• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

bigkrev

I don't think there was anything unintuitive about M14 draft. There were color balance issues (White was near unplayable and Blue was clearly the best even though I found the most success drafting permutations of Jund), speed issues and Slivers was a trap archetype (which is one example of the "obvious thing" being bad) but not what I'd call unintuitive overall. M14 was definitely better than M12 or M10 (I'm a bit hazy on how M11 compares to M14).

Blue in M11 was roughly as strong as Black in triple Torment.

This cube thingy is pretty fun so I tried another with a new archetype. 41 cards, what's the cut? Fuse card on the top is Fire // Ice.

GQBYn2z.jpg

I hope I didn't make it too easy.

Crocodile

Blue in M11 was roughly as strong as Black in triple Torment.

Yeah, I'm getting flashbacks of Azure Drake and Forsee rocking it up LOL

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";113821588]This cube thingy is pretty fun so I tried another with a new archetype. 41 cards, what's the cut? Fuse card on the top is Fire // Ice.

GQBYn2z.jpg

I hope I didn't make it too easy.[/QUOTE]

A) What's in your Sideboard?

B) What Cube List are you using?

B) Cut Lotus Bloom

Frank Karsten's limited pick list. Basically, "force blue/green."

Pick order articles are only good for making arguments, and from there only good for first picks. JBT isn't the most synergy-oriented set ever, but synergy is important, and your first pick can be hugely informative to future picks beyond color.

Plus, he ranked Satyr Grovedancer over Sigiled Starfish. Dat man crazy.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";113821588]This cube thingy is pretty fun so I tried another with a new archetype. 41 cards, what's the cut? Fuse card on the top is Fire // Ice.[/QUOTE]

It's not a fuse card. ;)

Sandfox

I'm thinking about getting back into the game(though I was never good in the first place) at a competitive level and I don't have any cards that will work in Standard. What would be a good product to start with if I wanted to put a deck together for FNM?

Firemind

I'm pretty sure Opt, Stifle, Volcanic Hammer, Staggershock, Act of Aggression, Vexing Devil, Giant Solifuge, Niv-Mizzet, and I believe even Fire // Ice were not part of the latest cube list updated with Born of the Gods.

Tibalt sure as hell shouldn't be near a cube list.

Niv Mizzet seems pretty bad in here. He's a 6-mana 4/4, with no combo-win potential and very little synergy with the rest of the deck.

Of course, every blue card you cut makes Force of Will a little bit worse. That's a tough one. I might have tried to go mono-red, really; blue doesn't add much to this deck.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I'm thinking about getting back into the game(though I was never good in the first place) at a competitive level and I don't have any cards that will work in Standard. What would be a good product to start with if I wanted to put a deck together for FNM?

I like the monoblack Event deck for Born of the Gods. It has quite a few cards which are played semi-commonly in the format.

Niv Mizzet seems pretty bad in here. He's a 6-mana 4/4, with no combo-win potential and very little synergy with the rest of the deck.

Of course, every blue card you cut makes Force of Will a little bit worse. That's a tough one. I might have tried to go mono-red, really; blue doesn't add much to this deck.

Niv Mizzet was my pick as well.

I couldn't get enough cards for mono-burn so I went counter-burn.

I'm pretty sure Opt, Stifle, Volcanic Hammer, Staggershock, Act of Aggression, Vexing Devil, Giant Solifuge, Niv-Mizzet, and I believe even Fire // Ice were not part of the latest cube list updated with Born of the Gods.

Tibalt sure as hell shouldn't be near a cube list.

I dunno, I'm just playing around on Bestiaire.

A W/R Burn deck that can beat every deck in the format can be put together for like 10 bucks, too.

Plus Mutavaults.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";113824588]Niv Mizzet was my pick as well.

I couldn't get enough cards for mono-burn so I went counter-burn.

I dunno, I'm just playing around on Bestiaire.

Plus Mutavaults.[/QUOTE]

Just don't run Mutavault. Will be just as good? No.

Link? I want to play Standard but don't want to acquire the cards. And I'm not trading Legacy stuff for Standard.

If you already have Mutavault (which I guess does see some Legacy play) then you can make the deck for real. Caution - this deck is really not as easy to play as you might think a Burn deck would be...

