• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Battle for Zendikar |OT| Lands matter (but nothing else does)

Status
Not open for further replies.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";181791420]Fun idea for a CoCo deck that turns into a Megamorph deck.

Bant Light Collection

28 Creatures
2 Warden of the First Tree
4 Rattleclaw Mystic
4 Heir of the Wilds
4 Harbinger of the Tides
3 Deathmist Raptor
2 Den Protector
2 Silumgar Sorceror
3 Nissa, Vastwood Seer
4 Vryn Wingmare

7 Spells
4 Collected Company
3 Bring to Light

25 Land
5 Forest
4 Islands
2 Plains
2 Canopy Vista
4 Flooded Strand
2 Lumbering Falls
2 Prairie Stream
4 Windswept Heath

Transformative Sideboard:
4 Hangarback Walker
3 Gideon, Ally of Zendikar
1 Evolutionary Leap
2 Wingmate Roc
1 Dispel
1 Hidden Dragonslayer
1 Stratus Dancer
2 Dromoka's Command

There's way too many good cards for CoCo decks right now, so hard to build. Minister of Pain, Yeva's Forcemage, Bounding Krasis. I just want to play everything.

...90 card CoCo? :p[/QUOTE]

You know, I've been looking for a Bant deck recently, and this looks like a lot of fun.

duxstar

Here are a couple of my favorite cards I've learned to love.

White: Cataclysm
Blue: Tarmogoyf, lol I'm reality I'm not a huge blue fan, I'm really having a tough time coming up with something, Ancestral recall is pretty fun.
Black: probably inquisition of kozilek , a very skill testing card.
Red: Akroma Angel of fury
Green: Courser of Kruphix
Colorless: Aether Vial
Multicolor: Fleecemane Lion and Voice of resurgence. I can't choose just one they are both similar in that a control deck saw one come down and would just groan. Voice was probably more hated but I had more time with fleecemane, it was the first card that I got to play a whole rotation with. I was sad when cards like Voice and Advent of the wurm left but fleecemane was like losing a buddy that had been there with me from day 1.
Land : Karakas, I didn't realize it's power right away until I played legacy. I literally played a deck that's sole game plan was to make me empty my hand and win with Lilliana on the field. A Karakas, Aether Vial , and Thalia were able to whittle lilliana down and take over the game afterwards it felt so cool.

Joe Molotov

As a black mage back in the day, my favorite dragons were Catacomb Dragon and Ebon Dragon.

10.jpg
13.jpg

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I feel like you should get experience counters on that one dude if its in the command zone.

Bandini

White: Spectral Procession
Blue: Mana Leak
Black: Dark Confidant
Green: Experiment One
Red: Young Pyromancer
Multicolor: Supreme Verdict
Colorless: Karn Liberated
Land: Strip Mine, cause I have to throw at least one OP card in this list

OnPoint

Outlast is by far and away the worst mechanic in the whole Khans block and anyone who argues otherwise is crazy.

Overcosted and underpowered. Should have been available at Instant speed, or it should have granted better advantages. Or both! Something like:

Intrepid Scout (1)(W)

Outlast (W) ((W) tap: Put a +1/+1 counter on this creature. This ability can be activated as though this creature has Haste.)

When you Outlast Intrepid Scout, creatures you control gain Lifelink until the end of the turn.

1/3​

This way you can drop this creature and activate it on the same turn it comes into play. It can be activated in response to removal. It can be a combat option. An application of the ability like this makes an Outlast creature not useless.

Delve was a straight up retread and it's still awesome. :mad:

Outlast is by far and away the worst mechanic in the whole Khans block and anyone who argues otherwise is crazy.

You have to admit that futureshifted mechanics are different.

I really liked Outlast as a Limited mechanic. It was a real tension between powering up, attacking, and staying back to block. Bolster, on the other hand, had no such interesting decisions to be made.

ultron87

Outlast at instant speed is boring. It isn't a choice. You just always do it end step if you're not attacking and have extra mana.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Overcosted and underpowered. Should have been available at Instant speed, or it should have granted better advantages. Or both! Something like:

Intrepid Scout (1)(W)

Outlast (W) ((W) tap: Put a +1/+1 counter on this creature. This ability can be activated as though this creature has Haste.)

When you Outlast Intrepid Scout, creatures you control gain Lifelink until the end of the turn.

1/3​

This way you can drop this creature and activate it on the same turn it comes into play. It can be activated in response to removal. It can be a combat option. An application of the ability like this makes an Outlast creature not useless.
Outlast was fine in limited. It's not a constructed level mechanic.

I will reluctantly admit I drafted a few too many of those 0/4 guys for B with Outlast (lol)

OnPoint

Outlast was fine in limited. It's not a constructed level mechanic.

I will reluctantly admit I drafted a few too many of those 0/4 guys for B with Outlast (lol)

Then they shouldn't have Outlast creatures at rare. None of them were so powerful that they were broken in big numbers.

Opening this never felt good for anyone

6rRlrH5.jpg

Angry Grimace

Except drafting Herald of Anafenza was key to drafting the secret B/W Herald and Krumar deck

OnPoint

Well, that took a turn I wasn't expecting.

I guess if you gotta find value in a shitty card, why not a goofy themed draft deck?

Yeef

Outlast was fantastic in limited. Not every mechanic is designed for constructed. In fact, most mechanics aren't design for constructed.

Favorite Cards:
  • White: Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
  • Blue: Training Grounds
  • Black: Tragic Slip
  • Red: Ash Zealot
  • Green: Titania, Protector of Argoth
  • Multicolor: Golgari Charm
  • Colorless: Civic Saber
  • Land: Sacred Foundry (GTC)

Hackworth

Timesifter. Paradox Haze.

After that, play blue sweepers and control effects. Cyclonic Rift is obvious, but things like Hoverguard Sweepers and Inundate are great. Kederekt Leviathan might be the best creature in the deck.
I think I've got Kederekt Leviathan, Paradox Haze and Cyclonic Rift. I'll also include Scourge of Fleets, Curse of Swine and Evacuation.
Like, thanks for the help, I'm just missing key cards apparently.

Do you think it's worth putting March of the Machines, Tide Drifter and Mycosynth Lattice as a frgile land destruction combo, or should I just stick more eldrazi in those slots, maybe aside Brutal Slaughter?

I think I've got Kederekt Leviathan, Paradox Haze and Cyclonic Rift. I'll also include Scourge of Fleets, Curse of Swine and Evacuation.
Like, thanks for the help, I'm just missing key cards apparently.

Do you think it's worth putting March of the Machines, Tide Drifter and Mycosynth Lattice as a frgile land destruction combo, or should I just stick more eldrazi in those slots, maybe aside Brutal Slaughter?

I went and pulled up my Braids list that I play sometimes on MTGO. It's decent, but it's not perfect - Braids is a really hard deck to win with because it's so hard to break the symmetry without just playing all of the broken blue spells (mono Time Warps.dek), and at that point you should be playing a different commander. So I just embrace the chaos and ride the roller coaster to wherever it takes me. I generally either win a crushing victory or do literal nothing. :)

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/braids-edh-mtgo/

Any cards you guys are expecting to see this weekend at the Pro Tour? Anything you want to break out?

5NstYmg.gif

There's a 2k PPTQ this weekend but I'm gonna miss it because my last 2-3 cards aren't gonna arrive from trades until monday or tuesday. There's a 1k PPTQ next week so I'll settle for that.

Maledict

The art for that sword is so terrible when you post it up there like that. What are they thinking with this current CGI stuff...

Hackworth

I went and pulled up my Braids list that I play sometimes on MTGO. It's decent, but it's not perfect - Braids is a really hard deck to win with because it's so hard to break the symmetry without just playing all of the broken blue spells (mono Time Warps.dek), and at that point you should be playing a different commander. So I just embrace the chaos and ride the roller coaster to wherever it takes me. I generally either win a crushing victory or do literal nothing. :)

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/braids-edh-mtgo/
Aside from the cards I don't have, this looks like the list I worked up. Ta.

Dear god the crack of opening cards, I hate hearthstone but I still play it every once in awhile when there's a fun Tavern Brawl and just pulled back to back gold rare + legendary and epic + legendary.

Can't wait for drafting tomorrow.

I really want someone to play Crash of Rhinos, although I know it's terrible.

What I'm hoping is that someone will have finally figured out the 5-color Bring to Light deck - if it's possible to make that deck work, the PT is where it will happen.

Angry Grimace

I really want someone to play Crash of Rhinos, although I know it's terrible.

What I'm hoping is that someone will have finally figured out the 5-color Bring to Light deck - if it's possible to make that deck work, the PT is where it will happen.

Maybe there's a secret version out there, but every time I've played it it was far too ponderous to get around Mantis Riders and such.

Angry Grimace

I just think it's a real bad matchup vs. Jeskai because post board, you are boarding in all of the counters.

It doesn't seem like an amazing matchup pre-board, really. But I don't know, you're right I'm only really playing the one deck.

MTGO and it's shitty fucking randomizer can suck a dick. One game I draw 16 straight lands when we're topdecking each other; the next game I don't draw a single one of my 18 sources of black mana in 8 turns.

Laughable. This shit doesn't happen in real life.

Angry Grimace

MTGO and it's shitty fucking randomizer can suck a dick. One game I draw 16 straight lands when we're topdecking each other; the next game I don't draw a single one of my 18 sources of black mana in 8 turns.

Laughable. This shit doesn't happen in real life.

That's because you aren't sufficiently randomizing the cards in real life. Seriously.

The most annoying part about MTGO is players who stack shit really slowly and don't press F2 ever.

Angry Grimace

The codenames are just random words, why do so many people care lol

Hackworth

Went back to bulding Braids and now I've got ~75% of a list maybe. I'll fill it with islands and it'll probably work ok. Mild sea monster tribal and Whelming Wave should make up for me not owning Inundate probably.

I have a regular EDH list that's super competitive and probably expensive to build. Interested?
Yup. Like, even if I can't build it it'll give me ideas. Thanks.

Crocodile

A) Anybody who legit thinks Outlast should have been an instant speed mechanic HATES limited Magic. Just......no

B) Rare redrafting is great, everybody just has to agree on it beforehand. It's the most pure form of drafting because everybody plays to win rather than draft for money. At my store, we rare redraft AND have prize packs. It's great. It's how I'm able to get most of the cards I need for my Cube while keeping costs down if I don't/can't jump on singles near release for cards I think/know are undervalued.

C) That Boros Commander legend looks great for my Tribal Cube. Yearly Commander sets have been great for Cubes of all sorts :)

Angry Grimace

A) Anybody who legit thinks Outlast should have been an instant speed mechanic HATES limited Magic. Just......no

B) Rare redrafting is great, everybody just has to agree on it beforehand. It's the most pure form of drafting because everybody plays to win rather than draft for money. At my store, we rare redraft AND have prize packs. It's great. It's how I'm able to get most of the cards I need for my Cube while keeping costs down if I don't/can't jump on singles near release for cards I think/know are undervalued.

C) That Boros Commander legend looks great for my Tribal Cube. Yearly Commander sets have been great for Cubes of all sorts :)

It would be like Hangarback Walker but miserable because of all the Outlast Lords you were intended to be drafting alongside the Outlast guys.

But yeah, you're not gonna get many people to agree on rare redrafting. Rare redrafting is a system for skilled players to shark new players cards.

traveler

Not Wario
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";181813439]Any cards you guys are expecting to see this weekend at the Pro Tour? Anything you want to break out?

5NstYmg.gif

There's a 2k PPTQ this weekend but I'm gonna miss it because my last 2-3 cards aren't gonna arrive from trades until monday or tuesday. There's a 1k PPTQ next week so I'll settle for that.[/QUOTE]

I really want to see Woodland Bellower drop a Mantis Rider on people. No idea how you even get a deck around that, but I just think it'd be great. Being able to fetch up your singleton dragonmaster on demand would be pretty cool too. Guess woodland jeskai doesn't have quite the same ring to it as Jeskai Black.

On a more serious note, I think Orator of Ojutai is pretty well positioned right now. I'm ok with the card dying to most removal and the only way most early game threats are beating it is with the help of removal.

I really want to see Woodland Bellower drop a Mantis Rider on people. No idea how you even get a deck around that, but I just think it'd be great. Being able to fetch up your singleton dragonmaster on demand would be pretty cool too. Guess woodland jeskai doesn't have quite the same ring to it as Jeskai Black.

Woodland bellower can only fetch green creatures.

Went back to bulding Braids and now I've got ~75% of a list maybe. I'll fill it with islands and it'll probably work ok. Mild sea monster tribal and Whelming Wave should make up for me not owning Inundate probably.

Yup. Like, even if I can't build it it'll give me ideas. Thanks.

Sent it via PM.

Braids is banned in regular EDH by the way. The black one I mean.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom