• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Going immediately to color, rather than to concepts, is not good.

With enchantments more than any other card type I really feel like color is going to determine the mechanical space though. Like, if we determined the mechanic first its going to be pretty obvious what color it would be

I guess the main problem is this rules out multicolor...

OnPoint

smh enchantment beat out land in ymtc.

this is already a disaster.

So that's one or two more for the CMC than would make it playable, and it will likely be some weird, crazy effect that's not useful at all. Great. Wish they'd let it be powerful enough to see constructed play, but they won't.

Kurtofan

Dragon's Maze artworks:

Ral Zarek doing something with lightning:

jBzEPFml.jpg

Izzet Champion:Melek, Izzet Paragon:

pCrwTFVl.jpg

New Boros Guildgate artwork:

HvX0LZVl.jpg

New Golgari Guildgate:

ltAmjURl.jpg

New Simic Guildgate:

u78S3ivl.jpg

Rakdos Champion:Exava, Blood Witch.

KMjxZrwl.jpg

Boros Legion attacking Niv Mizzet:

018OGQ6l.jpg

Jace doing some maze map-making:

cXNchcol.jpg

The Maze's End outside the Azorius Senate:

f1L2QwZl.jpg

Boros champion,Tajic, Blade of the Legion:

j6QWum9l.jpg

PsionBolt

Welp. I expected them to at least ask Aura or non-aura before colour. If it's an aura, I'd want white, but if it's non-aura, I'd want black. How to vote...

ruricthartheunbowed.jpg

You saved that counterspell right? This might be a problem then... Seems like EDH bait but could see some play in standard or god forbid in legacy reanimator against combo.

Veezy

que?
Anybody interested in going paper only? Kicking around the idea of trading my paper for tickets and/or MTGO cards.

I'm kinda in the opposite situation. I have a large collection but just can't seem motivated to continue to buy paper cards. Are there convinent ways to go from paper to MTGO? Also, are there deals for common/uncommon collections for online like there is for paper?

Jarate

Banned
I'm making a knights deck for modern, this is it so far. Any suggestions are welcomed, especially for sideboard.

23 CREATURES:
2x Hero of Bladehold
4x Knight Exemplar
4x Knight of Meadowgrain
3x Knight of the White Orchid
4x Leonin Skyhunter
4x Mirran Crusader
2x Student of Warfare

15 SPELLS:
3x Day of Judgment
4x Honor of the Pure
4x Oblivion Ring
4x Path to Exile

22 LANDS:
4x Cavern of Souls
2x Emeria, the Sky Ruin
16x Plains

15 SIDEBOARD: (Incomplete)
2x Rest in Peace
2x Sword of Fire and Ice
2x Sword of Light and Shadow

I also run mono white knights modern

Brave the elements is an incredible card for this deck

Also, your forgetting about kinsbale cavalier which is going to help a lot

Throw in 4 student of warfare, since you need more 1 drop.

I also personally use Sun Lance, but its not a very good card, I mostly use it for price reasons

Also, if you're looking to survive a bolt, throw in a wilt lief cavalier. A 3/4 with vigilance for 3 is very awesome.

Haven't played in almost a year, have a three day Legacy / Vintage event this weekend. Ordering cards today (have most of the pricey stuff already) so I can test on Wed.

Thinking Jund in Legacy because it's straightforward to pilot and I know how to play targeted discard given that I played Cabal Therapy in Nic Fit for months and learned how to take the most threatening card out of their hand without even seeing their hand first.

Vintage-I am expecting a lot of workshops. Was thinking about running a BUG build with five mana dorks in a 4/1 Deathrite/Hierarch split. Bobs, three Snapcasters, Vendilion Cliques and Jaces. Rest is just a mix of permission, a couple of discard spells, and the broken shit. I played a Bant build a while back but hated STP maindeck and want to play Abrupt Decay there instead.

Seems OK?

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I'm kinda in the opposite situation. I have a large collection but just can't seem motivated to continue to buy paper cards. Are there convinent ways to go from paper to MTGO? Also, are there deals for common/uncommon collections for online like there is for paper?

That's like, my exact position!

But yeah. Realistically, I understand paper is worth more. But not for me, at the moment. I would be okay trading across the board with somebody who wants an insane collection of cards for MTGO tickets or collections.

Lovecraftian Horrors vs Greek Titans.

A little late, but I'm in love with this idea. Hell, I'm just pumper for a Greek Mythology set in general.

I will say, between Innistrad, Return to Ravnica, and Theros, Wizards seem to be doing a good job of keeping this new batch of players hooked with popular top-down concepts for blocks. I wonder how long this string will last?

ultron87

I'm a big fan of the zoomed out Guildgate art they are doing for all of the DM gates. Seeing big swathes of the city and how each guild affects them is very cool.

sammich

ruricthartheunbowed.jpg

You saved that counterspell right? This might be a problem then... Seems like EDH bait but could see some play in standard or god forbid in legacy reanimator against combo.

I know this is probably kinda dumb to do.. well possibly.. but what if i cast divine deflection with him out. It would then proceed to do 6 damage to me, and i redirect that to anyone i want including the other player? What can the other player do? Nothing really. He will have to eat 6. Lots of mana yes, but if you ever get this dude out, you should have the mana regardless.

sammich

His trigger would resolve before Divine Deflection does so it couldn't redirect it.

Gah, damn trigger rules. The trigger wouldnt have happened if i didnt cast the spell in the first place.

Instead of me doing this:

Casting divine deflection for 6
Triggering Thar to do 6 to me
redirecting to opponent

I get this

Try to cast divine deflection
Get hit with 6 damage
Divine deflection completes and is now useless

Veezy

que?
That's like, my exact position!

But yeah. Realistically, I understand paper is worth more. But not for me, at the moment. I would be okay trading across the board with somebody who wants an insane collection of cards for MTGO tickets or collections.

The funny thing, that I've found, about the value of MTG cards is how liquid it is. I mean, based on location and who's available and how much trouble you're willing to go through can really fuck with things.

Like, I don't want to sell shit on eBay. So I have to do it locally. In East Tennessee. Nobody around here is paying true value for a lot of shit unless you know how to really sell or you're pitching legacy, and I took a several year vacation from the game so I'm a bit out of the loop. Online may be worth "less" but if I can get a high enough percentage of X card online versus what I "should" get for X card locally, it's kinda a wash.

That, and playing online lets me avoid my local game store. Shit's a fucking mess. My only real issue is figuring out how to make the most out of drafting and how to actually use the trading system. Confuses me a bit.

WanderingWind

The funny thing, that I've found, about the value of MTG cards is how liquid it is. I mean, based on location and who's available and how much trouble you're willing to go through can really fuck with things.

Like, I don't want to sell shit on eBay. So I have to do it locally. In East Tennessee. Nobody around here is paying true value for a lot of shit unless you know how to really sell or you're pitching legacy, and I took a several year vacation from the game so I'm a bit out of the loop. Online may be worth "less" but if I can get a high enough percentage of X card online versus what I "should" get for X card locally, it's kinda a wash.

That, and playing online lets me avoid my local game store. Shit's a fucking mess. My only real issue is figuring out how to make the most out of drafting and how to actually use the trading system. Confuses me a bit.

I feel ya. Add into the idea that my old dinosaur brain can't let go of - that the cards don't like, exist, man - and it's a recipe for opening MTGO, wish I played it more, looking at my collection then realizing I'd have rebuy all the good cards and closing it out.

Plus, ORCs are about as useful as a bowlful of rancid cat milk.

Veezy

que?
I feel ya. Add into the idea that my old dinosaur brain can't let go of - that the cards don't like, exist, man - and it's a recipe for opening MTGO, wish I played it more, looking at my collection then realizing I'd have rebuy all the good cards and closing it out.

Plus, ORCs are about as useful as a bowlful of rancid cat milk.

You could always just start anew, mang. Just participate in drafts for the current set, the next block only complete in block only tournaments, and in a year from now you should have a solid collection. Give you time to sell your cards. It's probably what I'll do.

If anybody adds people to their buddy list on MTGO, my name's Veezy on there, too. I keeps it consistent.

WanderingWind

You could always just start anew, mang. Just participate in drafts for the current set, the next block only complete in block only tournaments, and in a year from now you should have a solid collection. Give you time to sell your cards. It's probably what I'll do.

If anybody adds people to their buddy list on MTGO, my name's Veezy on there, too. I keeps it consistent.

Heh. I was going to do exactly that, but then I got all excited for RtR and bought a fuckton amount of that set. Like. A fuckton and a half.

So, maybe next block. The greek/roman thing is interesting, but not OMG I MUST BUY AN ENTIRE CASE.

Which didn't happen.

...It happened.

Veezy

que?
Heh. I was going to do exactly that, but then I got all excited for RtR and bought a fuckton amount of that set. Like. A fuckton and a half.

So, maybe next block. The greek/roman thing is interesting, but not OMG I MUST BUY AN ENTIRE CASE.

Which didn't happen.

...It happened.

Is there, like, a "buy a case" option for MTGO? Cause, if so, that would pretty much make me done with paper.

WanderingWind

Is there, like, a "buy a case" option for MTGO? Cause, if so, that would pretty much make me done with paper.

There is, but by all accounts, it's a very bad way to get into MTGO. I mean, the non-mythics online are fractions of pennies.

JulianImp

Guess who still sucks at drafts?

ME!

I'm on the same boat. Over time I've gotten way better at Sealed, but I still suck at reading signals and noticing which colors are open in drafts, which result in many underwhelming decks.

I mostly do well at times when other players underdraft the colors I'm using (which is not a good tactic). I remember having done well back in Morningtide launch party, and more recently using U/R decks in Dark Ascension and Return to Ravnica (3x instant-speed lava axes were my MVPs, closing games after my bunch of small creatures got outclassed by my opponent's).

The DKA deck I built was a sick aggro-tempo deck, using that red 2/1 hasty Ripper vampire and clearing its way with several Griptides, direct damage and even some Artful Dodges (a niche card that really helped the deck's strategy).

It doesn't help that I often get little to no powerful rares in the packs I open, so longer games tend to be an uphill battle against some huge and/or overpowered creatures.

All-out aggro just isn't my cup of tea, so I often end up making subpar choices to work around that. Learning to distance draft decks from constructed ones is something I still have to work on.

WanderingWind

See, my problem is more basic. I draft for constructed. The formats are totally different. Also, Exhort doesn't work the way I thought it did...only once per spell. Oy.

Hopefully you aren't judging that off of GTC limited. GTC limited is absolute shit.

GTC isn't the issue here. I am...lol

JulianImp

See, my problem is more basic. I draft for constructed. The formats are totally different. Also, Exhort doesn't work the way I thought it did...only once per spell. Oy.

It's still a strong ability, but you'd have to prioritize cheaper spells over more expensive ones to get more mileage out of it. The Thrull Parasite guy was quite useful against evolve, and even saved me once against that R/W enchantment which puts counters on itself and pumps out a 1/1 token per each counter on it.

How do you like sealed? It's an easier format (you won't have to worry about picking stuff, but rather about building decks with what you get). It's considerably easier to do than drafting and playing the format will teach you many things about limited deckbuilding that you'll be able to apply when drafting.

WanderingWind

It's still a strong ability, but you'd have to prioritize cheaper spells over more expensive ones to get more mileage out of it. The Thrull Parasite guy was quite useful against evolve, and even saved me once against that R/W enchantment which puts counters on itself and pumps out a 1/1 token per each counter on it.

How do you like sealed? It's an easier format (you won't have to worry about picking stuff, but rather about building decks with what you get). It's considerably easier to do than drafting and playing the format will teach you many things about limited deckbuilding that you'll be able to apply when drafting.

Yeah, Thrull Parasite kept me from losing pretty badly, but again, when you draft thinking a mechanic works one way and it totally doesn't, you're going to lose.

And, it's weird. I have the money, time and desire to play more MTGO limited. But I can't help but feel as if I'm throwing money away that I could be using to buy shocklands. Which is fucking stupid, I know. Maybe contructed tourneys for a bit, after I buy the lands

alternade

I had an awesome draft last Saturday. A newbie kid passed me a domri and reckoner. The whole table pretty much hated me at that point lol

WanderingWind

Grixis zombies is a thing.

Also, I opened the absolute worst - and I mean the worst - sealed queue ever. The best thing I opened with a Assemble the Legion. I wish I had taken a screen shot of it, because it was terrible. Not enough of any one color to build anything. For instance, I opened 3 Alms Beast, 3 Frenzied Tilling - no Orzhov charm, Pet, or hell, even any bloodrush cards.

WanderingWind

Double post. Have to do it.

I have 116 event tickets. I want to spend them all tomorrow. I'm finding that the prices fluctuate wildly. Is there a way to find what I want for the cheapest prices available? GTC/RtR shocks and rares/uncommons, mostly.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I find that MTGO Traders and MTGO Academy bots generally have the lowest prices. Avoid supernovabots like the plague unless you feel like paying a 30% premium.

MiicD

Banned
There needs to be a warning on booster packs stating that this game is highly addictive and will not be cheap to play.

Just recently started because my brother is having a baby and we thought it might be a cheap form of entertainment.

$500 later and wtf I still need more cards!

Still trying to learn the lingo but I am lurking hard on these threads and others gaining knowledge like an evil mastermind until my destiny can be realized as the worlds greatest magic player of all time!!!...... o____o

Top Bottom