• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Battle for Zendikar |OT| Lands matter (but nothing else does)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ultron87

One of my friends wants to play Tiny Leaders. I was initially like "ehhhhh", because it's obviously a scam or something, but after reviewing my cards it turns out I have most of the standard "good" stuff to put together a Jeskai deck. I kind of see the appeal now of having a place to get good use out of single expensive cards you happen to have, like Snapcaster Mage or Clique, but are far off from having a playset of. Which I guess Commander also does, but I only ever want to play Duel Commander, because there are far better games about interplayer politics I could play instead of MTG.

TL was no different than most community formats, except it let dealers drive up demand for otherwise worthless cards (which is why they got behind it so hard).

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
TL was no different than most community formats, except it let dealers drive up demand for otherwise worthless cards (which is why they got behind it so hard).

Yup. Most blatant attempt ever to sell off junk stock ever. Glad everybody saw through that one quickly. Just play causal commander and add beer to ensure extra casualness. Or just put together silly decks and play. Go back to the roots of the game. Play with Healing Salve and Craw Wurm. Dream of landing a Baron Sengir. Do it.

That's a fun subject.

Favorites:
  • White Spell - Enlightened Tutor
  • Blue Spell - Vendilion Clique
  • Black Spell - Thoughtseize
  • Red Spell - Simian Spirit Guide
  • Green Spell - Birthing Pod
  • Gold Spell - 2013 Vindicate
  • Colorless Spell - Skullclamp
  • Land - Dark Depths

Here is what I've managed to scrap together for Abzan. Please give me some recommendations, especially on the mana base. But I've spent about as much money as I'd care to. lol But I have all of the Khans fetch lands, I've seen others splashed for additional fetch.

Also some sideboard ideas please, however I have no idea what my local meta will look like. Usually a mix of total beatable jank and Professional Top8 Net decks.

1 Blighted Woodland
2 Caves of Koilos
1 Forest
4 Llanowar Wastes
4 Plains
4 Sandsteppe Citadel
4 Swamp
4 Windswept Heath

3 Anafenza, the Foremost
4 Blisterpod
2 Catacomb Sifter
4 Hangarback Walker
4 Siege Rhino
1 Tasigur, the Golden Fang
2 Warden of the First Tree

4 Gideon, Ally of Zendikar
1 Ob Nixilis Reignited

4 Abzan Charm
2 From Beyond
2 Murderous Cut
1 Ruinous Path
1 Secure the Wastes
1 Utter End

So is anyone good at building a manabase or is what I have a decent start?

cory64

Kalemne is good but doesn't make for fun gameplay. She needs some sort of benefit for going wide to really complete the battle flavor. Or maybe some burn effect for discarding an experience counter.

first possible commander 2015 spoiler

bhHB1GQ.jpg

His experience counter gain seems weird. You have to play big creatures in RW which is typically fast weenies? Seems counter to the deck.

Weren't people specifically asking for Commanders that didn't just promote the same kind of decks again? Big creatures in red-white seems pretty different.

On that note, something that I think could actually work in red that's currently in white is damage redirection. That is to say, the en-Kor ability and the Pariah ability (with "enchant creature you control" instead).
Image.ashx
Image.ashx
Image.ashx
Image.ashx

It isn't something that's used much anymore in white, other than the "extreme" version like Palisade Giant every once in a while, since white has outright damage prevention. It doesn't outright remove one of red's weaknesses, since the damage still has to go somewhere and red is less likely to have high-toughness creatures, so the creature doing the protecting is likely to die in place of the other creature. Plus, it carries the flavor of red's loyalty and love better than anything it currently has.

I thought once of creating an actual planechase format and or a planeconquer.

planechase would have involved trying to chase a player who moves planes and you can only interact with a player if you are on the same plane.

Planeconquer would have been a mode were you have to fulfill some criteria to "conquer" a plane which when done let's you reap the benefits of the plane.

But ultimately was too lazy to put in the work to figure it out.

OnPoint

Tiny Leaders pisses me off because the format seems like it could be fun, but I refuse to support it since it's an obvious ploy to get more cash out of players.

Anyway, this list idea is fun.

Favorites:
  • White Spell - Restoration Angel
  • Blue Spell - Polymorph
  • Black Spell - Dark Ritual
  • Red Spell - Mogg Maniac
  • Green Spell - Primeval Titan
  • Gold Spell - Sliver Queen
  • Colorless Spell - Wurmcoil Engine
  • Land - Cabal Coffers

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";181771344]That's a fun subject.[/QUOTE]

Favorites (let's be honest, this changes all the time):
  • White Spell - Balance
  • Blue Spell - Upheaval
  • Black Spell - Shriekmaw
  • Red Spell - Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker
  • Green Spell - Craterhoof Behemoth
  • Gold Spell - Desolation Angel (technically not gold, but practically gold)
  • Colorless Spell - Karn Liberated
  • Land - Ancient Tomb

Firemind

Favorites (let's be honest, this changes all the time):
  • White Spell - Balance
  • Blue Spell - Upheaval
  • Black Spell - Shriekmaw
  • Red Spell - Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker
  • Green Spell - Craterhoof Behemoth
  • Gold Spell - Desolation Angel (technically not gold, but practically gold)
  • Colorless Spell - Karn Liberated
  • Land - Ancient Tomb
d63siGg.gif

Tea Time

Neo Member
Speaking of silly decks...
I haven't been playing too long but I quite enjoy trying to come up with daft ideas and use those as I only really get to play Standard at FNM each week so like to have fun with it, though that obviously means I don't get much opportunity to test things.

The first bit of advice I was given at my first FNM after getting destroyed by Siege Rhinos was to look through the stuff I owned, find a card I like the sound of and build around it. I initially did that with Sphinx's Tutelage and used a mill deck for a bit but I'd also seen Arcbond and wanted to try and come up with something for that as it seemed interesting, but couldn't seem to make anything work without having a crapload of mana.
Then I pulled a few Zadas in my Zendikar box/fatpack and thought he might work.

I eventually settled on trying to get Zada and Seeker of the Way on the board together and zap Zada with Arcbond and Valorous Stance when one of them takes damage, giving me infinite life gain with lifelink while everything else takes infinite damage. I then tried to just build a deck around that with the rest focused on finding and playing the combo with pretty much what I already owned (I rounded off my Zadas and Valorous Stances through trades and buying but the rest is pretty much thrown together) and managed to get the combo off a couple of times at last week's FNM but it definitely needs work.

So, bearing in mind anything of any value in there as a one or two-of is likely the only copies of them I own (though I'm not against buying one or two other reasonable bits people recommend if I don't already have them), does anyone have any advice on what I could add/remove to tighten it up or is it all a lost cause?

Like I say, I'm not too experienced with this so should I stick with it or just scrap the whole thing and go Dark Jeskai instead?

1 Jace, Vryn's Prodigy
4 Seeker of the Way
4 Zada, Hedron Grinder
2 Dragonlord Dromoka

2 Dispel
2 Fiery Impulse
1 Magmatic Insight
2 Anticipate
4 Valorous Stance
4 Arcbond
2 Radiant Flames
1 Scatter to the Winds
4 Bring to Light
1 Dig Through Time
1 Treasure Cruise

1 Canopy Vista
4 Cinder Glade
1 Flooded Strand
1 Forest
3 Island
4 Lumbering Falls
4 Mountain
2 Plains
2 Prairie Stream
2 Windswept Heath
1 Wooded Foothills

Sideboard
2 Dragonmaster Outcast
2 Erase
1 Magmatic Insight
2 Monastery Swiftspear
2 Goblin Piledriver
1 Cancel
1 Undergrowth Champion
1 Clever Impersonator
1 Kiora, Master of the Depths
2 Treasure Cruise

I think I'm going to get rid of the green in there anyway if I stick with the combo idea. It was mainly there for Bring to Light but I barely used it in practice. Dromoka was nice but I'm sure he's replaceable.
So is this salvageable or a waste of time?

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Finally something we can agree with. Where can I sign a petition to make Fireblast modern legal?

Oh, man, could you imagine modern burn? lol.

Favorites:
  • White Spell - Wrath of God
  • Blue Spell - Counterspell
  • Black Spell - Dark Confidant (probably best designed Magic card of all time)
  • Red Spell - Fireblast
  • Green Spell - Rofellos
  • Gold Spell - Diregraf Captain
  • Colorless Spell - Emrakul
  • Land - Inkmoth Nexus

Socat

I have a dumb question. If I sack a scion with a Nantuko Husk, do I still get the extra mana, or only if I kill it by itself?

If you are sacrificing the scion to the husk, you only get the husks ability. The ability to sacrifice for mana is seperate.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Planechase Commander's the only way I've ever been able to enjoy that format.

I feel like that's just a function of there not being many good non-Commander casual deckbuilding formats. Like yeah, Planechase is going to suck if everyone has Modern decks, or if someone is running a dumb Vintage thing

Hmmm... I think my current favorite are

White Spell - Flickerform
Blue Spell - Gitaxian Probe
Black Spell - Vampire Nighthawk
Red Spell - Koth of the Hammer
Green Spell - Revenge of the Hunted
Gold Spell - Maelstrom Nexus
Colorless Spell - Brittle Effigy
Land - Teetering Peaks

Haines

Banned
Watched that lsv bfz draft on youtube. I learned to go for the big bad spells as almost a priority if there isnt some crazy ass creature drop.

Jumping on the bandwagon, big emphasis on the art with some cards

White Spell - Knight of the White Orchid
Blue Spell - Lord of Atlantis (7th Edition)
Black Spell - Bitterblossom
Red Spell - Knollspine Dragon
Green Spell - Noble Hierarch
Gold Spell - Geist of Saint Traft
Colorless Spell - Etched Champion
Land - Academy Ruins

I mean look at this, it's so beautiful. And it's only fitting for a lord to have an army with him.

And ofc imo the best drawn dragon in mtg.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
White Spell - Village Bellringer
Blue Spell - Deceiver Exarch
Black Spell - Dismember
Red Spell - Splinter Twin
Green Spell - Tarmogoyf
Gold Spell - Bounding Krasis
Land - Scalding Tarn

ultron87

White - Restoration Angel - Favorite card overall
Blue - Rite of Replication
Black - Dismember
Red - Thundermaw Hellkite
Green - Scavenging Ooze
Gold - Knight of the Reliquary
Colorless - Arcbound Ravager
Land - Inkmoth Nexus

Firemind

Avalanche Riders > Boom//Bust (cascade shenanigans notwithstanding)
Yeah Avalanche Riders is sweet too, but Time Spiral also had Greater Gargadon, which is a much better combo with Boom // Bust.

Edit: although time spiral also had momentary blink which combos with avalanche riders. hm

My turn, though I don't have the same level of experience as you guys:

White Card: Cathar's Crusade
Blue Card: Serum Visions
Black Card: Dark Confidant
Red Card: Purphoros, God of the Forge
Green Card: Ezuri, Renegade Leader
Gold: Trostani, Selesyna's Voice
Artifact: Lightning Greaves
Land: Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx

red13th

favourites form my cube

White: Stoneforge Mystic
Blue: Jace, the Mind Sculptor
Black: Dark Confidant
Red: Wildfire
Green: Birds of Paradise
Gold: Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas
Colourless: Umezawa's Jitte
Land: Forest?

Fun idea for a CoCo deck that turns into a Megamorph deck.

Bant Light Collection

28 Creatures
2 Warden of the First Tree
4 Rattleclaw Mystic
4 Heir of the Wilds
4 Harbinger of the Tides
3 Deathmist Raptor
2 Den Protector
2 Silumgar Sorceror
3 Nissa, Vastwood Seer
4 Vryn Wingmare

7 Spells
4 Collected Company
3 Bring to Light

25 Land
5 Forest
4 Islands
2 Plains
2 Canopy Vista
4 Flooded Strand
2 Lumbering Falls
2 Prairie Stream
4 Windswept Heath

Transformative Sideboard:
4 Hangarback Walker
3 Gideon, Ally of Zendikar
1 Evolutionary Leap
2 Wingmate Roc
1 Dispel
1 Hidden Dragonslayer
1 Stratus Dancer
2 Dromoka's Command

There's way too many good cards for CoCo decks right now, so hard to build. Minister of Pain, Yeva's Forcemage, Bounding Krasis. I just want to play everything.

...90 card CoCo? :p

I'm kind of disappointed I jumped back into the game with this set rather than Tarkir. It looks like a much better block, some completely lackluster mechanics aside. (Ferocious, megamorph, and formidable seem super derivative in particular, and outlast and prowess not much better) Way more playable and interesting cards, and a much more cohesive and appealing flavor than BfZ.
Why do you fucking plebs keep shitting on Ferocious? :mad:
It absolutely, perfectly accomplishes what it sets out to do: provide tempo to Stompy.

I'll post my favorite lists when I get to my computer.

Why do you fucking plebs keep shitting on Ferocious? :mad:
It absolutely, perfectly accomplishes what it sets out to do: provide tempo to Stompy.

I'll post my favorite lists when I get to my computer.
I was actually going to mention how Prowess is an amazing mechanic that sets out to emphasize was UR do best(noncreature spells) and give them a way to use it in their arguably worst aspect(creatures).

I do like Ferocious though, even though I'd put Delve, Raid, and Prowess above it IMO.

I have no idea what they were trying to do with Outlast as it was awful to use by itself. Bolster was better, though obviously it still had flaws. The Abzan Outlast Buds(Falconer, Ainok Bond Kin, Tuskguard Captain, Battle Priest, etc) are all nuts when you get them to have counters, but Outlast is way too slow.

MrDoctor

"Heaven or Hell" life gain deck I quickly threw together:

Creatures
Elesh Norn x1
Archangel of Thune x1
Ajani's Pridemate x3
Child of Night x3
Festering Newt x2
Banisher Priest x3
Soulmender x1
Fiendslayer Paladin x1
Seraph of the Sword x1
Ukud Cobra x1
Hand of Silumgar x2
Drana's Emissary x1

Artifacts
Bubbling Cauldron x2
Elixer of Immortality x1

Enchantments
Path of Bravery x1
Angelic Accord x2
Sanguine Bond x2
Skeletal Grimace x1

Soceries
Angel's Mercy x2
Fortify x1
Show of Valor x2
Butcher's Glee x1
Tandem Tactics x1

Lands
Seraph Sanctuary x2
Plains x12
Swap x6
Dismal Backwater x2
Blossoming Sands x1
Tranquil Cove x1
Jungle Hollow x2
----

How's it look? What I'd like is to slow down the opponent with black dickery while buffing myself with white spells. Cards I'm considering adding are Ajani Goldmane, Entreat the Angels, Martyr of Sands, Rhox Faithmender, Angelic Skirmisher, Battlegrace Angel, Sublime Archangel, and Serra Ascendant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom