• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I feel like Stronghold Overseer as a target for the Acolyte could give you something to do with the extra mana you're going to have around. Unblockable and if you can sink the mana a great way to keep yourself alive.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Are there any streams/twitter feeds for the WOTC panel?

Kurtofan

"Born of the Gods" and "Journey into Nyx" are the other two sets.

Gruul champion:

Ruric Thar, the unbowed 4RG
Vigilance, Reach
Attacks each turn if a able
Whenever a player casts a noncreature spell, deal 6 damage to that player
6/6

ultron87

Gruul Champion

4GR
6/6

Reach Vigilance
Attack each turn if able.
When an opponent casts a non creature spell Card name does six damage to them.

Haly

This is a 10 card 6 drop cycle for Dragon's Maze?

I think it's a "Champion" cycle and not necessarily at 6CMC. Kind of like how the guild leaders aren't all the same cost.

Wichu

I'm liking the look of the guild champions (if they're all roughly equal in power to Ruric Thar). Can't wait to put Vorel into my Simic deck.
The Izzet champ looks like a Weird; hopefully he'll have a crazy ability.

EDIT: Might as well make a list. Lists are nice.

Azorius: Lavinia of the Tenth
Orzhov: Teysa, Envoy of Ghosts
Boros: Tajic, Blade of the Legion
Selesnya: Emmara Tandris
Dimir: Mirko Vosk, Mind Drinker
Izzet: Melec, Izzet Paragon
Simic: Vorel of the Hull Clade
Rakdos: Exava, Rakdos Blood Witch
Golgari: Varolz, the Scar-Striped
Gruul: Ruric Thar, the Unbowed

Jarate

Banned
Its a shame they wasted their generic asian set on kamigawa, the more I think about it, the more I want a set based off of Indian mythology

Haly

Its a shame they wasted their generic asian set on kamigawa, the more I think about it, the more I want a set based off of Indian mythology

That's still wholly possible, since it's more South Asia than East Asia!

Loxodons would fit well there.

f0rk

Wasn't really that much info at the panel. When do they usually start reveals for the special June set (Modern Masters)?

Haly

How about a return to Portal set instead where Guan Yu is a planeswalker or something.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
They showed one piece of art from the greek set and it was of a *giant* zeus looking god figure getting ready to unleash some righteous fury on something.

Given the crazy size of this dude, I'm wondering if this set is going to be a sort of spiritual successor to Rise of the Eldrazi, only this time the big giant bomby dudes will probably be coloured.

f0rk

They showed one piece of art from the greek set and it was of a *giant* zeus looking god figure getting ready to unleash some righteous fury on something.

Given the crazy size of this dude, I'm wondering if this set is going to be a sort of spiritual successor to Rise of the Eldrazi, only this time the big giant bomby dudes will probably be coloured.

I don't follow the lore that much but aren't the Planeswalkers looking for something to fight the Eldrazi? Maybe they find these Greek god dudes to do it

f0rk

I was thinking the Eldrazi are the Titans in the classic Gods vs Titans fight

But yeah Greek/Romans is a cool idea for a set surprised they haven't done it before.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I was thinking the Eldrazi are the Titans in the classic Gods vs Titans fight

But yeah Greek/Romans is a cool idea for a set surprised they haven't done it before.

Well a lot of early Magic had a lot of Grecian influence, but I bet they feel that they've been doing the more creative fantasy worlds for long enough now that they can go ahead and do an actual directly inspired block.

Jarate

Banned
Indian mythology has little to do with Japan.

Kamigawa was Japan the set, not Asia the set.
A lot of awful people (aka a large portion ofthe fanbase) will recognize it as either "weaboo shit" or be upset that its not fantasy.

I also dont think theyre going to do anoter "ssian" set after kamigawa was so hated.

JulianImp

A lot of awful people (aka a large portion ofthe fanbase) will recognize it as either "weaboo shit" or be upset that its not fantasy.

I also dont think theyre going to do anoter "ssian" set after kamigawa was so hated.

It's quite sad, since that theme could lead to some interesting stuff. Sadly the Kamigawa block was ridiculously parasitic and had to slow the game down after the overpowered trainwreck that was Mirrodin block, so it was full of mostly forgettable creatures.

I wish we'd get Splice into X as a keyword back soon, though, probably for instants/sorceries, since Splice into permanents would be really, really clunky and full of memory issues. That was one really interesting mechanic I think they could use in many different and fun ways.

The greek-themed set sounds fun, but I wish we'd get an original plane like Ravnica, since it's more fun to see just a few simple references to real world mythology than blocks based completely around it.

Kurtofan

t2Bb1tO.png

Looks like it's art for Theros.

Hex

Banned
Oddly enough the Celts used to actually use a method with their foot at times.
Truth. (not really, legend but still this is legend right?)

I updated the contents of the lot I am selling and added quite a bit, since I really need the cash. Mix of Legacy, modern and Standard.
250 shipped.

1x Gaea's Cradle (nm)
4x Thragtusk
1x Flooded Grove
1x Wooded Bastion
1x Olivia Voldaren
1x Restoration Angel (pack foil)
2x restoration angel
3x Huntmaster of the fells
2x domri rade (1x russian)
1x Boros Reckoner (russian)
1x Aurelia's Fury (russian)
2x Champion of the Parish
1x Primordial Hydra
1 x Primordial Hydra (promo)
1x Drogskol Reaver
4x Sunpetal Grove
4x Rootbound Crag
2x Drowned Catacomb
4x Hinterland Harbor

Edit:
So far most of these M14 things have not moved me but I have to say that Kalonian Tusker

Kalonian Tusjker
GG
Creature - Beast
Uncommon
3/3

is kind of beastly.
If Rancor is still in, even better.

I'm making a knights deck for modern, this is it so far. Any suggestions are welcomed, especially for sideboard.

23 CREATURES:
2x Hero of Bladehold
4x Knight Exemplar
4x Knight of Meadowgrain
3x Knight of the White Orchid
4x Leonin Skyhunter
4x Mirran Crusader
2x Student of Warfare

15 SPELLS:
3x Day of Judgment
4x Honor of the Pure
4x Oblivion Ring
4x Path to Exile

22 LANDS:
4x Cavern of Souls
2x Emeria, the Sky Ruin
16x Plains

15 SIDEBOARD: (Incomplete)
2x Rest in Peace
2x Sword of Fire and Ice
2x Sword of Light and Shadow

Some very disjointed thoughts:

You could really up your power level by splashing green for Knight of the Reliquary and Wilt-Leaf Leige. This also gives you access to sweet stuff like Horizon Canopy, Stirring Wildwood, and Rancor, but obviously the manabase gets really expensive.

Don't run Day of Judgement; that's so far away from what you want to be doing. You just want spot removal in the form of Path to Exile. I'd even go so far as to put the O-Rings in the side.

I think a key piece of tech you're missing is Brave the Elements.

Also, if you've got it, a singleton Elspeth, Knight-Errant could be backbreaking.

Kinsbaile Cavalier seems nuts as a one-of as well.

Sideboard needs Thalia. Maybe Leyline of Sanctity as well? You also need Stony Silence. If you're not running Knight of the Reliquary, you should consider Rest in Peace as well.

Some very disjointed thoughts:

You could really up your power level by splashing green for Knight of the Reliquary and Wilt-Leaf Leige. This also gives you access to sweet stuff like Horizon Canopy, Stirring Wildwood, and Rancor, but obviously the manabase gets really expensive.

Don't run Day of Judgement; that's so far away from what you want to be doing. You just want spot removal in the form of Path to Exile. I'd even go so far as to put the O-Rings in the side.

I think a key piece of tech you're missing is Brave the Elements.

Also, if you've got it, a singleton Elspeth, Knight-Errant could be backbreaking.

Kinsbaile Cavalier seems nuts as a one-of as well.

Sideboard needs Thalia. Maybe Leyline of Sanctity as well? You also need Stony Silence. If you're not running Knight of the Reliquary, you should consider Rest in Peace as well.

I will consider splashing green. But it worries me.

I like Day of Judgement if the game goes late, or alternatively, to clear the way for knights. Obviously, given the deck I don't want the game to go late. But, having 2 exemplar's on the board makes me not care if I board wipe. Actually, DoJ is a holdover. At one time I was considering running Knight of the Holy Nimbus. DoJ would let them regenerate. I've since pulled out Knight of the Holy Nimbus, so I should switch to Wrath of God. Emeria, is also in there for late game to pull creatures out of the graveyard if need be.

Bave the Elements: Yes bolts and path's are always of concern, that would indeed help.

Elspeth is a possibility.

I go back and forth on Kinsbaile Cavalier, (very useful) but Hero of Bladehold seems to put in more work particularly with honor of the pure on the board. Not sure, I may side in kinsbaile cavalier.

Stony Silence: Yeah sounds good.

Rest in peace: Is already in sideboard.

Considering running a couple Ghost Quarter's, basically a strip mine.

Haly

I hold everyone in this thread responsible.

I hope you enjoy your narrow overcosted liability.

Top Bottom