• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

Hero

Duress and Thoughtseize? I'm not sure Thoughtseize + Duress by itself is enough to make the deck oppressive. At least not more oppressive than it is now.

Thoughtseize is entirely too good. 1 mana to take their best nonland card doesn't make for interesting deckbuilding.

Firemind

Thoughtseize is fine. Thoughtseize followed by turn two Pack Rat however is not fine.

Whoever designed and approved Pack Rat, I want to hurt you.

Hero

Thoughtseize is fine. Thoughtseize followed by turn two Pack Rat however is not fine.

Whoever designed and approved Pack Rat, I want to hurt you.

Seize really isn't - it's too efficient for what it does.

Seize is not fine. It is one of the best 1CC spells in the game because it hits anything except for lands. There is no thought process as in past environments where you had to decide between cards like Inquisition of Kozilek or Duress or whatever other card because it had limitations.

If that weren't enough on its own, it was printed with Hero's Downfall, a 3CC instant that kills any creature or planeswalker. Again, no thought process in what removal to run, this is the best card so you automatically play it.

Firemind

Thoughtseize is a bad card against aggressive decks. The underlying issue is that they've been trying to push green midrange over the years, which has not been kind to proper red-based aggro. What they want to do is make aggro viable again, which really doesn't take a lot, and have one or two avenues to combo. At the very least, the rotation of Lifebane Zombie will make green/white based aggro more viable again.

Hero

Thoughtseize is a bad card against aggressive decks. The underlying issue is that they've been trying to push green midrange over the years, which has not been kind to proper red-based aggro. What they want to do is make aggro viable again, which really doesn't take a lot, and have one or two avenues to combo. At the very least, the rotation of Lifebane Zombie will make green/white based aggro more viable again.

It's not bad against aggressive decks, it's just not as optimal as it is against midrange and control decks. No matter what card you take, the loss of 2 life is going to be less than whatever creature or burn spell that would've hit the board anyway.

kirblar

This really isn't true. It's a bad topdeck vs them. Not a bad card.

Firemind

It's not bad against aggressive decks, it's just not as optimal as it is against midrange and control decks. No matter what card you take, the loss of 2 life is going to be less than whatever creature or burn spell that would've hit the board anyway.

It still costs one mana and two life, and it doesn't use up your opponent's resources, so they can do whatever they want on their turn minus the discarded card. That's on top of being a bad topdeck. Sounds like a good deal to me for the aggro player.

I remember Faeries tried to replace Ancestral Visions with Thoughtseize, but they just end up getting smashed by aggressive decks. Turns out card advantage is better than trading card for card without any tempo loss for the opponent.

The problem is they printed Sylvan Caryatid and Courser of Kruphix. Without those cards, Thoughtseize is a hindrance in multiples against aggro, but with them, they can save you so much life. Pity.

Someone brought in a full power cube to draft after fnm tonight. I had no idea what I was doing at all. Everyone else at the table did and they were flipping balls over the cards in packs. So.. I pack 1 pick 3 picked Pack Rat and hate drafted the rest of the draft. Then asked for 36 swamps... and everyone yelled at me. The store owned laughed his ass off at my audacity.

kirblar

How about Cabal Therapy? (Discounting the flashback)
That one's fine.
Someone brought in a full power cube to draft after fnm tonight. I had no idea what I was doing at all. Everyone else at the table did and they were flipping balls over the cards in packs. So.. I pack 1 pick 3 picked Pack Rat and hate drafted the rest of the draft. Then asked for 36 swamps... and everyone yelled at me. The store owned laughed his ass off at my audacity.
Well done sir. It's the owner's fault for bad cube design.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Got 2nd at my local FNM. Almost lost my last match because I had an Aetherling on board with Nyx Fleece Ram and only two Temple of Deceits open to either use a Negate or exile Aetherling. In my tired state, my opponent tries to Doom Blade my Ram at the end of my turn, which I countered with Negate not thinking about about Aetherling. This man then drops Planar Cleansing while I'm beating my head against the table. Everyone was watching us and some called it one of the worse punts they've ever consider my opponent was at 7 life and a turn away from losing. While I have to hold that L for embarrassing myself, my Esper deck still whooped ass tonight.

