• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

Aggressive Mining really makes me wish they'd print a giant land fetch artifact.

Something like:

Artifact
4,T, Sacrifice: Search for 3 basic lands and put em into play tapped. Shuffle.

red13th

They need to reprint Sakura Tribe Scout to go with Aggressive Mining.

CjE0a1G.jpg

Reminds me of my Kamigawa-Ravnica UG Snakes deck... so much fun. Best Standard format ever? Best Standard format ever.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";117857690]Man, Reid Duke is a terrible drafter. I'm watching him pass perfect cards left and right and then go 0-1. It's painful.

It's awesome sideboard for matchups you're expecting to run out of gas, like vs control game 2/3.[/QUOTE]

Just run more gas.

Man, these Reid Duke videos are actually making me mad. He had all the tools and clear signs that his deck was open, but he just consistently picks double and triple devotion cards outside his colors and multiple copies of mediocre removal when he's super short on creatures. Instead of an awesome, synergistic deck he winds up with a pile of cards that looks like someone's sealed pool. He doesn't even realize how bad his draft wound up.

Instead of picking up perfect cards to fill holes in his curve and add synergy, he'll pick off-color sideboard cards on the off-chance his opponents have six-drop bomb mythics like that's a way to ensure consistency.

At the end of the draft, he has two copies of extinguish all hope and only three enchantment creatures instead of seven. He runs 16 lands in a garbage deck that doesn't curve out and plays the same number of green and black mana even though more than half of his black cards cost double black. And then he splashes Interpret the Signs. Because his deck has to juice otherwise.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";117862196]Man, these Reid Duke videos are actually making me mad. He had all the tools and clear signs that his deck was open, but he just consistently picks double and triple devotion cards outside his colors and multiple copies of mediocre removal when he's super short on creatures. Instead of an awesome, synergistic deck he winds up with a pile of cards that looks like someone's sealed pool. He doesn't even realize how bad his draft wound up.

Instead of picking up perfect cards to fill holes in his curve and add synergy, he'll pick off-color sideboard cards on the off-chance his opponents have six-drop bomb mythics like that's a way to ensure consistency.

At the end of the draft, he has two copies of extinguish all hope and only three enchantment creatures instead of seven. He runs 16 lands in a garbage deck that doesn't curve out and plays the same number of green and black mana even though more than half of his black cards cost double black. And then he splashes Interpret the Signs. Because his deck has to juice otherwise.[/QUOTE]

There are plenty of people who are good at constructed who are very bad at draft.

There are plenty of people who are good at constructed who are very bad at draft.

Yeah, obviously Reid is a monster player but man I was cringing here. I like going to ChannelFireball's youtube channel and watching draft videos because it keeps me from going to MODO. I usually only watch the playlists with 8+ videos because I know they didn't lose, but I got trolled because this Reid playlist is actually two series of him going 0-1.

-_-

bigkrev

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";117863405]Yeah, obviously Reid is a monster player but man I was cringing here. I like going to ChannelFireball's youtube channel and watching draft videos because it keeps me from going to MODO. I usually only watch the playlists with 8+ videos because I know they didn't lose, but I got trolled because this Reid playlist is actually two series of him going 0-1.

-_-[/QUOTE]

Be thankful you aren't seeing Ochoa drafts anymore! He was Top 8'ing Limited GPs at the time but could never win a single game on MODO draft.

If I'm going to watch a weird draft, it's going to be this one. Guy thinks he messed up, inadvertently made the greatest draft deck of all time.

I posted it before, but it really is my favorite draft video.

edit: Seriously, watch the whole thing.

double edit: being punished for his mistakes hahahaha

looooooooooldwjsm.png

Oh my god his response to that game was to side in a fourth color, side out half his two drop creatures then play 41 cards because he's expecting games to go long after getting blown out on turn 7 hahahahaha

Oh man.

kirblar

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";117866297]Oh my god his response to that game was to side in a fourth color, side out half his two drop creatures then play 41 cards because he's expecting games to go long after getting blown out on turn 7 hahahahaha

Oh man.[/QUOTE]
WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT IN THEROS?

I don't even play the format but even I know "Play a consistent deck" is super important here.

The fact that he actually drew his single plains and revoke existence to blow up the keranos is pure comedy to me since it validates his decision in his head. Adding to the laughs is that he drew it on the turn he won game 2 anyway, making it totally irrelevant lol

Then he lost game three because he couldn't play anything before turn 4, ggs.

wardenofthebeyond.jpg

Warden of the Beyond is... interesting. Too bad that even if you do manage to exile one of your opponent's cards, this isn't very good.

soulofshandalar.jpg

Soul of Shandalar looks to be the most playable of the Soul cycle so far, and has great art in any case.

returntotheranks.jpg

Return to the Ranks is pretty cool. I like how with convoke, you can use it to essentially double your army.

masterofpredicaments.jpg

I really do like when sphinx cards have actual riddle elements with them.

shieldoftheavatar.jpg

Neat flavor, but the card is eh.

It's really neat to see Ob Nixilis again, though I wonder if the use of that character in particular was requested by Brad Muir or if that decision was made by the creative team.

Aggressive Mining is neat in how it can potentially be very powerful, but very easy to misuse and screw up with.

Goblin Kaboomist is great.

Yisan, the Wanderer Bard is pretty interesting.

ultron87

It is sad that the Sphinx's stats aren't good enough for constructed. It could lead to some really tough decisions where you need to have a good knowledge of the format and the deck your opponent is playing to try and guess what they might have in their hand. Obviously still a pretty good card in Limited but it is significantly more of a crapshoot there.

I'm also surprised that Sirlin made an MTG card, since I thought he thinks CCGs are the devil.

f0rk

Travis Woo is a bad player who made one good combo deck once and now keeps trying to force these dumb decks in 2 man queues to show he's some amazing deck builder who's always going against the common consensus. He did like 3 articles about that bad budget block deck that he was definitely going to play at GP Manchester and then didn't.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
It is sad that the Sphinx's stats aren't good enough for constructed. It could lead to some really tough decisions where you need to have a good knowledge of the format and the deck your opponent is playing to try and guess what they might have in their hand. Obviously still a pretty good card in Limited but it is significantly more of a crapshoot there.

Man, that would be awesome to have a card that directly rewards paying attention to the local meta. Like, directly directly.

Travis Woo is a bad player who made one good combo deck once and now keeps trying to force these dumb decks in 2 man queues to show he's some amazing deck builder who's always going against the common consensus. He did like 3 articles about that bad budget block deck that he was definitely going to play at GP Manchester and then didn't.

He's a bad player who made the best draft video ever.

Angry Grimace

Hopefully this is the cycle Chord of Calling is in.

I'm betting cash-money Chord of Calling is in.

Things I learned today: Leyline of the Void doesn't work on tokens. My poor Bridge from Below.

Angry Grimace

I think Return to the Ranks is the card that has the most potential to turn out to be busted of the ones I've seen.

Crocodile

I do hope they use this coreset to reprint some other designer cards. Crucible of Worlds could really use a reprint.

Ugh, Slivers? So we are moving from burying the warm body to desecrating the corpse? And what is the point of these when Rotation happens in a few months and the only Standard legal Slivers are these 5? What a pointless cycle. Unless they are insane on their own, it's 5 more dead slots in limited.

Did you even read the article? It was to help out the M14 slivers and the casual constructed/Tier 3 FNM decks people would make with them. They want the M14 and this set to be in T2 together for at least a small period of time and they couldn't print Slivers in Theros.

Angry Grimace

I do hope they use this coreset to reprint some other designer cards. Crucible of Worlds could really use a reprint.

Did you even read the article? It was to help out the M14 slivers and the casual constructed/Tier 3 FNM decks people would make with them. They want the M14 and this set to be in T2 together for at least a small period of time and they couldn't print Slivers in Theros.

The EV of this set is going to be abysmal. 6 Mythics are useless Planesoul cards, 1 of them is a Sliver in a set that has very few Slivers and 6 of them are Planeswalkers (apparently).

Angry Grimace

There are at least six open spots for lands on the number crunch right now, so there might be some type of duals showing up.

There has to be at least some kind of fast dual in either this set or Tarkir or its going to be the slowest format ever, but I was thinking Khans was more likely.

Angry Grimace

There are at least six open spots for lands on the number crunch right now, so there might be some type of duals showing up.

Flooded Strand, Bloodstained Mire, Polluted Delta, Wooded Foothills, Windswept Heath

BELIEVE

kirblar

I just got excited for no reason. Especially since I won 3 games because of Colonade today.
MaRo mentioned them on his blog in the form of a "Would you want us to do X?", so I expect them in the next 2 years. (75% of the time when he does that, its a tell, 25% its a real question.)

ultron87

I'm not saying it is likely, but Onslaught fetches would indeed fit right now. I could see them do five in the Core set and five in Khans, Innistrad style.

239 -
240 -
241 - Bloodstained Mire
242 - Darksteel Citadel, Uncommon
243 - Flooded Strand
244 - Polluted Delta
245 -
246 -
247 - Radiant Fountain, Common
248 - Windswept Heath
249 - Wooded Foothills
250 - Plains

You could even toss in Evolving Wilds. But more realistically I'd expect 248 and 249 to be Reliquary Tower and Terramorphic Expanse.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";117898430]Allied-colored would make more sense if they're making a new cycle of Kird Apes.[/QUOTE]

That was my thought.

With having that "challenge deck" style Garruk to battle does that seem to imply he won't be an actual Planeswalker (though different) in the core set? What do you think?

ultron87

Xenagos was both a challenge deck and two actual cards, so I don't think the existence of the "prerelease experience" Garruk rules him out as an actual card. That said, Garruk is a little different because the "challenge" card is an actual Planeswalker card in all but having a mana cost, so I could see the argument of it being really confusing to have two Garruk Planeswalker cards, even if one is a giant oversized promo.

I think it'd be crazy to push Garruk so hard and not have a card. He's going to be on all the posters and boosters packs and stuff. I have to imagine he'd definitely be openable.

rCIZZLE

No way they're going to let us have:
Fetches
DRS
Courser
Thoughtseize
edit: and of course shocklands as noted below

in the same standard. Even for a couple months.

Top Bottom