• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Just played a guy playing nothing but discard spells (Ravens Crime, Funeral Charm, Duress, Thougtsieze, Brain Maggot, LotV, and Victim of Night/Doom Blade for creature control) and Shrieking Affliction, then got mad when I landed a Inkmoth because THAT apparently, is bullshit.

I dunno about people sometimes.

On the other hand, there is something nice about buying into an eternal format, knowing that your deck is done. Unless of course they print some hoser or ban some major piece of it.

Also, did you know that Verdant Catacombs and Arid Mesa now cost more than the value of the contents of Ramses II tomb? It's true!

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
There's something amazing about seeing Dark Ritual in the draft pool.

Evergreen keywords always get reminder text in core sets. Even on rares (so long as there's room on the card).
Not with flying. See the M14 Serra Angel.

Of that list of cards "not in the actual set", Cancel is the most interesting one. Wonder what takes it's place in the set. Dissapate?

If my theory that those cards were pushed out by guest designer cards holds true, then it's possible one of the guest designers created a counterspell variant.

kirblar

They're all cards that don't really see standard play. Cancel's also pretty stupid in core set drafts, happy to see it out of the packs.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
First game, opponent is on the play and plays Library of Alexandria. My turn - Dark Ritual, Choking Sands, target Library of Alexandria.
KuGsj.gif

Just played a guy playing nothing but discard spells (Ravens Crime, Funeral Charm, Duress, Thougtsieze, Brain Maggot, LotV, and Victim of Night/Doom Blade for creature control) and Shrieking Affliction, then got mad when I landed a Inkmoth because THAT apparently, is bullshit.

I dunno about people sometimes.

On the other hand, there is something nice about buying into an eternal format, knowing that your deck is done. Unless of course they print some hoser or ban some major piece of it.

Also, did you know that Verdant Catacombs and Arid Mesa now cost more than the value of the contents of Ramses II tomb? It's true!

Sounds like 8 rack, which I built last week.

Ensnaring Bridge is pretty awesome with the deck!

bigkrev

Star City just knifed Legacy...
419a7aac-492d-45cf-9688-fcfa85f6d104_zps7ee74ecd.png

They are running 5K Modern tournaments simultaniously with Legacy opens from now on.

Would not be surprised to see Modern replace legacy on the Invitational next year

Well, there goes that theory.
sigmasonicx said: It occurs to me that there are 15 "Standard but not in M15" cards, and there are also 15 guest designer cards. Were the former actually forced out of the set by the latter?

No. The match of the number was not on purpose.

I guess there really weren't any appropriate cards for the sample decks in M15 for whatever reason. *shrug*

EDIT:
Another post.
sigmasonicx said: Having cards in the sample decks that aren't in M15 just strikes me as so odd. Were there really no white spells to boost all of your creatures, or big green creatures that could fill the role that Inspired Charge and Terra Stomper do?

We looked at it and making the sample decks and Magic 2015 completely overlap made one of the two products worse, so we chose not to do it that way. I don’t see a great injustice having been done.

rCIZZLE

Been looking to sell a huge chunk of my legacy collection anyways. Probably should get a move-on though before they make anymore announcements.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Geez, $30 to draft or the $6 booster required plus $2 ticket fee for Vintage...

Whew that'll add up quickly.

Angry Grimace

Geez, $30 to draft or the $6 booster required plus $2 ticket fee for Vintage...

Whew that'll add up quickly.

Its totally overpriced, actually. The most valuable card in the set that isn't a Power 9 card costs less than a Theros Elspeth does. Bazaar of Baghdad is format warping enough to have an entire pillar of the Vintage meta named after it: 8 bucks on MTGOtraders.

Firemind

I really tried to draft Storm, but it was not meant to be. Only storm cards I managed to get were Mind's Desire and Temporal Fissure. :lol

Saw one Brain Freeze, but it didn't wheel for some reason. In my defense, I wasn't on the storm plan yet. It was in pack one.

Angry Grimace

Hey guys, remember when Force of Will was 115 dollars on MODO? Yeah, its $15.18 now.

Firemind

Holy shit I just won the first game by bouncing all his permanents and casting two Killer Whales. :lol

edit: aaaaand promptly lost two games because I whiffed the turn before I would have died. Next time, Modo, next time.

noquarter

Logged into Modo for the first time since 2012 to try some VMA. Opened 3 Duals and decided I should try to play those, so went BGr. Won the first match pretty easily, lets see how the other three go (playing sealed, would hate to open something good and have to pass it)

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I'm thinking about just buying a messload of the duals and some Forces...I would hate to spend 30 bucks to draft a durdly UG deck with tangle as the big ticket item.

noquarter

Did they say how long it will be draftable? Right now, duals are still a little high, wondering if I should wait and do the same.

The set is slower than I thought it would be, but I'm liking the deck I put together. Didn't think it would do that good, but it has been alright. Ended up going 2-2, losing one match due to a misplay at the end of game 2, and the last match to a pretty good BW control weenie deck.

Will end up playing another set at least this weekend. Will probably end up playing at least once a week, just like to gamble, and the format is interesting.

Angry Grimace

Did they say how long it will be draftable? Right now, duals are still a little high, wondering if I should wait and do the same.

The set is slower than I thought it would be, but I'm liking the deck I put together. Didn't think it would do that good, but it has been alright. Ended up going 2-2, losing one match due to a misplay at the end of game 2, and the last match to a pretty good BW control weenie deck.

Will end up playing another set at least this weekend. Will probably end up playing at least once a week, just like to gamble, and the format is interesting.

Early October.

Are the rares really tanking that hard in value?

This set doesn't even look like it's super interesting to draft. I had thought I'd be grinding it, but I don't think that's going to be the case with how expensive it is.

EDIT: I mean, I just spent $15 to draft Conspiracy with some buddies over hot dogs and beer. I mean, that's a way better use of money than sitting in my room doing a $25 VM draft.

Any format you can draft Necropotence and Ivory Tower together is OK by me. Still overpriced, though. And opening Spirit Cairn feels bad, man.

Top Bottom