• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Battle for Zendikar |OT| Lands matter (but nothing else does)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
That 17 year old kid that found the $60,000 binder at NYCC posted a follow up in which he admitted to thinking really, really hard about keeping that binder. Because someone in the reddit thread trolled him by saying he was a thief (which makes no sense in a "lost and found" thread) and it made him feel really bad that other people defended him because he internally considered just keeping it.

But his name is still "lolhentai4ever."

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Fuck yeah he considered it. If Jesus himself came down and saw a binder with a Black Lotus in in he'd be like "Man, I already died for these ungrateful fucks. When's Jezus gonna get his?"

OnPoint

I would imagine that finding something you would want would always illicit thoughts of keeping it to some degree in anyone. Anyone who says otherwise is either a liar or the most saintly person ever. You're not a bad person until you actually keep it.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Gonna laugh when this turns out to be an elaborate ruse to get a bunch of reddit gold.

hort

Neo Member
Unless it's one of those places that does rare redraft, and if it is, run away quickly. I would recommend calling the store beforehand to verify what format that they are playing for FNM so you are prepared.

I hate the idea of rare redrafting. I'm glad no one around here does it.

Angry Grimace

How do we know it ended up at the rightful owner anyway? The Internet is full of jerks.

The guy that called him knew all of the cards in the binder.

And I suspect if a $60,000 binder went missing and the wrong guy claimed it, the real guy would probably be making a big stink about it.

Firemind

The guy that called him knew all of the cards in the binder.

And I suspect if a $60,000 binder went missing and the wrong guy claimed it, the real guy would probably be making a big stink about it.
Well, not everyone is a redditor.

If you had told me someone found a binder worth sixty grand, I'd have summed up the most expensive cards in the game too!

It seems legit though. I believe it. God knows we need more feel-good stories after a bunch of depressing news over the last few months.

JulianImp

I hate the idea of rare redrafting. I'm glad no one around here does it.

I had to do it once in the Morningtide prerelease, which was nice since I ended up getting first or second place in my pod, and two Mutavaults had been opened. I had a pretty cool RG giants deck, but the card value from my pulls/picks was really bad.

While redrafting does help players focus on building strong decks rather than just rare drafting (which can be a pretty big pitfall for newer players), it also creates lots of feel-bad situations where you might end up opening two valuable cards (or just cards you wanted for your collection), but redrafting guarantees that you won't be getting both of them even if you end up placing first.

Golden pick drafting often meant I was picking innistrad buddylands for my standard decks over cards that'd help me win, but then again it was a personal choice and that guaranteed that I'd leave the draft with something I knew I wanted for my decks, rather than picking to win and having to try my luck at opening a couple of prize packs.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
I'm pretty sure you need 25 lands minimum to run a 4-color deck regardless of how high your curve is.

My current list is:

2 Dragonmaster Outcast
4 Jace, Vryn's Prodigy
4 Mantis Rider
1 Tasigur, the Golden Fang
4 Hangarback Walker

4 Gideon, Ally of Zendikar

2 Ojutai's Command
4 Crackling Doom
2 Dig Through Time
1 Dispel
2 Valorous Stance
3 Fiery Impulse
1 Murderous Cut
1 Wild Slash

4 Bloodstained Mire
4 Polluted Delta
3 Flooded Strand
2 Prairie Stream
1 Sunken Hollow
2 Smoldering Marsh
2 Mystic Monastery
3 Plains
2 Island
2 Mountain

Sideboard:

1 Silumgar, the Drifting Death
1 Tragic Arrogance
1 Negate
3 Disdainful Stroke
3 Radiant Flames
3 Arashin Cleric
2 Duress
1 Dragonlord Ojutai

The Ojutai is probably going to get cut even from the Board. There's basically 0 matches I ever want to board him in for. I probably just want Erase in there since I've been mostly just "getting away" with no enchantment hate.

This is brutally close to my original list and I really liked it. I've been thinking about cutting Ojutai as well. I'm guessing you never feel bad running into Gideon?

Ashodin

Gonna laugh when this turns out to be an elaborate ruse to get a bunch of reddit gold.

This is what I was thinking from the start. It is incredibly easy to set up this type of thing.

Ulamog, Jace and the Ugin Band

Actually really fucking cool to learn Ulamog (and by extension, all of the brood of the other titans) are just a part of their being, like a nervous system being unleashed upon a plane.

It actually makes me wonder if the reason the titans convert into different matter is to actually "birth" another titan through destroying life and converting matter into titan matter.

This ties back into Bolas' plan I think - he wants the Eldrazi to convert a plane into complete energy or step in right between they create another titan and absorb that energy to become godlike again.

I just want another
6688.jpg

red13th

Well, not everyone is a redditor.

If you had told me someone found a binder worth sixty grand, I'd have summed up the most expensive cards in the game too!

It seems legit though. I believe it. God knows we need more feel-good stories after a bunch of depressing news over the last few months.

he told the cards in the first three pages in order and mentioned details about the binder itself (something about the cover starting to peel), seems legit IMO.

Ashodin

Bolas endgame is to get his power back. Simple as that. After that, he'll likely setup new machinations to prevent and/or kill all other planeswalkers to prevent them from reaching his level. He's a megalomaniac.

Imagine Garruk getting unspeakable power and having hunter face off against the mightest prey; the strongest dragon planeswalker alive.

That's a shitty endgame, and if he wasn't so obsessed with getting his powers back he probably could have killed 90% of them already.

Tezzeret got unspeakable power and lost to Bolas in a non canon fight.

Ashodin

That's a shitty endgame, and if he wasn't so obsessed with getting his powers back he probably could have killed 90% of them already.

It probably infuriates him to no end that he literally can't even deal with them like he used to (I imagine he enjoyed the freedom of being nigh-unkillable and ageless). He could potentially end up losing a fight and that makes him incredibly angry.

So his goal is to make sure he can NEVER lose a fight ever.

Technically he lost a fight when Sarkhan helped Ugin survive. I'm not even sure Bolas remembers it as Ugin surviving at all, so he'll likely be incredibly pissed to learn Ugin is alive.

If Jace's plan is to bring the entirety of Ulamog into the plane (which uh, might actually break the plane, considering if they're saying Ulamog's hand is that huge) then Bolas' plan might be to absorb the power of an Eldrazi titan that is fully manifested onto the plane. Unsure. (We've seen that Eldrazi power can be absorbed, albeit by a being that was "descended" from Eldrazi, the vampires. Who knows if Planeswalkers can too).

It's highly likely that Bolas is on the plane somewhere, and is aware of Ugin somehow.

I'm actually agreeing with what someone saying earlier that Ob Nob interfering with the hedron cage might be good in the long run. Obby getting his planeswalker powers back is a bad thing tho. He is definitely going after Liliana and/or searching for Nahiri.

Bolas isn't actually interested in killing any of the named non-Ugin planeswalkers right now, though.

What he does just feels pointless, redundant.

There's no tangible difference, just a baddy doing baddy things to be able to do baddy things.

It probably infuriates him to no end that he literally can't even deal with them like he used to (I imagine he enjoyed the freedom of being nigh-unkillable and ageless). He could potentially end up losing a fight and that makes him incredibly angry.

So his goal is to make sure he can NEVER lose a fight ever.

Technically he lost a fight when Sarkhan helped Ugin survive. I'm not even sure Bolas remembers it as Ugin surviving at all, so he'll likely be incredibly pissed to learn Ugin is alive.

If Jace's plan is to bring the entirety of Ulamog into the plane (which uh, might actually break the plane, considering if they're saying Ulamog's hand is that huge) then Bolas' plan might be to absorb the power of an Eldrazi titan that is fully manifested onto the plane. Unsure. (We've seen that Eldrazi power can be absorbed, albeit by a being that was "descended" from Eldrazi, the vampires. Who knows if Planeswalkers can too).

It's highly likely that Bolas is on the plane somewhere, and is aware of Ugin somehow.

I'm actually agreeing with what someone saying earlier that Ob Nob interfering with the hedron cage might be good in the long run. Obby getting his planeswalker powers back is a bad thing tho. He is definitely going after Liliana and/or searching for Nahiri.

I get that but woth WoTC making Time Spiral entirely about killing off the all powerful walkers, it's clear he'll never have any chance to succeed in any of it. He's pretty much a comic book villain at this point. And please not another revenge plot.

Angry Grimace

LSV's lucksack topdecking in his videos drives me crazy

Angry Grimace

This is brutally close to my original list and I really liked it. I've been thinking about cutting Ojutai as well. I'm guessing you never feel bad running into Gideon?
4 delve spells is probably questionable but it's been fine so far.

Firemind

Bolas simply wants to become the most powerful being of the multiverse. I say we let him. He is pro-mana after all. Ask yourself this: Would you rather have your rights to bear mana taken away from you? Or do you want to live in the greatest plane god has given us, a place where every wizard has the right to use mana to defend themselves? Exactly.

El Topo

LSV's lucksack topdecking in his videos drives me crazy

The latest batch is hilarious. Several times he draws exactly the card needed to avert certain loss and instead instantly wins.

I think the most infuriating one is this one:
Enemy plays Pact of Slaughter. LSV draws Upheaval.

Upheaval's Oracle text has always read "you win the game." It's rarely that immediate or amusing, but resolving Upheaval in Cube almost certainly has a 99% win percentage.

Black doesn't fit any Equipment synergies but negatives imo and the ultimate is literally the ability of a card that costs WW, given it's irremovable but still.

Also the 0 doesn't prevent damage which makes her dead to a lot.

OnPoint

Have a fake new Nahiri commander (no room for the commander text)

http://i.imgur.com/bGReij7.png[img][/QUOTE]

Nahiri is already playable as a commander, aside from her PW card...

[img]http://i.imgur.com/Y1go38T.jpg

On the real though, I'm not seeing any black in that Nahiri at all. I also think her 0 ability is not good (like I don't want to be mean but what does that do for you really?), and Gideon's turf anyway.

The plus ability also doesn't make sense -- she makes equipment, not soldiers. Maybe if it was like " +1: Put a Lithomaster Blade equipment token onto the battlefield that reads 'equipped creature gets +1/+0 and lifelink, Equip (0)' ". That accounts for her ability to make equipment, makes it easy to make and equip on the turn you play her, and ties in both white and black using Lifelink. Plus the name LithoMASTER implies she'd be a step above LithoMANCER.

If we wanted to give her a cool 0 ability, make it something like " 0: Equip target equipment to target creature you control ". However, it's the same problem I have with the ultimate. There is precious little relevant equipment is floating around standard these days, so these abilities feel wasted. It might be cool if, when we get Newer Phyrexia, she's there helping out the resistance or something.

As fro the ultimate, shit, I don't know. It would probably largely be story-based.

Ashodin

redesign

5dr7HGP.png

First ability: Tutor for equipment. Black.

Second ability: gain white/black abilities on equipment

Third ability: shit is big and deadly but only if equipment still on the board

redesign

-snip-

First ability: Tutor for equipment. Black.White

Second ability: gain white/black abilities on equipment

Third ability: shit is big and deadly but only if equipment still on the board

Equipment tutoring is white. Like literally.

If it's an emblem it should have the effect of a prominent equipment. Like Sword of Kaldra, always liked that one.

Random thought, would this be too strong?

Creature Ritual - 1R
Sorcery
Add RRR to your mana pool. Spend this mana only to cast creature spells.
Draw a card.

OnPoint

Well considering Nahiri herself is not a body...

And black now with the loss of life!

Vampiric Tutor looks for (any)things and charges 2 life, so you're close. And while attaching life loss doesn't necessarily make it black, all abilities don't have to be all colors, so the design didn't NEED that. That said, the ability is lolworthy-busted. As a 4-mana PW, it should put the equipment into your hand for a +1, and even then, tutoring feels like a minus ability based on how strong it is.

Random thought, would this be too strong?

Creature Ritual - 1R
Sorcery
Add RRR to your mana pool. Spend this mana only to cast creature spells.
Draw a card.

I don't think so? But are they still doing rituals in red? It's been a while.

Ashodin

fGFqSAa.png

Nahiri 3

First ability eats your health for what you search om nom

Second ability same

Third ability is better version (without doublestrike) of Nahiri Lithomancer to show she's grown

Ashodin

I think if you make a 4CC planeswalker, the card should have some way to defend itself.

Maybe 3WB and 6 Loyalty?

If you want some (made up) story behind Ms. Lithomaster, she went to another plane to find Sorin but ended up on a plane where Planeswalkers are trapped by their spark by the entire plane itself (Agemnon). The plane being an entire living being with a nervous system, feeds on planeswalkers' lives until they consume their spark by living there and dying of old age or whatever. Nahiri figures out that the only way to escape the plane is to eventually combine her blood with her weapons to be able to damage the avatars of the plane just enough to break their magical spark suppression, and in doing so, learns how to merge blood magic and crafting equipment. Or something like that.

Off of the top of my head.

OnPoint

http://i.imgur.com/fGFqSAa.png[img]

Nahiri 3

First ability eats your health for what you search om nom

Second ability same

Third ability is better version (without doublestrike) of Nahiri Lithomancer to show she's grown[/QUOTE]

The casting cost is good. Don't bump her up. You're on your way with that first ability. I like that a lot more. The second ability I like a lot less. Maybe that's where you could do something to have her protect herself. Let's get a little creative with her history. She made the the Zendikar Hedrons, right? And those, on a grand scale, trapped the Eldrazi. So let's make a much smaller version. Have her generate a Hedron Token for -2 or -3 that reads "Tap: Tap target creature". Would be useable at quite a few phases of the game.

Angry Grimace

Nahiri, Eldrazi Mastermind 2BBB

+1: Put a 1/1 colorless Eldrazi Scion creature token onto the battlefield. It has "Sacrifice this creature: Add 1 to your mana pool."
-2: Eldrazi you control gain +2/+2 until end of turn.
-7: Put a colorless Equipment artifact token named Eldrazi Control Rod onto the battlefield. It has indestructible, "Equipped creature gets +10/+10, has protection from all colors and equip 0"

El Topo

Maybe 3WB and 6 Loyalty?

No defense means it's pointless, even moreso if it's expensive. Equipment tutoring is a defense if you play cards with Living Weapon, but that's very limited. All abilities being in some relation to equipment is also problematic. Given that it's black and white, you could probably add some sacrifice effect or Exile a card until your next turn. Heck, why not a permanent Pacifism?

It's pretty late, but if you really want everything to be related to equipment, why not have something like this:

-2 Target creature becomes an Equipment card with Equip X where X is that creature's converted mana cost and "Equipped Creature gets +X/+X".

I can't think of a way to properly formulate this and if it would ever work. You'd probably have to specify that the creature can no longer attack and it would ultimately be too long and complicated.

Nahiri, Eldrazi Mastermind

Also in the set: Jace, Mastermind of Masterminds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom