• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Battle for Zendikar |OT| Lands matter (but nothing else does)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Something just peaked my curiousity, can you process an exiled card as an interrupt?

Like say Jace is being transformed can you play

Image.ashx

to return it to the graveyard from exile instead?

Nobody gets priority because it's all part of a single ability resolving.

1 vs. 3 drop though. Kills Jace, Mantis Rider, and Soulfire and can't be countered. It's way better. They'll exile all those cards when digging / playing Tasigur. Touch of the void would also be good against G/W, but our 3 drop spot is too packed as it is. We need to out-value in the mirror.

Also, instant vs. sorcery
Has more matchup applications and kills command recursion of dragonmaster. Also, Arashin Cleric is probably not good enough despite the loop potential. I'd either play more wild slashes on the side or just not sideboard all that heavily for red.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";181217200]Has more matchup applications and kills command recursion of dragonmaster. Also, Arashin Cleric is probably not good enough despite the loop potential. I'd either play more wild slashes on the side or just not sideboard all that heavily for red.[/QUOTE]
Now this I can get behind.

Also, Josh Silvestri is a weird dude but his list is very thoughtful and well tested. His earlier version top4'd the open and here's his current one which is a good starting point:

TcfekZV.jpg

kirblar

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";181217804]Also, Josh Silvestri is a weird dude but his list is very thoughtful and well tested. His earlier version top4'd the open and here's his current one which is a good starting point:

TcfekZV.jpg
[/QUOTE]
You know he wrote that one infamous FGC article right?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I milled out two dudes with Ulamog. It was awesome.

Deck was a blast, just a little weak to Planeswalkers. Ob Nix and Gideon were hard to beat. Need to keep Ruinous Path in the board I think. I thought it was already, guess not.

Complete Disregard is a competently fine mainboard card, really. Did work. Blight Herder was also an awesome card all day. Oblivion Sower was basically hilarious to boot.

kirblar

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";181218614]?

Edit: found it. Not sure what the infamy is about other than him being weird and ignorant.[/QUOTE]
Dunno, I remember it being splashy years back. (God we're getting old.)

traveler

Not Wario
Looking for a fair, competitive aggro commander with a decent amount of instant speed interaction/tricks (blinking and the like). Thinking a more fair Narset tokens build, or one of the Temur generals- Animar, Maelstrom, or Surrak. Anyone have any tips?

ElyrionX

Looking for a fair, competitive aggro commander with a decent amount of instant speed interaction/tricks (blinking and the like). Thinking a more fair Narset tokens build, or one of the Temur generals- Animar, Maelstrom, or Surrak. Anyone have any tips?

None of those are strictly aggro though. I'd suggest Rafiq.

I can confirm Complete Disregard is badass.
Definitely. I found a bot selling BfZ cards from the prerelease drafts, so I can actually test Eldrazi builds. Takes more finesse than I expected but I've run technical decks before.

Complete Disregard, Transgress the Mind, Titan's Presence and even Scour From Existence can really put in work for you.

Kozilek's Channeler is tough...it draws so much hate, especially with that damned Jeskai deck as the flavor of the week. But 2 per Channeler plus your scions leads to some big plays.

Also, Breaker of Armies has caused at least two different opponents to concede as soon as it hit the board. Lol.

From Beyond is not as strong as its price would suggest. At least in my playtests so far.
Ulamog's Nullifier is amazing. Get it while it's cheap. Same with Fathom Feeder, Forerunner of Slaughter, and Barrage Tyrant. Grixis Eldrazi is gonna be popular.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";181217804]Also, Josh Silvestri is a weird dude but his list is very thoughtful and well tested. His earlier version top4'd the open and here's his current one which is a good starting point:

TcfekZV.jpg
[/QUOTE]
This deck looks miserable to assemble. :/

Firemind

Roon of the Hidden Realm?

Brago, King Eternal?

Derevi, Empyrial Tactician?

Daedardus

I got screwed by booster patterns, my fat pack has the same rares, including mythic rare, as the box I just opened. Seems like mapping is still possible. What a worthless box it has been until now...

I got screwed by booster patterns, my fat pack has the same rares, including mythic rare, as the box I just opened. Seems like mapping is still possible. What a worthless box it has been until now...

Still possible? Did WOTC change production methods in recent years to make boxes harder to map?

Haines

Banned
Couple last quick questions before i head to my sealed bfz release box thingy.

When you splash a color, how many would you add. Like 2 of that land color per mana needed or just 1 for 1?