Hero

I suppose it's the second worst card to put in a cube behind Jace 3.0?

Pack Rat is very good but it's not unbeatable. There should be a good amount of sweeper effects in a powered cube to combat it.

Jace Memory Adapt isn't that awful either. It does seem overpowered but as a blue finisher it has too much variance. Sure there will be some games when you land it and use his mill ability twice or three times to secure the game but there are even more games where you invest 5 mana for a one time mill of ten which doesn't do you any good.

I cut Jace 3.0 a long time ago not for power issues but consistency.

Crocodile

If you have a Cube deck that can't beat a turn two Pack Rat, that's YOUR damn fault, not Pack Rat's.

I also agree that the big issue with Memory Adept is less that the card is "broken" and more that it is swingy to the point of being unfun/uninteresting. As Hero says, there are games where it auto-wins and games where it does literally nothing - few cards in Magic can claim to do the same.

On a side note, M15 previews start Monday. GET HYPE!

Went 0-3 drop for the first time in forever at FNM. Swapped to draft after the drop, which I won cleanly.

I dunno, I feel like my deck is fine but I was getting some serious mana screw. Like mulligan to a three land hand with playables then never drawing another land. Three mono-black variations straight didn't help.

But I am going to tweak my deck now, especially now that I've got a full playset of blood barons. Probably go into the full esper madness.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Did my first conspiracy draft and managed to win by employing the sane strategy I use playing four player free for all in magic 2014 on my iPad. Sit back and build your defenses till you are an unstoppable army while your opponents attack each other and then kill everyone at once. Still not sold on it though, I dislike the reveal shit that slows up the drafting. I guess I'm just a cranky old man who wants his drafting to be simple and clean.

Jaeyden

Anyone got any opinions of where VMA Power nine prices are going to go? I'm considering buying in but not sure if I should wait or just bite the bullet now.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Anyone got any opinions of where VMA Power nine prices are going to go? I'm considering buying in but not sure if I should wait or just bite the bullet now.

They'll fall through the weekend and then go higher again once the bots refill supply.

Long term I would think they'd sit around 25 for Timetwister, 100+ for Lotus and 75 for Mox. I'm just assuming that based in the price of other in demand cards. But it could go higher if Vintage is a thing and people actually want to play them.

If you have a Cube deck that can't beat a turn two Pack Rat, that's YOUR damn fault, not Pack Rat's.

I also agree that the big issue with Memory Adept is less that the card is "broken" and more that it is swingy to the point of being unfun/uninteresting. As Hero says, there are games where it auto-wins and games where it does literally nothing - few cards in Magic can claim to do the same.

Agreed on this.

My cube group just started playing with Conspiracies. I haven't gotten one so far, but I am dying to open a pack 1 pick 1 Worldknit. The drafting experience alone would be pretty great, seeing how pick orders change drastically when you can just play any color. It also seems like lands become much higher picks just because they let you decrease the size of your deck.

bigkrev

They will find a way to fuck them up on the new website. Trust me.

OnPoint

Did my first Vintage Masters draft today. Pulled a Mox Ruby, savannah, scrubland and a foil Lake of the Dead. Won round 1, lost round 2.

Feels good man.

Firemind

I'm checking the coverage page and, wow, whoever thought that the links to the pairings, results and standings should have a slightly grayer shade is brilliant. Can't navigate worth shit.

Very few things put me on serious tilt in Magic. Losing two games in a row to lose the last match of a draft, while my opponent makes obvious misplays left and right, but my deck refuses to cough up relevant spells is one of them.

It's really getting to me. My current trend of bad luck is even starting to become a running joke in my playgroup. I know that these things come in streaks - that's the nature of the beast. But...damn...

Just a little unconstructive venting. Carry on.

rCIZZLE

Got to play some RUG Delver yesterday for the first time in sanctioned matches and had a blast. The deck just feels like a machine more than any other deck I've ever played.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";116937059]

Yeah, that works. What are you looking for?[/QUOTE]
I apologize, I missed this post. Do you have trade items listed online by chance?

OnPoint

Very few things put me on serious tilt in Magic. Losing two games in a row to lose the last match of a draft, while my opponent makes obvious misplays left and right, but my deck refuses to cough up relevant spells is one of them.

It's really getting to me. My current trend of bad luck is even starting to become a running joke in my playgroup. I know that these things come in streaks - that's the nature of the beast. But...damn...

Just a little unconstructive venting. Carry on.

I know the feeling all to well. I had a similar situation happen yesterday, where I had my opponent down to two life, he killed my creatures, then I top decked land the whole rest of the game while he pulled me down from 24. Awesome!

Would partial mulligans be too strong in Standard? Do they unfairly reward certain decks?
I apologize, I missed this post. Do you have trade items listed online by chance?

Shocks, domri, kioras, promo pain seer. I dunno, mostly standard stuff since my modern stuff is all going towards my UWR deck. I'm also willing to buy/pay the difference for a good price.

Lucario

Did another conspiracy draft, organizer decided to expand it out to 5 packs/50 cards to finish off the box.

Built my deck around hidden agendas because of all of the multiples, finished constructing pretty quickly, started shuffling.... and some dude complained that he had trouble making cuts, and that we should all expand to 60 card decks. Tried explaining that it would screw up my deck & that I was already done building anyway, but he told me to add ten more, and the rest of the table stayed silent.

After finding a way to expand it to 60 (deck was completely ruined for obvious reasons, I was bummed), I sat down at the table, and the same dude starts impatiently spouting off at me, asking me if I'm done. Before I could respond, he interrupted with "oh, you haven't even shuffled yet", sighed, and looked down at the table.

Did another conspiracy draft, organizer decided to expand it out to 5 packs/50 cards to finish off the box.

Built my deck around hidden agendas because of all of the multiples, finished constructing pretty quickly, started shuffling.... and some dude complained that he had trouble making cuts, and that we should all expand to 60 card decks. Tried explaining that it would screw up my deck & that I was already done building anyway, but he told me to add ten more, and the rest of the table stayed silent.

And you listened to him?

noquarter

After finding a way to expand it to 60 (deck was completely ruined for obvious reasons, I was bummed), I sat down at the table, and the same dude starts impatiently spouting off at me, asking me if I'm done. Before I could respond, he interrupted with "oh, you haven't even shuffled yet", sighed, and looked down at the table.
He knows that 50 is the minimum, right? I would have just run the 50, not my fault he doesn't know how to draft.

Lucario

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";117728576]And you listened to him?[/QUOTE]

I tried to explain why it was a terrible idea, but he was basically the 'rules guy' of the group, and I was new there. He got annoyed that someone was disagreeing with him, and responded with some nonsensical reasons why there was "basically no difference".

If I insisted on staying at 50 cards, I'd have been arguing for an hour. Just not worth it.

Oddly enough, his friends were a blast, so it was still a fun day.

bigkrev

I'd have asked for a refund and gone home

Firemind

I tried to explain why it was a terrible idea, but he was basically the 'rules guy' of the group, and I was new there. He got annoyed that someone was disagreeing with him, and responded with some nonsensical reasons why there was "basically no difference".

If I insisted on staying at 50 cards, I'd have been arguing for an hour. Just not worth it.

Oddly enough, his friends were a blast, so it was still a fun day.

Who's the TO? Don't tell me it's the store owner. You should still tell him/her anyway what happened and that it might hurt business when a bunch of nerds tell other people what to do.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Who's the TO? Don't tell me it's the store owner. You should still tell him/her anyway what happened and that it might hurt business when a bunch of nerds tell other people what to do.

Not in this industry I think, because the "regulars" is where most of their business comes from.

Firemind

Customers come and go. If you don't welcome new players and instead be a reclusive clique, the community cannot grow, which might or might not hurt the business depending how much revenue Magic generates. There are other communities like Warhammer, Pokémon, Yugioh, various board games etc., but I'd assume Magic is a pretty lucrative revenue stream. If I were the store owner, I'd tell the guy to stop being a dick or GTFO.

ultron87

Does the new site update on Pacific Time now or something? This is the worst.

There is this at least over on Gathering Magic:

MTGP_1.jpg

kirblar

updating on pacific time schedule really sucks, no more midnight spoilers for me
It's apparently temporary while they work at fixing all the issues with the new site. They don't want 12am PST/3am EST updates either because they're annoying for the web team.

Top Bottom