• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Battle for Zendikar |OT| Lands matter (but nothing else does)

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's the deal with the pricing on these Expeditions, are the values just estimates or are they actually regularly selling at these prices?
I pulled this guy...

Being relatively new to MtG I don't know how values on stuff like this traditionally work, is it likely to hold its value, go up/down...?
I'm in the UK, and looking on eBay and places like Magic Madhouse the prices seem to be all over the place.
As much as I could use another Flooded Strand I don't really want to play with it, and if I could get those top prices for it I'd rather get rid of it and put my money into a set of Gideon's that I can use.
Anyone in the UK know the best way/place for me to sell this if they are actually selling for those high prices and not just listed at them with no hope?
Those prices are no going to drop. Good lands sell for exorbitant prices, congratulations.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Gideon really is the best. 4 mana planeswalkers for life

What's the deal with the pricing on these Expeditions, are the values just estimates or are they actually regularly selling at these prices?
I pulled this guy...

Being relatively new to MtG I don't know how values on stuff like this traditionally work, is it likely to hold its value, go up/down...?
I'm in the UK, and looking on eBay and places like Magic Madhouse the prices seem to be all over the place.
As much as I could use another Flooded Strand I don't really want to play with it, and if I could get those top prices for it I'd rather get rid of it and put my money into a set of Gideon's that I can use.
Anyone in the UK know the best way/place for me to sell this if they are actually selling for those high prices and not just listed at them with no hope?

You could get like 7 Gideons for that one card

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Goddamnit I love the new Gideon. I legitimately considered playing 4 Gideon.

traveler

Not Wario
Goddamnit I love the new Gideon. I legitimately considered playing 4 Gideon.

Probably the best planeswalker ever printed for running 4. The -4 emblem is such a good ability, partially BECAUSE it's easy to kill him with it given that you tend to use the zeroes. His loyalty in general works out great right now. He starts at 4, just out of range of draconic roar, touch of the void, mantis rider, and most damage that can be presented without response. Can stay at 4 indefinitely with his tokens, and can cash out super easily when you draw a 2nd. I don't think he's the best pw ever by any means, but he's easily my favorite to play with.

I bought another Fat Pack. I'm scared to open it.

I almost would have rather purchased the Mono Red C14 Commander pre-con. Or 4x BFZ Event Deck with Hangarback Walker in it with the money I spent on these two Fat Packs.

Guaranteed Pulls > Random Pulls

Jhriad

I bought another Fat Pack. I'm scared to open it.

I almost would have rather purchased the Mono Red C14 Commander pre-con. Or 4x BFZ Event Deck with Hangarback Walker in it with the money I spent on these two Fat Packs.

Guaranteed Pulls > Random Pulls

Singles at peak supply > Guaranteed Pulls > Random Pulls

Hackworth

Oh we've moved back to community? I was wondering why I couldn't find this thread.

How worth is the new Event Deck?
I'm thinking of getting into standard, and I think I could add From Beyond and Smothering Abomination to the deck.

Matriox

Dragonlord Ojutai is really expensive again.

Oh we've moved back to community? I was wondering why I couldn't find this thread.

How worth is the new Event Deck?
I'm thinking of getting into standard, and I think I could add From Beyond and Smothering Abomination to the deck.

Saffron Olive did an article about the event deck awhile ago, he seems to think so.

Wichu

Drafted BFZ again. A friend opened Godless Shrine. That's 2/2 drafts that someone in my pod has opened an Expedition. Hopefully it's my turn next :)

Bandini

Made a really nice GR landfall draft deck, match 1 I roll over my opponent in game 1 and then he hits Sire of Stagnation turn 6 in game 1 and turn 5 in game 3. I still almost won, coulda played better, oh well.

Is Gideon gonna see a lot of Modern play? AKA: Once he rotates, will his value just basically stay the same as opposed to dive?