R/W Burn said:
Creatures (8)

4 Chandra's Phoenix
4 Eidolon of the Great Revel

Lands (23)

9 Mountain
2 Mana Confluence
4 Mutavault
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Temple of Triumph

Spells (29)

2 Chained to the Rocks
4 Boros Charm
4 Lightning Strike
4 Magma Jet
3 Searing Blood
2 Shock
4 Skullcrack
4 Warleader's Helix
2 Wild Guess

Sideboard
4 Firedrinker Satyr
2 Chained to the Rocks
1 Dictate of the Twin Gods
4 Satyr Firedancer
2 Wear
2 Act of Treason

I think if I want to draft journey born theros again I'll just buy 3 packs and punch myself in the dick. It'll be about as much fun. What a terrible set to learn to draft on.

I even had a decent deck. I wasn't even having fun when I was winning.

rCIZZLE

MJ streaming BG Rock all the time is inspiring me to buy Affinity and crush all the kids who are all copying that deck nowadays. Damn expensive Mox Opals. :\

Angry Grimace

Pick order articles are only good for making arguments, and from there only good for first picks. JBT isn't the most synergy-oriented set ever, but synergy is important, and your first pick can be hugely informative to future picks beyond color.

Plus, he ranked Satyr Grovedancer over Sigiled Starfish. Dat man crazy.

I actually attempted to just force blue/green and 3-0'd pretty easily. There's a lot of really good interactions even if you take the best available cards without any real attempt to create a particular archetype beyond "this deck is blue/green."

bigkrev

So, WOTC stealth announced a change to PWP and Byes last night (http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/other/05282014/PWP)

Gist of the changes are-
1.) Byes are now earned on an annual basis, instead of a seasonal basis. From June 2nd to May 31 2015, hitting either 1,300 PWP or 2,225 PWP will grant you 1 or 2 byes at all GPs for the remainder of the year
2.) The only way to earn a 3rd round bye, starting August 30th, is to either be Gold, Platinum, or a Hall of Famer
3.)The 1,000 pt bonus for winning a PTQ has been eliminated

ultron87

Were people actually routinely earning 3-round byes off the old system? Seemed like it required a ton of grinding, but I guess if you're PTQing most weekends or whatnot it'd happen.

bigkrev

If only they took the rest of the advice in that column, and made pro points scale with attendance.... The bye system change only makes it more difficult for players to get their first pro points, and that's a little bit sad.

I'd argue on the whole it's easier now to get that first bye than it was before

Lucario

I'd argue on the whole it's easier now to get that first bye than it was before

True, but the first bye was never really a problem for dedicated grinders. Making the bye system annual is definitely a good change.

WoTC still needs to fix pro point distribution in GPs.

y2dvd

Did a pauper cube draft last night which was a lot of fun. We only had 4 people so we did a Winchester draft which was interesting.

Speaking of blocks that I kind of missed during one of my Magic hiatuses (hiati?), I am trying to figure out what are the best couple of "extra" packs I should have on hand for a conspiracy draft party I'm having with some people. What would you guys want to open if you drafted a Lore Seeker that I could get for a reasonable price?

Angry Grimace

Fallen Empires, just so you can be annoying and Hymn to Tourach people

f0rk

Going to my first GP tomorrow. Probably won't day 2 block so going to grind some modern and try and get a result in the 1k on sunday.

Firemind

Block Constructed is fine, usually, except in the cases where there's a single card that completely warps the format (Jitte, Bloodbraid Elf, Puresteel Paladin). In Theros' case, it's Elspeth.

Had fond memories of Invasion Block Constructed and Time Spiral Block Constructed.

kirblar

Block Constructed is fine, usually, except in the cases where there's a single card that completely warps the format (Jitte, Bloodbraid Elf, Puresteel Paladin). In Theros' case, it's Elspeth.

Had fond memories of Invasion Block Constructed and Time Spiral Block Constructed.
Zvi's PT victory is still the gold standard for deck constriction. He walked in there as the only guy playing his deck and beat everyone.

inthrall

Agreed, though if it wasn't Elspeth it would be Prognostic Sphinx that would be just as hated

Top Bottom