• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

OnPoint

Well, because we actually don't try to actively play infinite combos at all anymore. It sucks to play a 2 hour game with tons of politics and strategy and then for the game to end with a blindside combo out of nowhere. When we first started everyone was playing combos and honestly those games were lame as hell. There isn't enough removal in a deck to actively police combos let alone the threats. Every deck was just tutor, tutor, tutor, combo, game over if no one has an answer.

Makes sense.

To be fair, I assembled mine through Noble Benefactor on a Mimic Vat with Fling on an Isochron Sceptre, so anyone could have picked up removal at any point.

Jaeyden

We do have a caveat though, if you can assemble one with other players cards you can go off. I inadvertently end the game a few weeks ago to a buddy dropping Krenko with Anger in his Graveyard after I had played Intruder Alarm. LOL

Oh also, got a foil Force in draft tonight. Should I sell ASAP?

noquarter

I would sell, prices on VMA have been dropping pretty quick and release events go through early July.

If you plan to play eternal online, might be good trade bait for a play set, or most of a modern deck.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
X-box platforms get the better art card, while other platforms get the better "mana cost->skill" cards, IMO.

I'm sure someone will be in to go "LOLOLOL THAT COST FOR A 3/3 THAT SPAWNING CREATURE THAT CAN BE EXILED/REMOVED EASILY!?" To which I say "shush, let me have a 3/3 spawning creature with kick-ass art if it was Ravnica. T_T"

Yup. Looking for rough equivalent online value for my entire paper collection. I have 2 Cryptics and a full set of Snappy.

I'll send you a PM

If a double black, 9CMC card is limited playable, I will eat a whole bag of Doritos and wash it down with a cool, refreshing Mountain Dew.

Maybe in a golgari nykthos ramp deck if verdict rotates and there's no sweeper in standard?

Interested in Players Rewards Cryptic?
I also have the GP Batterskull if interested.
Yeah, that works. What are you looking for?

New article about the current status of the Planeswalkers

Major details are:
* Ajani is still on Theros and is pretty pissed off at the gods.
* Avacyn was not able to cure Garruk of his curse, which is why he's still going around leaving things In Garruk's Wake and such.
* Koth is still alive, but Elesh Norn thinks he's dead.
* Liliana's Chain Veil is having negative side effects on her. Also, new art for the Helvault being opened?
* Not sure if this is new info, but Bolas was the mastermind behind the Eldrazi being released.
* It looks like Ral Zarek is supposed to be Jace's Vegeta.
* Sarkhan has been hearing the voice of Ugin, one of the oldswalkers that sealed the Eldrazi. Bolas dismisses this as being a sign of his madness, but it's probably plot relevant. Also, new art of Sarkhan with wings?
* Now that things are cool with Avacyn, Sorin's back to being concerned about the Eldrazi.
* Xenagos may not be dead-dead. He may be in the underworld, like Elspeth.

kirblar

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";116937950]God I hope so.[/QUOTE]
MaRo's posts about 9-12 months ago gave it away. Suddenly he knew that annihilator was dead, we'd get new Eldrazi legends on a return, and had all sorts of questions for people about ZWR.

Well, against my better judgement, I joined a VMA Six-Pack Sealed Event. And I opened...

... wait for it...

A steaming pile of shit rares worth at most one ticket each
!!!

My pool was incredibly mediocre overall; the only thing notable about it was that I had good mana ramp and some decent things to ramp into, plus I had Armadillo Cloak, Elephant Guide, and Battle Screech. And Masticore, which (as it turns out) is still good in Limited. Lost round one to some awkward draws and my opponent just having it all, then destroyed my round two opponent, then flooded like a boss in round three, and finally managed to pull out a win in round four to salvage 2-2 and not completely embarass myself and at least get some of my lost tickets back.

The VMA events online are such crappy value. The 8-4s are crawling with sharks (seriously - stay the hell away from those things), but the Swiss draft queues are actually worse value than the Sealed. You can pay 50 tickets to draft twice, and get up to six packs if you can win six straight matches, or play 45 to sealed once, and get six packs for winning just three out of four (hence why I went for Sealed).

But no matter what you do - if you don't open value, you get dicked over hard. We went through this with Modern Masters, but that format was actually really good. This one seems...well, kinda bad. The color balance is wonky and the draft format seems mostly dominated by Battle Screech decks. I dunno; I thought I would happily keep flushing money down the toilet chasing Power, but I don't think that's going to be happening - not when the format is this...meh.

sammich

So i have like $70 credit at a store and im not sure what to get. I wanted to try and get closer to completing my foil shock lands play set but they are out of them. Plus they offered me a 10% off coupon since i havent bought from them in a while. Ive been out of the loop again and havent really played since the first couple weeks of Born of the Gods. Anything specific i should grab or should i just do the stable badlands or savannah or something like that?

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
So i have like $70 credit at a store and im not sure what to get. I wanted to try and get closer to completing my foil shock lands play set but they are out of them. Plus they offered me a 10% off coupon since i havent bought from them in a while. Ive been out of the loop again and havent really played since the first couple weeks of Born of the Gods. Anything specific i should grab or should i just do the stable badlands or savannah or something like that?

Buy eternals. Nothing in BNG or NYX is going to be worth shit for too long. I mean, I still think Mana Confluence is going to go up to 20-25 bucks, but other than that...Courser of Kruphix is the only other card I can see getting any sort of long term play. And that's being optimistic on my part. Theros block has be very bad for value, so unless you want to play a deck right now, buy eternals.

bigkrev

My random spec of the day: Inkmoth Nexus. It's not likely to get a reprint in anything other than MM2 (I don't think we see infect again for a long time), it's a 4 of in one top tier modern deck (Affinity) and played in other decks as a 4 of (Infect), and you can still find copies for under 10 dollars.

OnPoint

My random spec of the day: Inkmoth Nexus. It's not likely to get a reprint in anything other than MM2 (I don't think we see infect again for a long time), it's a 4 of in one top tier modern deck (Affinity) and played in other decks as a 4 of (Infect), and you can still find copies for under 10 dollars.

I picked up two foils for 10 bucks a piece a few months back. I will flip the shit out of them when the price goes up.

Firemind

Well, against my better judgement, I joined a VMA Six-Pack Sealed Event. And I opened...

... wait for it...

A steaming pile of shit rares worth at most one ticket each
!!!

My pool was incredibly mediocre overall; the only thing notable about it was that I had good mana ramp and some decent things to ramp into, plus I had Armadillo Cloak, Elephant Guide, and Battle Screech. And Masticore, which (as it turns out) is still good in Limited. Lost round one to some awkward draws and my opponent just having it all, then destroyed my round two opponent, then flooded like a boss in round three, and finally managed to pull out a win in round four to salvage 2-2 and not completely embarass myself and at least get some of my lost tickets back.

The VMA events online are such crappy value. The 8-4s are crawling with sharks (seriously - stay the hell away from those things), but the Swiss draft queues are actually worse value than the Sealed. You can pay 50 tickets to draft twice, and get up to six packs if you can win six straight matches, or play 45 to sealed once, and get six packs for winning just three out of four (hence why I went for Sealed).

But no matter what you do - if you don't open value, you get dicked over hard. We went through this with Modern Masters, but that format was actually really good. This one seems...well, kinda bad. The color balance is wonky and the draft format seems mostly dominated by Battle Screech decks. I dunno; I thought I would happily keep flushing money down the toilet chasing Power, but I don't think that's going to be happening - not when the format is this...meh.

U/G Madness has been pretty great in my experience. A lot of sweet green creatures at common with blue supplying the (tempo) disruption. 4-0 in a sealed event yesterday splashing red for Kaervek's torch and Dack's Duplicate. Had a Taiga I could fetch with Nature's Lore. Tech! Krosan Tusker is such good value too. Better than Yavimaya Elder in my opinion since the Elder is a bit too clunky when you're absolutely in need of lands.

If you can 3-1 which is not unlikely with a decent pool (aggro if all else fails), you get your packs back and only lose the 4 ticks. But yeah, VM value is tanking, which is what it's supposed to do; to make eternal formats more accessible. Shame MM didn't do the same for Modern.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Its actually getting worse. Force of Will is back up to $35.

People are realizing the value of VM is bullshit and that the packs shouldn't be more than $3.99.

So I'm still undecided between Debtor's Pulpit and Thassa's Ire as anti-AEtherling tech.

Thassa's Ire is really good when both players have an AEtherling available and it's a lot harder to counter, but eats up your mana when you don't have a board presence which sucks.

Debtor's Pulpit is a really efficient tapper, but much easier to counter.

Thassa's Ire might just be a necessary evil, but I'm undecided.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";116993213]So I'm still undecided between Debtor's Pulpit and Thassa's Ire as anti-AEtherling tech.

Thassa's Ire is really good when both players have an AEtherling available and it's a lot harder to counter, but eats up your mana when you don't have a board presence which sucks.

Debtor's Pulpit is a really efficient tapper, but much easier to counter.

Thassa's Ire might just be a necessary evil, but I'm undecided.[/QUOTE]

They both seem bad to me. Just counter AEtherling or kill your opponent first. I'm not sure I understand the rationale behind using sideboard slots to counter resolved AEtherling. Just scoop and beat him first next time.

red13th

New article about the current status of the Planeswalkers

Major details are:
* Ajani is still on Theros and is pretty pissed off at the gods.
* Avacyn was not able to cure Garruk of his curse, which is why he's still going around leaving things In Garruk's Wake and such.
* Koth is still alive, but Elesh Norn thinks he's dead.
* Liliana's Chain Veil is having negative side effects on her. Also, new art for the Helvault being opened?
* Not sure if this is new info, but Bolas was the mastermind behind the Eldrazi being released.
* It looks like Ral Zarek is supposed to be Jace's Vegeta.
* Sarkhan has been hearing the voice of Ugin, one of the oldswalkers that sealed the Eldrazi. Bolas dismisses this as being a sign of his madness, but it's probably plot relevant. Also, new art of Sarkhan with wings?
* Now that things are cool with Avacyn, Sorin's back to being concerned about the Eldrazi.
* Xenagos may not be dead-dead. He may be in the underworld, like Elspeth.

Cool, Doug Beyer still writes for Mothership?
I had not seen that full Decide art. Great piece.
BTW they should bring back Venser
because he's the best looking planeswalker

ultron87

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";116993213]So I'm still undecided between Debtor's Pulpit and Thassa's Ire as anti-AEtherling tech.
[/QUOTE]

Why don't you just use Pithing Needle? It is useful for other situations during the control matchup as well, doesn't require mana every turn, and strands their Aetherling till you can wrath it or whatever.

They both seem bad to me. Just counter AEtherling or kill your opponent first. I'm not sure I understand the rationale behind using sideboard slots to counter resolved AEtherling. Just scoop and beat him first next time.

The idea is, often one person uses a resolved AEtherling as the opportunity to resolve their own. Because essentially no cards other than lands and AEtherling matter much in the mirror, you don't really tap out for anything else.

If you're second in the race or low on health to random mutavault hits or whatever, tapping your opponent's AEtherling puts you way ahead.

I really don't like that without a tapper the Esper mirror is just a coinflip to whoever resolves and AEtherling first. That's not really good Magic.

The other option is to just go all out and dump a bunch of creatures from my sideboard and try to win before he finds an AEtherling.

Why don't you just use Pithing Needle? It is useful for other situations during the control matchup as well, doesn't require mana every turn, and strands their Aetherling till you can wrath it or whatever.

I have both.

Angry Grimace

Because he doesn't like the idea of turning off his own AEtherling, which is being greedy, in my opinion.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";116997206]No, I always bring in Pithing Needle.

Maybe I'll just use Obzedat instead.[/QUOTE]

You had told me before (probably months ago) that you don't like it because it turns off your own AEtherling, so I had envisioned you still weren't running it.

I think the alternative strategies you're talking about are worse, by a lot. Pithing Needle and relying on Baron/Elspeth to win you the game seems like a much, much easier strategy. There isn't going to be an elegant answer to AEtherling because its AEtherling.

Really now? Guess it can't hurt to file a reimbursement.

I barely play online, but have suffered from a crash/drop before and they reimbursed me no problem (they didn't even take away the cards I had opened during the event, so I kind of got double reimbursement since I had opened something I sold for another draft entry)

U/G Madness has been pretty great in my experience. A lot of sweet green creatures at common with blue supplying the (tempo) disruption. 4-0 in a sealed event yesterday splashing red for Kaervek's torch and Dack's Duplicate. Had a Taiga I could fetch with Nature's Lore. Tech! Krosan Tusker is such good value too. Better than Yavimaya Elder in my opinion since the Elder is a bit too clunky when you're absolutely in need of lands.

If you can 3-1 which is not unlikely with a decent pool (aggro if all else fails), you get your packs back and only lose the 4 ticks. But yeah, VM value is tanking, which is what it's supposed to do; to make eternal formats more accessible. Shame MM didn't do the same for Modern.

That's why I did the Sealed; while it's a bigger investment, the value seems leagues better than Swiss drafts.

The reason value is tanking so much is that people know the set is going to be opened for months. With Modern Masters, we knew it was only going to be played for a few weeks, so nothing (other than the uncommons) dropped in value.

rCIZZLE

Its actually getting worse. Force of Will is back up to $35.

People are realizing the value of VM is bullshit and that the packs shouldn't be more than $3.99.

Feeling like an idiot for not snap-buying the forces and duals I wanted. Probably just going to wait and hope they lower prices on packs since the decks I was looking at are a bit out of my price range now lol.

The latest "guest designer" card:

ZyzuBQQ.jpg

Angry Grimace

Fun in Commander, good on Fleecemane Lion?

Bad in every format except 3 hour EDH games where everyone sits around doing nothing but trying to get their own mean-spirited bullshit combo to go off while getting angry that everyone else is doing the same thing.

Been a while since I posted here.

I recently joined a local PTQ and managed to place 11th out of 196 players.

This was my list during the event anticipating a flood of UWR decks:
Code:
Creatures: 
4 dark confidant 
4 tarmogoyf 
3 scavenging ooze 
2 courser of kruphix 
1 thrun the last troll 

PW: 
3 liliana of the veil 
1 chandra pyromaster 

Sorcery: 
3 inquisition of kozilek 
3 thoughtseize 
2 anger of the gods 

Instant: 
3 abrupt decay 
4 lightning bolt 
2 slaughter pact 
1 terminate 

Lands: 
4 verdant catacombs 
2 Marsh Flats 
1 Misty rainforest 
4 blackcleave cliffs 
4 raging ravine 
2 overgrown tomb 
1 stomping ground 
1 blood crypt 
1 twilight mire 
1 grove of the burnwillows 
2 swamp 
1 forest 

SB: 
2 ancient grudge 
1 rakdos charm 
1 golgari charm 
1 grafdigger's cage 
1 liliana of the veil 
2 combust 
3 fulminator mage 
1 thoughtseize 
1 thrun the last troll
2 engineered explosives

Rounds went as follows:
R1 burn 2-0
I almost lost this round since G1 I was down to 2 life and G2 I went down to 6, Coursers and Goyfs saved my ass in this match.

R2 bw tokens 2-0
Not much to say, maindeck angers and sb EE won it for me.

R3 fish 2-0
Runner runner removal against the fish player and his horde of phantasmal images copying my goyf saved the day.

R4 boggles 2-0
Got lucky with t1 discards on both matches getting his creatures, Lily and Bob advantage made him scoop.

R5 souped up Modern Event Deck 0-2
Even with a cleared board and no hands, his topdeck was much better than mine.
Couldn't get any of my sweepers in both games (angers, golgari charm, ee).

R6 twin 0-2
G1-I was playing against a very smart player, he didn't try to win on turn 4 but instead kept counters up for my disruptions and fired of on turn 7 after baiting my removal with v.cliqe.
G2- we both got flooded, eventually he drew into his combo with me having no removal

R7 Jund mirror 2-1
Lost G1 on the draw, won last 2 games on the back of Thrun.

R8 kiki control 2-1.
Lost G1 to to collonade beatdown. Combust won me the second game and Rakdos Charm won me the third just to deal the final inch of damage due to his 2 snaps and Resto in play.
Winner of the PTQ was the modern event deck

Winner of the PTQ was using a tweaked Modern Event Deck, mad props to him.

Yeef

Bad in every format except 3 hour EDH games where everyone sits around doing nothing but trying to get their own mean-spirited bullshit combo to go off while getting angry that everyone else is doing the same thing.
SOmeone on Salvation pointed out that it's the pac-man watch from an early Penny Arcade comic. All of the designer cards so far seem to reference things that the designers have worked on. That makes me a little more interested in these things, just form a design standpoint.

Firemind

Hello Firemind,

Based on the Event Reimbursement Policy (http://wizards.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/26/ ), we typically reimburse for issues within our control, such as events disrupted by service interruptions or system issues. However, in this case we have elected to give you a one time courtesy reimbursement.
You will not be reimbursed for issues like this in the future.

Total Objects Reimbursed: 6 Vintage Masters Boosters, 4 Event Tickets

A pity reimbursement. I'll take it!

Thanks, guys!

Firemind

I opened an Underground Sea. Can't complain!

Still had three VM packs lying around, did a quick draft, and opened a Tropical Island and a Tundra. Hope the value of duals doesn't tank too much. Might keep them in case they reprint the onslaught fetchlands next year...

Top Bottom