• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Power 9 prices creeping back down, mostly because the bots don't have enough supply and they can simply unilaterally lower prices (and thus, the buylist prices) to increase their profit margins. Monopolies are fun.

ultron87

Snapcaster'able at the end of their turn. I played with Probe at first because I already had it, but once I tried Peek I never wished I had probe instead.

Not sure if it's right or now, but that's my train of thought.

Makes sense. I'd probably start with Probe too since Turn 1 Delver + Probe seems really good for this deck, but being able to Snapcaster it EOT does have a lot of value since the deck is obviously designed to never tap out on your turn.

Firemind

Power 9 prices creeping back down, mostly because the bots don't have enough supply and they can simply unilaterally lower prices (and thus, the buylist prices) to increase their profit margins. Monopolies are fun.

Shit. I just opened a Mox Emerald. How fucked am I?

On the other hand, I just traded a Black Lotus for 250 tix. Who said VM had bad value? :p

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

On the other hand, I just traded a Black Lotus for 250 tix. Who said VM had bad value? :p

I sold mine for half that :'(

Lotus is down 40 bucks today tho so good time to cash out.

Firemind

lolwut

how?

although some other bloke did offer 50 tix less.

now i'm not sure what to do with 200+ tix, since the next draft I got paired against battle screeches again. this time with a kjeldoran outpost. :lol

Angry Grimace

lolwut

how?

although some other bloke did offer 50 tix less.

now i'm not sure what to do with 200+ tix, since the next draft I got paired against battle screeches again. this time with a kjeldoran outpost. :lol

The prices are arbitrarily set by boy owners. They want to buy low over the weekend.

noquarter

I did. Of course MTGO hates me, so probably doesn't mean much.

Though I will say all weekend there was only a couple times that I got Mana screwed.

And don't think you could really say your screwed for opening a mox, even if it is the least played.

Just faced a guy in a VMA sealed event who had a Tundra, Underground Sea, Mox Emerald, and Dack Fayden in his deck.

I won, thanks to the power of efficient green and white creatures, but somehow I don't think he cares.

Firemind

You weren't around when Remand was Standard legal, were you? Had some of my best time with Momentary Blink decks. Riftwing Cloudskate, Court Hussar, Avalanche Rider, Lightning Angel, Bogardan Hellkite, UWR was dope.

Angry Grimace

Just faced a guy in a VMA sealed event who had a Tundra, Underground Sea, Mox Emerald, and Dack Fayden in his deck.

I won, thanks to the power of efficient green and white creatures, but somehow I don't think he cares.

You might be surprised to learn that Dack is worth less than the pack he comes in.

You might be surprised to learn that Dack is worth less than the pack he comes in.

No kidding. Yeah, he certainly is.

The value of the set just keeps tanking. I've done two sealed events so far, and sold my cards for a grand total of four tickets. The cost is just ridiculous, and while the format is okay, it's not super exciting.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
VMA is doing what everybody wanted MMA to do, but the price entry is just a bit too high. How much was MMA MSRP again? Because that obviously hit the right balance with price to perceived value.

But, still. VMA making Legacy legal cards widely available is just the best. I now have a set of Volcanics, and 2 Underground Seas and 2 Tropicals. When I get paid again, I'm buying a set of FoW. None of that would have been feasible without VMA.

Now, I did draft and I did open about 2 dollars worth of cards, so I ain't doing that shit again...and streamers like Kenji who draft multiple times every day haven't even come close to recouping their buy in even after opening 2-3 pieces of power.

I think if they are stringent about the price point with VMA2 then they need to craft a better draft experience. Losing to Battle Screeches and Benalish Trappers is just not cool.

WanderingWind

The same price as VMA. But the format was better - and that has a lot to do with it.

It's an interesting puzzle. I would love to have the sales data from MMA and VMA. I still feel like the actual idea behind both sets should be celebrated, and VMA especially came at a perfect time (Theros is more boring than Hearthstone) so it's cool for a bit.

I don't even know how you'd fix the VMA drafted/sealed formats.

Angry Grimace

No kidding. Yeah, he certainly is.

The value of the set just keeps tanking. I've done two sealed events so far, and sold my cards for a grand total of four tickets. The cost is just ridiculous, and while the format is okay, it's not super exciting.

The value of the set is super concentrated in Power 9 and Force of Will. Even the dual lands are frequently only marginally more valuable than the packs they come in.

This is because Wizards decided not to put certain staple cards in the set, like ONS fetches and Wasteland. Now granted, Wasteland is not a Vintage staple and its a "vintage" set, its much more of a Legacy staple, but still. Not to mention, not sure why Undiscovered Paradise isn't in the set either, its a staple land in Vintage Dredge.

ultron87

I wonder if that's the art for the new card too. It has the usual aspect ratio for PW cards. Would be interesting if they went with that washed out style on a card.

Firemind

The value of the set is super concentrated in Power 9 and Force of Will. Even the dual lands are frequently only marginally more valuable than the packs they come in.

This is because Wizards decided not to put certain staple cards in the set, like ONS fetches and Wasteland. Now granted, Wasteland is not a Vintage staple and its a "vintage" set, its much more of a Legacy staple, but still. Not to mention, not sure why Undiscovered Paradise isn't in the set either, its a staple land in Vintage Dredge.

Bazaar is only worth a few tix and it's mythic. I first picked it too smh (there was not much else tho). Can't complain as I got my investment out of doing drafts/sealed by opening a lotus. Probably going to stop drafting it now since mono white is seriously bonkers in a format without any good sweepers. White has some really good removal too for some reason. Anticipating M15 now, but what I really want is Khans of Tarkir.

Exokell

Banned
VMA has better storm than mma. The discard/madness decks are really fun and goblin theme is OK. But Mma had rebels, artifact, saprolings, faeries, giants, shitty storm and other theme decks that you could build. Better money cards too. Hope they mma 2 soon.

Angry Grimace

Bazaar is only worth a few tix and it's mythic. I first picked it too smh (there was not much else tho). Can't complain as I got my investment out of doing drafts/sealed by opening a lotus. Probably going to stop drafting it now since mono white is seriously bonkers in a format without any good sweepers. White has some really good removal too for some reason. Anticipating M15 now, but what I really want is Khans of Tarkir.

The big problem here is that people don't *actually* want to play Vintage, and to the extent they do, the vast majority of viable Vintage decks run 5+ pieces of the Power Nine, meaning its inaccessible anyways. The only cheap one is Timetwister, because its only played in Gush Storm.

Basically what the set did was make duals and Force of Will cheaper.

Angry Grimace

Wow, I just watched Young Pyromancer beat a Yagmoth/Necropotence deck. I was not even aware that was a legit Vintage card.

You know what else was a big Vintage card for a while?

3AzOHNj.jpg

WanderingWind

You know what else was a big Vintage card for a while?

3AzOHNj.jpg

That one I knew. Tap 4, take 2 damage, kill target Jace is kinda shitty, but when it's all you got...

Lotus Cobra is very legit in the format as well.

I want to see that in action. I can see how, but after seeing YP destroy the most broken deck in the history of Magic...I dunno if anything can top that.

Angry Grimace

That one I knew. Tap 4, take 2 damage, kill target Jace is kinda shitty, but when it's all you got...

I want to see that in action. I can see how, but after seeing YP destroy the most broken deck in the history of Magic...I dunno if anything can top that.

Yup, Slash Panther was popular was because it requires no colored mana and can be cast off of Mishra's Workshop to kill JTMS.

You know, I suddenly realize it's kind of a shame that we already have a black wrath spell spoiled for M15, because it would have been really neat to have a black convoke wrath spell with the flavor of a cult praying for the end of the world.

Well, at least we will probably get a demon with convoke, which should capture similar flavor.

Angry Grimace

Theros makes it difficult to print 4cc wraths or reprint 3CC Lily right now.

I would be shocked if Day of Judgment or something similar doesn't show up. I don't think there's been a Standard with no 4CMC Wrath effect in a while now.

Angry Grimace

Too good in MBD.

She's not inherently problematic.

I'm not sure I agree.

MBD may or may not be a big thing post-rotation and I don't know what current MBD even replaces to run Liliana.

Angry Grimace

Quick make another Loxodon Smiter! 5/5 for 3 this time though!

We need Madness again. Would fit perfectly with Crazy Sarkhan being the set mascot. Would be even better if they had an alternative Madness cost for when an Opponent's spell causes you to discard a card.

kirblar

We need Madness again. Would fit perfectly with Crazy Sarkhan being the set mascot. Would be even better if they had an alternative Madness cost for when an Opponent's spell causes you to discard a card.
I think Madness is an actively bad mechanic. It distorts gameplay without much net gain.

kirblar

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";117496172]Well, the deck is losing Pack Rat, Nightveil, Lifebane, Desecration Demon, Underworld Connections and Mutavault.[/QUOTE]
All the non-Lifebane disruption is sticking though.

Angry Grimace

All the non-Lifebane disruption is sticking though.

Duress and Thoughtseize? I'm not sure Thoughtseize + Duress by itself is enough to make the deck oppressive. At least not more oppressive than it is now.

kirblar

Duress and Thoughtseize? I'm not sure Thoughtseize + Duress by itself is enough to make the deck oppressive. At least not more oppressive than it is now.
Maggot, Gary, etc- there's enough to make MBD obnoxious without adding in one of the best PWs ever (even if she is a fair and balanced card.)

Top Bottom