• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The only place Timetwister is useful is in draft. Its funny that Timetwister is considered Power Nine, but its actually less format warping than Bazaar of Baghdad is (which costs 12 dollars on MTGO).

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
So, what's the smart game plan here? Just buy all the singles or draft this til your nubs fall off?

Depends what you want and how much the cards settle at. Since we don't actually know the answer to that yet, its hard to say.

Angry Grimace

I thought Timetwister is played in Vintage Storm or some combo deck in vintage? Time Spiral is played, right?

I think you are right, actually. But still, its played far, far less than the other 8, I think its considered a potentially cuttable card in those decks too.

Time Spiral isn't, I don't think. I think the idea is using Timetwister to get a ton of mana on Turn 1 and then popping off a lethal Tendrils.

Jaeyden

Crystal Ball, Forsee, Serum Visions give you tons of options. I have a modern miracles deck if that's what you doing, its fun on the KT and can be fun in comp but takes a ton of tuning to the meta and fizzles a bit if you're not prepared.

I think you are right, actually. But still, its played far, far less than the other 8, I think its considered a potentially cuttable card in those decks too.

Time Spiral isn't, I don't think. I think the idea is using Timetwister to get a ton of mana on Turn 1 and then popping off a lethal Tendrils.

The problem is that the effect that Timetwister provides has been reprinted on other cards at competitive enough costs to the point where it isn't as special. Sure, all of the others are banned/restricted as well, but Timetwister seems less special because you have Windfall, Memory Jar, Wheel of Fortune, etc...

Angry Grimace

The problem is that the effect that Timetwister provides has been reprinted on other cards at competitive enough costs to the point where it isn't as special. Sure, all of the others are banned/restricted as well, but Timetwister seems less special because you have Windfall, Memory Jar, Wheel of Fortune, etc...

Sure, but few of them are as cheap as Timetwister (in terms of mana). My recollection is that Memory Jar is a win condition in Vintage Storm, too, and in fact, I think its considered a more desirable one.

Crystal Ball, Forsee, Serum Visions give you tons of options. I have a modern miracles deck if that's what you doing, its fun on the KT and can be fun in comp but takes a ton of tuning to the meta and fizzles a bit if you're not prepared.

Thanks, but it just all seems kinda meh. The thing I hate about Modern is that it always feels like I'm just running bad versions of Legacy cards.

Why is Brainstorm so awesome?

This is a rhetorical question, right?

Brainstorm is like 90% of the reason I want to play Legacy. Every time I play Modern I'm like, "you know what would make this deck so awesome? Brainstorm."

C'mon Wizards. Fuck it, print Brainstorm in M15 with all 10 fetches. Drop the bomb.

Sure, but few of them are as cheap as Timetwister (in terms of mana). My recollection is that Memory Jar is a win condition in Vintage Storm, too, and in fact, I think its considered a more desirable one.

Jar is a Tinker target, so it costs three-ish. Wheel costs three. Windfall costs three. Etc. It turns out that if you want to draw seven cards for three mana, there are all sorts of ways to do it.

bigkrev

Fuck Rob Pardo. Your killing magic
xathrid600.jpg

kirblar

It's not good enough stats-wise, and its in the wrong colors anyway.

1/2 mana creatures with HP generally should just straight up not be printed. Caryatid is the type of exception to that rule.

bigkrev

It's not good enough stats-wise, and its in the wrong colors anyway.

1/2 mana creatures with HP generally should just straight up not be printed. Caryatid is the type of exception to that rule.

The guy that just posted that spoiler.

Ability is both expensive and not terribly useful. Probably a limited pick.

Listen, i've been hurt by Hexproof

Just don't take any risks and don't put it on anything that is remotely castable in anything outside of Type 4 or EDH

Angry Grimace

That too.

With that said, I bet the card is a hit with casuals.

Its a limited card, I think. Hexproof and even the activated ability are pretty good there, especially with Black Bolt in that format.

Angry Grimace

The following cards are not in M15, but are still legal as though they were:

Serra angel, Inspired Charge, Aegis Angel, Divine Verdict, Mahamoti Djinn, Cancel, Walking Corpse, Sengir Vampire, Nightmare, Seismic Strike, Shivan Dragon, Furnace Whelp, Terra Stomper, Garruk's Packleader, Centaur Courser.

They're in some kind of promo deck which somehow makes them legal, which makes no sense because these are all cards that are useful in limited.

Yeah, that really threw me for a loop, especially since I think a card like Terra Stomper actually could possibly be constructed relevant this standard, but apparently this isn't all that new. For example, according to MTG Salvation, Vizzerdrix is apparently legal in Dragon's Maze, despite not being printed in its booster packs. Who knew?

Yeef

Hexproof in mono black? So wrong.

The following cards are not in M15, but are still legal as though they were:

Serra angel, Inspired Charge, Aegis Angel, Divine Verdict, Mahamoti Djinn, Cancel, Walking Corpse, Sengir Vampire, Nightmare, Seismic Strike, Shivan Dragon, Furnace Whelp, Terra Stomper, Garruk's Packleader, Centaur Courser.

They're in some kind of promo deck which somehow makes them legal, which makes no sense because these are all cards that are useful in limited.
I'm guessing those cards will appear in the coming block and/or DotP '15.

They're in the new player decks, which are provided to game stores for free by wizards in [virtually] unlimited quantities. I'm surprised they're putting rares in them this time around, even if they are just bulk rares.

Well, hey, at least we don't have to open them.

We're still going to get the same number of Limited-only cards in the actual set, you know.

Anyway, the sample decks will only have cards from Standard, so the cards listed that aren't in Return to Ravnica block, Theros block, or M14 will probably be in M15. They are Ajani's Pridemate, Kinsballe Skirmisher (surprised to see a Kithkin), Midnight Guard, Tireless Missionaries (bleh), Fugitive Wizard (double bleh), Into the Void, Jace's Ingenuity, Gravedigger, Typhoid Rats, Zof Shade, Crippling Blight, Sign in Blood, Goblin Roughrider, Rummaging Goblin, Thundering Giant, Cone of Flame, Charging Rhino, Roaring Primadox, Runeclaw Bear, Titanic Growth.

I just realized, there are 15 cards that count as being in M15 without being in it. The same as the number of guest designer cards. Could it be that these are the cards that were pushed out to fit in the guest designer cards? It seems like even the rarities match up.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";116317793]Obviously I don't know the format but just looking at it it seems like a moderately bad limited card.

It's a 2-power three drop with evasion, so it's probably playable. But the evasion is kinda terrible so I wouldn't pick it that early in most cases.[/QUOTE]

It's likely very good in limited. Consider all of the scenarios. Let's say you're on the play, and this is your turn three.

1) Your opponent taps out to play a creature. You get a free attack for two damage, because there's no world in which your opponent actually blocks. If he does, you eat a creature for four mana without spending a card, which is probably very good.

2) Your opponent doesn't tap out. If his plan was to kill this thing after blocks but before damage, he'll be sorely disappointed because you don't attack into his open mana and he falls behind on tempo.

3) Your opponent has a bad creature on board already, like a 1/1 for 1. Unfortunately, this kinda trumps your play, as you're not going to spend four mana to kill a 1/1, so you just play something else and keep going.

She's also a reasonable topdeck in a boardstall, and blocks like a champ if you have spare mana (otherwise she kinda does have to wait a turn to block).

I think you'll find this card to be very strong in limited.

You're forgetting that it's also a two power three drop that forces you to leave your mana open to block. You probably can't afford to leave open four mana a turn in draft.

I can see it in a control deck or as a sideboard card against midrangey decks or just a filler creature but you probably aren't super psyched to pick it early.

I think I'd be happier with a pensive minotaur in 90% of situations.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";116321378]You're forgetting that it's also a two power three drop that forces you to leave your mana open to block. You probably can't afford to leave open four mana a turn in draft.

I can see it in a control deck or as a sideboard card against midrangey decks or just a filler creature but you probably aren't super psyched to pick it early.

I think I'd be happier with a pensive minotaur in 90% of situations.[/QUOTE]

Or you just attack with it and your opponent will never block if you have four mana open. That's the concept of "threat of activation;" you don't ever have to use the ability to get value from it.

ultron87

I'd put it at the slightly better than something like a Bladetusk Boar. Solid guy that gets damage in pretty well. If you actually have to pay the mana to kill a random 1/1 blocker or something the tempo loss is huge and you might get blown out by a Shock. And it has two power. So maybe it is actually worse than the boar. Obviously depends on the format.

It shines best in the late game on defense since it can hold their entire ground force back and holding mana up isn't an issue.

I'd put it at the slightly better than something like a Bladetusk Boar. Solid guy that gets damage in pretty well. If you actually have to pay the mana to kill a random 1/1 blocker or something the tempo loss is huge and you might get blown out by a Shock. And it has two power. So maybe it is actually worse than the boar. Obviously depends on the format.
In THS block, the Boar is leagues better. It's the best red common creature in JOU. But we definitely don't know the format. For all we know there's no grizzly bears lol.

It shines best in the late game on defense since it can hold their entire ground force back and holding mana up isn't an issue.

Well yeah, I just don't base my picks on what blocks best in a stall lol
Pillarfield Ox can block most of the stuff this dude can without spending mana and most people don't think the Ox is all that great.

bigkrev

The art is pretty good on it except for that goofy assed knife.

I hope we see Mono-Black hexproof as an archetype.

yes, lets make Hexproof even more prevalent!

Of that list of cards "not in the actual set", Cancel is the most interesting one. Wonder what takes it's place in the set. Dissapate?

bigkrev

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";116358020]Mana Leak ^_^[/QUOTE]

As penance for printing more hexproof guys, I would accept this, but it's never going to happen. Mana Leak is basically better than Counterspell.

Top Bottom