• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Battle for Zendikar |OT| Lands matter (but nothing else does)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Random thought, would Wilderness Elemental be any good in this Standard? If it was reprinted in Oath.

Image.ashx

Yeef

I don't think so. Having a creature that your opponent can actively control the power of via fetches seems like it'd be pretty bad. Lots of the two color decks don't run that many duals and don't really need them to operate.

A modified version of the design that had a set base power and got a power bonus instead could be interesting though. Something like this:

1RG
Trample
~ gets +1/+0 for each nonbasic land your opponents control.
2/4

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
I don't think so. Having a creature that your opponent can actively control the power of via fetches seems like it'd be pretty bad. Lots of the two color decks don't run that many duals and don't really need them to operate.

A modified version of the design that had a set base power and got a power bonus instead could be interesting though. Something like this:

1RG
Trample
~ gets +1/+0 for each nonbasic land your opponents control.
2/4
I feel like the card would be pretty ridiculous from the SB, but like everything else, it has no evasion and would get murdered by literally every removal spell that the 2 big decks run (valorous stance, Surge of righteousness, crackling doom, etc). Maybe make it knuckleblade pricing and add hexproof or pro-blue/white or something. That'd make it sweet.

cory64

I would guess so, but that's probably also not much of an imposition, that's six sets for them to spread across.
You'd think so, but you'd also have to go back to Innistrad to hit upon one of each without the core sets (or more pedantically back to Nissa in the original Zendikar since Garruk flips to BG)

Yeef

I feel like the card would be pretty ridiculous from the SB, but like everything else, it has no evasion and would get murdered by literally every removal spell that the 2 big decks run (valorous stance, Surge of righteousness, crackling doom, etc). Maybe make it knuckleblade pricing and add hexproof or pro-blue/white or something. That'd make it sweet.
Trample is a form of evasion.

More to the point, dying to less removal is obviously always good, but just about everything dies to removal. With the exception of Valorous Stance, Mantis Rider dies to all of the most common removal floating in the format right now and is still great. At best, I think you might give it a haste-granting ability like Forerunner of Slaughter and Knuckleblade, but then it's probably a little too pushed.

Mortuary Mire + Nissa's Revelation secret combo :p

A three mana creature with no immediate value(haste, etb triggers) that dies to fiery impulse is probably just unplayable. Even lategame it's probably just a 4/3 trample that doesn't break up board states or do anything to regain advantage. This is competing with knuckleblade unfavorably and that card already sees basically zero play. In play it lines up poorly against mantis rider and anafenza and those are the decks that run enough non-basics to make playing this card not miserable. Against control it doesn't require immediate answers and it doesn't block aggressive creatures(in fact it probably can't trade with swiftspear in 90% of games). So i'm not sure when you'd actually want it.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";181363912]Mortuary Mire + Nissa's Revelation secret combo :p

A three mana creature with no immediate value(haste, etb triggers) that dies to fiery impulse is probably just unplayable. Even lategame it's probably just a 4/3 trample that doesn't break up board states or do anything to regain advantage. This is competing with knuckleblade unfavorably and that card already sees basically zero play. In play it lines up poorly against mantis rider and anafenza and those are the decks that run enough non-basics to make playing this card not miserable. Against control it doesn't require immediate answers and it doesn't block aggressive creatures(in fact it probably can't trade with swiftspear in 90% of games). So i'm not sure when you'd actually want it.[/QUOTE]

It's just below the line for modern creatures. It would need a bigger butt or need to get +1/+1 for each nonbasic or something.

Reddit's apparently of the train of thought that Kaladesh is the next Block, as the colourless Matters theme in BFZ(And Relic Seeker, the Buy a Box Promo being a turbo dud right now)and the idea that we're getting Enemy Fetches in Fall 2016 makes them come to this.
Their rational in point form:
  • WotC has mentioned they don't want Landfall in for the whole time BFZ is in Standard but they know there needs to be a reprint, so 6 Months with Allied, 6 months off, 6 months with Enemy would work
  • Herald of Kolizek has that odd "Colourless cost 1 less, which seems incredibly wierd by itself unless there's another colourless theme coming after it.
  • WotC usually has the buy a Box promo be something they think can be big in Standard and We've seen basically jack support for Relic Seeker so far

I'm not entirely convinced, but I think it has some sense in it.

Relic Seeker is pretty good with Ride Down, but Hero's Blade, Ghostfire Blade and Sword of the Animist aren't really strong enough payoffs in anything I can figure out. The format is full of shocks right now so a medium quality 2 toughness creature is a hard sell.

cory64

Reddit's apparently of the train of thought that Kaladesh is the next Block, as the colourless Matters theme in BFZ(And Relic Seeker, the Buy a Box Promo being a turbo dud right now)and the idea that we're getting Enemy Fetches in Fall 2016 makes them come to this.
Their rational in point form:
  • WotC has mentioned they don't want Landfall in for the whole time BFZ is in Standard but they know there needs to be a reprint, so 6 Months with Allied, 6 months off, 6 months with Enemy would work
  • Herald of Kolizek has that odd "Colourless cost 1 less, which seems incredibly wierd by itself unless there's another colourless theme coming after it.
  • WotC usually has the buy a Box promo be something they think can be big in Standard and We've seen basically jack support for Relic Seeker so far

I'm not entirely convinced, but I think it has some sense in it.

It's inevitable at this point with how detailed the art was in Origins. I'm starting to wonder if Vryn even made the cut for development, the name's not that marketable and the environment seemed pretty phoned in.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Both Vryn and Kaladesh will happen.

Muraganda first! :'(

Every once in a while I start thinking about finding a reason to play Narset, Enlightened Master in something and then I remember she costs six fucking mana.

Violet_0

Banned
can't imagine anything better than a world filled with thopters

the vanilla green beasts probably summon thopters too, everyone has thopters

ElyrionX

So I joined the dark side and built a Derevi Lockdown deck as a response to the escalating arms race in my meta. Holy shit, this deck is insane. Even my first time playing it and having no clue what to do with the numerous tutors I had in hand/board, I still managed to lock my opponents down hard.

Remember that time when in an artifact block green had a 9cmc combo deck that was popular

Nah I was 10 at the time and had no clue people played the game competitively.

I remember playing a casual UB deck with Gemini Engine. Was pretty devastated when I lost it :(.

Friend of mine had an obnoxious elves deck with Wellwisher making our lives miserable.

Angry Grimace

Is Phyrexia still a place in the lore? It basically sounded like Magic Hell. I wonder what a set there would look like.

El Topo

I really hope they never bring back Yawgmoth. Don't really need Phyrexians either. There has to be a more interesting approach to villains.

Jhriad

Reddit's apparently of the train of thought that Kaladesh is the next Block

That ignores all the the setup for the Liliana story in exchange for something that they haven't really setup in the story at all. Given their recent emphasis on the story driving the sets it seems like a big stretch.

[*] Herald of Kolizek has that odd "Colourless cost 1 less, which seems incredibly wierd by itself unless there's another colourless theme coming after it.

I must be missing something but why is this an indication of anything? It works well with artifacts, sure, but it also works with Devoid cards which is kind of the whole point of Eldrazi with Devoid.

What's weird about the herald that devoid is not the archetype I'd want to be in with UR, and apparently gold uncommons they should be a hint.

UR I'd always go aggro with the blue being flyers and awaken spells.

El Topo

UR in general has had a certain affinity for artifacts (at the very least) lately, see e.g. Reclusive Artificer (U/R) or the various mono-colored thopter-related cards.
Don't really get why Herald should be indicative of future sets though.

OnPoint

I really hope they never bring back Yawgmoth. Don't really need Phyrexians either. There has to be a more interesting approach to villains.

Yawgmoth is dead. Dead, dead, dead. And he was never technically a planeswalker. So I hope they never make a Yawgmoth planeswalker card. It would make zero sense.

The Phyrexians are sort of back with New Phyrexia and those types of Phyrexians. The classic Phyrexians hopefully never return in a modern setting, they had their purpose and ran their course.

Leshrac vs Bolas Round Two

He's only referenced on a couple of cards, but he seems like a swell guy,

Leshrac played a part in blocks following Ice Age.

http://mtgsalvation.gamepedia.com/Leshrac

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I've been thinking about this for a bit. MaRo and I believe Aaron dropped X-Men references with regards to their soft reboot of the Planeswalkers with Origins. MaRo, before hand, has talked about how marketing wanted the Lorwyn five to be the "Mickey Mouse" of MtG. I think they've definitely hit that goal, but there is definitely something missing.

Where is their Magneto? Their Joker? Their Pete? Their Rita Repulsa?

It seemed that for a while they were going to do something with Bolas, but they sort of went nowhere with that. He's still the best candidate for a archenemy, but until they ramp him up from being basically an evil durdle turtle, the two major baddies in the muliverse are the Eldrazi and the Phyrexians. Both of them are sort of faceless, endless evils. Great as an army, not so much as a foil for five teenagers with attitudes and magic powers.

Firemind

It seemed that for a while they were going to do something with Bolas, but they sort of went nowhere with that. He's still the best candidate for a archenemy
Yes, he is.

Sorin is just a True Neutral. Liliana is Neutral Evil. Ob Nixilis is a muppet. Tezzeret is a clown. Who else do we have?

Except in that 1 book where Tezzeret went to town. Bitchslapped Jace, defeated a copy of Bolas,...

The entire set design is a bit unfortunate and unfocused.

I like it for limited, it's much more aggressive than people say it is. Haven't watched most of the drafts from the GP but personally I had great success with going aggro and only having manasinks for the endgame

It'll be Ob Nixilis, Elesh Norn, Raven Man, Tezzeret and Bolas. Those will be the major named villains that we playing a role in the story. With the exception of Elesh Norn, they're all planeswalkers, so they can appear pretty much anywhere.

Is Tezzeret really a baddy, he fills a similar position to Liliana or Sarkhan.

Yeah, but it's not canon.

sadly

Yeef

I've been thinking about this for a bit. MaRo and I believe Aaron dropped X-Men references with regards to their soft reboot of the Planeswalkers with Origins. MaRo, before hand, has talked about how marketing wanted the Lorwyn five to be the "Mickey Mouse" of MtG. I think they've definitely hit that goal, but there is definitely something missing.

Where is their Magneto? Their Joker? Their Pete? Their Rita Repulsa?

It seemed that for a while they were going to do something with Bolas, but they sort of went nowhere with that. He's still the best candidate for a archenemy, but until they ramp him up from being basically an evil durdle turtle, the two major baddies in the muliverse are the Eldrazi and the Phyrexians. Both of them are sort of faceless, endless evils. Great as an army, not so much as a foil for five teenagers with attitudes and magic powers.
It'll be Ob Nixilis, Elesh Norn, Raven Man, Tezzeret and Bolas. Those will be the major named villains that we playing a role in the story. With the exception of Elesh Norn, they're all planeswalkers, so they can appear pretty much anywhere.

Socat

Woo, got an email from WOTC this morning asking for pickup info for my expedition Flooded Strand to start the replacement process

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Yeah, they have a pool, but they haven't worked to establish the villain yet. I mean, we're one set into a block where it'd totally make sense for them to lay the groundwork down. I doubt they hadn't thought of this. I'm interested in seeing who they'll set up at the Zodd.

And and of course the brothers can come back as the Zordon/Splinter/Prof X. Because that'd be awesome as ice cream and beer workdays.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Yeah, they have a pool, but they haven't worked to establish the villain yet. I mean, we're one set into a block where it'd totally make sense for them to lay the groundwork down. I doubt they hadn't thought of this. I'm interested in seeing who they'll set up at the Zodd.

And and of course the brothers can come back as the Zordon/Splinter/Prof X. Because that'd be awesome as ice cream and beer workdays.

Please dont be Obby

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom