 packs worth of cards
Variable Payout: 0-3 packs

If you go 3-0 and you sell the cards you draft for at least 2 tix, you can play another draft immediately. You won't be building much of a collection this way, but if all you want to do is draft then it's an easier to attain "infinite" than the magical 70% win rate 8-4 dream.

Besides, all the tryhards are in 8-4, Swiss is the home of moneydrafters and scrubs.

It's impossible catch up in Swiss. If you literally never lose, sure, you could go infinite. But it is impossible to turn enough of a profit on any one draft to erase the loss of any other draft, meaning that your "profit over time" graph just keeps going down, even if it goes flat from time to time.

Haly

I'm having trouble making the math arrive at the conclusion you gave me.

3 packs + 2 tix in
3 packs + 0-3 packs out

As long as packs are worth at least 2 tix, and you manage a 50% win rate, over a long enough time you will be coming out ahead.

I mean, I understand that, practically speaking, going infinite in Swiss isn't going to happen anytime soon, but I don't understand why it's "impossible".

rCIZZLE

Even if you 3-0 every single swiss draft you're still down the 2 ticket entry. You need to 3-0 every draft AND pull 2 tickets worth of value to break even.

I'm having trouble making the math arrive at the conclusion you gave me.

3 packs + 2 tix in
3 packs + 0-3 packs out

As long as packs are worth at least 2 tix, and you manage a 50% win rate, over a long enough time you will be coming out ahead.

I mean, I understand that, practically speaking, going infinite in Swiss isn't going to happen anytime soon, but I don't understand why it's "impossible".

If I have a 50% win rate, I'm getting back out 1.5 packs. That means that the jank I opened in my three packs has to be worth (on average) 1.5 packs, plus two more tickets. That will never happen.

Haly

For any particular draft, sure, but the EV of a pack is typically in the 2-3 range, going up to 4 during the weeks after release.

You're already getting 3 packs worth of cards (effectively the EV of the packs if you always moneydraft), so you only need 2 more tix worth of cards to offset the cost of the draft.

EDIT: Okay, let me clarify. I don't mean to say that you're guaranteed to be able to afford your next draft immediately after doing your current draft. What I mean is, if the EV of a pack is actually >2, then over a long enough time you're making back what you're putting in and a little more.

Haly

Um, no? Not even close? Try closer to 0.5. And the EV of the pack goes down after release, not up.

I meant to say the typical EV of a pack is low throughout most of its life, and only high immediately after release, my wording was bad.

And if the EV of packs is 0.5 then the bots are gouging the shit out us. I never did the math on pack EV, personally, I just assumed the bots were making their usual 25%-30% profit.

rCIZZLE

I meant to say the typical EV of a pack is low throughout most of its life, and only high immediately after release, my wording was bad.

And if the EV of packs is 0.5 then the bots are gouging the shit out us.

Packs are only worth ~3 because of being used in drafts and sealed. Cracking packs on mtgo is like burning money.

And if the EV of packs is 0.5 then the bots are gouging the shit out us. I never did the math on pack EV, personally, I just assumed the bots were making their usual 25%-30% profit.

There is absurdly more supply than demand for all cards save for certain chase rares and mythics on MTGO, thanks to people drafting day in and day out.

EDIT: In fact, if it wasn't for set redemption, even the mythics would be dirt cheap.

Hope you have a really good job. Drafting on MTGO is very competitive. Even if you're "good," its not like you can actually just win all of them and go infinite.

Who cares about going infinite? Even when I win drafts at my store I have to pay for the next one every time.

But every time I want to play MTGO it starts sounding really annoying. How much does a draft cost? It's 11 bucks here for a 4-3-2-2 draft.

lupin23rd

Random rules question from a casual game night with a few friends last night.

My opponent attacked with a horde of creatures after dropping some artifact that pumped up all his creatures, and the only blocker I had was a Goblin Arsonist.

His unblocked creatures can do enough damage to kill me, but he is also at 1 life.

Based on the rules of how death happens, do I die once all damage is assigned, or does that not happen until the resolution of the the ability triggered by the death of the Goblin Arsonist, which allows me to do one damage to my opponent, effectively causing a draw?