Is ingest good for just the ingesting w.o even processing in a 40 card deck. Sealed is 40 right? Im just curious if ingest even gets to go off that often and if you guys see the mill as being worth it if ypu dont have any processors

When you splash a color, how many would you add. Like 2 of that land color per mana needed or just 1 for 1?

Is ingest good for just the ingesting w.o even processing in a 40 card deck. Sealed is 40 right? Im just curious if ingest even gets to go off that often and if you guys see the mill as being worth it if ypu dont have any processors

that depends on how early and consistently you want to play them and whether they cost 2 or more of their colour.
If you just have a few high cmc cards you don't need to put in as many lands as when you want to be able to cast them turn 2 or 3 every game or they cost multiples of their colour.

Ingest is an extra, you'll rarely deck your opponent unless you're both playing control or you're playing Ulamog. If you get a couple good processors the value of ingest cards rises.

Sealed is 40.

Jhriad

I prefer to have at least two sources of a color per colored pip if I'm going to splash a card. Something like Evolving Wilds, since it can search up any basic, counts as one source.

As for Ingest, I wouldn't put any real value in it by itself. Unless your sealed pool has a LOT of Ingesters it's rarely going to be a significant amount of Mill. That said, some players will try their hardest to keep you from being able to Ingest because they do overvalue Mill-like effects and you can use that against them.

y2dvd

If it makes the people that opened shitty fat packs feel any better, I did sealed last night and I don't think any rares went pass $2. Not only that, they weren't even limited bombs. I'm done playing the lottery and will just stick to drafting.

Ps. Facing Gideon in limited makes me a sad man. :'(

kirblar

Gideon's price is going to be very very very dumb. He's a 3-4x PW at 4cc in a set with not a lot else going on - he's going to suck up tons of equity, and the expeditions are the only things working to keep him in check.

Feels very similar to Origins Jace.

OnPoint

Gideon's price is going to be very very very dumb. He's a 3-4x PW at 4cc in a set with not a lot else going on - he's going to suck up tons of equity, and the expeditions are the only things working to keep him in check.

Feels very similar to Origins Jace.
What happened to everyone saying supply being so much greater than demand would drop every card in the set to super low levels? I've seen it said that Gideon would be a $15 card at max due to how much is being opened. Not the case anymore?

What happened to everyone saying supply being so much greater than demand would drop every card in the set to super low levels? I've seen it said that Gideon would be a $15 card at max due to how much is being opened. Not the case anymore?

Well if it's the only card wanted in high quantities of the set that changes everything.

kirblar

The issue is that the set's sort of poopy. There's just nothing else to soak value AWAY from him because neither the manlands nor the santalands are going to see widespread play right now.

http://shop.tcgplayer.com/magic/battle-for-zendikar?newSearch=false

The next highest cards are Drana, Ulamog, Undergrowth Champion, the other 2 PWs, and then the lands. None of them are really going to retain tremendous amounts of value.
Well if it's the only card wanted in high quantities of the set that changes everything.
Bingo.

The duals are soaking far less value than expected because of the fetches. Might change in 6 months at rotation (aka get your playsets in December if you don't already have em by then) but in the short term, they're going to be cheap.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
If it makes the people that opened shitty fat packs feel any better, I did sealed last night and I don't think any rares went pass $2. Not only that, they weren't even limited bombs. I'm done playing the lottery and will just stick to drafting.

Facing Gideon in any format makes your head hurt a bit.

Daedardus

I don't think fat packs have ever been mapable. It sounds like you just got super unlucky.

Yeah it might be total coincidence. But it's still weird that I got the exact same mythic rare (Oblivion Sower), the chances of that happening are very small if the contents are truly randomised.

On the up side, I opened the remaining few packs that I didn't take to my pack wars friend, and opened an Ob Nixilis, an Omnath, a manland and some tangolands. The box redeemed itself when I got home. I'll buy my Expeditions online, since I do not want to play the Expedition lottery again.

Well at least you have yours. A week later mine still hasn't shipped, time to contact the store, which means more than likely I'm not getting one. Only really wanted the lands, the boosters were just a bonus really.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Well at least you have yours. A week later mine still hasn't shipped, time to contact the store, which means more than likely I'm not getting one. Only really wanted the lands, the boosters were just a bonus really.

Same. I don't care about the packs, but my lands need to get here already. WotC should sell land stations with full arts. They'd sell like chocolate ice cream.

Matriox

Same. I don't care about the packs, but my lands need to get here already. WotC should sell land stations with full arts. They'd sell like chocolate ice cream.

That's what I'm working on!

Bout half way there.. I should just buy a couple packs of lands off ebay.

EDIT: I think all I've seen so far on the SCG stream is Jeskai Black, GW Megamorph, and Atarka Red...

EDIT: I think all I've seen so far on the SCG stream is Jeskai Black, GW Megamorph, and Atarka Red so far...
I don't like GW because it messes with my theory that every top deck is required to play Jace or Atarka's Command.

Bandini

Used up the last of my MTGO player points this morning on a BFZ draft. Went 2-1 with an ok RB devoid aggro deck. Got 2 boosters and thought what the hell, may as well open them for fun since I'm not spending any money to do another draft.

Pulled a Gideon. Got 29 tickets for it...

undertaker-sitting-up1.gif

kirblar

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";181243228]I don't like GW because it messes with my theory that every top deck is required to play Jace or Atarka's Command.[/QUOTE]
Or Gideon.

traveler

Not Wario
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";181243228]I don't like GW because it messes with my theory that every top deck is required to play Jace or Atarka's Command.[/QUOTE]

I thought GW was actually the most impressive deck last weekend. Had to trade/buy all the pieces of my standard deck and could only go with one- went with it over Atarka, Jeskai and Abzan. Sure, Atarka had a hell of a showing, but it seems much easier to reposition decks to handle Atarka than it does GW, which feels much more resilient to me.

Speaking of the devil- the deck just beat Todd Anderson pretty handily despite its pilot playing way worse. Glad to see Stasis Snare doing some work. I was hesitant to include it maindeck before, but I feel like the meta shift has made dropping at least 1 stance for 1 an acceptable move, given the number of decks stance just blanks on where snare would be amazing- battle rage'd dudes, Jaces, Dragonmasters, Mantis Riders, hangarbacks, deathmists- instant speed exile seems like it's worth the price, especially given that most seem to be headed the atarka red or jeskai direction and don't have dromoka's to worry about.

traveler

Not Wario
None of those are strictly aggro though. I'd suggest Rafiq.

I'd be trying to do a more aggro build with them. The only problem would be my general signaling a more threatening deck than I'd actually be playing.

I like Rafiq's colors, but I don't like voltron at all, so I'd probably go the Derevi direction. Brago is pretty cool, though.

I thought GW was actually the most impressive deck last weekend. Had to trade/buy all the pieces of my standard deck and could only go with one- went with it over Atarka, Jeskai and Abzan. Sure, Atarka had a hell of a showing, but it seems much easier to reposition decks to handle Atarka than it does GW, which feels much more resilient to me.

Speaking of the devil- the deck just beat Todd Anderson pretty handily despite its pilot playing way worse. Glad to see Stasis Snare doing some work. I was hesitant to include it maindeck before, but I feel like the meta shift has made dropping at least 1 stance for 1 an acceptable move, given the number of decks stance just blanks on where snare would be amazing- battle rage'd dudes, Jaces, Dragonmasters, Mantis Riders, hangarbacks, deathmists- instant speed exile seems like it's worth the price, especially given that most seem to be headed the atarka red or jeskai direction and don't have dromoka's to worry about.
Stasis Snare is the reason I think UWb is better than UBw in Esper right now.

I'm just happy I got a fat pack at all, pulled my expedition from it, and my entire county is out of fat packs.

Just

dr_evil_austin_powers.jpg

Opened 26 boosters so far, I know that's not much, and closest I came to an expedition was sitting across from a guy who pulled a misty rainforest at my midnight prerelease. Who didn't believe in it's value and actually played with it. I had to insist he get a sleeve.
Wasn't enough that at origins we got at my table 2 green boxes and the one sitting next to me could distribute them and he pulls a nissa while I get some crappy shit rare as the promo.
FML at these events and worthless rarelands of which I get at least 2 each event.

/rant I'm just jealous and salty.

Still have 2 fat packs ordered crosses fingers. If they get canceled I'll just get a baby jace instead.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper

EDIT: I think all I've seen so far on the SCG stream is Jeskai Black, GW Megamorph, and Atarka Red...

Sexy. Can I touch it?

You want to trade a fat pack for expedition delta? I wanted to keep it, but I'm such a nice guy I'll gladly help out a fellow bro.

So helpful! TBH, if anybody has some extra fat pack lands, I gots them Jaces you need.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom