• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Battle for Zendikar |OT| Lands matter (but nothing else does)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The crab may getcha, but sure!

Theres a lot going on with this megamorph vs bant company game...

You didn't exaggerate the board is cluttered af. 3 Jaces, Nissa, thopters, Gideon, Den Protectors, 2 undergrowth champions, a billion lands. 9 dices!

Gonna have to root for Bant though my favourite colour combination after Boros.

Matriox

You didn't exaggerate the board is cluttered af. 3 Jaces, Nissa, thopters, Gideon, 4 Den Protectors a billion lands. 9 dices!

Gonna have to root for Bant though my favourite colour combination after Boros.

Lol, I tuned into it late due to being at work this weekend so I didn't take a second to even try to figure out what the hell was going on.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
How old are you to use the old way to write Scheiße, or are you using Schwizerdütsch? The rules were changed 1996.

My German keyboard is at work. I can never remember the proper unicode for German markings. So "ss" instead of the scharfesse (sic).

Jeskai Black seems fun at first glance. Really is just a pile of cards that were waiting for the right deck to come along. And Hangerback.

Lol, I tuned into it late due to being at work this weekend so I didn't take a second to even try to figure out what the hell was going on.

He played 3 jaces and lost...

My German keyboard is at work. I can never remember the proper unicode for German markings. So "ss" instead of the scharfesse (sic).

Franco-Allemande? I'm grasping for ideas why someone would use 2 different keyboard layouts at work and at home.

WanderingWind

He played 3 jaces and lost...

Franco-Allemande? I'm grasping for ideas why someone would use 2 different keyboard layouts at work and at home.

American living in Germany. I write for both audiences. At work, it's easier to use the German keyboard, but I still prefer my native language setup for home use.

American living in Germany. I write for both audiences. At work, it's easier to use the German keyboard, but I still prefer my native language setup for home use.

That's rad, the english layout is just way better. Apostrophes and other punctuation marks are just much better placed than on the german keyboard.

Man I'm loving that Bant deck.

Wulfric

Reporting in from GP Madison. Chapin is playing Brad Nelson right now. From the people I've spoken to in the main event, most seem to like the new way of handling sealed pools.

Unfortunately I lost both my single elimination drafts in the first round. On the plus side I got several cards signed. Of course, I couldn't leave without an Ajani Mentor print. It's gorgeous. :3

traveler

Not Wario
Now I kinda feel bad picking it for States. Meta will be more prepared for it next week.

It was strange the deck placed 2nd last week, showed a lot of resilience, and had plenty of room in the sideboard to be configured to beat out Atarka, yet all the talk was about thiings like Esper Dragons, Atarka, and mainly Jeskai this week. Why was it being ignored?

Edit: Why didn't he just + Jace to shrink Deathmist, then cast Doom? He +'d instead?

Haines

Banned
Back from my first sealed.

Killer headache. Was focusing so much didnt think to drink and dehydration of the brain happened. So thats yucky.

Enjoyed myself, but very quickly realized these things are all about being as fun as who you are playing against.

Absolutely love magic, but a few things might keep me playing more around the house aside from maybe a draft as i want to try that for sure.

Either way, all in on magic, but still dont want to keep cards worth money bc that just seems silly if i dont play standard. Anything i keep will just devalue as it leaves standard. So prob find a carshop and trade in for 70% credit.

Also think im goimg to give duels origins more of a shot

p1R1IdR.jpg

This is an expedition land right?

Matriox

Reporting in from GP Madison. Chapin is playing Brad Nelson right now. From the people I've spoken to in the main event, most seem to like the new way of handling sealed pools.

Unfortunately I lost both my single elimination drafts in the first round. On the plus side I got several cards signed. Of course, I couldn't leave without an Ajani Mentor print. It's gorgeous. :3

Very cool on the print, I'd like to start nabbing them from time to time myself, but I don't get to anything outside of the occasional scg open in Columbus.

kirblar

the 2nd most valuable in fact

the edge looks a little rough you should be able to contact customer support for a replacement if it's damaged right out of the pack
Just have your receipt for this.

Just math'd it up. Using TCG Mid, the expeditions are currently taking approx $110 in equity out of the set values. (for a full print sheet of 1 mythic and 2 rares each)

It really is going to be Gideon and peanuts.

Haines

Banned
Wow nice pull.

Im having a hard time understanding why those types of lands are so good.

Is it as simple as you can choose which land you get?

Edit: does magic usually have issues with card quality? Seems fairly crazy to me most of the most valuable ones are kind of fucked

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Wow nice pull.

Yes. Especially when you combine them with other lands that have two land types. For example, that land lets you find an Island or a Forest. But look at these:
Image.ashx
Image.ashx
Image.ashx
Image.ashx

Image.ashx
Image.ashx
Image.ashx

You can grab any of these lands, so that one land can get you access to any color of Mana

Note that the type line for each of these explicitly calls them Plains Island or whatever. You could not grab this card
Image.ashx

kirblar

Wow nice pull.

Edit: does magic usually have issues with card quality? Seems fairly crazy to me most of the most valuable ones are kind of fucked
This printing process for these is new- something's clearly gone wrong with the collation, its very abnormal.

The fetches are good both because you can choose what basic land you get, but lands like Underground Sea, Watery Grave and Sunken Hollow can be fetched up, allowing you a large amount of flexibility with colors.

Haines

Banned
Ok. I gotchya. Bc the wording doesnt say basic land right.

Hmm. Pretty cool stuff. I assume people usually pay the 2 life quite often?

Just have your receipt for this.

Just math'd it up. Using TCG Mid, the expeditions are currently taking approx $110 in equity out of the set values. (for a full print sheet of 1 mythic and 2 rares each)

It really is going to be Gideon and peanuts.
Ugh. There goes any chance of me running Gideon in my deck.

kirblar

Ok. I gotchya. Bc the wording doesnt say basic land right.

Hmm. Pretty cool stuff. I assume people usually pay the 2 life quite often?
Correct. People try to minimize how much they need to pay the 2, but yeah it gets used a lot- having the ability to do it on command is huge compared to the santalands.

The edges being damaged is a known issue. Keep your receipt (or just buy another pack to get a new one, lol) and contact Wizard's CS dept- they'll send you a replacement.
They really do that?? That's awesome. I have to look for my receipt for the fat pack. Should be in with the comics I bought though.

Correct. People try to minimize how much they need to pay the 2, but yeah it gets used a lot- having the ability to do it on command is huge compared to the santalands.

It's hilarious watching mirror matches of control and both players are between 12 and 14 life yet haven't been able to play a single spell that could deal damage yet.

Wait, what? And yeah that's like 10 secs after opening the pack. It came like that.

Found the reddit thread detailing the process.

https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/3n883l/psa_wizards_will_issue_you_new_copies_of_damaged

Jhriad

With the Expeditions being slightly more common than was expected the current estimates put them at slightly under two (1.8) per case. If that holds, at current TCG Mid pricing they're taking up around $33 of the box EV which is actually above the EV estimates from before release. So they're actually soaking more value than they should currently because the prices haven't caught up with the larger than expected supply. Prices will continue to fall as they're more common than we expected but even if they fall, they're probably going to fall around the original EV contribution range of $23 per box.

Awesome thank you! Should I protect it well in shipping? I'm curious how they ship back

If you contact Wizards they'll arrange for a Fed Ex pickup. You can put it in whatever you want but make sure it's large enough for the Fex Ex shipping sticker they'll put on there. A padded manila envelope, even the small ones, will work just fine. You might want to put it into a toploader or something similar so it doesn't end up getting crushed in shipping but it should be fine so long as you're not shipping it in a small white envelope without a toploader.

Matriox

Anyone toying with Eldrazi? I'm trying Sultai colors but Grixis is gonna be good too.

You can even run 4-color Eldrazi, Beard. :p

My Sultai list in posted earlier ended up just adding red. Ali Anstrazi has been running a 5c eldrazi list, which this week is mostly Dragons I think but still tops off with Ulamog. I don't particularly think white is necessary for the deck, but his list is somewhere on the most recent open. Oh and there's a cool green white list in the top 64 from last week too which I enjoyed.

Wulfric

Played in a one final EDH pod and won a few tickets. Walked over to get my BFZ packs. Then it happened again... Steam Vents! Aaron Miller did an awesome playmat sketch as well.

2Vaedn7.jpg

With the Expeditions being slightly more common than was expected the current estimates put them at slightly under two (1.8) per case. If that holds, at current TCG Mid pricing they're taking up around $33 of the box EV which is actually above the EV estimates from before release. So they're actually soaking more value than they should currently because the prices haven't caught up with the larger than expected supply. Prices will continue to fall as they're more common than we expected but even if they fall, they're probably going to fall around the original EV contribution range of $23 per box.

If you contact Wizards they'll arrange for a Fed Ex pickup. You can put it in whatever you want but make sure it's large enough for the Fex Ex shipping sticker they'll put on there. A padded manila envelope, even the small ones, will work just fine. You might want to put it into a toploader or something similar so it doesn't end up getting crushed in shipping but it should be fine so long as you're not shipping it in a small white envelope without a toploader.

Sweet, I'll contact them tomorrow. It's funny, I was disappointed in my other rares but I guess it's nice I got that.

What's the most expensive of the expedition lands?

Wulfric

Haha, I swear these expeditions are falling from the sky for me. I was tempted to sell it right away to pay for the sketch, but I'll hold the Steam Vents for now and see if I can trade into an ABUR dual. I need 2 more Savannahs to build Maverick.

Does anyone have framing advice? I'd like to have Ajani and Jazal in matching frames, but I have no idea where to start on that. I should have asked when I bought them. >_<

Tea Time

Neo Member
What's the deal with the pricing on these Expeditions, are the values just estimates or are they actually regularly selling at these prices?
I pulled this guy...

Being relatively new to MtG I don't know how values on stuff like this traditionally work, is it likely to hold its value, go up/down...?
I'm in the UK, and looking on eBay and places like Magic Madhouse the prices seem to be all over the place.
As much as I could use another Flooded Strand I don't really want to play with it, and if I could get those top prices for it I'd rather get rid of it and put my money into a set of Gideon's that I can use.
Anyone in the UK know the best way/place for me to sell this if they are actually selling for those high prices and not just listed at them with no hope?

WanderingWind

It's going to be worth roughly infinite dollars. Hold it for as long as you can, man. Gideon is nice in Standard right now, but even if he remains a staple for the entire time he's in Standard, it'll never hold value afterwards. Flooded Strand, along with Scalding Tarn, are the most expensive of the lands you could have pulled. If you sell it now, just know that you absolutely will regret it in a year or two and you absolutely will lose money on it.

But, that being said, if you absolutely must play a Gideon deck right now, it'll definitely fund it. Each one of us has a trade in our early years we wish we hadn't done. Don't let this one be yours, bro.

Tea Time

Neo Member
Cheers for the advice. Back in the toploader it goes.
As nice as the Gideons would be, I only really play FNM so it's not massively important.

Son1x

What's the deal with the pricing on these Expeditions, are the values just estimates or are they actually regularly selling at these prices?
I pulled this guy...

Being relatively new to MtG I don't know how values on stuff like this traditionally work, is it likely to hold its value, go up/down...?
I'm in the UK, and looking on eBay and places like Magic Madhouse the prices seem to be all over the place.
As much as I could use another Flooded Strand I don't really want to play with it, and if I could get those top prices for it I'd rather get rid of it and put my money into a set of Gideon's that I can use.
Anyone in the UK know the best way/place for me to sell this if they are actually selling for those high prices and not just listed at them with no hope?
Since you're in Europe, we have this amazing site called magiccardmarket.eu

How old are you to use the old way to write Scheiße, or are you using Schwizerdütsch? The rules were changed 1996.
It's more limiting inputs for us Americans. My phone or Mac is fine but my windows laptop are more frustrating to do then so I'll also do that or even fuer vs. für.

Jeskai Black seems fun at first glance. Really is just a pile of cards that were waiting for the right deck to come along. And Hangerback.
Dude, you're living in Germany still? That's awesome!

Also, it's infuriating using the German keyboard when your name used one of the only two letters that are moved. Can tell you how many times I wrote emails with my name misspelled by accident lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom