• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Battle for Zendikar |OT| Lands matter (but nothing else does)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firemind

They had the chance to give her some artificer ability in Magic Origins.

They could have given her the Ghirapur spawn a thopter on ETB, then have her - ability once she flips be an artifact sac outlet, Fiery Conclusion would have been perfect.
A red bitterblossom would be great, actually.

something something not in red's colour pie

OnPoint

They had the chance to give her some artificer ability in Magic Origins.

They could have given her the Ghirapur spawn a thopter on ETB, then have her - ability once she flips be an artifact sac outlet, Fiery Conclusion would have been perfect.

The whole thing with the character is that she wasn't destined for that. It was a conscious choice. I honestly won't be surprised to find out she was adopted and is actually Jaya Ballard's daughter.

A red bitterblossom would be great, actually.

something something not in red's colour pie

Isn't that Rabblemaster

The whole thing with the character is that she wasn't destined for that. It was a conscious choice. I honestly won't be surprised to find out she was adopted and is actually Jaya Ballard's daughter.

it could have been a shoddy thopter token a 0/1 w/o flying, symbolizing she had to learn it but was awful at it. Hence she sacrifices it.

DRS is gonna get reprinted right? I should try to trade mine off before the spoiler goes up, but I like my chinese and signed DRSs :(

Aren't they going to fall post-rotation?

They'll be higher after falling than they are now. Some of these are going to be 30 bucks by the time they rotate.

Also how do you like Sorin? What does he do for you?

He's easier to cast than Gideon(which is a major liability) and he's insane with hangarback tokens and Mantis Rider. Mass Lifelink is the nuts and can turn around or close out games faster than any other card. That said, he's worse on a weak boardstate and against cards like crackling doom than Gideon is.

Why would Deathrite Shaman get reprinted in a Commander product? o.0

Isn't there new art that went up on MTGO for the set where you can get the Commander cards?

ARC20150805_icon_4.jpg

OnPoint

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";181634391]Isn't there new art that went up on MTGO for the set where you can get the Commander cards?

ARC20150805_icon_4.jpg
[/QUOTE]
Wow. If that's not DRS, I'll be floored. Also, original DRS is superior.

3-0'd my last two drafts forcing B/W lifedrain allies. It doesn't have many bombs (Kalastria Nightwatch is usually the biggest thing I have on the board) but it's moderately fast and the Ally and drain synergies are constantly giving you small advantages and value. White having the best removal and combat tricks in the set really puts it over the top. Tandem Tactics is a fucking backbreaker in this archetype. Giving two creatures +1/+2 for 1W is already decent but with the lifegain on the card triggering deathtouch on Nirkana Assassin and flying on Nightwatch you can get some pretty massive swings.

I've done seven drafts so far and it's easily my favorite archetype. I haven't been able to draft a dedicated landfall deck yet though, I'll probably work on that next.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";181634391]Isn't there new art that went up on MTGO for the set where you can get the Commander cards?

ARC20150805_icon_4.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Huh. That is suspicious.

But I thought Impulse was going to be something completely different when FtV20 teasers were coming out.

Socat

ARC20150805_icon_4.jpg
[/QUOTE]

if that's DRS, I much prefer that art to the original. Original was kinda bland imo

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";181633827]DRS is gonna get reprinted right? I should try to trade mine off before the spoiler goes up, but I like my chinese and signed DRSs :(

They'll be higher after falling than they are now. Some of these are going to be 30 bucks by the time they rotate.

He's easier to cast than Gideon(which is a major liability) and he's insane with hangarback tokens and Mantis Rider. Mass Lifelink is the nuts and can turn around or close out games faster than any other card. That said, he's worse on a weak boardstate and against cards like crackling doom than Gideon is.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I cut back to 2 Hangarbacks from 4, since I felt like they were really bad in multiples when they were sitting in your hand / when you were top decking them. All I wanted was to play a 2 drop, any 2 drop, in turn 2. Right now
I have 9 2 drops, which usually leads to 1 of them in my hands at the start of the game. Thinking of going back to 10 2 drops, but I need to test more.

Also, how are you faring with 24 lands? I feel like this deck is super mana hungry, but I also have Ojutai and Tasigur in the main. Something close to this is what I'm going for this weekend:

Jeskai Midrange.dec, Built with Decked Builder
http://decks.deckedbuilder.com/d/118937

Firemind

ARC20150805_icon_4.jpg
[/QUOTE]
But-Why-Reaction-Gif.gif

Does this mean fetches are in?

Yeah, I cut back to 2 Hangarbacks from 4, since I felt like they were really bad in multiples when they were sitting in your hand / when you were top decking them. All I wanted was to play a 2 drop, any 2 drop, in turn 2. Right now
I have 9 2 drops, which usually leads to 1 of them in my hands at the start of the game. Thinking of going back to 10 2 drops, but I need to test more.

Also, how are you faring with 24 lands? I feel like this deck is super mana hungry, but I also have Ojutai and Tasigur in the main. Something close to this is what I'm going for this weekend:

Jeskai Midrange.dec, Built with Decked Builder
http://decks.deckedbuilder.com/d/118937

I didn't like Tasigur in my deck. He didn't seem to change any matchups and he was just a random efficient value card that didn't synergize with anything my deck was doing. Also, Ojutai is the worst thing you can do in the mirror and he's not even insane in most of the other matchups.

Looking at your deck I'd consider cutting both and playing a Wingmate Roc and a second Dragonmaster since you're playing two Kolaghan's Commands. If you play the full set of Hangarbacks, I'd look at Butcher.

Have you tested Treasure Cruise over Dig? Dig is the more powerful card but dig into Mantis Rider is a UUU play. If you're running Painful Truths over a 3rd Dig I suspect you might be having awkward problems with Dig.

And yeah, 24 lands is mostly because I don't play 5-drops and I keep going lighter on Soulfire. I might wind up with 0 by the time the rest of my cards arrive.

WanderingWind

I'm gonna guess we're getting the enemy Mirage fetches and LOL forever.

You know, these guys:

4DTyOaI.jpg

True story, when I came back to the game with Zendikar I heard of these "other" rare fetchlands. I totally thought I discovered the find of the century when I found these in a dusty ass card shop for pennies. I just thought "well, they're lands and they fetch and people won't shut up about that combo. Score."

I still have them right now they're proxies for Zen fetches for my tabletop decks.

OnPoint

True story, when I came back to the game with Zendikar I heard of these "other" rare fetchlands. I totally thought I discovered the find of the century when I found these in a dusty ass card shop for pennies. I just thought "well, they're lands and they fetch and people won't shut up about that combo. Score."

I still have them right now they're proxies for Zen fetches for my tabletop decks.

lol that's rich. I always hated those back then. Now, not as much., but then I understand the game a little better now.

Jhriad

I mean, I can't complain too much, because I pulled an Expedition Wooded Foothills, but I've pulled three damn Prism Arrays already and can't figure out who in their right mind designed such a card and thought it would be good to include in an official M:tG booster product at rare. Seriously.

One of the two friends I went to prerelease with pulled a Promo Prism Array, Foil Prism Array, and a regular Prism Array in a single prerelease box. We did all six prerelease events and he got at least one in every single sealed pool. It was a running joke by Sunday.

WanderingWind

New rule. If you pull an expedition, you lose the rights to complain about your pulls for like, at least 7 sets.

Grumblemumble

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
You know he wrote that one infamous FGC article right?

What's an "FGC" article and what was wrong with it? Random bump out of nowhere but all I could find at the time was a random goblin deck primer and I couldn't figure out what was wrong with it.

Haines

Banned
If you guys go to a draft/sealed and lets say most people are cool but someone is being a complete douche in a game by saying a lot of rude stuff maybe when your thinking about your turn

How do you guys handle that. Ignore him and focus on beating him? Be vocal and and slightly conforntantional by asking him if he wouldnt mind being not talking so much on your turn..just curious how you guys handle the odd dummy at draft.

My buddy says he just doesnt talk at all and focuses on the game when they do this.

Socat

If you guys go to a draft/sealed and lets say most people are cool but someone is being a complete douche in a game by saying a lot of rude stuff maybe when your thinking about your turn

How do you guys handle that. Ignore him and focus on beating him? Be vocal and and slightly conforntantional by asking him if he wouldnt mind being not talking so much on your turn..just curious how you guys handle the odd dummy at draft.

My buddy says he just doesnt talk at all and focuses on the game when they do this.

Ignore them and focus on the game if possible, call a judge otherwise.

OnPoint

I don't mind friendly banter. But I can be a confrontational person so I would probably be like 'Bro, I'm trying to concentrate, you mind?' If he continued I would call a judge.

Don't let people bully you. It's bullshit that they would even try.

Firemind

Depends on how rude he is.

If it's a complex board situation, with multiple lines of decision-making, you are well within your right to take your time to analyze the situation. Some people are just impatient however. I've had people call the judge on me for slowplaying. Some people like me are just slower in analyzing than others. Which is exactly why I don't like G/W in limited. More often than not you're entering a board stall if your opponent doesn't stumble on anything.

WanderingWind

You run into these power nerd types. Handle it how you'd handle anything. I ran into it once personally, saw it a few other times. I told the guy he was being a dickhole and that nobody was impressed by his ability to play pretend sorcerer really well. Some people just put them on IRL ignore. Some roll their eyes and call judge like "really, dude, you're making me do this?"

Just don't shank the guy in the parking lot and you'll be fine.

Uncharted Realms - Revelation at the Eye - Jace talks with Ugin and then heads back to the Sea Gate. He also meets Zada (Hedron Grinder) for a bit randomly.
* Jace really sucks at fighting Eldrazi. He can't even beat a 1/1!
* Zada killed and ate Tuktuk. Tuktuk was having his clan grind up hedrons and other magic stones and eat them to get stronger, and Zada figured that since Tuktuk was the most magical stone around...
* Zada is confirmed for female. I thought she was a decently fun character for how little she appeared; she certainly came off better than Munda did.
* Jace and Ugin do discuss Bolas's plans and reference that Nissa was the one who freed them in the end, to address earlier concerns in this thread.
* Jace just comes off as an idiot when talking to Ugin. Ugin keeps saying you can't kill Ulamog, and Jace basically keeps going, "So, you're saying there's a chance."
* Ugin tries to have Jace fetch Sorin, despite Jace having no idea who Sorin is or where he could be, just because he happens to have heard of Innistrad. I get the sense that when Jace said he wanted to help, Ugin just wanted him to leave.
* Flavor fail, Jace uses Dispel on Ugin's Insight!
* To my surprise, Jace didn't know that all of Ulamog's brood actually were all Ulamog until now.
* It is possible to destroy what is recognized as Ulamog, and that will hurt the real Ulamog, but doing this will just make it leave and go to a different plane.
* It seems like Jace's plan is to pull all of Ulamog into Zendikar, instead of just the "hand" that is the creature Ulamog, and then kill it somehow. I think Ob Nixilis interfering with the ritual in the end might be a good thing.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

It depends literally on how much smaller he is than I am.

I'm too old to take shit over a game from some asshole I don't know. I'm not gonna do something to get kicked out of my LGS but other people don't know that.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
* It is possible to destroy what is recognized as Ulamog, and that will hurt the real Ulamog, but doing this will just make it leave and go to a different plane.
* It seems like Jace's plan is to pull all of Ulamog into Zendikar, instead of just the "hand" that is the creature Ulamog, and then kill it somehow. I think Ob Nixilis interfering with the ritual in the end might be a good thing.
See this shit seems cool

Well, what do you want to do? If you are playing Draft, then you don't need to bring any cards, since you will make a deck out of cards you get from new booster packs. If you are playing Standard, then you can use a deck you bring, as long as it has Standard-legal cards.

Standard legal sets are:
Khans of Tarkir, Fate Reforged, Dragons of Tarkir
Magic Origins
Battle for Zendikar

If your deck has any cards that are not in those sets, then you have to modify it.

For dice, you can use them to roll to see who goes first and to keep track of life totals, though for the latter, I recommend using a pen and paper. They are also useful for representing tokens if you don't have token cards on hand.
Will i be needing to buy booster packs or what?

OnPoint

Uncharted Realms - Revelation at the Eye - Jace talks with Ugin and then heads back to the Sea Gate. He also meets Zada (Hedron Grinder) for a bit randomly.
* Jace really sucks at fighting Eldrazi. He can't even beat a 1/1!
* Zada killed and ate Tuktuk. Tuktuk was having his clan grind up hedrons and other magic stones and eat them to get stronger, and Zada figured that since Tuktuk was the most magical stone around...
* Zada is confirmed for female. I thought she was a decently fun character for how little she appeared; she certainly came off better than Munda did.
* Jace and Ugin do discuss Bolas's plans and reference that Nissa was the one who freed them in the end, to address earlier concerns in this thread.
* Jace just comes off as an idiot when talking to Ugin. Ugin keeps saying you can't kill Ulamog, and Jace basically keeps going, "So, you're saying there's a chance."
* Ugin tries to have Jace fetch Sorin, despite Jace having no idea who Sorin is or where he could be, just because he happens to have heard of Innistrad. I get the sense that when Jace said he wanted to help, Ugin just wanted him to leave.
* Flavor fail, Jace uses Dispel on Ugin's Insight!
* To my surprise, Jace didn't know that all of Ulamog's brood actually were all Ulamog until now.

They at least hinted at Nissa screwing up the final step. I hope she has some kind of reckoning with Ugin over that.

Best Uncharted Realms in a long time.

In Draft, the price of the booster packs will be covered by the sign-up fee for the tournament.

If you mean do you need booster packs to get new cards for a Standard deck, then not necessarily. You can buy individual cards online from resellers.

Angry Grimace

If you play Draft, they will usually just charge an entry fee (10-15 bucks usually) and you play with the cards you open. They will provide the boosters as part of the entry.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";181636686]I didn't like Tasigur in my deck. He didn't seem to change any matchups and he was just a random efficient value card that didn't synergize with anything my deck was doing. Also, Ojutai is the worst thing you can do in the mirror and he's not even insane in most of the other matchups.

Looking at your deck I'd consider cutting both and playing a Wingmate Roc and a second Dragonmaster since you're playing two Kolaghan's Commands. If you play the full set of Hangarbacks, I'd look at Butcher.

Have you tested Treasure Cruise over Dig? Dig is the more powerful card but dig into Mantis Rider is a UUU play. If you're running Painful Truths over a 3rd Dig I suspect you might be having awkward problems with Dig.

And yeah, 24 lands is mostly because I don't play 5-drops and I keep going lighter on Soulfire. I might wind up with 0 by the time the rest of my cards arrive.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, Tasigur is there for the random value and the reason I'm playing Painful Truths over another dig is because my graveyard is being delved away by Tasigur and the 2 digs. I sometimes do run into issues with the double blue, so maybe treasure would work.

There have been just so many times that I've dug and I have 4/7 lands in my grip, which would feel terrible with cruise. I'm also at risk of getting dispelled as well. Is the earlier curve working for you? My worry is just having no knock out punch late game and a t3 Tasigur puts the pressure on like nobody's business.

Awesome. So we keep what we draft?

Yes. To explain the process of drafting:

* You sit down with a group of people (usually around 8) in a circle, and you each have three booster packs.
* You open up the first booster pack, taking out ad/token cards and basic lands, and select a card from that pile. Then you pass the remaining pile to one side, take the pile the person next to you hands to you, take a card, and repeat.
* After all piles are empty, you open up a new pack, take a card, and pass the pile in the opposite direction as the first round.
* For the third pack, you go back to the rotation direction of the first round.

From that pool of cards, you make a 40 card deck. It's recommended that you have about 18 lands. You can get basic lands from the store you're playing at, but remember to return them after.

The skills involved in drafting can get a bit advanced, but the basics are:
* Take the colors that are available, don't try to force certain colors or archetypes.
* Early on, you want to prioritize impressive creatures and strong creature destruction.
* If you find that you are no longer getting cards in the colors you were going for before, and it's still early on in the draft, then go ahead and change colors. If it's late, you'll have to bear with it.

The more advanced techniques look at indicators. You can determine what colors the other players are going into from what colors are conspicuously absent from your pile of cards, or if a strong card is still in the pile even well into the round. You generally don't want to be in the same colors as the people around you. This can be a bit hard to figure out, so don't worry too much, but you should be aware that it's a thing.

Awesome. So despite the store from which I purchased my fat pack from on Ebay having nearly 500 positive feedbacks over at least a one year period, he's since had a chance of business plan, by taking the money and running from around 50 listings (MTG products, yu gi ho, Pokemon etc), and promptly quit Ebay.

I'll get my money back of course, but it will be a while before I can get Ebay to refund me!

Seems a bit wasteful to spend £25 on just full art lands, at least with the FP I was getting some boosters et al to round it off! Thinking of pumping it into shocks or some fetchlands tbh. Wizards really need to produce another batch of fatpacks.

El Topo

I'd recommend doing test drafts online to get the hang of it. There's also plenty of interesting draft videos by professionals that can be helpful to understand better on what to prioritize or avoid.
Just don't watch LSV draft videos. There's way too many of them and it's hard to stop.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";181636686]I didn't like Tasigur in my deck. He didn't seem to change any matchups and he was just a random efficient value card that didn't synergize with anything my deck was doing. Also, Ojutai is the worst thing you can do in the mirror and he's not even insane in most of the other matchups.

And yeah, 24 lands is mostly because I don't play 5-drops and I keep going lighter on Soulfire. I might wind up with 0 by the time the rest of my cards arrive.[/QUOTE]I'm pretty sure you need 25 lands minimum to run a 4-color deck regardless of how high your curve is.

My current list is:

2 Dragonmaster Outcast
4 Jace, Vryn's Prodigy
4 Mantis Rider
1 Tasigur, the Golden Fang
4 Hangarback Walker

4 Gideon, Ally of Zendikar

2 Ojutai's Command
4 Crackling Doom
2 Dig Through Time
1 Dispel
2 Valorous Stance
3 Fiery Impulse
1 Murderous Cut
1 Wild Slash

4 Bloodstained Mire
4 Polluted Delta
3 Flooded Strand
2 Prairie Stream
1 Sunken Hollow
2 Smoldering Marsh
2 Mystic Monastery
3 Plains
2 Island
2 Mountain

Sideboard:

1 Silumgar, the Drifting Death
1 Tragic Arrogance
1 Negate
3 Disdainful Stroke
3 Radiant Flames
3 Arashin Cleric
2 Duress
1 Dragonlord Ojutai

The Ojutai is probably going to get cut even from the Board. There's basically 0 matches I ever want to board him in for. I probably just want Erase in there since I've been mostly just "getting away" with no enchantment hate.

Angry Grimace

Awesome. So we keep what we draft?

If you open a really shiny land card with an orange symbol on the bottom, immediately draft it and put it in a sleeve. If you open a card called "Gideon, Ally of Zendikar" draft it regardless of what color you are in.

Socat

If you open a really shiny land card with an orange symbol on the bottom, immediately draft it and put it in a sleeve. If you open a card called "Gideon, Ally of Zendikar" draft it regardless of what color you are in.

Unless it's one of those places that does rare redraft, and if it is, run away quickly. I would recommend calling the store beforehand to verify what format that they are playing for FNM so you are prepared.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom