• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Battle for Zendikar |OT| Lands matter (but nothing else does)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hackworth

Uncharted Realms - Revelation at the Eye
* To my surprise, Jace didn't know that all of Ulamog's brood actually were all Ulamog until now.
* It is possible to destroy what is recognized as Ulamog, and that will hurt the real Ulamog, but doing this will just make it leave and go to a different plane.
* It seems like Jace's plan is to pull all of Ulamog into Zendikar, instead of just the "hand" that is the creature Ulamog, and then kill it somehow. I think Ob Nixilis interfering with the ritual in the end might be a good thing.
Man I didn't know all of this yet, cool.

Ashodin

Man I didn't know all of this yet, cool.

Yeah the part that really interests me is the fact that the titans aren't actually on the plane - they're manifestations of their nebulous real forms that are still chilling in the blind eternities.

For all intents and purposes their extension of their body is there.

G.ZZZ

Rituals are still red, but they don't print many and don't make them strong because storm. Restricting the mana to creatures seems like an easy solution.

The most recent ritual:
Image.ashx

Why does this cost 3? Lol that's beyond terrible , thx wotc for red as always.

Sneak-Attack variants, like through the breach are an easy way to do rituals that don't work with storm:

Sudden Deployment XR
Instant
Put a creature with converted mana cost twice X or less from your hand to the battlefield. It gain haste until the end of turn.

At 5 mana like through the breach, it put up to 8 mana creatures into play, without the sacrifice clause. That's only marginally better than seething song for creatures i guess, but it's more flexible in its casting cost. Hasted Rhynos for 2R!

Or artifact themed version:

Dwarven Smithcraft 1R
Sorcery
Until the end of turn, your next artifact spell cost 5 less to play.

Made it cost cost 2 and reduce by 5 so it isn't too good with Lodestone/stax and multiple spheres for MUD, and is a bit unsinergistic with Workshop cause it need 2 non-workshop mana. Still really good at casting 3 mana Wurmcoils and the like.

I don't know why all the thran/artificers were always blue. Dwarven are quintessential red and master creators. Feldon of the third path was amazing. Go for more things like it. Daretti was also amazing, while a bit underpowered. It would've probably created a new viable deck in legacy at 2R. At 3R, it's a borderline playable and fun card. Better just print efficient blue beaters and card draws, those sure make for new and interesting cantrip.decks

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Yeah the part that really interests me is the fact that the titans aren't actually on the plane - they're manifestations of their nebulous real forms that are still chilling in the blind eternities.

For all intents and purposes their extension of their body is there.

That was something we knew about earlier - the existence of their physical manifestations is due to Nahiri's magic. At the time they were Oldwalkers and couldn't beat them.

Rituals are still red, but they don't print many and don't make them strong because storm. Restricting the mana to creatures seems like an easy solution.

The most recent ritual:
Image.ashx

That's not really a ritual. That's just the cleanest way within the rules to allow you to dynamically distribute variable power among your creatures.

I want to say the last real ritual was Battle Hymn?

Sultai Aristocrats is fun as fuck, good lord.

Blisterpod/Bloodsoaked Champ - > Carrier Thrall/Zulaport Cutthroat -> Sidisi (both) / From Beyond -> Ruthless Deathfang. With copious Bone Splinters and Vampiric Rites along the way.

Joe Molotov

I would imagine that finding something you would want would always illicit thoughts of keeping it to some degree in anyone. Anyone who says otherwise is either a liar or the most saintly person ever. You're not a bad person until you actually keep it.

I'd accept being a bad person.

Here is what I've managed to scrap together for Abzan. Please give me some recommendations, especially on the mana base. But I've spent about as much money as I'd care to. lol But I have all of the Khans fetch lands, I've seen others splashed for additional fetch.

Also some sideboard ideas please, however I have no idea what my local meta will look like. Usually a mix of total beatable jank and Professional Top8 Net decks.

1 Blighted Woodland
2 Caves of Koilos
1 Forest
4 Llanowar Wastes
4 Plains
4 Sandsteppe Citadel
4 Swamp
4 Windswept Heath

3 Anafenza, the Foremost
4 Blisterpod
2 Catacomb Sifter
4 Hangarback Walker
4 Siege Rhino
1 Tasigur, the Golden Fang
2 Warden of the First Tree

4 Gideon, Ally of Zendikar
1 Ob Nixilis Reignited

4 Abzan Charm
2 From Beyond
2 Murderous Cut
1 Ruinous Path
1 Secure the Wastes
1 Utter End

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/131186906308/will-oath-of-the-gatewatch-also-have-full-art

wheelofarmageddon asked: Will Oath of the Gatewatch also have full art basic lands (like Worldwake did)? And if so, will they also be in the fat packs?

Oath of the Gatewatch will have full art basic lands. They will be the same full art lands from Battle for Zendikar (complete with expansion symbol). The Oath of the Gatewatch fat packs will also have full art basic lands. The Battle for Zendikar gift box, by the way, will not have full art basic lands (except, of course, for inside booster packs).

Yay another way to sell packs of land for 20 bucks

Joe Molotov

http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/131186906308/will-oath-of-the-gatewatch-also-have-full-art

wheelofarmageddon asked: Will Oath of the Gatewatch also have full art basic lands (like Worldwake did)? And if so, will they also be in the fat packs?

Oath of the Gatewatch will have full art basic lands. They will be the same full art lands from Battle for Zendikar (complete with expansion symbol). The Oath of the Gatewatch fat packs will also have full art basic lands. The Battle for Zendikar gift box, by the way, will not have full art basic lands (except, of course, for inside booster packs).

Yay another way to sell packs of land for 20 bucks

#LandsMatter

Haines

Banned
Listened to bfz first impressions by limited resources and essentially agreed on everything and already had most thoughts feelings with the parts of set i did interact with which made me realize this shit is for certain for me.

Going to hit my second sealed this weekend for sure.

3-0 and 2-1 my last five drafts.
Feeling comfortable with the format.
Enter 64-player release event.
Draft pretty good W/R allies w/ two Munda's, good removal, good curve.
Out of the tournament in less than 10 minutes.

I knew I was in for it when he played his third Eldrazi Skyspawner on turn five. I had to mulligan both times and my draws weren't great but I got run the fuck over. Shit was brutal.

I'm legit Salty right now. I did a BFZ Draft with a club on Campus and went 1-2. I don't mind that, but my opponent's were idiots. They didn't know how the basics worked(summoning sickness, when you can cast spells, etc) and every game I lost was due to my Mana base fucking me over, either by not drawing any land past my opening or drawing 12 land over 9 turns+ opening band.

Highlights of the night:
  • Having my opponents try to tap the 2/1 Dork that doesn't have haste on my turn
  • Having opponents who try to cast an Enchantment during Combat
  • Having opponents try to cast sorceries during a non main phase time
  • Getting flooded/screwed every game I lost(As in Either not draw a single land past my opening hand or get flooded hard.)

Like, I get that these players are new, but please understand the rules. They tried to tell me that Gideon could become a creature and attack immediately because he has haste, etc.

On the bright side, I pulled a Gideon, but the whole Draft was crap.

Yeef

The nice thing about being a known judge in your local community is that people are less likely to argue with you about rulings. That's not to say judge's are infallible, but before I was a judge, people would second-guess and argue with me about rules all the time.

Obviously, you should become a judge and your drafts will be better!

The nice thing about being a known judge in your local community is that people are less likely to argue with you about rulings. That's not to say judge's are infallible, but before I was a judge, people would second-guess and argue with me about rules all the time.

Obviously, you should become a judge and your drafts will be better!

I've debated it, considering my best friend is a judge and I have a mind for rules. How does one go about it?

If that's the case, I wonder if we'll just not get them in Standard any time in the near future.

Very possibly not. They can cook up a number of other ways to get supply out into the world if they really want to.

KTK is nothing akin to GoT, because GoT was fantasy based in ideas that was already super established in TV/Film(European focused fantasy) .

I mean, Innistrad and Twilight don't actually have that much in common when you get down to details either, but Khans was leaning on the familiar model of vaguely-Asian warlords in a world where dragons are just now coming back in the same way that Innistrad's popularity was coasting on a pop culture zeitgeist filled with vampires.

I know that there's a vocal portion of people who like the set, but I've heard that it's considered a dud by a lot of players.

Yeah, this is not correct. KTK was a huge hit across all WotC's major demographics -- it's probably a little above the level of original Zendikar.

I hate the idea of rare redrafting. I'm glad no one around here does it.

Redrafting is just some bullshit people do to scam newbs. Never ever play at a store that tries to get people to do this.

Angry Grimace

We are pretty much guaranteed to go back to Tarkir, and I would be shocked if the plot was anything other than the two timelines coming together and they fight.

JulianImp

I've debated it, considering my best friend is a judge and I have a mind for rules. How does one go about it?

Ask local judges around, find a level 2 (or higher) judge that wants to mentor you, read the IPG and the Comp Rules, and finally judge a couple events as a L0 while under your mentor's supervision before you're allowed to take the L1 exam.

Now that I think about it, I think L1 tests no longer focus on the IPG anymore (since they moved those responsibilities up to L2), so you'll probably have to focus on the CRs and general card interactions. Taking the Rules Advisor test would probably be a good way to check how much you'd have to study before going for L1.

Yeah, this is not correct. KTK was a huge hit across all WotC's major demographics -- it's probably a little above the level of original Zendikar.

I love Tarkir, but I was mentioning Kamigawa, should have made that more clear. Khans was fantastic, but from what I've heard Kamigawa was not.

Anyways, I do agree with you on most of it, though I still think "Fairy Tale World" is going to be a hard sell.

Also, I just realized that KTK block showed us how you can do a 3 Block set well right as they leave and BFZ looks like it's the exact opposite of what Wizard's wanted to showcase the new 2 Block system.

traveler

Not Wario
I'm kind of disappointed I jumped back into the game with this set rather than Tarkir. It looks like a much better block, some completely lackluster mechanics aside. (Ferocious, megamorph, and formidable seem super derivative in particular, and outlast and prowess not much better) Way more playable and interesting cards, and a much more cohesive and appealing flavor than BfZ.

Ashodin

Innistrad is fucking awesome tho, I never played when it came out, but the setting is amazing. Gothic horror magic is good shit.

The Eldrazi going there is guaranteed, and Sorin would feel like it is personal.

And it gave us flip Jace (in the future) :p

first possible commander 2015 spoiler

bhHB1GQ.jpg

His experience counter gain seems weird. You have to play big creatures in RW which is typically fast weenies? Seems counter to the deck.

WotC fucked up putting up the wrong commander image on some shop

Speaking of returning to previous planes, which one does everyone think WOTC will revisit next? Part of me hopes Innistrad in a year or two, since that was one of my starting sets! Or perhaps one of the more tribal planes?

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Innistrad is fucking awesome tho, I never played when it came out, but the setting is amazing. Gothic horror magic is good shit.

The Eldrazi going there is guaranteed, and Sorin would feel like it is personal.

And it gave us flip Jace (in the future) :p

first possible commander 2015 spoiler

bhHB1GQ.jpg

His experience counter gain seems weird. You have to play big creatures in RW which is typically fast weenies? Seems counter to the deck.

WotC fucked up putting up the wrong commander image on some shop

Bigassdragons.dec

Awesome way to have a commander matter.

Violet_0

Banned
what would be a typical win condition for a Jeskai Commander deck with Narset, Enlightened Master? I'm going through the card lists and got plenty of boardwipes, card draw and ways of recycling spells, but I'm not sure how that deck would close the game unless you cast like two Blaze-type burn spells in a row
Speaking of returning to previous planes, which one does everyone think WOTC will revisit next? Part of me hopes Innistrad in a year or two, since that was one of my starting sets! Or perhaps one of the more tribal planes?
didn't play at the time so I don't know how well-received that set was but flavor-wise I think the Lorwyn block is really cool. Just no more artifact-themed sets, please

Hackworth

I'm building a Braids, Conjurer Adept EDH deck, and I'm basically just planning to fill it with huge sea-life.
Does anyone have any builds they recommend that aren't just more creatures than the opponent?

I'm building a Braids, Conjurer Adept EDH deck, and I'm basically just planning to fill it with huge sea-life.
Does anyone have any builds they recommend that aren't just more creatures than the opponent?

Timesifter. Paradox Haze.

After that, play blue sweepers and control effects. Cyclonic Rift is obvious, but things like Hoverguard Sweepers and Inundate are great. Kederekt Leviathan might be the best creature in the deck.

Bandini

what would be a typical win condition for a Jeskai Commander deck with Narset, Enlightened Master? I'm going through the card lists and got plenty of boardwipes, card draw and ways of recycling spells, but I'm not sure how that deck would close the game unless you cast like two Blaze-type burn spells in a row

I don't know if it's typical, but I personally use a lot of token generators in my Narset deck like Monastery Monk, Young Pyromancer, and Assemble the Legion, then I buff them with things like Jeskai Ascendancy and Cathars' Crusade. People tend to get annoyed when I'm taking 15 minute turns casting tons of spells and putting out token after token though.

Firemind

I don't know if it's typical, but I personally use a lot of token generators in my Narset deck like Monastery Monk, Young Pyromancer, and Assemble the Legion, then I buff them with things like Jeskai Ascendancy and Cathars' Crusade. People tend to get annoyed when I'm taking 15 minute turns casting tons of spells and putting out token after token though.
Yeah, cards that give extra combat phases are amazing with Narset. Add Conquerer's Pledge and Dictate of Heliod and games can end surprisingly quickly. But please, no Time Walks.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

My friend builds her as a much much faster Zur style deck. Lots of pump spells and auras

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom