• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
There needs to be a warning on booster packs stating that this game is highly addictive and will not be cheap to play.

Just recently started because my brother is having a baby and we thought it might be a cheap form of entertainment.

$500 later and wtf I still need more cards!

Still trying to learn the lingo but I am lurking hard on these threads and others gaining knowledge like an evil mastermind until my destiny can be realized as the worlds greatest magic player of all time!!!...... o____o

Hah

hahahahahahaha

hahahaha

*wipes tear*

oh man

mercviper

Double post. Have to do it.

I have 116 event tickets. I want to spend them all tomorrow. I'm finding that the prices fluctuate wildly. Is there a way to find what I want for the cheapest prices available? GTC/RtR shocks and rares/uncommons, mostly.

Most of the bots online seem to have their prices listed on wikiprice. It's not always up to date but it's a pretty easy way to find where the cheaper cards will be sold.

There needs to be a warning on booster packs stating that this game is highly addictive and will not be cheap to play.

Just recently started because my brother is having a baby and we thought it might be a cheap form of entertainment.

Still trying to learn the lingo but I am lurking hard on these threads and others gaining knowledge like an evil mastermind until my destiny can be realized as the worlds greatest magic player of all time!!!...... o____o

ahahahahah -_- What format are you playing?

f0rk

Can someone explain clan defiance to me and why it isn't worth anything, it seems like a really good card so I must be missing something

It's way too expensive to be playable removal and it's only a 2 for 1 in certain situations.
Also if you wanted a fireball Devil's Play is way better.

I've threw a few bit at it too since I started last year. Looking back, a lot was wasted since I really didn't know what I was doing in regards to collecting/deckbuilding.

Is it mostly singles or sealed product you're buying?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
It doesn't have a very good damage to cost ratio even though it can hit multiple things.

That's silly. It's 2cmc and X, same as most fireballs, the damage doesn't get divided. The damage to cost ratio is actually quite good.

It's just not as effective an effect as it's competition (Devil's Play for flashback, Rakdos Return for hand disruption).

Looking to make order a batch of singles soon from EU MTG card market. Any bad words to say about it? Seems pretty solid as a system, though you have to pay for insurance to 'benefit' from the site support if a purchase goes awry.

scoot3r

I'm a standard player so I've been selling my innistrad stuff on eBay ( I barely have time for standard) seems no one is thinking post rotation yet.

ultron87

If I wanted to buy the rest of the Shocklands I don't have 4 of when would the theoretical price floor be? Right before next core set when RTR/GC/DM stops getting drafted?

Why? Deck looks like silly fun.

I liked Omnidoor. I don't like this deck. I don't like Unexpected Results as a card. The design is lazy and it makes games uninteresting. It's just rolling dice and seeing if you happen to win on the spot. Oh you flipped an Omniscience off of your turn 3 Unexpected Results? Congratulations; I guess you deserved it?

I get that variance is part of magic, but I really dislike cards with swingy and completely unpredictable effects like this. Usually they only ever get played in janky kitchen-table decks, which doesn't bother me at all, but I would absolutely hate to go to FNM or heaven forbid a PTQ and have to sit across from this.

I just buy bricks and see what I can make out of them. That's only $20 for one.

OnPoint

I liked Omnidoor. I don't like this deck. I don't like Unexpected Results as a card. The design is lazy and it makes games uninteresting. It's just rolling dice and seeing if you happen to win on the spot. Oh you flipped an Omniscience off of your turn 3 Unexpected Results? Congratulations; I guess you deserved it?

I get that variance is part of magic, but I really dislike cards with swingy and completely unpredictable effects like this. Usually they only ever get played in janky kitchen-table decks, which doesn't bother me at all, but I would absolutely hate to go to FNM or heaven forbid a PTQ and have to sit across from this.
Counter magic isn't a thing anymore? Negate is 100% still a spell. Spell Rupture is around. I like a deck like this to succeed at first because it could shake standard up.

Fair enough. FWIW, I feel the same way about most Mill strategies. "No, you didn't win on skill, you just happened to zap my relevant cards and leave me with only/no land."

MiicD

Banned
I've threw a few bit at it too since I started last year. Looking back, a lot was wasted since I really didn't know what I was doing in regards to collecting/deckbuilding.

Is it mostly singles or sealed product you're buying?

ahahahahah -_- What format are you playing?

Well yeah sealed at first, I mean you know you see the boosters and the event decks and you (if you're a newbie like me) think well shit that’s not too bad, $20-30 for some cards to play with, sure... Than all hell breaks fucking loose and you realize you must acquire all the hellkites and reckoners for you to stand a solid chance at victory in them damn standard tourneys (I went to one and went 0-6 lol)

As I gain more knowledge I am seeing the smart way to go about acquiring cards now for decks but damn them first couple of weeks was madness.

I tend to do most of my hobbies with a little flare or theme, I love building themed decks for fun (Just built my kitty deck with that stupid kitty deck box haha) so I tend to spend more money than I probably need too.

