• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

rCIZZLE

Alright, who from Magic-GAF is going to be at PAX.

I will be there.

I'll be at GP Pittsburgh that weekend. Was actually planning on going to PAX for the first time this year but it's just too expensive for me and a lot more of my friends were interested in/are going to the GP.

I like the idea of EDH, but in practice, it reminds me too much of UNO. Everyone messes around when it's their turn and it prolongs the game so much I can't get into it.

Now, I can understand you running through you deck with tons of mana, searching for cards via a tutor effect, etc. but that's not what I'm referring to.

Lucario

Grakl and I will be at PAX all three days, hopefully with the EDH cube in tow. Anyone interested in joining us for a game or two is more than welcome.

I like the idea of EDH, but in practice, it reminds me too much of UNO. Everyone messes around when it's their turn and it prolongs the game so much I can't get into it.

Now, I can understand you running through you deck with tons of mana, searching for cards via a tutor effect, etc. but that's not what I'm referring to.

Yeah. I'm missing my old store's playgroup (interaction EVERYWHERE, revised duals, people are very clear about what is and isn't encouraged) more and more.

I think the format has gotten stale to a point that we need to increase deck size, maybe to 200. That would make combo a lot less threatening while (hopefully) encouraging the masturbatory players to spend a few slots on control.

Jarate

Banned
Im gonna be at Pax all 3 days, although, ill probably get destroyed by you guys in magic.

If you ever want to find me, ill be the super huge guy with a mohawk.

Anybody see the events for magic? Which pnes will you guys take part in

bigkrev

Man, why does PAX east have to be in Boston? I'd be willing to go to New York, Philly, Baltimore or DC....

Also, had the random joy today of going through some old draft decks (I use old sleeves in my binder), and found a Stomping Grounds and 3 Boros Charms. Always sweet to find money you forgot about.

Lucario

Im gonna be at Pax all 3 days, although, ill probably get destroyed by you guys in magic.

If you ever want to find me, ill be the super huge guy with a mohawk.

Anybody see the events for magic? Which pnes will you guys take part in

I'll try to hit up the foil fest this year, the prizes were insane last time and I regretted missing out. Otherwise, dno, will probably just spend con downtime trading for cube goodies and playing casually.

ultron87

I'd be down for a Magic GAF meetup. If that involved cubing that'd be sweet as I've never gotten a chance to do that. I'll go to the panel and probably one of the Sealed with Standard Boosters events.

I'll try to hit up the foil fest this year, the prizes were insane last time and I regretted missing out. Otherwise, dno, will probably just spend con downtime trading for cube goodies and playing casually.

Were the promos you get to pick from for that really good? I didn't really know what to make of that event description.

bigkrev

They used to do those as public events at PT's- they called it "Super FNM", and they were offering not just the foil and pack payout, but anyone who 4-0'd could forgoe the packs and get free entry into the PTQ later that weekend.

I miss public events at PTs

Were the promos you get to pick from for that really good? I didn't really know what to make of that event description.

They have the last 4ish months of FNM foils available- you get the current month for entering, and each win gets you another foil from a previous month of your choice.

Lucario

We should get a game together for us few PAX-bound MTG GAFers. I mean it.

I really gotta shoot you my list for the one I just built. It's the most random deck ever. Group Hug to the max, but it has a few really strange win cons that are inconsistent to pull off.

Show meeee. I'm working on a weird chaos/Norin the Wary deck for tomorrow night, it's going pretty well :p

Grakl

Grakl and I will be at PAX all three days, hopefully with the EDH cube in tow. Anyone interested in joining us for a game or two is more than welcome.

Sup Magic-gaf. I lurk a lot, never post. I think I did once or twice in the old thread.

So, I'm researching some Standard RG builds, and almost all of them are running Volcanic Strength in the sideboard instead of Madcap Skills. Is that +2 on the back-end really that relevant?

So, I'm researching some Standard RG builds, and almost all of them are running Volcanic Strength in the sideboard instead of Madcap Skills. Is that +2 on the back-end really that relevant?

I would imagine it's very good with the amount of red removal being used. It would also make the creature more resilient in combat

Huh, I just assumed the "can't be blocked except by two or more creatures" would be relevant against more decks, but now that I think about it, just about everything is running red these days.

Gruul Aggro is kind of nuts right now. I have been running this list off a daily from 3/10 in 2 man queues and am running 10-2 with it. Only losses came against same guy running a bant midrange.

11 Mountain
4 Rootbound Crag
4 Stomping Ground
4 Ash Zealot
4 Boros Reckoner
4 Burning-Tree Emissary
4 Flinthoof Boar
2 Ghor-Clan Rampager
4 Lightning Mauler
4 Rakdos Cackler
4 Stromkirk Noble
4 Pillar of Flame
4 Rancor
3 Searing Spear

4 Domri Rade
3 Mizzium Mortars
4 Skullcrack
4 Volcanic Strength

Gruul Aggro is kind of nuts right now. I have been running this list off a daily from 3/10 in 2 man queues and am running 10-2 with it. Only losses came against same guy running a bant midrange.

11 Mountain
4 Rootbound Crag
4 Stomping Ground
4 Ash Zealot
4 Boros Reckoner
4 Burning-Tree Emissary
4 Flinthoof Boar
2 Ghor-Clan Rampager
4 Lightning Mauler
4 Rakdos Cackler
4 Stromkirk Noble
4 Pillar of Flame
4 Rancor
3 Searing Spear

4 Domri Rade
3 Mizzium Mortars
4 Skullcrack
4 Volcanic Strength
That's pretty close to the list I've been brewing, but I guess it's hard to get a deck like this wrong. How have the Domri Rades been working out? I ran 3 main-decked for awhile and I honestly am not impressed with him. At most I'll probably run 2 in the side.

He only gets brought in for the decks that still maindeck him, which seem to rapidly be declining.

I am going to toy a little bit with vexing devil over cackler. With lightning mauler around he may be a little bit stronger in the late game.

y2dvd

11 Mountain
4 Rootbound Crag
4 Stomping Ground
4 Ash Zealot
4 Boros Reckoner
4 Burning-Tree Emissary
4 Flinthoof Boar
2 Ghor-Clan Rampager
4 Lightning Mauler
4 Rakdos Cackler
4 Stromkirk Noble
4 Pillar of Flame
4 Rancor
3 Searing Spear

4 Domri Rade
3 Mizzium Mortars
4 Skullcrack
4 Volcanic Strength

Yeah, both my losses at FNM came to R/G aggro. Having a bunch of 2/2's and possibly a 3/3 swing at you by T3 is just so hard to deal with.

Mountainwalk is key over Madcap. Say they do have 2 creatures to block with. Your guy's defense is still probably weak. They can probably chump block with 2 creatures to trade with your guy. Volcanic Strength pumps up both power and defense and makes that creature unblockable. It's more likely to get in more dmg and survive burn spells.

I just wanted to make sure what I did was legal and I actually did it the right way.
So I used Deathlace on Deathgrip, so I could interrupt everyone's Black Spells. I didn't say anything like it only lasted once, so I took it to mean it was a permanent effect. Or did it just mean the cards color?

An-Det

I just wanted to make sure what I did was legal and I actually did it the right way.
So I used Deathlace on Deathgrip, so I could interrupt everyone's Black Spells. I didn't say anything like it only lasted once, so I took it to mean it was a permanent effect. Or did it just mean the cards color?

You're right that Deathlace is a permanent effect, but it wont let you counter black spells since it changes the color of the card, not the text within the ability. To do what you wanted would need something like Mind Bend.

You're right that Deathlace is a permanent effect, but it wont let you counter black spells since it changes the color of the card, not the text within the ability. To do what you wanted would need something like Mind Bend.

Well thank God I only did it this once. Are there any other type of cards like that for the other colors?

Yeef

Judging from today's arcana, it sounds like the next block will be announced Saturday, the 23rd at 1:30 PM during PAX east.

Does anyone have a list of the Sorin Vs Tibalt cards that are standard legal?

Ashmouth Hound
Gang of Devils
Goblin Arsonist
Hellrider
Mad Prophet
Skirsdag Cultist
Bump in the Night
Devil's Play
Faithless Looting
Geistflame
Tibalt, the Fiend-Blooded

Evolving Wilds
Doomed Traveler
Fiend Hunter
Mausoleum Guard
Phantom General
Vampire Nighthawk
Lingering Souls
Mark of the Vampire
Sorin, Lord of Innistrad

Judging from today's arcana, it sounds like the next block will be announced Saturday, the 23rd at 1:30 PM during PAX east.

Ashmouth Hound
Gang of Devils
Goblin Arsonist
Hellrider
Mad Prophet
Skirsdag Cultist
Bump in the Night
Devil's Play
Faithless Looting
Geistflame
Tibalt, the Fiend-Blooded

Evolving Wilds
Doomed Traveler
Fiend Hunter
Mausoleum Guard
Phantom General
Vampire Nighthawk
Lingering Souls
Mark of the Vampire
Sorin, Lord of Innistrad

Thank you sir

ultron87

Return to We're Just Doing Ravnica Again!

More reasonably, I'd like it to be some sort of plane hopping venture where Bolas' plan is coming to fruition or something else equally story dependent. It seems appropriate for the 20th Anniversary. Or a return to Dominaria. But I think they've already said it will be somewhere new.

And oh wow, there are way more Magic events at PAX than are on the main schedule: http://tjcollect.com/uploads/events/204_Pax East.pdf

Return to We're Just Doing Ravnica Again!

More reasonably, I'd like it to be some sort of plane hopping venture where Bolas' plan is coming to fruition or something else equally story dependent. It seems appropriate for the 20th Anniversary. Or a return to Dominaria. But I think they've already said it will be somewhere new.

And oh wow, there are way more Magic events at PAX than are on the main schedule: http://tjcollect.com/uploads/events/204_Pax East.pdf

I always assumed the core sets took place in Dominaria, though I think the designers intend for core sets to be setting agnostic, and M13 was explicitly set elsewhere.

Yeef

I always assumed the core sets took place in Dominaria, though I think the designers intend for core sets to be setting agnostic, and M13 was explicitly set elsewhere.
Different cards in the core set are from different planes. Odric, for example, is from Innistrad (he's got Avacyn's collar on his sword), but Yeva and Krenko are from Ravnica. Nefarox is from Alara, Talraand is from Shalanar, Elixir of Immortality is from Ulgrotha, etc.

Image.ashx

Image.ashx
Image.ashx

OnPoint

I want them to go back to Dominaria so badly. The Mirrodin story kind of carries the tale on, time spiral notwithstanding, but I just love the plane so much. It feels like home.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I doubt the next set will be a "return to" set, odds are it's a new setting. I suspect they'll alternate between new and old.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
So tonights project has been trying to make Master Biomancer into a usable card. So far it's been going pretty well.

Q0QI4mp.jpg

Biomancers, some cackling counterparts to clone him and lots of cheap dudes (lingering souls is a beast with him). Ironically I'd mill myself to death if I played Prime Speaker here, I might need to cut her.

So tonights project has been trying to make Master Biomancer into a usable card. So far it's been going pretty well.

Q0QI4mp.jpg

Biomancers, some cackling counterparts to clone him and lots of cheap dudes (lingering souls is a beast with him). Ironically I'd mill myself to death if I played Prime Speaker here, I might need to cut her.

One of the guys at my FNM runs a Biomancer deck. It gets nuts when it goes off

Top Bottom