• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

bigkrev

It's apparently temporary while they work at fixing all the issues with the new site. They don't want 12am PST/3am EST updates either because they're annoying for the web team.

Of course they would do this in the middle of spoiler season. And now that Sideboard.com no longer works, they probably won't fix the tournament coverage stuff till after the Pro Tour. Because that is what makes the most sense.

Crocodile

Lets all get excited for Core Set previews!

What's the last core set card to make a standard splash? Thragtusk?

New cards from M14 that REALLY FUCKING MATTERED :p

Chandra Pyromaster
Garruk, Caller of Beasts
Archangel of Thune
Fiendslayer Paladin
Lifebane Zombie
Tidebinder Mage
Xanthrid Necromancer
Young Pyromancer
Elvish Mystic

There were a few other bit players and stuff like Paladin have fallen out of favor but those are/were all pretty big at one point in T2 or older formats.

Definitely on the "way too good" list now.

Not in the sense that it's overpowered, but in the sense that just about every deck has to play it.

Young Pyromancer

I love this little guy. So much.

EDIT: And we do have this spoiler while we wait another hour for the mothership to update (translated from German):

spiritbond1.jpg

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
"Kird Apes"

Another key invention of Doug Beyer's M13 design team was the cycle of uncommon creatures that powered up off of different land types, most notably Flinthoof Boar. We called them the "Kird Ape" cycle internally, as a nod to the famous Arabian Nights creature they were based on, and for M15 we decided to bring them back, going the other way around the wheel (so the red one powers up off of Forests, etc.). These powerhouses make for great rewards in Limited and reward "splashing" in very satisfying ways.

Color Lords

As if ten different two-color deck-building themes weren't enough, I also wanted rewards for trying to play a one-colored deck. To that end, we made an uncommon cycle called the "Paragons" that tempt you to do just that! The work Mark Globus did on M14 design highlighted for me the power of simple-to-achieve missions in deck building, and these lords do an admirable job of setting you on such a mission. Whether you're drafting or playing casual Constructed, the Paragons are sure to give your monocolored decks a serious shot in the arm!

Slivers!

What? Weren't Slivers M14's thing? Yes, they were, but I didn't want people who made Sliver decks in M14 to never get any new toys to play with. Because Slivers don't reside on Theros, M15 was the only other chance we had to get new Slivers into Standard alongside Galerider Sliver, Predatory Sliver, and the rest of the M14 crew. There is a cycle of five uncommons, many of which play well on their own and are devastating in combination, as well as a new mythic rare Sliver that every Sliver aficionado has been waiting for.

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-2015—its-there-2014-06-23

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Uh isn't Vintage Drafts supposed to be up? Why are they Employee only? Or am I not looking in the right draft area?

ultron87

I wonder if they'll have these new slivers back to something closer to their old art. I'd expect it'd be a little different after how extreme the outcry was for the M14 ones.

bigkrev

Ugh, Slivers? So we are moving from burying the warm body to desecrating the corpse? And what is the point of these when Rotation happens in a few months and the only Standard legal Slivers are these 5? What a pointless cycle. Unless they are insane on their own, it's 5 more dead slots in limited.

Uh isn't Vintage Drafts supposed to be up? Why are they Employee only? Or am I not looking in the right draft area?

Check Release Events

ultron87

Notch's card is really beautiful as a red card. You rashly start destroying your own land to get ahead and then have no in-color way to get rid of the enchantment to start repairing the damage you've done.

I'd read that Goblin card and somehow skipped over the "attacking creature without flying" clause and thought it was the greatest pinger ever.

Yeef

Oh it's attacking that is a bit too far in on the flavour over being good

You can't respond to a lost flip can you?
No, but you can respond to the whole ability (before flipping), or just play him down after your Hall of Triumph or Spear of Heliod.

Firemind

Never mind spoilers, a woman almost won Grand Prix Chicago? That is amazing. Wish she had won.

Five of the top eight decks are MBD doe. Enjoy black summer!

f0rk

No, but you can respond to the whole ability (before flipping), or just play him down after your Hall of Triumph or Spear of Heliod.
Yeah I knew about the anthems was just thinking of the fringe cases where you have giant growth or something

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
If Khans comes out and MBD still dominates, what is the lynchpin they would consider banning? Grey Merchant?

With Pack Rat, Demon, Connections, Spector and Mutavault being gone I don't know if Merchant and Downfall are good enough for MBD to remain a thing. I mean, Rat and Connections realistically are the deck. The rest is dressing

Yeef

The Land Mines are also artifacts, so it works with Shrapnel Blast as well.

I wonder how many artifacts-matter cards they'll throw in red and blue. I doubt they'll do colored artifacts in a core set (except for the Chain Veil), so there will have to be a lot if the blue-red draft strategy is artifacts.

ultron87

If Khans comes out and MBD still dominates, what is the lynchpin they would consider banning? Grey Merchant?

It'll be an almost entirely different deck post rotation if it remains a deck at all. It loses Pack Rat, Demon, Underworld Connections, Mutavault, Lifebane Zombie and Nightveil Spectre. So I expect it won't be an issue.

OnPoint

With Pack Rat, Demon, Connections, Spector and Mutavault being gone I don't know if Merchant and Downfall are good enough for MBD to remain a thing. I mean, Rat and Connections realistically are the deck. The rest is dressing

A 4-mana 6/6 that eats creatures and the creature that negates the need to mull are HUGE losses for that deck, IMO.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Hey, if you want to make a Hexproof card I wouldn't hate, this would be the one.
I'd be super happy if they reprinted fetchlands, and put a 1CC artifact with the second ability that affects all players in the same set

Oh man, you want a way to completely disrupt Modern, that would be it. They should totally do it.

bigkrev

Oh man, you want a way to completely disrupt Modern, that would be it. They should totally do it.

Actually, scratch that- it can't be an artifact- Affinity is already one of the best decks in the format, and that would be an auto include in the maindeck, as it's 100% safe for the deck (no searchers in the deck, it's an artifact that can be eaten, ect). Maybe make it a 1 colorless mana enchantment or something, and realistically make it 4 damage and no sacrifice.

Aggressive Mining is the strongest card in M15 so far by an insane margin. Giving burn a 4-mana enchantment that lets them draw 5 times as many cards is absurd.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Maybe a cycle of 1CC dudes who punish searching in different ways? i.e

Inquisitor
B
Whenever an opponent searches their library that player discards a card

I have no idea what the green or white ones could be without being super shitty tho...

bigkrev

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";117849998]Aggressive Mining is the strongest card in M15 so far by an insane margin. Giving burn a 4-mana enchantment that lets them draw 5 cards a turn instead of one is absurd.[/QUOTE]

It's once per turn. You can't print it without immediately banning it in Legacy and Vintage without that restriction, and it would be the riskiest card they have printed since Skullclamp in Standard.

Also, on Hot Soup, I not only hate the name, I hate how the H looks

ultron87

You can sac a land on your turn and one on your opponent's turn. So you can draw a ton of cards fast.

Now that I've found the card gallery all the other external designed cards are there. Brian Fargo's card is pretty cool too.

EN_1j1zp0aibn.png

It is probably too slow for Standard since it is getting a one drop turn 4 and a two drop on Turn 5 and so on (unless you're ramping), but it is interesting in how it makes you build up the chain of creatures. Certainly great for limited since a 2/3 for 3 is reasonable, with a potential huge upside.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";117851387]5 times as many cards. Sac once when I drop it, then again on your turn.[/QUOTE]

You won't have enough mana to play anything at that point.

Top Bottom