All in all though I really love this game, I've been card/tabletop gaming since I was 5 or 6 and as much as I enjoy video games there is nothing like good ol face to face friendly gaming especially when you can share a beer.

Wichu

Looking to make order a batch of singles soon from EU MTG card market. Any bad words to say about it? Seems pretty solid as a system, though you have to pay for insurance to 'benefit' from the site support if a purchase goes awry.

I've ordered from sellers there many times - I haven't used insured shipping at all, and haven't had any problems. If you're buying valuable cards it's probably worth it.
My only gripe is that because the sellers are scattered all over Europe, shipping times are all over the place - I've had one order arrive the next day, and another take two weeks. It's inevitable given the system, however.

I've ordered from sellers there many times - I haven't used insured shipping at all, and haven't had any problems. If you're buying valuable cards it's probably worth it.
My only gripe is that because the sellers are scattered all over Europe, shipping times are all over the place - I've had one order arrive the next day, and another take two weeks. It's inevitable given the system, however.

Good to hear! The trader I'm going to use has many thousands of orders, so I'm pretty happy avoiding insurance since it's a sub 20 Euro purchase.

I still can't get over the prices in general on the site. For example the same basket on Troll Trader Cards would be nearly double the price!

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Hey gents. Found some cards from way back in 93/94 and was wondering if you could tell me if there is anything worth anything in this deck. I never really played Magic the Gathering but I did have this deck because of other classmates that played.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for the blurry pics to come:

GB2WRgd.jpg

rGQiHQz.jpg

qLIXR5r.jpg

I apologize if this is not the place to ask, but I really have no clue about this.

unfortunately, those are worth nothing.

nothing from revised is worth anything besides dual lands. doppleganger used to be worth something, but not anymore.

serendib efreet maybe...

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Hey gents. Found some cards from way back in 93/94 and was wondering if you could tell me if there is anything worth anything in this deck. I never really played Magic the Gathering but I did have this deck because of other classmates that played.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for the blurry pics to come:

I apologize if this is not the place to ask, but I really have no clue about this.

They're largely from 4th Edition, with a smattering of what may limited edition beta. But, no sorry. Nothing worth anything that I can see.

actually, the majority is revised, with a few dark and homelands in there.

there maybe 1 beta card

edit: there are no beta cards. the black borders are legends, fallen empires, and the dark.

all the white bordered cards are from revised

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Thanks fellas, guess they will be off to the Goodwill or I could try and get like $10 from someone possibly. Aww well.

WanderingWind

Playtesting both all evening in the tourney practice room. RDW is 5-2, Gruul is 4-3.

I don't like Vexing devil in RDW because that card is kinda ass and I'm debating legion loyalist or flinthoof in place of slaughterhorn in Gruul.

Edit: derp

Sinatar

Playtesting both all evening in the tourney practice room. RDW is 5-2, Gruul is 4-3.

I don't like Vexing devil in RDW because that card is kinda ass and I'm debating legion loyalist or flinthoof in place of slaughterhorn in Gruul.

Maybe try replacing Vexing Devil with Stromkirk Noble.

Jarate

Banned

why not Rakdos Cackler?

alternade

So I want to bring monoblack to FNM tonight. So far my the skeleton I have is:

4x Crypt Ghast
3x Griselbrand
4x Vampire Nighthawk
3x Duress
2x Devour Flesh
1x Tribute to Hunger

Anything else in the way of removal, creatures, etc you would suggest? I would like to run Shimian Specter but everyone tells me its to slow to run and have to protect.

Sinatar

4x Crypt Ghast
3x Griselbrand
4x Vampire Nighthawk
3x Duress
2x Devour Flesh
1x Tribute to Hunger

Anything else in the way of removal, creatures, etc you would suggest? I would like to run Shimian Specter but everyone tells me its to slow to run and have to protect.

4 mutilates is a must.

OnPoint

4x Crypt Ghast
3x Griselbrand
4x Vampire Nighthawk
3x Duress
2x Devour Flesh
1x Tribute to Hunger

Splash white for Unburial Rites flashback?

Veezy

que?
Okay, so I'm wanting to break into Limited on MTGO. What should I start with?

Also, mad mad mad props to MTGO Academy. Hooked me up, with an email, with a 15% bot credit since I bought 4x of all common/uncommon cards from the standard sets (minus M13). Also, their staff is incredibly helpful. Seriously, if you're buying online cards, they gives mad love.

Fuzzery

Draft is actually pretty cheap if you are good and go to a store with good pricing (superstars)

Pretty much you can open enough value to break even, even make a little

WanderingWind

Right, I'd ditch the guild gates right off the bat. I'm assuming the clifftop retreat missing 2 cards is due to availability? I'd also ditch 2 of the firemanes for mizzium mortars. You definitely need removal. Not a fan of Assenble the Legion - by time it's doing anything, the game is probably close to over anyway - but other than that, it looks really fun!

Top Bottom