He seems, like people have said, a lot of fun to play without being oppressive so I'd like to grab a couple at some point if I don't get any in drafts. But whatevs.

traveler

Not Wario
Anticlimatic finale. Oh well.

Now I need to figure out what to do with my gw list once the pieces come in to make it ready for dealing with all the decks that will be more prepared at States. Deck was strangely ignored in most discussion this past week, given the 2nd place placement before, but I don't see it staying that way this week given 4 in the top 8, including the top 2.

MjFrancis

Gideon is $30, all from Standard-related demand. If he finds a home in Modern, I'd wager that he'll settle at $10 or less after rotation. If not, it will be closer to $5. Four-mana planeswalkers in Modern need to really turn the game around to see play. I don't know if he does more than the options currently available to warrant play.

red13th

Is Gideon gonna see a lot of Modern play? AKA: Once he rotates, will his value just basically stay the same as opposed to dive?

He seems, like people have said, a lot of fun to play without being oppressive so I'd like to grab a couple at se point if I don't get any in drafts. But whatevs.

idk how much better he is than Elspeth (who doesn't see much play) to be honest. I actually like Elspeth more.

kirblar

Gideon is $30, all from Standard-related demand. If he finds a home in Modern, I'd wager that he'll settle at $10 or less after rotation. If not, it will be closer to $5. Four-mana planeswalkers in Modern need to really turn the game around to see play. I don't know if he does more than the options currently available to warrant play.
He is not going to go down anytime soon. Only up. Nothing in the set can soak value away from him.

It's JTMS/miniJace all over again.

MjFrancis

Anticlimatic finale. Oh well.

Now I need to figure out what to do with my gw list once the pieces come in to make it ready for dealing with all the decks that will be more prepared at States. Deck was strangely ignored in most discussion this past week, given the 2nd place placement before, but I don't see it staying that way this week given 4 in the top 8, including the top 2.
A playset of Gideons + Canopy Vista into an existing shell isn't too exciting, so people slept on it. People like to fuss with new cards and archetypes.

But yeah, Gideon won't go down until rotation. Until then I reckon he'll drop to $20 if at all. I don't see him going higher than $40, but I was wrong about Baby Jace.

traveler

Not Wario
A playset of Gideons + Canopy Vista into an existing shell isn't too exciting, so people slept on it. People like to fuss with new cards and archetypes.

But yeah, Gideon won't go down until rotation. Until then I reckon he'll drop to $20 if at all. I don't see him going higher than $40, but I was wrong about Baby Jace.

Yeah, I've been out of the game since Innistrad, so all the decks were new to me last weekend, and I thought all the cool interactions and things you could do with gw looked pretty fun, especially if you are just thinking of it as an aggro deck. Then I talked to others about it this week and everyone just seemed bored with it, which confused me because it seemed way more interesting than most of the other decks being played. I guess it's been around for a bit, though.

Yeah, I'm not looking to buy any of him soon, but I'll def keep an eye on him near rotation and see.

I'm tempted to grab an Ugin or two in the next little bit, though. He's normalized and trending up over the past couple days. $30 USD for a card is not to be trifled with

duxstar

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";181347758]I remember Mr. GW himself complaining about the new format because Abzan was too good and his GW decks weren't getting there.

Duxstar where you at? :p[/QUOTE]

Giving up on standard because I don't want to pay $45 bux for 4 gideons; I actually thought the deck was weak to jeskai thanks to the Mantis Riders (trust me, Turn 3, into turn 4 mantis rider feel's impossible to beat on g/w side of the field) but like i suspected Surge of Rightousness in the sideboard helps with ALOT of matchups.

I don't know, I found a place that does FNM draft instead of standard so I don't think I will be playing it for quite awhile (ironic that g/w finally wins an event and I'm not even into standard when it happens).

We'll see what the response is to the g/w decks next week, I think esper dragon's is really well positioned against the deck in general; Complete Disregard, Horribly Awry, into Languish and dig through times kind of sucks, the best answer to the control decks is Evolutionary Leap + Hangarback.

Yeef

And Crackling Doom at instant isn't too good? :/

3 color cmc is not a setback in current standard.
Crackling is extremely good; it's also a rare. Being able to get random blowouts in limited by having Swarm Surge be an instant would mean having to de-power the colorless creatures in the set a lot and maybe even going back to having spawns instead of scions.

Haines

Banned
Had no idea magic did limited tourney

Did they say another draft next weekend?

Idk why but i think draft Fits magic so much better

Yeef

Magic was designed with a limited card pool in mind. It's part of the reason why some early cards, like the power nine, are so broken. They figured most people would only buy about $20 worth of cards, so the super-powerful stuff would be rare enough as to not warp the game.

Of course, it ended up being a lot more popular than that.

Giving up on standard because I don't want to pay $45 bux for 4 gideons

You can get 4 Gideons for $45?

Tonight on eBay I won a couple of auctions for one regular and one Foil. I guess I should do the play set. If I don't like getting back into Standard I should be able to unload them and make my money back.

Crackling is extremely good; it's also a rare. Being able to get random blowouts in limited by having Swarm Surge be an instant would mean having to de-power the colorless creatures in the set a lot and maybe even going back to having spawns instead of scions.
I mean, it's not like BfZ wasn't already a pretty noticeable drop in power level from Theros-Khans. If anything, it probably would have made the set easier to swallow.

Yeef

I mean, it's not like BfZ wasn't already a pretty noticeable drop in power level from Theros-Khans. If anything, it probably would have made the set easier to swallow.
The real problem is that the tangolands plus the fetches make manabases way too easy right now. Without the tangolands, playing the wedges becomes a lot harder, which would give the BFZ cards a little more room to breathe. With the Tangolands, playing 4 or 5 colors becomes relatively easy, which makes a lot of the wedge cards fit into more decks. I'm curious what decklists would look like if the Tangolands weren't fetchable.

The real problem is that the tangolands plus the fetches make manabases way too easy right now. Without the tangolands, playing the wedges becomes a lot harder, which would give the BFZ cards a little more room to breathe. With the Tangolands, playing 4 or 5 colors becomes relatively easy, which makes a lot of the wedge cards fit into more decks. I'm curious what decklists would look like if the Tangolands weren't fetchable.
Precisely. I don't see why those cards need to be sorcery level when you're enabling crap like Jeskai Doom. If anything, they ruined what power colorless could have had. I'm trying these Eldrazi decks out, and they're just so fucking neutered they're almost unplayable competitively.

The Eldrazi could have been the one redeeming, BfZ-specific deck that would have come out of the block. Instead, we're just seeing Tarkir own standard still because WotC was too scared and fucked up the Eldrazi.

Giving up on standard because I don't want to pay $45 bux for 4 gideons; I actually thought the deck was weak to jeskai thanks to the Mantis Riders (trust me, Turn 3, into turn 4 mantis rider feel's impossible to beat on g/w side of the field) but like i suspected Surge of Rightousness in the sideboard helps with ALOT of matchups.

I don't know, I found a place that does FNM draft instead of standard so I don't think I will be playing it for quite awhile (ironic that g/w finally wins an event and I'm not even into standard when it happens).

We'll see what the response is to the g/w decks next week, I think esper dragon's is really well positioned against the deck in general; Complete Disregard, Horribly Awry, into Languish and dig through times kind of sucks, the best answer to the control decks is Evolutionary Leap + Hangarback.

One of the reasons Esper Dragons wasn't making the top tables is because it has a pretty weak matchup against GW's value train. It's true that you can build the deck to be more focused on the GW matchup, but I'd be surprised if the deck was especially favored. The advantage of running Esper right now or control decks in general is that people are gunning for GW, Jeskai and Atarka Red with a lot of maindeck cards that are completely dead against control. But part of the reason that that is happening is because these decks have a naturally strong game against control anyway. Ojutai and Silumgar are just not strong enough right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom