• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

Firemind

I opened two clickslithers and a chaos warp. Feels bad man. I got passed a Tolarian Academy but apparently it's only worth 5 tix or so, so... still losing 20 tix value with each draft. Can't imagine Brainstorm and Swords to Plowhares will be worth anything if duals are only 15 tix.

An-Det

I'm thinking about just buying a messload of the duals and some Forces...I would hate to spend 30 bucks to draft a durdly UG deck with tangle as the big ticket item.

Wow, this is going until October? Damn, guess I can wait a while before splurging.

That's what I plan to do, do a few sealed events with Vintage Masters (seems the better value compared to draft and I want to at least get some in), and then buy up playsets of every Legacy and Vintage staple besides Power since after a few months of being available it's all gonna be cheap. Hell, the prices on things like LED and Force of WIll have already tanked, I'm loving it. Still a few things I wish had been in the set, but overall this is just fantastic.

noquarter

Forces are 20 bucks online, down from 130 thanks to VMA.

I love it.
Same here. Will be spending the next couple months making a Legacy deck, and if P9 gets cheap enough, will be making a vintage deck as well. Just going to have to go with a multi color deck, since Wastelands are almost what Forces used to be.

noquarter

Have zero interest in playing Type 1 online. I'm hoping Phantom events start soon.

Vintage and Legacy are the only things I really want to play online, mainly because there is a better chance of it actually surviving online. So difficult to find Legacy groups, and Vintage just keeps getting harder to get into and even harder to find groups.

Just hope they don't try to force V.4. Really couldn't stand the beta.

rCIZZLE

Vintage and Legacy are the only things I really want to play online, mainly because there is a better chance of it actually surviving online. So difficult to find Legacy groups, and Vintage just keeps getting harder to get into and even harder to find groups.

Just hope they don't try to force V.4. Really couldn't stand the beta.

They said they want to switch to V4 in July. Of course they've said this before and it got pushed back but it still seems inevitable. I'll probably be selling my collection soon as they make the announcement and possibly returning if they actually listen to complaints and make it playable.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
They said they want to switch to V4 in July. Of course they've said this before and it got pushed back but it still seems inevitable. I'll probably be selling my collection soon as they make the announcement and possibly returning if they actually listen to complaints and make it playable.

The best time to buy in on MTGO is when everyone complains and pretend-quits for like 10 days. Its Magic cards on demand, of course you aren't leaving forever.

rCIZZLE

The best time to buy in on MTGO is when everyone complains and pretend-quits for like 10 days. Its Magic cards on demand, of course you aren't leaving forever.

Well, in the deck I currently play, Scapeshift, I cannot tell when a land is selected to be sacrificed when casting the namesake. That's a pretty huge problem and one I noticed in my very first game during the beta spotlight. Can't imagine that's the only oversight like that.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
I pulled a foil Brainstorm in a VM sealed event this morning, and I'd like to move it (along with a few other cards) for tickets to pickup a non-foil staple (like JTMS). I'm pretty new to MTGO, so I don't really have a grasp on how to move cards for Tix/$$$. What's the best way to get good value for the card?

rCIZZLE

I pulled a foil Brainstorm in a VM sealed event this morning, and I'd like to move it (along with a few other cards) for tickets to pickup a non-foil staple (like JTMS). I'm pretty new to MTGO, so I don't really have a grasp on how to move cards for Tix/$$$. What's the best way to get good value for the card?

To get the most tickets you can post a listing on the classifieds with a price between the buy/sell prices of bots. Like if mtgotraders or other popular bots buy for 17 and sell for 19 try selling at 18.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I'm thinking I'm going to start playing Vintage Dredge, mostly because I can play a version that's performed pretty well without Power 9 cards for about $150, and then I'll pick up the Moxen, Lotus and Recall when they fall even more in prices.

E: I forgot about the stupid Undiscovered Paradises at 15 a pop. :(

Angry Grimace

Vintage Dredge is vile.

In a "fuck this deck" said by opponent way?

Or in a "fuck this deck" said by the player way?

Conspiracy is tanking prices because the problem barriers aren't going anywhere (Waste/Force/Duals)

Duals are a problem that could have been taken care of 10 years ago by just removing them from the list when they were still 30 dollar cards. They had to have known that they were going to staples of the eternal formats the second they stopped printing them.

Firemind

In a "fuck this deck" said by opponent way?

Or in a "fuck this deck" said by the player way?

I saw it played in a vintage open and it was kind of nutsy. The worst thing is no counterspell apart from stifle can prevent you from going off. No, actually, the worst thing is keeping your graveyard organized without changing the order.

Angry Grimace

So, uh, help me figure out what I should play in this sealed pool:

CM1SvXL.jpg

Angry Grimace

I'd probably go B/R. Also, I lose a lot.

I did this. And lost a lot :lol

I'm not good with Sealed. I'm not good at draft either, but I'm better at it than Sealed.

Also, Timetwister is 29 tix now. :lol

Angry Grimace

Welp, traded the Lotus for basically everything from the Dredge deck I wanted. Now all I need is Ancestral Recall, Mox Sapphire, another Lotus and some Undiscovered Paradise.

Obviously, I'm going to be waiting a bit for those P9 parts to come down in price a bit.

4-1 so far in a VM sealed. U/G is pretty good. It's like playing OD block U/G madness with better acceleration and removal. And Simian Grunts are awesome.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Its totally overpriced, actually. The most valuable card in the set that isn't a Power 9 card costs less than a Theros Elspeth does. Bazaar of Baghdad is format warping enough to have an entire pillar of the Vintage meta named after it: 8 bucks on MTGOtraders.

Wouldn't know about the prices. But $30 to even draft unless you pay $6 a pop per booster is a little insane for a digital card-game variant, to me.

It's kinda why I haven't delved into Magic Online enough: It's too big an overpriced money-sink. :/

Angry Grimace

Wouldn't know about the prices. But $30 to even draft unless you pay $6 a pop per booster is a little insane for a digital card-game variant, to me.

It's kinda why I haven't delved into Magic Online enough: It's too big an overpriced money-sink. :/

Its hard to argue when you play hundreds of games a month in your underwear. Not having to stack shit or shuffle is pretty nice too.

Angry Grimace

Vintage Dredge: Magic if you only have 5 minutes to play a match.

noquarter

Why don't I ever get bomb sealed pools? Playing a match and the guy got two Thopter Copters or whatever, Tradewind Rider, Mana Drain and some other good stuff for blue. Looked like his deck built itself.

My R/W deck just kept getting mana screwed. Went both games without seeing a mountain and my shadow dudes suck when they just get Tradewinded... Stupid MODO shuffler...

Top Bottom