Pretty sure I lose, but was curious how this plays out. I remember back when I played seriously, you didn't die until the end of a phase or something, but it seems to have changed from Sixth edition.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";113577862]But every time I want to play MTGO it starts sounding really annoying. How much does a draft cost? It's 11 bucks here for a 4-3-2-2 draft.[/QUOTE]

In general, it costs the same to draft online as it does to draft in paper, but the online cards are worth dick compared to the paper cards. Hence everyone's obession with "going infinite." The only "value" you get are the prize packs, which can be rolled into the next draft (unlike your local store, which makes you buy fresh packs every time). To "go infinite," you need to average over three prize packs per draft.

Yeef

Game loss from 0 or less life is a state-based action. It's checked before the Goblin Arsonist's ability is even put on the stack.

Random rules question from a casual game night with a few friends last night.

My opponent attacked with a horde of creatures after dropping some artifact that pumped up all his creatures, and the only blocker I had was a Goblin Arsonist.

His unblocked creatures can do enough damage to kill me, but he is also at 1 life.

Based on the rules of how death happens, do I die once all damage is assigned, or does that not happen until the resolution of the the ability triggered by the death of the Goblin Arsonist, which allows me to do one damage to my opponent, effectively causing a draw?

Pretty sure I lose, but was curious how this plays out. I remember back when I played seriously, you didn't die until the end of a phase or something, but it seems to have changed from Sixth edition.

Indeed, you lose as soon as the damage is dealt to you. All of the attacking creatures deal damage to you and the Goblin Arsonist at the same time, and before Goblin Arsonist's death trigger could go onto the stack, you lose.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";113577862]Who cares about going infinite? Even when I win drafts at my store I have to pay for the next one every time.

But every time I want to play MTGO it starts sounding really annoying. How much does a draft cost? It's 11 bucks here for a 4-3-2-2 draft.[/QUOTE]

~Its generally around 11-12. You buy the packs from a bot for about 9.5 tix plus the 2 ticket entry fee.

Angry Grimace

In general, it costs the same to draft online as it does to draft in paper, but the online cards are worth dick compared to the paper cards.

In general its true, but I tend to enjoy the fact that you can build a lot of constructed decks for cheap. But some cards are still expensive as all fuck online - I sold a foil Elspeth I pulled in a sealed event for 40 tickets to some guy.

Angry Grimace

I assume people want foils on MTGO because they want to redeem them, right? Because that graphical effect is dumb.

The guy I sold it to (hint: never sell foils to bots, they give you dick for value) explicitly said it was because it was pretty. Maybe he was creepier than I thought and was talking about Elspeth, though.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
HELP!

Okay, so I cast a Psychic Intrusion targeting a tutor, then snapcaster the intrusion targeting a tribute to hunger. Since both cards are still exiled with Intrusion, can I cast either of them, or just the last one that was chosen off the flashback?

kirblar

HELP!

Okay, so I cast a Psychic Intrusion targeting a tutor, then snapcaster the intrusion targeting a tribute to hunger. Since both cards are still exiled with Intrusion, can I cast either of them, or just the last one that was chosen off the flashback?
It's two separate casts, therefore two separate exiled cards you can cast.

I don't know. The whole ticket process and learning the interface seems really annoying to me. Maybe I'll just stick to offline since I'm lucky enough to have plenty of options.

Firemind

Cube is amazing tho.

But yeah, I didn't use MTGO until a year ago, because I couldn't combine my late working hours with FNM. I'd rather play live with physical cards, but what can you do. If you can keep participating in FNMs, game days, prereleases etc., I would definitely urge you to do that instead of wasting time and money on digital cards.

kirblar

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";113640586]I don't know. The whole ticket process and learning the interface seems really annoying to me. Maybe I'll just stick to offline since I'm lucky enough to have plenty of options.[/QUOTE]
Offline = good for sanity.

Also keeps you from getting "MTGO privilege" where you can't stand shuffling anymore. :p

Haly

Or keeping track of the stack, or doing your storm count, or floating mana.

Top Bottom